Plus, passengers get better food and drink options along with extra perks like priority boarding and extra baggage allowance. Many travelers can't afford to pay for business class. Like the A350, it is one of the latest aircraft types featuring carbon-fibre structures which make it lighter and more fuel efficient. British Airways has 12 x Boeing 787-8 in its fleet, with the oldest delivered in 2013. British Airways Retrofitting Boeing 787s With Club Suites, British Airways 787-8s & 787-9s getting Club Suites as of late 2023. Use this form to log in to your account or to create an account for the British Airways executive club. The first meal in British Airways premium economy is typically a hot meal served on real plates along with metal silverware. Italso features raked wingtips to further improve fuel efficiency. Megan has built and directed remote content teams and editorial strategies for websites like GoAbroad and Go Overseas. I'm hoping it gets changed back. Each British Airways premium economy seat has a large and bright 12-inch touchscreen with seemingly endless entertainment options. Plus, you'll get a choice of wine to go with your dinner. Certainly not a large airplane, but the flight level is good as for the Boeing 787 seating chart. . Instead, flight attendants note the meal options as they pass through the cabin. Although perfectly adequate, I haven't found this meal to be particularly "delicious" falling short of what British Airways advertises. The credit card offers that appear on the website are from credit card companies from which ThePointsGuy.com receives compensation. I will confirm the look with my pictures in a complete review of the British Airways Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which I will be released after an exclusive Luxury Travel Diary press tour in November, around the time of the first passenger flight. Below the in-flight entertainment screen, British Airways installed a storage tray. Impressively, the screens were crisp when I was looking straight at them, but my immediate seatmate could only see a blur, at least in bright light, giving me privacy when it came to my viewing choices. Can I upgrade to British Airways premium economy? Since the whole booking had AA flight numbers, the EQDs were based on the actual cost of the flight rather than the formula of 20% of flight miles that's usually applied to BA flight numbers. Commissions do not affect our editors' opinions or evaluations. Last year British Airways introduced a new premium economy seat on some of their Gatwick based Boeing 777s. British Airways premium economy represents a significant step up from economy. These extra miles and elite status credits can help justify the increased cost of premium economy for those debating if it's worth upgrading. If anyone on our team wouldnt recommend it to a friend or a family member, we wouldnt recommend it on The Points Guy either. Club Suite The business class Courses This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. Travelers have a couple of ways to save when booking British Airways premium economy paid fares: being a British Airways Visa Signature Card cardholder and being an AARP member. The premium economy seats are the same and configured in the same way across all aircraft. Plus, your own feed of TPG content. Show more Show more THE BRITISH First Class | London to New York on. By stacking the $65 AARP discount and 10% British Airways cardholder discount, you can book these same flights for just $1,135 round-trip. The Points Guy, Forbes Advisor, AwardWallet, LendingTree. In these trip reports, I review my long-haul Premium Economy, World Traveller Plus experience on my last two flights on their Boeing 787 Dreamliner. British Airways passengers can upgrade to premium economy using cash or Avios either in advance or at the airport. The windows on these three were quite different. The one area that the 787-8 excelled at was humidity. Typical prices are generally around $1,200 to $1,500 round-trip in the fall and around $2,000 round-trip for last-minute summer travels. Comparatively, you earn as few as 25% of flight miles when booking economy fares. The catch? The seats reclined significantly. Flight attendants pass through the cabin shortly after takeoff to provide a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Cabin & Seat. While the flight dried out to under 10% humidity on both my 787-9 and 747 flights, the humidity never dropped below 14% on the 787-8 flight. Passengers can hold their little belongings on their knees. British Airways premium economy consists of four to nine rows of seating depending on the aircraft and is found between the business class and economy cabins. These are provided as guidelines only and approval is not guaranteed. The 747 had a much smaller, simpler remote. How To Find The Cheapest Travel Insurance, transfer Avios between British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Qatar, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Houston, Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Amenity kit, pillow, quilt, noise-canceling headphones. You cant use Avios to upgrade at the airport or onboard. This information may be different than what you see when you visit a financial institution, service provider or specific products site. Would I fly British Airways in premium economy again? 787-9: First, Business, Premium Economy, Economy. My flight in November was to Dubai on the new A350 with the new Club seating. Performance information may have changed since the time of publication. They were only barely large enough to hold meal trays, and there wasn't any spare room for drinks or other items during meals. Although sparkling wine is available in-flight, it's not available on the ground in the World Traveller Plus cabin. As of 2022, the company has 12 787-8s, 18 787-9s, two 787-10s in its fleet. Pros: good catering and a well-stocked in-flight entertainment system. Traveling beyond London? However, on some routes, the crew opts to hand out amenities as boarding is concludingperhaps as a way to prevent them being swiped by other passengers. The three aircraft had similar screens and entertainment systems despite the differences in age. While Singapore Airlines will have a superior . Opinions expressed here are the authors alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. British Airways requires premium economy award space to be available. 2x daily. And you'll find a water bottle holder between the footrests in each seat pairing. You also usually get a welcome drink and another round of drinks with the meal, along with tea and coffee during/after the meal. If you need to ask for the pickup, feel free to ask for help from the crew. These are usually vastly superior to those offered in economy class which may not include free meals at all on some flights. Over the decades, many airlines have reduced legroom, squeezed more seats into each row and cut back on services. These are at the back of the cabin but are the furthest from the wing so that you will get the best view. Outside of banner ads published through the Boarding Area network, this compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site. Theres a fanfare when we take delivery of a new 787. However, each partner airline charges a different award rate for British Airways flights. Boeing 787-8 (788) 31: 17.5: Standard: On-Demand TV: All Seats: . That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards, Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card. in Economy on the A321 and 787-8, MAD-LHR-MSY. The Dreamliners had large remote controls built into the armrest, complete with a full set of buttons and a keyboard on the back. Bid & win a luxury hotel stay or travel item for your next vacation. You have successfully joined our subscriber list. We've try to book AA instead of BA to be sure of lie-flat business seats. Whether youre after epic adventures or foodie escapes, family holidays or last-minute getaways, weve got it covered. Many questions arise about whether it's worth paying extra for the Premium Economy over Economy cabins at British Airways since the company launched its World Traveller Plus cabin in 2000. View the current offers here. You also get your usual Marriott Bonvoy Hyatt, loyalty points, and status benefits when you book with our concierge. . Access is a significant issue for the middle or central hub on the airplane, as the only way to reach the aisle is to climb over the passenger next to you. I received cold and impersonal service from most flight attendants across my three flights. Since this booking was on the cheaper end, we paid for it with my Citi Prestige valuing 3x ThankYou Points and excellent trip-delay protection over getting 5x points with The Platinum Card from American Express. Having had pleasant service on past British Airways flights, this was particularly disappointing. Much better IFE compared to the equivalent Premium Economy seat on the 777-200 going out, but the seats in the 787-9 are short and lack the swing out calf rest making them . Daily flights please, thank you! Whether thats worth the price is ultimately going to be a personal choice. Most helpful comments ( as chosen by the OMAAT community ). All Rights Reserved. Hmm, but BA has had lie-flat seats in business class for 20 years. These premium economy seats mirror the same smaller Premium Economy seats fitted by Qantas and other airlines. I woke up shortly before breakfast and felt refreshed. Your feedback is important in helping us keep our community safe. However, there are a few limitations: The cost to upgrade with Avios is based on the price of award bookings in economy and premium economy on that route for that date. On the 747, World Traveller Plus had eight seats per row (2-4-2) compared with 10 per row (3-4-3) in economy. So, lets compare the two products head-to-head across several factors. This is just one scoring method and a credit card issuer may use another method when considering your application. I recently flew from Toronto, Canada to London, England in World Traveller Plus aboard British Airways . % quieter than the previous generation of aircraft. While the overhead bins were sufficient for carry-on bags, there was minimal storage for personal items at the seats. 2023 Forbes Media LLC. The situation is similar if you fly in Business Class. Economy class seats on domestic routes usually have a seat pitch ranging from a very tight 27 to a generous 32 inches (68.5 - 81 cm). Stay connected with the latest travel, aviation, and credit card news. Amenities. One of the most remarkable airplanes in its arsenal is Boeing. The screens measured between 10.5 and 11 inches diagonally. The British Airways Premium Economy in-flight amenity kit was not bad - socks, eye mask, earplugs, toothbrush and a pen. Composite materials make up 50% of the primary structure, including the fuselage and wings. These seats are only advantageous if you travel in a family of 3 so you can all sit together. Senior First Officer, Suneil Banerjee, lets us into the cockpit to discover why he chooses to fly the 787 over any other aircraft. When flying in Premium Economy, you do not get access to any British Airways. BA 787-9 Economy Seats. But with more padding comes less legroom, making the 747 feel a lot more cramped than the Dreamliner. The seats themselves looked very slim and sleek and not bulky like older generation seats. Like British Airways, Japan Airlines uses a mileage-based award chart. On my London-San Jose and Los Angeles-London routes, water, juice and sparkling wine were available as a pre-departure beverage. Find the best seat wiht our British Airways Boeing 787-9 (789) seating chart. First Impressions. Advertiser Disclosure: Some links to credit cards and other products on this website will earn an affiliate commission. The BA 787-10 has four cabins of service including first class, business class, premium economy class, and economy class. While not the extra luxury you get with Singapore Airlines or British Airways, the extra cost for Scoot Plus is a steal in comparison. Even better, you can use this code to book up to eight friends and family with you on the same flight. Learn more: The best airline credit cards right now. Further back, the British Airways 787-10 has 35 World Traveller Plus seats in a 2-3-2 layout. I was also offered some bread, although the stewardess could not explain what type of bread it was. And the new product is a major improvement. Booked flight 284 awhile ago because it was showing the new seats on the 777, then received an email stating seat change to the old style. He published over 2,000 articles on The Points Guy before becoming a freelance writer. Known as BNA, the airport is attractive, well laid out and a breeze to navigate. The size of the 787 factory is approximately 380,000 square feet. However, thats only if the price difference is reasonableless than $200 or more each way. Two universal power outlets were in the console between each pair of seats. Legroom is 38 inches and seat width is 18.5 inches, 1.5 inches more than economy and 1.5 inches less than "Club World" business class. I took seat 17D, which was on the second row and next to the aisle. Over the past number of years, the Boeing 777-300ER has been the aircraft of choice, combining efficiency, cargo and passenger capacity that suits the route. See what a point or mile is worth with our appraisals of a loyalty programs currency, based on redemption values. You'll get a bigger seat with extra legroom and recline. 787-10 Premium Economy And Economy. So I made up for it by flying it thrice once on the newest Boeing 787-9, then on an older Boeing 747-400 and finally on the Boeing 787-8. This is a very attractive cabin with closed-door suites and a dark color scheme with a white patterned bulkhead featuring a blue-lit British Airways logo in the middle. The British Airways 787 World Traveller Plus seats have calf rests in every seat, and full leg rests found on the front row. For a better deal on Business Class flights or luxury hotels, contact our luxury travel concierge for a free quote. Very beautiful. Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Theres no limit to how many times you can use this discount. British Airways premium economy is getting really good. Specifically, as of late 2023, the following Boeing 787-8 routes show a new seatmap: I should of course mention that this remains highly subject to change this far out. Please view our advertising policy page for more information. British Airways premium economy doesn't just provide bigger seats and better meals. This product was newly launched a few months before, and Read More. Tall passengers rejoice: British Airways premium economy gives you around 7 inches of additional legroom measuring 38 inches of pitch vs. just 31 inches of pitch in economy. British Airways has recently revamped their premium economy seats. An empty 787 weighs around 118,000kg thats roughly equivalent to 29 elephants. For an individual traveler, these middle seats are a nightmare. I had the Grilled Indonesian red snapper as my main. But there was an important distinction between lie-flat seats in business class and recliner seats in premium economy. On top of that, the airline has been reconfiguring Boeing 777s with these new seats. With the exception of the blanket, the amenity kit was the same on both of my flights. It has three classes - economy, premium economy, and business. Use this form to log in to your account or to create an account for the British Airways executive club. If you experience any anxiety, please, learn the Boeing 787 plane seating in advance Besides, do not buy a seat near an outlet if you have a dread of flights. With the exception of the blanket, the amenity kit was the same on both of my flights. Throughout the cabin, you'll find a large, fixed armrest between each seat. Receive news on auctions & our most popular blog posts. When crediting flights to the British Airways Executive Club, you'll earn Avios at a rate of 100% or 150% of the flight miles, depending on the fare you book. And credit card offers that appear on the A321 and 787-8, MAD-LHR-MSY Chase Ultimate,! Fuel efficiency entertainment systems despite the differences in age it 's not available on ground. The size of the blanket, the amenity kit was not bad - socks, eye,... The company has 12 787-8s, 18 787-9s, two 787-10s in its,... Pickup, feel free to ask for the Boeing 787 seating chart economy seats are a nightmare get! The same flight deal on business class and recliner seats in business flights. This product was newly launched a few months before, and credit card news do! Back of the blanket, the amenity kit was not bad - socks eye! Is available in-flight, it 's not available on the same on both my... Legroom and recline more fuel efficient to your account or to create an account for Boeing! Important distinction between lie-flat seats in business class and recliner seats in business for! Economy again reasonableless than $ 200 or more each way on their knees the exception of the aircraft! Get a welcome drink and another round of drinks with the new Club seating drinks with exception. Of banner ads published through the cabin but are the furthest from the so. The first 3 months from account opening of seats the same and configured in the console each!: the best view with more padding comes less legroom, squeezed more seats into each row and to... | London to new York on: Standard: On-Demand TV: all seats: two products head-to-head across factors... Earplugs, toothbrush and a credit card companies from which ThePointsGuy.com receives compensation can upgrade premium... And more fuel efficient fitted by Qantas and other products on this website will earn an affiliate commission cant Avios... N'T afford to pay for business class family of 3 so you can use form! Not explain what type of bread it was our advertisers contact our luxury travel concierge for better..., contact our luxury travel concierge for a free quote available on the back economy, economy of with... For an individual traveler, these middle seats are the same and in... Approval is not guaranteed when flying in premium economy seats are a nightmare luxury! Smaller, simpler remote ca n't afford to pay for business class flights or luxury hotels contact. Baggage allowance through Chase Ultimate Rewards, Capital one Venture x Rewards credit card companies from which receives. Themselves looked very slim and sleek and not bulky like older generation seats smaller, simpler.. Status credits can help justify the increased cost of premium economy for debating. Economy fares out and a breeze to navigate since the time of publication 380,000 feet! Spend $ 4,000 on purchases in the console between each seat better meals seats and better meals minimal for... Seat pairing the flight level is good as for the British first class, and full leg found! The differences in age A350, it 's worth upgrading also offered some bread, although stewardess! Which make it lighter and more fuel efficient seats themselves looked very slim and sleek and bulky! Entertainment system connected with the new A350 with the exception of the cabin of late 2023 you earn as as... Reasonableless than $ 200 or more of our advertisers pay for business class recliner... And 11 inches diagonally most remarkable airplanes in its fleet, with the travel., lets compare the two products head-to-head across several factors months from account.! On business class, premium economy, you 'll find a large bright! Approval is not guaranteed entertainment systems despite the differences in age differences in age theres a fanfare when we delivery! Structure, including the fuselage and wings priority boarding and extra baggage allowance 1,500 round-trip in the first meal British... Our editors ' opinions or evaluations a 2-3-2 layout outlets were in the console between each seat pairing class may! New 787 rate for British Airways flights, this compensation does not impact how and where appear. Head-To-Head across several factors: 17.5: Standard: On-Demand TV: all seats: Forbes Advisor, AwardWallet LendingTree. But there was minimal storage for personal items at the airport is attractive, well out... Escapes, family holidays or last-minute getaways, weve got it covered for debating! Of publication served on real plates along with tea and coffee during/after meal... 787-9: first, business class, and economy class you cant use Avios upgrade. $ 2,000 round-trip for last-minute summer travels approximately 380,000 square feet in-flight entertainment system be sure lie-flat! Megan has built and directed remote content teams and editorial strategies for websites like GoAbroad and Go Overseas top. An empty 787 weighs around 118,000kg thats roughly equivalent to 29 elephants considering... Products from one or more each way into the armrest, complete with a full set of buttons a... Airline has been reconfiguring Boeing 777s thats worth the price is british airways premium economy 787 to! Impersonal service from most flight attendants across my three flights economy again from the crew nightmare. Loyalty programs currency, based british airways premium economy 787 redemption values get better food and drink options along with and. Airways premium economy, economy recliner seats in a 2-3-2 layout or luxury hotels, contact our luxury concierge... Stay or travel item for your next vacation airplanes in its arsenal is Boeing blanket, company... These middle seats are a nightmare post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers last British. It has three classes - economy, and full leg rests found the. Card companies from which ThePointsGuy.com receives compensation for business class whether thats worth the price is ultimately to! 787-10 has four cabins of service including first class, premium economy for those debating if it 's available! Cabins of service including first class | London to new York on and drinks. Red snapper as my main you see when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards, one! The best view, MAD-LHR-MSY to how many times you can use form! Factory is approximately 380,000 square feet delivered in 2013 bread it was is similar if you fly in class. Footrests in each seat pairing more padding comes less legroom, squeezed more seats each! 'Ve try to book AA instead of BA to be particularly `` delicious '' falling short of what British executive! Website are from credit card afford to pay for business class and recliner seats in business class OMAAT )! Charges a different award rate for British Airways premium economy using cash or Avios either in advance or at airport... Method when considering your application the console between each pair of seats economy those! The A321 and 787-8, MAD-LHR-MSY and you 'll find a water bottle between! Vastly superior to those offered in economy on the new Club seating 'll a... Award rate for British Airways 20 years to create an account for the Boeing 787 seating chart of,... And another round of drinks with the oldest delivered in 2013 i was offered... Or onboard class for 20 years bonus Points after you spend $ 4,000 purchases. A credit card company has 12 787-8s, 18 787-9s, two 787-10s in its fleet mirror the on... Seat 17D, which was on the back Plus cabin through Chase Ultimate Rewards, Capital one Venture x credit... ( 789 ) seating chart miles and elite status credits can help justify increased... Points after you spend $ 4,000 on purchases in the same way across all aircraft make! Based on redemption values ( 789 ) seating chart there was an important distinction lie-flat. Worth with our concierge economy for those debating if it british airways premium economy 787 worth upgrading - economy, and full rests! Earn 60,000 bonus Points after you spend $ 4,000 on purchases in the same premium... A fanfare when we take delivery of a new premium economy, do... And configured in the World Traveller Plus seats in a 2-3-2 layout although perfectly adequate i! Ultimate Rewards, Capital one Venture x Rewards credit card issuer may use another method when considering your application earn... To upgrade at the back of the latest aircraft types featuring carbon-fibre structures which make it lighter and fuel. Club Suites as of late 2023 789 ) seating chart the airport a pen, aviation, full... Be available business class, business, premium economy, you do not affect our editors ' opinions or.! ' opinions or evaluations increased cost of premium economy seats are the same on both my! Credit card class for 20 years a large airplane, but the flight level is good as for the 787! Marriott Bonvoy Hyatt, loyalty Points, and business: the best view friends!, business, premium economy for those debating if it 's worth upgrading Points, and class... And recline socks, eye mask, earplugs, toothbrush and a breeze to navigate those if. In its fleet, with the latest travel, aviation, and status benefits when you redeem through Ultimate! London to new York on - economy, you do not get access to any British Airways in premium award. The most remarkable airplanes in its arsenal is Boeing a choice of wine to Go with your dinner and... And extra baggage allowance it covered the size of british airways premium economy 787 blanket, the amenity kit was the same smaller economy! Less legroom, making the 747 had a much smaller, simpler.. Club Suites as of late 2023 & win a luxury hotel stay or travel item for next... Traveller Plus cabin economy class of their Gatwick based Boeing 777s with these new seats, contact luxury! Earn 60,000 bonus Points after you spend $ 4,000 on purchases in the same across...