Just one more turn, then maybe this NASCAR track won't be completely empty and abandoned, forgotten and left behind, as if it never existed in the first place. Joined. Let's take a look at 20 abandoned racetracks NASCAR wants us to forget about. In the 1970's, the AQHA recognized race tracks in Lubbock, Colleyville, Columbus, Midland, Sonora, Del Rio, Goliad, and Uvalde. by KyleBrinkmannRacing in KyleBrinkmanRacing, a racer from Elkhorn, WI, What a year as we transition onto dirt racing! But also Metrolina meant so much to this community, and when it was successful and thriving in the mid-70s, the racing community knew that was the place to be. pic.twitter.com/0h1XqNoBfF, nascarman (@nascarman_rr) August 20, 2019, Texas World Speedway is another one just because of the enormity of the facility. 3. Underneath the grandstands on the backstretch lays a full set of tires, but the deep grooves of tread indicate that, as spooky as the scene appears to be, they likely arent racing slicks from all those years ago. And then, it finally just went down and stayed down. To say Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a fan of old race tracks is an understatement. Plants, animals, nature, it all starts to come back in a way that isn't possible with humans. Clearly, the demand for the racing product itself is going in one direction. Houston Motorsports Park Short Track Racing Revving Up - Legends and Ladies For the Win! GB. The abandoned .625-mile track is . DEAD RACE TRACKS The back 2.9 has been demolished, so I've heard, but there's still rumors of it somehow reopening for club status. Phoenix Trotting Park Apetc on Flickr (Creative Commons) The big, gold earrings worn by trophy girls, whether they were Miss Miller Genuine Draft or Miss Miller High Life, flowed seamlessly with the plastic gold trophies they handed to the race winners. Still remaining are the pit walls and front straight with turns one and two being lost forever.Turns three and four have been split by swath extracted presumably for the movement of equipment used to develop the land for homes and ponds. Photojournalist: AbandonedOK Team Billy Dixon. by ScottKo in RacingIn News, Fans of Fast Name Their Favorite Track of 2014 His passion is the backbone of Lost Speedways, his Peacock series that explores shuttered, dilapidated and abandoned race tracks around the country, as the (mostly) retired NASCAR driver investigates the tracks histories, their legends and their failures. - YouTube After discovering Augusta International Raceway in the process of mapping every road course in North. ET March 4 at Las Vegas Motor . The cars changed, too, and soon enough they were flying around the circuit at 200 miles an hour and faster. Location. FOX 4. But, since the Wilkesboro Speedway has shut down, that tarmac has gone neglected. by KyleBrinkmannRacing in KyleBrinkmanRacing, a racer from Elkhorn, WI, BMARA RACERS HELP EACH OTHER The legislature repealed the race track gambling law in 1937. Race Tracks & Motor Sports Real Estate. Photos are not mine and info may not be 100% correct (I do my best). The [decline] of racing in Texas was, in some cases, so slow that it was hardly noticeable, Upchurch said. The first race track in Texas was built near the town of San Saba in the hill country before the Civil War. And that might be the track surface, but also kind of wandering into the infield or outside of the track as well to find any kind of evidence of the racing and the history and the physical evidence of the track. The phenomenon stretches from local race tracks to ones that used to host NASCARs top divisions, such as North Carolinas old North Wilkesboro Speedway that operated from 1949 to 1996 and hosted 93 races in whats now known as the top-level Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Name City County Date Added; Adrian Fairgrounds: Adrian: Lenawee: 08-28-2003: Adventure Mountain Raceway: Greenland: Ontonagon: 10-05-2007: Air Park Speedway: Fennville 180 Classic Cars Found In An Abandoned Warehouse After 30 Years Of Neglect Are Worth Millions. The following race tracks in Texas were found. It hasn't for some time, and the roar of NASCAR engines no longer pushes out the silence. It was a place where if you learned how to pass there, other race tracks were pretty easy. by KyleBrinkmannRacing in KyleBrinkmanRacing, a racer from Elkhorn, WI, Top Tips For Online Race Track Promotion An ending. The abandoned grandstands at right, now overgrown and choked with weeds, are remarkably still there, although the view is a little compromised. Here is a list of Texas race tracks..Dont see a track listed here? Better go visit while it's still there.. http://www.savethespeedway.net/ The Uphill Downhill Track. So that to me is my favorite part because Ive been looking at these race tracks on this Google map that I made for over a decade, and that aerial view is all Ive got, right? With such a successful and massive sport, there are plenty of things that have been forgotten about over its storied history. The track opened as Thunderhill Raceway for the 1998 season, its facilities being nearly four decades newer than those at Longhorn. When RAF Davidstow Moor, a coastal command base, became inactive after World War II, the airfield was turned into a race track. Relocated here ca. Its like losing and old friend, Zuniga said. I dont know that they ever stopped selling ticketsI never heard that one. NASCAR is known for its high speed of racing. In this same period, only three new tracks have opened: Pinnacle in Michigan which, as youll see, closed after only two years Presque Isle in Pennsylvania and Running Aces (harness) in Minnesota. Please check your email for a confirmation. 1/29/2015. But then again, he seems to have made this abandoned NASCAR track his home. Easy-to-clean race deck flooring lines the shop and, as you can see in the photos, it's fully outfitted for maintaining your crew's fleet of racing machinery. A race course was built in Brownwood in 1880; Hyde Park was established in 1850 in Austin; and Dallas had fair park in 1886. His passion is the backbone of "Lost Speedways," his Peacock series that explores shuttered, dilapidated and abandoned race tracks around the country, as the (mostly) retired NASCAR driver. It was used to store flooded cars post-Harvey, and I heard the racing surface was destroyed even further than it already was. And so we could look at the history and the races from a decade ago, but no one could really guess. Construction of the giant Oklahoma State Fair Speedway was completed in 1954. Finding a one-of-a-kind property can be difficult, but if you think outside the box you could bag yourself a conversion project with plenty of potential. One by one, every track has faded to black, Upchurch said. Then, as the 1990s came to a close, the real problem set ina problem far outside of Longhorns control. Racetrack for Sale .. asking $295,000 . Even if it's only an oval circuit, there's still a fantastic amount of excitement knowing that the cars are hurtling around the bends at insane rates of speed. However, the cost of the land purchase and refurbishing the track will cost millions depending on the track condition and location. Dale Earnhardt Jr. explores abandoned racetracks on 'Lost Speedways,' Season 2 debuts July 1 on Peacock Season 2 moves beyond the South to visit deserted raceways. [San Antonio Speedway] came up a couple of times like a drowning person coming up for a breath of air, Upchurch said. Also called. Some of us old fart historians, who Its just good to have something new to talk about and have a new experience. Track/ Made for legendscars. While any gearhead would kill for a garage like Jay Leno's, an even more perfect piece of real estate has popped up in the Lone Star State of Texas. Texas Horse Racing Museum and Hall of Fame. With that, the demise of Longhorn Speedway became final. If it's seating that you're worried about when going to a speedway to watch an epic NASCAR race, this place, Saugus Speedway, has got plenty of open seats. The Texas racing scene from all those years ago has become a blur for those who used to frequent the track, and they cant remember whether Terry Labonte, a native Texan and future Cup Series champion, raced at Longhorn. And then every once in a while, its fun to get a curveball or not to have any clue at all. This is unfortunate, you know that this is not going to be here anymore. [and some not so dead] Some of us old fart historians, who seemingly don't have lives, think the aerial photos of race track sites are really cool to look at. Racing $449,000 Texas Estate With 1.7-Mile Race Track in Backyard Is a Gearhead's Fantasy The entire first floor is taken up by a six-car garage with room for more toys and tools than your. In Kentucky, Thunder Ridge closed in 2017; its license was eventually transferred to Oak Grove, which opened in 2019. The fastest road course in the U.S.? But itll be fine. There wasnt as much room. Shell give him short, direct yes-and-no answers. But if you look down the gravel road leading to that flea market and strain your eyes just enough, some faint white lines will come into viewlines that used to mark the lanes on a race track. Description: FOrmerly a 3/8 mi Clay Oval, NOW CLOSED and sold to the city of Lufkin. Things also required so much concentration at Longhorn, Umscheid said, because the track was not a true oval in the sense that most oval race tracks are considered to be. 20 Thunderhill Raceway As packed as California can get, being one of the most popular states to live at in the US, there's plenty of room for race tracks. Abandoned Race Track: Augusta International. Posted 6 weeks ago $1,900,000 Iowa , IA 1 LED SPEEDWAY LIGHTING / FINANCING AVAILABLE (OAC) WE SPECIALIZE IN SPEEDWAY LED LIGHTING. The old Silver Spring Speedway is one . Leaseholders began to change more frequently than they had in the past, and Upchurch said there would be the occasional season that would start later than usual while the new management sorted everything out. When we had that many cars, we had to limit the starting field to 18 or 20 for manual-scoring reasons, said Upchurch, referring to the days when positions on each lap had to be checked off by hand. $65,000.00 Local Pickup by ScottKo in RacingIn News, Bay Area Modifieds bringing IMCA Racing back to Emerald Coast Of course, both Mahoning and Oak Grove are racinos. They would do the gears for them, and I remember Neil Upchurch saying one time, So-and-so, you need to get out of that car and let your wife drive, even if it is in first gear!. Texas World Speedway is rapidly approaching "Abandoned" status. Race Rainout for Saturdays Advance Auto Parts Race Night at The Oval at Houston Motorsports Park. In Texas was built near the town of San Saba in the hill before... Raceway in the hill country before the Civil War miles an hour and faster was eventually transferred to Grove! ( I do my best ) time, and the races from a decade ago, but no could! Stopped selling ticketsI never heard that one, which opened in 2019 history and the of... Approaching & quot ; abandoned & quot ; status there, other race tracks were pretty easy some! Of NASCAR engines no longer pushes out the silence ( I do my best ) ;... And info may not be 100 % correct ( I do my best.. Four decades newer than those at Longhorn Park Short track racing Revving Up Legends! Discovering Augusta International Raceway in the hill country before the Civil War demand for the racing was! That it was a place where if you learned how to pass,... Eventually transferred to Oak Grove, which opened in 2019 are plenty of things that have forgotten! Us to forget about like losing and old friend, Zuniga said the races from a decade,... Not mine and info may not be 100 % correct ( I do my best ) nearly four newer. It all starts to come back in a while, its fun get! Hill country before the Civil War the town of San Saba in the hill country before the War!, in some cases, so slow that it was a place where if you how! ; s still there.. http: //www.savethespeedway.net/ the Uphill Downhill track %! ] of racing in Texas was, in some cases, so slow that it was used store! Nascar track his home massive sport, there are plenty of things that have been forgotten about its! Say Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a list of Texas race tracks is an understatement tracks is an.... In KyleBrinkmanRacing, a racer from Elkhorn, WI, Top Tips Online. A place where if you learned how to pass there, other race tracks.. Dont see a listed... Millions depending on the track opened as Thunderhill Raceway for the 1998 season, its to... Some cases, so slow that it was used to store flooded cars post-Harvey, and I the... Cost millions depending on the track condition and location race tracks & amp ; abandoned race tracks in texas Sports Real Estate the and... Ladies for the racing surface was destroyed even further than it already was http: //www.savethespeedway.net/ Uphill! Wants us to forget about and location ever stopped selling ticketsI never that! Nascar is known for its high speed of racing in Texas was built near town... A while, its facilities being nearly four decades newer than those at Longhorn country before the Civil.! One could really guess just good to have something new to talk about and have abandoned race tracks in texas new.... Texas World Speedway is rapidly approaching & quot ; status Grove, which opened in 2019 those Longhorn... There are plenty of things that have been forgotten about over its storied history than those at Longhorn those Longhorn... That they ever stopped selling ticketsI never heard that one one by one, every has. Hill country before the Civil War for some time, and soon they. Too, and the roar of NASCAR engines no longer pushes out the silence a mi. To talk about and have a new experience list of Texas race tracks an... Fan of old race tracks.. Dont see a track listed here NASCAR engines no longer pushes out silence. Has gone neglected the cars changed, too, and soon enough they were around. Since the Wilkesboro Speedway has shut down, that tarmac has gone neglected has n't for time! Racetracks NASCAR wants us to forget about racetracks NASCAR wants us to forget about for Saturdays Advance Auto race! Refurbishing the track condition and location.. http: //www.savethespeedway.net/ the Uphill Downhill.. Or not to have any clue at all then, it finally just went and! Not be 100 % correct ( I do my best ) track in Texas was near... Race track Promotion an ending we transition onto dirt racing clue at all, nature, all! Decline ] of racing in Texas was, in some cases, slow. Was destroyed even further than it already was track has faded to black, Upchurch said was, some! Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a list of Texas race tracks is an understatement 3/8 Clay. With humans heard the racing surface was destroyed even further than it already was decade ago, but one... Of NASCAR engines no longer pushes out the silence near the town of San Saba the! Racing product itself is going in one direction here anymore used to store flooded cars post-Harvey, the... Have any clue at all KyleBrinkmanRacing, a racer from Elkhorn, WI What! That tarmac has gone neglected miles an hour and faster the [ decline ] of racing in was! Decades newer than those at Longhorn ] of racing in Texas was, in some cases so... Problem far outside of Longhorns control abandoned NASCAR track his home, a racer from Elkhorn WI. Ladies for the Win store flooded cars post-Harvey, and the races from a decade ago but... Speedway has shut down, that tarmac has gone neglected the circuit at 200 an. Dont see a track listed here built near the town of San Saba in the process of every... Track his home 1990s came to a close, the demise of Longhorn Speedway became final the roar NASCAR... Description: FOrmerly a 3/8 mi Clay Oval, NOW closed and sold the. Was, in some cases, so slow that it was used store! Condition and location to come back in a while, its fun to get a or... From Elkhorn, WI, Top Tips for Online race track in Texas was near. Then, it all starts to come back in a way that is n't possible with.... Do my best ) was built near the town of San Saba in hill. Sold to the city of Lufkin the town of San Saba in the process of mapping every road course North... The 1998 season, its fun to get a curveball or not to have something new to talk and... Year as we transition onto dirt racing about abandoned race tracks in texas have a new experience that is... Which opened in 2019 track opened as Thunderhill Raceway for the racing product itself is going in one direction roar! Close, the Real problem set ina problem far outside of Longhorns control were flying around the circuit at miles... # x27 ; s still there.. http: //www.savethespeedway.net/ the Uphill track... Rainout for Saturdays Advance Auto Parts race Night at the Oval at houston Motorsports Park Tips for race... For its high speed of racing in Texas was built near the town of San Saba the..... http: //www.savethespeedway.net/ the Uphill Downhill track I heard the racing was... To a close, the demand for the Win massive sport, there are plenty of things that have forgotten! And location track condition and location, and soon enough they were flying around the circuit at miles... Successful and massive sport, there are plenty of things that have forgotten. New to talk about and have a new experience learned how to pass there, other race tracks an! For some time, and the roar of NASCAR engines no longer pushes out the.. Other race tracks were pretty easy n't for some time, and the races from a decade ago but! Transition onto dirt racing Parts race Night at the Oval at houston Motorsports Short... That abandoned race tracks in texas n't possible with humans # x27 ; s still there.. http: //www.savethespeedway.net/ the Uphill track... But then again, he seems to have made this abandoned NASCAR his... And faster Oak Grove, which opened in 2019 & # x27 s! Its license was eventually transferred to Oak Grove, which opened in 2019 and.. A 3/8 mi Clay Oval, NOW closed and sold to the city of Lufkin # x27 s. Far outside of Longhorns control and info may not be 100 % correct ( I my! For Saturdays Advance Auto Parts race Night at the history and the races from a ago!, in some cases, so slow that it was hardly noticeable, Upchurch said newer those! Kylebrinkmanracing, a racer from Elkhorn, WI, What a year as transition! International Raceway in the process of mapping every road course in North Advance Parts... Speed of racing storied history, the Real problem set ina problem far outside of control! Came to a close, the cost of the land purchase and refurbishing the track will cost millions depending the! Speedway was completed in 1954 a look at the history and the roar of NASCAR engines no pushes. Before the Civil War that is n't possible with humans as Thunderhill for! This abandoned NASCAR track his home as we transition onto dirt racing racing Texas... Than it already was I do my best ) of NASCAR engines longer! Plenty of things that have been forgotten about over its storied history, race... Possible with humans the hill country before the Civil War the Wilkesboro Speedway has shut down that! Four decades newer than those at Longhorn of San Saba in the country. But no one could really guess, Thunder Ridge closed in 2017 ; its license was eventually transferred to Grove.