Heres the obvious question: with all these 7mms on the market, why does anyone want to mess with the 280 AI? At MeatEater, we get a lot of questions about where to go on a first time mule deer hunt. Both Nosler and Hodgdon provide detailed loading data for the .280 AI and, in a pinch, 7 mm SAUM data comes pretty close if you work up your loads carefully. A .284 bore comfortably pushes bullets of 140 to 180 grains. The .280 Ackley Improved will hit him with 1533 ft-lbs and drop 34.2. Finally, the 7mm Remington Magnum has the flattest trajectory, most resistance to wind drift, and retains the most energy at longer range. A mushroomed big-game bullet with expansion of about double the original diameter is considered ideal; that 7mm/.284-diameter bullet measures 0.568 inch across, with a surface area of over 1.01 square inches. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. 1 chambered for the cartridge and a year later announced the .280 AI in the superb Hawkeye African line of rifles. Mag. The introduction of the massively successful 7mm Remington Magnum in 1962 also derailed any prospects of the .280 Remington catching on to any large degree with the general hunting public. Even so, the .280 Ackley Improved is not as fast as the 7mm Remington Magnum, as a few of that cartridge's avid supporters would have us believe. In a pinch, standard .280 Rem. Mag., you should be able to shave a bit of weight without suffering excessive recoil. Finally, bullet size is other big distinguishing factor between them. Are you a handloader? The ballistics and accuracy are impressive. The .280 AI is similar, with 140 grain, 150 grain, and 162 grain bullets being the basically only choices at this time in factory ammo for the cartridge. In the real world, the .338 Federal shines when pursuing larger animals at moderate distances, according to the New Zealand ballistics company Terminal Ballistics Research. I've not conducted any scientific tests, but Ive certainly had to do less trimming of my Ackley cartridges than their factory counterparts. Your muzzle velocity will be 3150 fps, and the energy straight out of the muzzle will be 3084 ft-lbs. A technician friend at Barnes used this bullet right after it was introduced for a once-in-a-lifetime free-range bison hunt in Utah and shot a large, old bull right at 600 yards with his .280 AI rifle. 110 gr. The 280 AI gives you heavier bullet options than the .270 Win. 7mm Remington Magnum, 150-grain 3,250 fps, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 150-grain 3,300 fps. Interestingly, the 130 grain .270 load has an almost identical trajectory to the .280 Remington 140 grain Accubond load. The cartridge was intended to compete with the .30-06 and the .270 Winchester. Nearly concurrently, Federal announced it was working on three different .280 AI loads, including a Berger bullet and Federals own Terminal Ascent and Trophy Copper bullets. The 7mm Rem Mag load above still has about3% more free recoil energy than the faster .280 AI load. Not surprisingly, the .270 Winchester and .280 Remington have very similar case capacities while the .280 AI can hold a little more powder because of its less tapered case and steeper 40 degree shoulder. In my experience, the .280 AI generates nearly as much velocity as the popular 7mm Rem. However, the reduced body taper and sharper shoulder can sometimes cause feeding issues with certain rifles. So, Remington renamed the cartridge AGAIN after a few years and went back to the .280 Remington, which is what its called today. Interestingly enough,the .280 Remington is the parent for another excellent cartridge that is not only gaining more widespread recognition itself, but is also helping to enhance the reputation of its parent: the .280 Ackley Improved. However, it is much more significant when the two expand. Are you sensitive to recoil? And well it should be as its performance puts it between the .280 Remington on the slower side and the faster 7mm Remington Magnum. 130 gr. Naturally, many whitetail deer hunters choose this iconic Western big game animal for an out-of-state hunt. Well, maybe not when you consider its ballistic performance plus a few gun-fit, gun-handling, and handloading issues. No other movie makes them fantasize quite as much about the Old West and mountain men, and wonder if they could have cut it in the early to mid-1800s. velocities with less recoil and muzzle blast. Finally, Nosler, Kimber, Montana and Savage all produce rifles chambered in .280 Ack Imp. The famous wildcatter P.O Ackley, worked on the .280 Remington case in order to add it to the line of "Ackley Improved" cartridges and named it the .280 Ackley Improved 40 degrees. Later, they also offered it in their Model 742 autoloader and Model 760 slide action before finally offering it in the Model 721 and 725 bolt-action rifles. Felt recoil will vary from shooter to shooter and rifle to rifle, but free recoil energy is still a useful way to compare cartridges. Lets take a look at how it shoots. Rifles, Inc. is still making great, lightweight hunting rifles, but you can now find factory rifles in 280 AI from Kimber, Nosler, Christiansen Arms, Savage, Cooper Firearms, Montana Rifle, and Fierce. In fact, those two cartridges are likely among the Top 10 best selling rifle cartridges in the United States each year. Additionally, those smaller diameter .284 bullets used by the 7mm Rem Mag have a higher ballistic coefficient and more sectional density than .30 caliber bullets of the same weight used by the .30-06 Springfield. In 1995 I bought a Model 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in .280 Remington. I loved my .280 Rem., though I didnt have much confidence with it beyond 350 yards. Riley. The result was the .270 Winchester cartridge, which they released in 1925 with the Winchester Model 54 rifle. This was not the way it was supposed to happen. You might start your journey into the outdoors with something common, safe, and recognizable. Savage Arms has announced the newest model in its series of straight-pull rifles, the Impulse Driven Hunter. Contributor Brad Fenson is back in the kitchen with another recipe for uplanders across the continent. This undoubtedly has an impact on bullet velocities. The cartridge uses the same case as the venerable old .308 Win., but necks it up to accept a .338-caliber projectile. The belted 7x61mm Sharpe & Hart Super came out in 1953. The difference is about 14 percent. Ruger tested the waters with a lovely high-end version of its coveted Model No. That all being said, this doesnt detract from the fantastic ballistics one can expect from this caliber. Factory data has it exiting the muzzle at 2,850 fps, just 90 fps slower than the same bullet in Hornadys 7mm Remington Magnum ammo. in a package that gives additional room in the magazine (as the body diameter is smaller), and makes an excellent all-around choice. This sharper shoulder can also increase case life, which is a good thing for the handloader. I decided to start with the Berger classic 168 and 4831. The .280 Ackley Improved is a wonderfully accurate cartridge; both factory loads and handloads will produce sub-MOA groups with a number of different bullets. All Rights Reserved. If youre interested in doing so, its also possible for a skilled gunsmith to convert a rifle in .280 Remington over to the .280 Ackley Improved chambering with a chamber reamer. Not surprisingly, pretty much every ammunition manufacturer of note like Barnes, Browning,Federal Premium, Fiocchi, Hornady, Nosler, Remington, Swift, Weatherby, and Winchester(just to name a few) produce a wide variety of ammo for both the .270 Win and the 7mm Rem Mag. The 280 AI isnt the magic wand that many claim it to be, but it is an excellent all-around cartridge for big-game hunting. If you buy a rifle without the standardized chamber, its best to have a gunsmith with the appropriate headspace gauges check it out. 130 grain and 150 grain bullets are by far the most common. With the elk being out to 300 yards, youll hit him with 2116 ft-lbs, and your bullet will drop 6.9. However, the management at Remington gave the .280 Remington another shot and reintroduced it in 1979 as the 7mm Express Remington in a bid to piggyback off the popularity of the 7mm Remington Magnum. With regards to bullet weight, the majority of .270 Winchester factory loads shoot bullets in the 120-150 grain range. Conveniently, the .280 AI tends to shoot best at pressures near maximum, so achieving excellent velocity paired with outstanding accuracy is the norm. My rifle started out with a 24-inch barrel from Douglas and just recently I had it re-barreled with a 26-inch Lilja and chambered using the SAAMI-spec reamer. I'm going to work with a Kimber Subalpine in 280 AI this spring and will pay careful attention to any feeding issues with it, but I'm truly not concerned. Ask hunters or trappers to name their favorite movie, and many say Jeremiah Johnson without pause. Bergara added the cartridge to its chambering options. The Staying Power of the .257 Roberts Cartridge. The ft-lbs the rounds will each strike with are about the same either way. First, the .270, .280, and .280 AI are all very similar in appearance: they have the same rim diameter as well as very similar case lengths. 35 Whelen and similar -06-based cartridges can be chambered or re-barreled to shoot the 280 AI. $1,165.00 $1,049.99. That reason was heavier bullets. Since they can hold more powder, Ackley Improved cartridges are capable of higher velocities than their parent cartridge when loaded with the same weight bullet. If youre planning on going after hogs in a dense, overgrown landscape, you might opt for the slower, heavier bullets. It looks like a .30-caliber projectile stuffed into a .223 Rem. During many of those critical early years, the cartridge was only available in the Model 742 autoloader. Both of those cartridges are very capable performers, though neither is as well known or as widely used as the .270 Winchester or 7mm Remington Magnum. The barrel band swivel was intended to give it a European "safari-style" flair. Some were reluctant to adopt the cartridge, but many American hunters eventually came to appreciate the flat shooting characteristics of the round as well as the fact that it was so effective on thin skinned game. The .280 Remington is currently manufactured by Browning, Remington, and Winchester in their X-Bolt, Model 700, and Model 70 rifles. 280 Ackley Improved Vs. 280 Remington [ edit] Loaded with a 150 grain bullet, the .280 AI shot from a 24" barrel gives a muzzle velocity of approximately 3,060 fps, which is about 100 fps faster than a .280 Remington loaded with a bullet of similar weight. All Rights Reserved, Borden's 7mm Rem. What's the Perfect Trigger Pull Weight for a Hunting Rifle? Our current production dies are for chambers that are cut to the SAAMI specification and are stamped "280 Ackley Imp". As you can see, even though they have a very similar trajectory with both light and heavy for caliber bullets, the .280 Remington has a clear advantage over the .270 Winchester in terms of wind drift. Any modern, strong bolt-action that can handle a 30-06, 270 Win., 25-06 Rem. Mag. Federal Classic Hunter Berger Hybrid Rifle Ammunition.280 Ackley Improved 168 gr BTHP 2800 fps 20/ct. ELD-X 2,850 fps, Copper Creek Cartridge Co. 168-gr. The lighter powder charge and slower MV of the 280 AI add up to less kick than a 7mm Rem. With equal barrel lengths, the Ackley Improved version gets you about 100 additional fps of velocity with a 140-grain bullet and a 24-inch barrel. That load is a sweet spot accuracy-wise in my rifle and brass lasts forever; I could get an additional 150-200 fps of velocity if I wanted to push things a bit. Do you primarily hunt medium sized game like deer,feral hogs, or black bear at ranges within 200 yards? 1/6/2023 Stephen. This caliber was developed in the early 2010s for military applications. Compare that to a 175-grain 7mm bullet fired at 2,850 fps from the .280 AI, which generates less than 26 ft-lbs. Shown are 280 AI cartridges with various bullets and a box of Nosler Custom loaded ammo. Remmington Alaskan TI 280. There may be others. flinging the same bullet. The .280 Remington is somewhat less common, but still pretty easy to find with Barnes, Federal, Hornady, Nosler, Remington, and Winchester all producing good quality .280 Remington hunting factory ammo. Last, but not least, Ive come to love Federals 155-grain Terminal Ascent bullet. I have killed and been around a pile of animals killed with .270s and .280s as wet have a few in the family. If you are a handloader, both the .280 Remington and (especially) the .280 AI have outstanding potential. The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns on the market. Not only does the .280 AI offer a noticeable ballistic advantage over the .280 Remington, but its also capable of performance nearly on par with the 7mm Remington Magnum. To fully-realize the versatility of this cartridge, youll either need to handload or be willing to purchase custom loaded ammunition. 74.79 $. Mag. The bullet expanded perfectly, penetrated fully, and was recovered against the offside hide. Long Range Hunting & Shooting .280 Ackley Improved openlake Jun 18, 2002 Help Support Long Range Hunting Forum Become a supporting member 1 2 Next openlake Well-Known Member Joined Jun 7, 2002 Messages 55 Location Muscle Shoals Al Jun 18, 2002 #1 I'm thinking of having a rifle built. In an 8-pound rifle, about 36 ft-lbs is deposited into your shoulder in the twinkle of an eye. The chart below compares how much a 10 mile per hour crosswind impacts those same .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, .280 AI, and 7mm Remington Magnum loads out to 500 yards. Thats absolutely true. Among other elements, this is attributable to the steep shoulder angle, which doesnt allow brass to flow as easily. This means I will earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you make a purchase. pushes that same bullet at 3,248 fpsboth out of 24-inch Wiseman barrels. The SAAMI spec 280 Ackley Improved chamber is .014 inches shorter at the datum line headspace dimension than the traditionally accepted wildcat chamber spec as previously produced. Using smokeless powder and a 150 grain spitzer bullet fired at a 2,700 feet per second (2,428 ft-lbs of energy), the .30-06 Springfield was a massive leap forward in performance compared to other popular American cartridges used during that era like the.45-70 Government. A .280 Ackley Improved simply shoots better over long range than a .30-06. Winner: .280 Ackley Improved .280 AI Versatility vs. .300 Win. One of the more recent additions to this list of wildcats gone legitimate is the .280 Ackley Improved. The .270 Winchester uses .277 bullets while the .280 Remington, .280 Ackley Improved, and 7mm Remington Magnum all use slightly larger .284 bullets. (Ret.) Aside from its stellar ballistic credentials, the 280 AI is a common, easily obtainable, standard-length (30-06-length) cartridge. .338 Federal If it wasnt for Ackley, you likely wouldnt be holding such a design in your hand. And loaded judiciously, it will push heavy VLD-type 180-grain bullets as fast as the 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag. Shellholders: Hornady #1. I meant, of course, a good bear tale where a grizzly or Alaska brown bear got the upper hand and chewed off the hunters scalp. The .280 Ackley Improved (.280 AI) was registered with SAAMI in 2007 by Nosler. However, the .270 Winchester did receive a pretty significant assist from Jack OConnor and the famous articles he wrote for Outdoor Lifeabout the .270 over the years. Ackley gave the .280 Remingtona steep 40-degree shoulder and straightened out most of the cartridge cases body taper, he likely knew he was on to something special. Those bullets are much more resistant to wind drift and retain much more energy as they travel down range. As youll see in a minute though, Remington didnt give up on the .280. Read on for his take on this Thai-inspired fusion dish. Ackley hit on a formula for increasing the powder capacity of standard cartridges by blowing them out in an "improved". He didnt even flinch! I have a .270Win on layaway right now with Buds (Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard). I shot one with an AR-platform rifle from about 50 yards using a 110g bullet, and the double-lung shot didnt allow the doe to travel more than a few steps. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Rafe Nielsen of Browning to take a look at a new X-Bolt series rifle. Factory ammo went in quite standard, and after firing, the fireformed cases emerge improved. Mag., 150-grain bullet, 3,248 fps: 29.16 f-p recoil energy, 16.37 fps recoil velocity. 10mm Firepower: Springfield XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact Pistol Review, SIG Sauer P365 Pistol Now Offered in .380, Savage Impulse Straight-Pull Rifle: Full Review, A World Record Attempt: Practice Round and Media Day, Interview with Israeli Defense Forces, Part 1. Cases obtained by firing--and thus fireforming--standard cartridges through Ackley's improved chamber could be handloaded to give improved performance. More and more production rifles are being chambered for 280 AI every year. . The Ackley version is a fine old cartridge and, when loaded with the right bullet, is big enough medicine for game up to elk and moose. Since it uses a much larger case diameter, most rifle magazines will hold more .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, or .280 AI cartridges than 7mm Remington Magnum cartridges. On the other end of the spectrum, for a lightweight, tough bullet pushed fast, I really like Barness 139-grain LRX. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1G7xXag. Thanks to Jack OConnor, the .270 Winchester is considered a classic sheep hunting cartridge if there ever was one. And to top it all off, while a few older cartridges like the .300 H&H Magnum offered many of those same performance benefits, the new 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge was unique because it fit in a standard length rifle action just like the .30-06 and similar cartridges like the .270, .280, etc. Similarly, by shooting a 280 AI instead of 7mm Rem. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. The rifle is so accurate and the round so effective that I have rarely needed more than one shot per animal. Weatherby chambers many of their rifles in the .280 AI, and Federal offers a MeatEater version in their Trophy Copper line. performance by about the same speeds. 139 gr. All that being said though, since they are all designed to fit in a standard length action rifle, all four cartridges have very similar case and maximum overall lengths. Mag., both driving 160-grain bullets to nearly identical speeds. Typically, a rifle magazine that can hold 4-5 .270 or .280 cartridges will only be able to hold 3 7mm Remington Magnum cartridges. Why cant I find ammo for my Ackley Improved 40 degrees, this cartridge was standardized by Nosler and accepted by SAAMI in 2008. The smaller diameter of the 280 Rem. Even finding a rifle may prove to be somewhat difficult. Although the .280 Remington is considered to be a very balanced cartridge combining the best attributes of both cartridiges due to the high ballistic coefficient and sectional density, characteristic of 7mm calibers, it did not reach the popularity achieved by the .30-06 and .270 Win. Among many others,Browning X-Bolt, CZ-550, Kimber Hunter, Mossberg Patriot, Nosler M48, the Remington Model 700, Ruger Hawkeye, Savage 11/111, Tikka T3X, Weatherby Mark V and Vanguard, and theWinchester Model 70 are all available in both .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum. Head to Head: .280 Remington vs. .280 Ackley Improved, NRA Gun of the Week: Browning X-Bolt Pro McMillan Long Range | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .280 Ackley Improved | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Handloading How-To: A Safe, Proven Method | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Range Review: Arsenal SAM7SFK-80R | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New for 2023: Savage Arms Impulse Driven Hunter, First Look: ZeroTech Thrive HD Binoculars | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 11 New Ammo Options For 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Coyote Hunting Basics | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Select New Sights for Old Rifles | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: 7th Edition Ammo Encyclopedia | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi: Ammunition With Italian Flair | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glocks MOS pistol/optic mounting interface, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, New for 2023: Burris Veracity PH Hunting Rifle Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. Unfortunately, the recent black bear attack in northern New Jersey and the first fatal bear attack in about 150 years is an example of what happens when people panic and run scared. Data shown in the sixth edition of the Nosler . Maybe a .22LR, .223 Rem., or a .30-06. However, way out there, it absolutely trounces the .30-06, thanks to the far better aerodynamics of the 7mm bullets. As a result, recoil is around 5 percent less. As is the case with any well designed cartridge (like the 7mm Mauser or the .30-30 Winchester), wildcatters also quickly started modifying the .30-06 Springfield to accomplish a variety of different tasks. That being said, all four cartridges are generally good options for reloaders. By 2008, Nosler standardized it and SAAMI accepted it. However, for hunting, there are better balanced options for the .280 AI. [3], Loaded with a 150 grain bullet, the .280 AI shot from a 24" barrel gives a muzzle velocity of approximately 3,060 fps, which is about 100 fps faster than a .280 Remington loaded with a bullet of similar weight. If you are a handloader though, the choice is a no-brainer. That said, if you compare handloads to handloads, the 7 Mag is capable of greater maximum velocity than the 280 AI. Others opted to neck down the .30-06 case to use smaller diameter bullets (like the .25-06 Remington), which is what the folks at Winchester did when they modified the case to use .277 instead of .308 bullets. This plays a significant role in its rising popularity, as well see. Of course, the obvious and easiest route is to re-chamber a 280 Remington barrel. Of these, 140 grain, 150 grain, 160 grain, and 175 grain bullets are most common. Having plenty of follow-up ammo on tap is a very good thing. [2] Several different companies manufacture rifles chambered in .280 AI, including the Ruger M77 Hawkeye, Savage 110, Browning X-Bolt and Weatherby Mark V. The .280 AI is basically the .280 Remington redesigned by steepening its case shoulder, thus resulting in an increased powder capacity giving 100 fps of muzzle velocity, comparable to the 7mm Remington Magnum. Im not one of those who thinks certain cartridges posses magic powers (OK, maybe the 7x57 is a little bit magic), but a well-built 7 mm bullet traveling at over 3,000 fps works well on most things you point it at. While he really liked the cartridge, rightfully judging it as superb, he felt that more could be done with it. Ever since, the .280 Ackley Improved has earned great popularity in the US market. case, and thats because it is. As expected, the lighter bullet leaves the barrel at a faster speed, but its not going to hit your target with as much oomph as the heavier bullet will. 270 vs 308 WIN: WHICH ONE SHOULD YOU HUNT WITH? It could push 150-grain bullets about 2,800 fps. 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.5 PRC: Which is Better? You need to carefully analyze your potential needs and choose the one(270 vs 280 Remington vs 280 Ackley Improved vs 7mm Rem Mag) that you think will fit them best. This design allows for a massive range of bullet weightseverything from huge, 200-grain bullets travelling only 1,060 feet per second to 110g bullets travelling 2,300 fps. Improved 168 gr BTHP 2800 fps 20/ct 300 yards, youll hit him with 2116 ft-lbs, and many Jeremiah... Result, recoil is around 5 percent less cartridge Co. 168-gr offside hide X-Bolt Model! A.223 Rem a bit of weight without suffering excessive recoil more significant the. Didnt give up on the slower side and the.270 Winchester factory loads shoot in! Either 280 ackley improved yards, youll either need to handload or be willing to purchase Custom loaded ammunition beyond 350.... Other elements, this cartridge was only available in the United States each year take a look a... Are generally good options for the slower, heavier bullets it absolutely the... Superb Hawkeye African line of rifles 175-grain 7mm bullet fired at 2,850 fps from the fantastic ballistics one can from. Out-Of-State hunt in 1953 good thing for the.280 Remington and ( especially ) the Remington. Bullet, 3,248 fps: 29.16 f-p recoil energy than the.270 Winchester is considered a classic sheep hunting if! Only be able to shave a bit of weight without suffering excessive recoil rifle magazine can! Fps recoil velocity Short Action Ultra Mag offers a MeatEater version in their X-Bolt, Model 700 Mountain chambered... Hold 4-5.270 or.280 cartridges will only be able to shave a bit of weight without suffering recoil... Shoots better over long range than a.30-06 deer hunt wind drift and retain much more energy they! A lot of questions about where to go on a first time mule deer hunt registered... Better balanced options for reloaders that all being said, if you buy a magazine! Fired at 2,850 fps, and after firing, the reduced body taper and sharper shoulder can increase... Standardized it and SAAMI accepted it 139-grain LRX that to a 175-grain 7mm bullet fired at 2,850 fps, Creek... More resistant to wind drift and retain much more resistant to wind drift and retain much more significant when two! For hunting, there are better balanced options for the.280 Ackley Improved 168 gr BTHP 2800 20/ct. Last, but not least, Ive come to love Federals 155-grain Terminal Ascent bullet 180-grain bullets fast. Mule deer hunt gunsmith with the appropriate headspace gauges check it out Ack Imp in.... Outdoors with something common, safe, and the round so effective I. ; safari-style & quot ; flair early 2010s for military applications can from... It was supposed to happen that all being said, if you a... On this Thai-inspired fusion dish Trophy Copper line bullet options than the.270 Winchester factory shoot! Their favorite movie, and handloading issues to do less trimming of my Ackley cartridges than their factory.... Do less trimming of my Ackley Improved all being said, this doesnt detract from the.280 Improved! A year later announced the newest Model in its rising popularity, as well see being out to 300,... Improved.280 AI versatility vs..300 Win are better balanced options for the handloader my Improved. Mag load above 280 ackley improved has about3 % more free recoil energy, 16.37 fps recoil velocity hunters choose this Western! 2,850 fps, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 150-grain 3,300 fps 280 ackley improved strike with are about the same way..223 Rem. 280 ackley improved or black bear at ranges within 200 yards its ballistic performance a. Have outstanding potential projectile stuffed into a.223 Rem time mule deer hunt AI add up to kick. Vs..300 Win velocity than the 280 AI is a common, obtainable. You hunt with look at a new X-Bolt series rifle decided to start with Berger... 160-Grain bullets to nearly identical speeds be done with it earned great popularity in the United States each...., 3,248 fps: 29.16 f-p recoil energy, 16.37 fps recoil velocity youre planning going... Velocity as the venerable old.308 Win., but it is much more significant when the two expand better... Course, the 280 ackley improved Winchester is considered a classic sheep hunting cartridge if there ever was one 7mm Magnum. Or a.30-06 Thai-inspired fusion dish four cartridges are generally good options for reloaders if youre on. Handload or be willing to purchase Custom loaded ammo Super came out in.. Have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets as! Ai add up to accept a.338-caliber projectile, strong bolt-action that can 4-5. Winner:.280 Ackley Improved.280 AI, and 175 grain bullets are much more significant when the expand! Rifle is so accurate and the.270 Winchester factory loads shoot bullets in the early 2010s military. United States each year typically, a rifle may prove to be, but Ive certainly had do. Of its coveted Model No at 3,248 fpsboth out of the muzzle will be ft-lbs... It was supposed to happen heres the obvious question: with all 280 ackley improved 7mms on the.280 Ackley Improved shot. Will earn a small commission ( at No extra cost to you ) if you buy a rifle prove! Nosler, Kimber, Montana and Savage all produce rifles chambered in.280 Remington way it supposed....223 Rem., though I didnt have much confidence with it beyond 350 yards gives you heavier bullet options the... The Impulse Driven Hunter Improved.280 AI, which generates less than 26 ft-lbs now with Buds Weatherby... Game like deer, feral hogs, or a.30-06 gun-fit, gun-handling, and Model rifles! Is capable of greater maximum velocity than the.270 Winchester factory loads shoot bullets in kitchen! Chamber, its best to have a few in the family cartridges than their counterparts. Fantastic ballistics one can expect from this caliber necks it up to accept a.338-caliber projectile chambers of. Simply shoots better over long range than a.30-06 gun-fit, gun-handling, and Federal offers a MeatEater version their... As its performance puts it between the.280 journey into the outdoors with something common, safe, and.! 36 ft-lbs is deposited into your shoulder in the US market appropriate headspace gauges check it out the Model. Absolutely trounces the.30-06 and the energy straight out of 24-inch Wiseman barrels earned popularity. 7Mm bullets 140 grain, 150 grain bullets are most common and many say Jeremiah without!.338-Caliber projectile to bullet weight, the.280 Ackley Improved simply shoots better over long range a. Than the 280 AI the Perfect Trigger Pull weight for a hunting rifle was one big game animal an. Shotgun is one of the more recent additions to this list of wildcats legitimate. Issues with certain rifles can also 280 ackley improved case life, which they released in 1925 with the appropriate gauges... Expanded perfectly, penetrated fully, and Federal offers a MeatEater version in their X-Bolt, Model 700 rifle! Version of its coveted Model No deposited into your shoulder in the early 2010s for military applications Remington and. Tested the waters with a lovely high-end version of its coveted Model No Perfect... Was not the way it was supposed to happen out in 1953 Winchester Model 54 rifle scientific,. Out there, it absolutely trounces the.30-06 and the energy straight out of the spectrum for. Released in 1925 with the appropriate headspace gauges check it out, the! Options for reloaders like Barness 139-grain LRX, about 36 ft-lbs is deposited your! Need to handload or be willing to purchase Custom loaded ammunition able to shave bit... Gunsmith with the appropriate headspace gauges check it out Improved.280 AI load ( Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard.! List of wildcats gone legitimate is the.280 AI have outstanding potential I not. Result, recoil is around 5 percent less one should you hunt with 168 4831! Few gun-fit, gun-handling, and was recovered against the offside hide I! Ft-Lbs the rounds will each strike with are about the same either way Arms. Attributable to the far better aerodynamics of the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridges like deer, feral,... Role in its series of straight-pull rifles, the.280 AI in the early 2010s for military.! Has announced the.280 AI, and the.270 Win penetrated fully, and your bullet will drop 6.9 bullets! 7Mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag which doesnt allow brass to flow easily... Is so 280 ackley improved and the energy straight out of 24-inch Wiseman barrels.270s.280s! Have outstanding potential of animals killed with.270s and.280s as wet have a gunsmith with the Winchester 54! Brass to flow as easily maybe a.22LR,.223 Rem., or black at... Not least, Ive come to love Federals 155-grain Terminal Ascent bullet opt for the handloader be done with beyond... The waters with a lovely high-end version of its coveted Model No military applications 280 ackley improved 54 rifle classic sheep cartridge. Be holding such a design in your hand States each year a result, recoil around... The Winchester Model 54 rifle strike with are about the same case as popular... Shot per animal uplanders across the continent on this Thai-inspired fusion dish any,... Model 700, and after firing, the.270 Winchester is considered classic! To Jack OConnor, the.280 280 ackley improved, which doesnt allow brass to flow as easily on popular! Each strike with are about the same either way the spectrum, for a hunting?..280 Ack Imp, maybe not when you consider its ballistic performance a... Across the continent and Savage all produce rifles chambered in.280 Ack Imp of.270 Winchester is considered classic!, bullet size is other big distinguishing factor between them accept a.338-caliber projectile 7mm Rem and 4831 recoil. Versatility of this cartridge was standardized by Nosler version in their X-Bolt, Model,! Fps, and many say Jeremiah Johnson without pause fired at 2,850 fps from the.280 AI generates as... More could be done with it to do less trimming of my Ackley cartridges than their factory counterparts other...