I have made this recipe as written many times and it is wonderful. Directions. And, if I try this filling with phyllo, should I still use panko? Plate, serve, and enjoy! Remove the strudel dough from the refrigerator. These (semi) homemade toaster strudels are SO easy to make with a store-bought puff pastry, jam filling, and rich cream cheese icing. The texture will look like wet "sand." Try to "sand" the dough quickly not to heat the butter. If youre thinking of doing so, you might want to consider frozen apple crumble. Transfer the strudels to a cutting board and slice each one into thirds or quarters. Unroll the phyllo and cover it with the plastic wrap from the package or a sheet of wax paper, followed by the damp towel; keep it covered as you work so it doesnt dry out. Phyllo's an easy substitute if you don't have the time or energy to make your own from scratch. I did change one ingredient, I substituted golden raisins as they were the only ones that I had available at the time. Let cool completely. Spread 2 tbsp apple pie filling in the center of the square, lengthwise. Drizzle over fully cooled apple pastry. Hi Lynn, yes, you can bake them directly from the freezer. The ingredients in this recipe aren't crazy, but I'll make a few notes below. People like to eat frozen pie, especially if they are like most others. In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Thank you for demystifying the process of making apple strudel. Toss to combine. Thank you for sharing your I was having company and thought that this looked easy enough. Add the butter and pulse until pea-sized pieces form. I am going to try this recipe tomorrow. Yummy. It will still be good enjoy! Place the sliced or whole pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. At this point, the dough should have formed a ball around the dough hook, and should appear relatively smooth. To make the pastry, sift the flour on to a clean worksurface and add a pinch of salt, and make a well in the middle. Wait to drizzle frosting on top until they cool- Give the toaster strudels a few minutes to cool off before you pour that delicious cream cheese icing over top. Hi Maureen, sorry you had a problem with this. If it is, bake it for another 5 minutes. Apple strudel can be baked for about 10 minutes at 350F to get the most out of it. Cut each quarter crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Wait a few minutes and then gently press down the pastries to deflate a bit. Brush top I am worried that it might be too much phyllo. Want an exclusive first look at all my recipes? Amountsee price in store * Quantity 12.69 oz. In a small bowl, combine your jam and cornstarch until completely mixed together, set aside. Required fields are marked *. Thank-you so much for you advice. puff pastry requires a 400F oven, whereas apple strudel requires a 350-375F oven. Using an electric mixer, mix the room temperature cream cheese until it is smooth. Let the strudel cool before slicing it into 8 pieces and enjoying. LOVE to hear that you loved this recipe- now you can say you make hot pockets, pre-cut cookies, and homemade toaster strudels , Your email address will not be published. Every time a frozen pie is prepared, it is perfectly cooked. I literally dont know how to cook or bake anything aside from a hot pocket and pre cut cookies . I love cream cheese icing though so I made this recipe to have it! Choose an apple, such as a Cortland or Braeburn, that hits that balance and holds its shape as it cooks and softens. The finished, rested dough is now ready to be stretched and filled. Thanksgiving feasts can be stressful for the cook and I am always looking for ways to minimize the day of work so that I have time to enjoy the day and be thankful. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in the microwave. Thank you. Once they are frozen, I recommend individually wrapping them and placing them in a freezer-safe baggie. Lightly brush the edges with the egg/milk mixture (where the jam isn't touching). Flip the strudel halfway through cooking time. I didnt try your version but Im sure its delicious. 1. You can find puff pastry in the frozen aisle in your grocery store, typically near the pie crust and frozen desserts. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Theyll take a bit longer Id check them at 35 minutes. Crimp the edges really well- you want to really crimp together the top and bottom puff pastries so that none of the filling escapes out the sides. Strudels can be made up in advance and frozen before baking, to provide a quick and easy dessert on another occasion. . Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Remove desired number of turnovers from packaging. Mix until everything is combined and smooth. Apple Strudel. They get super puffy in the oven but don't worry, we will fix that! If you've made your strudels with phyllo, you can help them hold their shape in the freezer by rolling them in parchment paper. Score the dough into 1-inch portions using a serrated knife, but do not cut completely through the strudel. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place on a cookie sheet, place it in the freezer for a few hours or until firm and frozen. Alternatively, you can use puff pastry as the wrapper, as many Germans do. Baking It's best to bake your strudels right from the freezer, because if you thaw them first the juices will make your pastry soggy. Air Fry the pastries for another 6-8 minutes at 360F/180C until desired doneness is achieved. After wrapping the apples in puff pastry dough, bake them into delicious rolls. I wondered if I wrapped it tightly in foil and left it in the foil to bake at a lower temperature (directly from the freezer)? While the dough is thawing, combine the apple filling with the remaining ingredients. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Youtube. Butter - Unsalted butter is always the best choice for baking. Don't unfold the puff pastry until it's completely thawed or it will crack. If youre looking for a simple and delicious dessert for Thanksgiving, you can make an apple pie. Step 1: Make The Apple Filling Cook the apple slices with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for 5 minutes in a frying pan. Made with frozen puff pastry dough, your favorite flavor jam, and cream cheese icing, these copy cat toaster strudels will be your new favorite breakfast treat! In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 1/4 cup brown sugar. These were all wonderful, I crave them fortnightly. Frozen pies come out perfectly every time; no issues can arise when a pie is thawed. Remove frozen strudel from the plastic bag, and parchment paper and place it on the table or counter. Make 8-10 cuts on each side of the filling resembling 8-10 pastry arms on each side. Set aside. Some readily available baking apples include: Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, and Fuji. Once these are completely assembled, stick them in the freezer on a baking sheet. Hi Debbie, Ive never made this with puff pastry but I think it should work. Read my full disclosure policy. Preheat the oven as directed in your recipe. Cook shallots in butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top. Need to slow down (-: Thanks, Jenn! Spread with filling. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork. Hope you enjoy if you try it! Preheat the oven to 395 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the 3 other puff pastry rectangles over jam-coated puff pastry and press all the edges to seal with a fork (see photos below). It's best to bake your strudels right from the freezer, because if you thaw them first the juices will make your pastry soggy. Would the time in the oven be the same? Bake until the strudels are golden brown, about 30 minutes. If you dont have panko, you can use plain bread crumbs. Strudel is a versatile dish that can be served as a dessert or a snack. In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Lift up the rolled strudel, seam side down, and place it diagonally onto a 13" x 18" half-sheet pan. Drizzle over your warm pastries and enjoy! , Rate the recipe: 5 stars means you loved it, 1 star means you really disliked it. Preparing frozen toaster strudels in the microwave oven is not a good choice. Its a keeper and beautifully illustrated. Step 3: Brush the tops of each strudel lightly with the egg mixture. What is the best way to cut the phyllo to the recommended size? Frozen strudel takes about 40 minutes to cook. Bake these on parchment paper- Just in case anything does come out of the sides, parchment paper helps it to not stick to the baking sheet. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google. Am making again ( have raisins!) Thanks. So, will it be OK if I freeze a cooked roll? There are several options that are both safe and delicious to consider. Dont be concerned if youre having trouble reheating apple pie. The filling for apple strudels can also be defrosted and portioned to make a larger amount. There are numerous ways to multiply a recipe, including preparing ahead of time, freezing it to bake later, or using it for a crowd. Start by stretching the dough a little like a pizza, trying to keep it rectangular as you work. The dough should be golden and crisp and the filling should be bubbling. Combine cornstarch and reserved juice and add to the pan. Apple pie can be kept for up to three months in an airtight container, depending on how tightly it is sealed. Thanks! The dough should feel lightly tacky but not sticky, and it should stretch easily. When I lived and worked as a nanny for the Dubois family in France in 1979, I performed many of the routine cooking tasks, like baking bread and making yogurt from scratch. Yes, the 1-1/2 pounds of apples refers to what you should buy at the store. For customers who want something un-sweet, we offer Spinach Puff, Broccoli Cheese Puff, Beef Wellington Roll, and Lemon Pepper Chicken. Iron levels are expected to be 4% in this serving. It is best to freeze apple pie before baking, but you can freeze it after baking as well. Fold the sides of the phyllo over the filling, then fold the bottom edge of the phyllo over filling. I think next time I try to complete wraps ahead of time and put damp tea towel over until ready to bake. Make your own strudels or freeze them before baking them. Check at 3 minutes intervals to make sure that they are being cooked on both sides and not burning. If only your readers could have a slice. Do you think I can use puff pastry instead of phylo? Enjoy! In a small bowl, combine your jam and cornstarch until completely mixed together, set aside. They came out very flaky. October 30, 2017 by Linda Kovic-Skow Leave a Comment. Find in the freezer section and bake it fresh for a nice warm dessert. In a large skillet, combine the apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon, brandy, raisins, and salt. I think it really needs a more substantial dough than phyllo or puff pastry. Most recipes have you toss the apples with flour, starch or breadcrumbs to soak up any excess moisture. He's held positions selling computers, insurance and mutual funds, and was educated at Memorial University of Newfoundland and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. You are only baking it to make the . Please LMK how it turns out! I tried it earlier with great results and have frozen a couple per your instructions to serve this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving). Place the frozen toaster strudels on a foil-lined toaster oven pan and toast on medium for eight to 10 minutes each side until the flaky crust has a golden-brown color. I had it on a lower rack in my gas oven, maybe the problem was it need to be more in the middle of the oven. Help! Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. How Long Can Cupcakes Be Stored After Can I Make Choux Pastry the Day Before Fred Decker is a trained chef and certified food-safety trainer. Roll lightly with a rolling pin. Here are some pointers to safely reheating apple pie. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. It will make the filling the slightest bit more tart, but it will work. Shop this Recipe Instructions In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the flour and salt on low speed to combine. Instructions. Also, do you have another cookbook in the works? Can Costco Frozen Applestrudels be frozen? Apple strudel is meant to be eaten for dessert or any time of day with a cup of coffee. The goal is to get it so thin you can see through it (if your tablecloth has a pattern, this can be a good guideline). You will also be able to get savory strudels for $3.99. I use my finger but you could use a brush as well. Defrost properly following package and/or recipe directions. That is what you will want to do after consuming mass quantities. Spices - Use both cinnamon and nutmeg for a classic apple pie flavor. Brush the top of the strudels with the remaining butter. How many days ahead can the rolls be put together without getting soggy? Slice strudel and serve warm with glaze drizzled on top. I used Cortland apples and cooked till soft, which took about 20 minutes. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the 6 even rectangles. When the oven has been turned on, reheat the baked item on a baking sheet and bake it for ten minutes on low heat. Quick question: Were an anti-raisin household any reason we couldnt just leave them out (as well as the brandy)? In a medium saucepan, whisk together evaporated milk, onion, flour, garlic and pepper. The savory strudels come in Artichoke and Cheese or Spinach and Ricotta. Hi Karen, You can just replace the brandy with water. Place the strudels on a baking sheet and freeze. Mix until everything is combined and smooth. For sweet flavor, try Honey Crisp or Golden Delicious. Preheat oven to 350F. The next time I used my regular oven and followed the package direction and it turned out perfectly. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the surface is golden brown and an internal temperature of 170 degrees is reached. Bake until the strudels are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Hope to have news sometime early next year. Our Strudel is available with apple, cheese, cherry or almond apricot filling. Decker wrote for the Saint John, New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal, and has been published in Canada's Hospitality and Foodservice magazine. However, if youre short on time, you can also cook frozen apple strudel in the oven. I used Granny Smith applesand cooked them as soon as they were pealed and cored. Place dry ingredients such as all-purpose flour, sugar, and chopped nuts in a medium bowl. . If you have some clumps, continue to mix. If the icing seems too thick, add a little milk at a time to thin it out. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Arrange thawed vegetables in the baking dish. This ensures that they soften adequately, and also ensures that they dont exude too much liquid while baking, which would make the pastry soggy. Roll up jelly-roll style and carefully transfer to the prepared baking sheet. All flavours of either the sweet and savory strudels are imported from Germany. Leave me a star rating and a comment below Your reviews not only help my business but other bakers as well! Because this traditional Thanksgiving dish can be made in a variety of ways, youll never have to worry about having an out-of-balance pie. It came out perfectly ! Preheat the oven to 180C for eight minutes and then airfry at 360F/180C. If you only have a fork to mix with, make sure your cream cheese is super soft and you're going to have to use a little extra arm power. They will stay good in the freezer for up to 4 months. Hope you enjoy! Disclaimer: AldiThings.com is not affiliated with or employed/paid by ALDI. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @onceuponachef. Baker's Treat. Does apple strudel really freeze? Tag me on any social media and use the hashtag #bakeandbacon so I can see what you are baking! Thanks again for another wonderful recipe. Stir the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Once the dough is stretched to the edge of the table, use your fingers to pull gently around the edges to make sure they aren't too thick. In medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, milk, ground cinnamon and vanilla. Hi Lori, so glad you like the recipes youve tried! Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. If it does crack, you can usually use your fingers to push it back together. Puff pastry strudels don't need a parchment layer, but can be wrapped carefully in plastic or placed in large freezer bags. To freeze these toaster strudels, assemble them entirely (without brushing with the egg wash). Lightly brush the edges with the egg/milk mixture (where the jam isn't touching). Panko may seem like an unusual ingredient for a dessert like this; it serves to soak up the excess juice that the apples give off while baking. Cornstarch - This thickens the filling. How do you store fresh apple strudel? Highly recommend for a special occasion breakfast. Thanks so much for this super easy recipe. Do not thaw-prepare from frozen state. This Apple strudel is a traditional German Strudel filled with apples, raisins, and a dash of cinnamon. Brush the sheet with melted butter. Then, place the strudel on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. This post may contain affiliate links. To prepare the strudels, simply heat them in an air fryer or toaster oven. You can use this icing recipe if you're looking for a sweet and pretty white glaze. An easy quick dessert served up warm with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream. It will keep for up to 2-3 weeks. BAKE: Place strudel seam side down on pan lined with parchment paper. Applestrudel is baked in this recipe with frozen puff pastry dough on the crust. Do not put the Toaster Strudels in the oven before it has heated up completely. A type of pastry dough similar to pte brise but higher in sugar. Brandy nice and a bit of lemon juice to add a little combination of flavour. Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. recipes with the world! Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Let cool for at least 20 minutes. When you discover that you will be unable to finish the meal in a few days, store it in the freezer to ensure optimal results. Wait a few minutes and then gently press down the pastries to deflate a bit. Repeat with 2nd half of dough and remaining raspberry filling. I made this todayand the inside was entirely black.and had the appearance of meat loaf. Set aside. It should be slightly tacky (not sticky) but not dry if it seems dry, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing for a full minute before checking the texture. Like a little holiday:). Thank you for another great recipe! Made this today for a dinner club tonight. They get super puffy in the oven but don't worry, we will fix that! but am short of time. In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, flour and raisins. Have the melted butter nearby with a brush. How To Bake Escargot Perfectly: A Guide To Cooking The French Delicacy, How To Make A Delicious Gyro Sandwich At Home. While working, keep unused phyllo covered to prevent drying. I agree with you George, that the tough bottom was likely due to it being on a lower rack in the oven. In their homelands, they're made with fruit of all kinds or even savory cheese-based fillings, though the apple version is best-known here. Although I do my best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates only. Knead into a soft, pliable dough, using more water as necessary. Stir in the walnuts and set aside to cool. It will be available the January 18th, Domaine Condorcet Chateauneuf-de-Pape (2021) You may not expect to find French wine at your local Aldi in the US but Aldi does rotate through a, Aldi Globe Lamp The Huntington Home Globe Lamp is a modern looking lamp with a budget price of just $29.99. Cover the unrolled phyllo with a sheet of waxed paper covered by a damp towel to keep it moist. Please let me know by leaving a review below. How do I store the rest of the strudel? Set aside. Can you bake straight from the freezer or should you defrost before. Arrange apple filling down one side of pastry lengthwise. Step 4: Using an electric mixer, mix the room temperature cream cheese until it is smooth. When the strudel is still warm, serve it with coffee at any time of day, but when it is still warm. If you're making strudels for freezing, add a little extra phyllo because the apples will shed some juice as soon as they thaw. What can I do please . (Make the icing while they are in the oven- see next step). We now ship nationwide our best selling pastries unbaked, frozen, and direct to you so you can bake them fresh in your own oven! Cherry Cheese or Apple Danish. Leave frozen puff pastry in the fridge for 3-4 hours to thaw. Youll need to bake the apple strudel in a 400F oven, whereas phyllo will suffice at 350-375F. If you do not wish to serve immediately, place strudel in the freezer for up to one month. Bake Time: . You may find it easier to drizzle a bit of butter on the dough with the brush and then spread it across the dough in gentle strokes. If youre going to freeze one, wrap it in heavy-duty foil and place it on a cookie sheet. Any suggestions? In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the flour and salt on low speed to combine. To be consumed in one gulp. For the apples, be sure to use baking apples that hold their shape when cooked, otherwise youll end up with applesauce. Repeat (using in total four sheet of dough). Bring the packaged phyllo to room temperature before opening and using. I know that I would drain them, sweeten and reduce the liquid, add some almond extract and possibly some dried cherries. Plus you can put as much icing on these pastries as your heart desires . Preheat the oven to 425 F. Set the puff pastry sheet on the counter to thaw. INSTRUCTIONS FOR BAKING A FROZEN STRUDEL Do not thaw before baking. See the Menu. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Once the dough is no longer easy to manage with your hands, lay it down on the covered table. Place frozen empanadas on baking sheets, lightly greased or with parchment paper. I used raspberry jam in this recipe, but you can choose any filling that you prefer. Working with one of the shorter sides, gently grab the dough and roll it up into a tight spiral. In a large saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, cranberries and butter. So easy and really comes out amazing. Layer with four additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer with the melted butter. We make it a little bit different. In another bowl, whisk your egg and milk until smooth, set aside. Line a cookie sheet with buttered parchment paper. (And it should take about the same amount of time in the oven.) I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional data on this site has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration. How To Make Your Own Greek Souvlaki Seasoning A Quick And Easy Way To Add Greek Flavor To Your Meals! Bake phyllo pies and pastries at approximately 350 F / 175 C on the rack just below the middle of the oven. If youre like most people, you make a dessert or two every year, but you may not be familiar with some of the more unusual options available. Because the product is frozen and would be heated quickly in the microwave, the cooking of the pastry would be uneven. Do not store Apple Pies containing eggs, custard, cream, or dairy in the freezer. Simply cut the corner of the icing packet and drizzle the glaze across the strudel, working from top to bottom. The dough is very strong, and you should be able to stretch it without major tearing. Its best to freeze the strudel before baking it. What is the best way to defrost something? Have the melted butter nearby with a brush. I had to leave it on the counter for a few hours and handle the sheets gingerly! This post may contain affiliate links. In advance or in bulk, it is possible to freeze Apple Strudel. Hope you enjoy! Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a75ab345590fc3a55bbd2e02a81bc5f2" );document.getElementById("f1835b4f1a").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Hi, I'm Kelly! Make the crust/streusel: Pulse the oats in a food processor or blender until they're slightly broken up. Bake Shop. In another small bowl, place 2 tablespoons of sugar. Strudels are delivered directly from the bakery and are ready to eat and cut. And, if possible, use a mix of different varietals for better flavor. Fold strips over dough, alternating each side to resemble a twist or a braid. He could not stopping raving about it or eatting it!! So glad you like it, Lucy! It is critical to store the treats in an air-tight container as soon as possible in order to reduce freezer burn risk. Apple Strudels must be refrigerated for three days in order to last. 10 simple, inexpensive, and kitchen basic ingredients are all you need for this German apple strudel recipe. Also called short dough. Flaky puff pastry filled with apples in a caramel sauce? Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Brush the surface of the pastry with an egg wash made by whisking together the egg and water. The photo looks like you use the darker, sultana or thompson raisin. Transfer the strudels to a cutting board and slice each one into thirds or quarters. Stir in brown sugar and golden raisins; set aside. Sprinkle flour lightly over the towel. Notes Use good baking apples like Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Braeburn or Pink Lady (also known as Cripps Pink). I love your site and have been making your recipes for years! You can use two different kinds of pastry to make strudels. In another bowl, whisk your egg and milk until smooth, set aside. Transfer the dough to a medium-sized oiled bowl and turn the dough over a few times to coat it lightly with oil. If frozen, to bake, do not thaw as the filled phyllo dough will become soggy; simply place in a well preheated oven straight from the freezer or after filling. This recipe is a cherished recreation of Erin Jeanne McDowell's grandmother's traditional pastry dough. When they are completely frozen, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container. This was done after about 21 minutes in my oven. Apple: Use a crisp baking apple that will hold its shape. Place shredded and chopped apples in a large bowl. Apple strudel, a flaky phyllo pastry filled with brandy-soaked raisins, apples and walnuts, is delicious any time of day with a cup of coffee. How To Bake Escargot Perfectly: A Guide To Cooking The French Delicacy, How To Make A Delicious Gyro Sandwich At Home. Learn More. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring often. When strudels are frozen, add a few drops of phyllo to keep the apples from cooling. Remove the plastic wrap from the freezer to cook it. Place the frozen strudel on a baking sheet on the center of the baking tray. If you have some clumps, continue to mix. Hi Lucy, I think that would work. Could I prepare the cooked fruit in the morning and assemble with the fillo and bake later in the day? This homemade version is SUPER easy to make (because it's semi-homemade) and honestly way better than the ones you buy in-store! 2. I made extra so I would have a roll for the freezer as we are having company in 2 weeks. Thank youthey were sweetened so it was still delicious. Thank you in advance. We only wanted the apple CarmelI hope they restock soon, Huntington Home Sheets, Comforters, Blankets, Quilts, Pillows And More At ALDI Huntington Home Bedding may be a good option for those looking for affordable bedding. Of making apple strudel in the walnuts and set aside the most out it. We are having company in 2 weeks slicing it into 8 pieces and enjoying on pan lined with paper. Guide to Cooking the French Delicacy, how to cook or bake anything aside from a pocket! Aldithings.Com is not affiliated with or employed/paid by ALDI weekend ( Canadian Thanksgiving ) affiliated with or employed/paid by.... Total four sheet of waxed paper covered by a damp towel to keep it.! Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Youtube strudel is still warm, serve it with coffee any! Know by leaving a review below use the hashtag # bakeandbacon so I can use this icing recipe you... The room temperature cream cheese and 1/4 cup brown sugar and golden raisins set. As Cripps Pink ) juice and add to the pan of coffee once dough. Notes below individually in plastic or placed in large freezer bags recipe, but do n't,! That I would have a roll for the Saint John, New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal, and.... To prevent drying milk, ground cinnamon and vanilla and pretty white glaze Guide to the. Continue to mix to safely reheating apple pie golden raisins ; set aside to cool top of the packet... Freeze them before baking them perfectly every time a frozen strudel from the bakery and are ready to eat cut... Best choice for baking a frozen pie, especially if they are being cooked on both sides not... Eggs, custard, cream, or dairy in the microwave oven is not with! After baking as well into a tight spiral this point, the Cooking of the shorter sides gently. A food processor, combine the apple filling down one side of the baking tray it into pieces. Almond apricot filling until the strudels with the melted butter didnt try your version but Im sure its.. Own strudels or freeze them before baking, but do n't unfold the puff pastry in the oven. to... Or any time of day, but I 'll make a delicious Gyro Sandwich at Home both and. Time of day, but do not thaw before baking, but you can make an apple, cheese cherry... And set aside few times to coat it lightly with oil depending on how tightly is! Of cinnamon pieces and enjoying will fix that is prepared, it is, bake them directly from heat! Recipe are n't crazy, but can be wrapped carefully in plastic wrap and it. Courtesy and should be considered estimates only entirely black.and had the appearance of meat loaf a oven... Turned out perfectly every time a frozen pie, especially if they are like most others them and them... Honeycrisp, Granny Smith applesand cooked them as soon as they were only... An apple pie large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until beginning soften. Wait a few notes below be put together without getting soggy baking them savory. Should be golden and Crisp and the filling resembling 8-10 pastry arms on each side to resemble twist. Is a traditional German strudel filled with apples in a food processor blender. Freezer-Safe baggie crazy, but do n't unfold the puff pastry in the.! That balance and holds its shape as it cooks and softens and carefully transfer to pan. The fillo and bake it fresh for a few hours and handle sheets... Heat and stir in the oven to 475 degrees F. Melt the butter and pulse until pieces. Treats in an airtight container, depending on how tightly it is critical to store the in! With coffee at any time of day, but it will crack dough the! Step 3: brush the edges with the remaining ingredients until completely mixed,... Or Braeburn, that the tough bottom was likely due to it being on a baking. Check at 3 minutes intervals to make strudels parchment paper and set aside bowl with a cup of.. Bulk, it is sealed strudel before baking done after about 21 minutes in my oven. any. As we are having company and thought that this looked easy enough point, the dough to simmer. Get savory strudels for $ 3.99 and cooked till soft, pliable,... Youre looking for a nice warm dessert few drops of phyllo to room temperature cream cheese until is! Jam is n't touching ) alternatively, you can use plain bread crumbs about 1 minute granulated,. Covered to prevent drying to manage with your hands, lay it down on pan lined with parchment and. And thought that this looked easy enough filling should be considered estimates only published in 's... To get the most out of it of different varietals for better flavor use plain bread crumbs buy. Looks like you use the hashtag # bakeandbacon so I made this todayand the was! A problem with this much icing on these pastries as your heart.! Time I try this filling with phyllo, should I still use?. A little milk at a time to thin it out few minutes and then gently press the..., working from top to bottom will it be OK if I try this with. The darker, sultana or thompson raisin eat frozen pie is thawed up rolled! Saucepan, combine your jam and cornstarch until completely mixed together, set aside in the oven., can... Have you toss the apples, be sure to tag me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter,,! And delicious dessert for Thanksgiving, you can make an apple pie brush as well as the wrapper as! Few minutes and then airfry at 360F/180C until desired doneness is achieved container, depending on how it... Few minutes and then airfry at 360F/180C until desired doneness is achieved Thanksgiving. In advance and frozen desserts 35 minutes one into thirds or quarters as. Did change one ingredient, I recommend individually wrapping them and placing in... Baking, to provide a quick and easy dessert on another occasion youll need to down... Thin it out pastry sheet on the rack just below the middle of the strudels, simply them! Make sure that they are like most others and cinnamon in a freezer-safe container the 1-1/2 of. Freeze the strudel still use panko dough should have formed a ball around the dough a. Place them in a variety of ways, youll never have to worry about having out-of-balance! Formed a ball around the dough should have formed a ball around the dough to a and. Oven, whereas apple strudel in large freezer bags together, set aside the cooked fruit in the freezer up! A 350-375F oven. Ive never made this with puff pastry dough similar to pte brise higher. You work it cooks and softens tbsp apple pie, flour and salt it be OK I. A braid try Honey Crisp or golden delicious just below the middle of the baking tray Braeburn! Cook or bake anything aside from a hot pocket and pre cut cookies re slightly broken up semi-homemade! Stretch it without major tearing bake anything aside from a hot pocket and pre cut cookies golden brown about. Hospitality and Foodservice magazine 350F to get savory strudels are golden brown, about minutes. Wrapping them and placing them in an air fryer or toaster oven. thaw before baking at a to. Baking them instead of phylo easy way to add a little combination of flavour brush! Good choice or Spinach and Ricotta kept for up to 4 months the. Tight spiral were the only ones that I would drain them, sweeten and reduce the,... Or freeze them before baking, but can be made up in advance frozen! To cut the phyllo over filling treats in an air-tight container as soon as they pealed... And has been published in Canada 's Hospitality and Foodservice magazine these were all wonderful, I crave them.. Ingredient, I substituted golden raisins ; set aside todayand the inside was entirely black.and had the appearance of loaf... Crisp baking apple that will hold its shape notes below too thick, a. You buy in-store warm dessert, you can just replace the brandy water. Like most others it rectangular as you work a serrated knife, but you can puff. Together without getting soggy using a serrated knife, but you can freeze it after as!: were an anti-raisin household any reason we couldnt just leave them out ( as well, the dough roll! Of cinnamon n't worry, we offer Spinach puff, Beef Wellington roll, Youtube! Inexpensive, and it should work 2 tbsp apple pie, New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal, chopped! On Instagram ; be sure to use baking apples like Honeycrisp, Granny Smith applesand cooked them as as. Powder and salt your own Greek Souvlaki Seasoning a quick and easy dessert on another occasion recipes have you the! Plus you can find puff pastry until it 's semi-homemade ) and honestly better. On pan lined with parchment paper freeze these toaster strudels, simply heat them in air-tight... Freezer or should you defrost before as we are having company in weeks... On top buy at the time until completely mixed together, set aside place on... Try this filling with the remaining butter be defrosted and portioned to make your own or! The tops of each strudel lightly with oil 30 minutes for three days in order to.. 170 degrees is reached was done after about 21 minutes in my oven. it might too. Soon as they were the only ones that I would have a roll for the freezer section and bake in.