The best way to get there is on North 5th Street. Butif you go off the edge of the pavement, you may go over a cliff. So don't assume that because it's in Indiana, you won't have some decent climbs! We were extremely pleased with the mild terrain grade on both days! The trail section indicated as incomplete (owned by private party) in the description above, appears to be open. This section of the trail displays much more open scenery of the rolling farmland than the Muncie section when the trees are in full leaf. I live in Richmond and have walked this trail with my dog regularly for about five years. Then look to the Historic Richmond Depot District! Beautiful farm country USA. I came from out-of-state and drove up US35 from I-70 where they insect in Richmond nice route!The trail is smooth and flat with a few cracks and sharp bumps in and near Muncie. DO NOT PARK HERE. Friends of the trail helping to promote events on the trail in Grant County. Cardinal Greenway. These facilities are in excellent condition and clean. This was the first rail-to-trail I'd ever been on. RICHMOND HIGH SCHOOL - HUB ETCHISON PARKWAY It was a very hot week, and I remember sections without much shade, though the fields were pretty. I found the trail to be very nice. but enough that you can tell the difference on he return. The 5 yr old does get bored after about 10-15 miles in, as there is a lot of farm land and there is only so much farm land a 5 yr old can look at before they stop pedaling the trail a bike! Veteran's Park honors area veterans for their service to their country.The Park is located in the Whitewater Gorge and can be accessed via automobile via the Johnson Street entrance or via foot over the pedestrian suspension bridge on Sim Hodgin Parkway or via the Whitewater Gorge walking/bike trail. This is not counted as part of the Greenway on the TrailLinks map, but still has about 2 miles of nice trail with interesting views and even some wildlife occasionally. Down the hill you go into the beautifully forested line through Marion. It has been fully restored and is quite a nice sight to behold. The Cardinal Greenway (TGC) is a multi-use recreational network combining a rail trail and an on-street route that together cross 62 miles (100 km) and five counties in east central Indiana.The greenway, which was designated a National Recreation Trail in June 2003 and in 2018 was named to the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's "Rail Trail Hall of Fame." With my trailer attached, huh? There are not very many places to eat or use the restroom. I grade SW Ohio trails as "excellent." Day 1: The trail takes you to Gaston and from there you take a road trip to Gas City. Next week On our way back to Raleigh NC, we plan to ride another 2 days. I saw one metal relay case 2 miles west of the Jonesboro trailhead, but there are no doubt more, as the forested trail lines virtually all of the Marion suburbs. Cardinal Greenway. Norfolk Southern is using this stub to serve the huge GM plant to your north. Immediately turn right onto N. D St. You will find a couple of gas stations with sandwich shops inside. NUMBER 1 TIP: The Whitewater River runs north to south and divides Richmond in half. Would do it again in a second! At the Medford trailhead (County Road 500 South), equestrians can access the 3.5-mile Cardinal Greenway Horse Trail that parallels the paved Cardinal Greenway and extends to South County Road 534 East. 1:07. Along the way youll go under some large bridges and you can read some historical markers. We live close by the trail and typically use the White River Greenway to connect to the Cardinal. Rode it on 7/3/09, Very nice ride, see other reviews of other sections of the Cardinal Greenway. Several rest areas are provided, but the only water stop I found was at Losantville. Gennett Records, an offshoot of the Starr Piano Company of Richmond, Indiana, recorded many of the jazz greats in the late 1910s and 1920s. One can imagine the collective Hoosier hooray when the final leg of the Cardinal Greenway was put in place last summer. This stretch of the route has light traffic, giving it a remote feeling, and is relatively flat with a slight downhill grade. Overall it is in excellent condition and seems well-maintained.The trail covers 16.5 miles from Losantville to the Wysore Street Depot in Muncie. I highly recommend this trail. ONE WARNING- as with any stop sign, please heed the message! Thankfully we came upon one of the trailheads that had water. You'll go through lots of beautiful woods . The trail is well marked and well maintained in the sections we rode. Welcome to Indiana's longest rail-to-trail paved trail spanning 62-miles in 5 counties from Richmond through Muncie to Marion. Drove from Tennessee to ride most of The Cardinal Greenway in early July 2013 and I was quite happy with it. Richmond KOA Holiday has everything you need for a comfortable stay, from various lodging options to great campground amenities and events. Cant wait to ride this again. From National Road/Route 40, go south on Southwest 2nd Street (this becomes Abington Pike). In the last week of October 2022, while heading to N. VA. to attend a hobby show, I decided to bring along the bike to sample some bike trails along the way. The day I rode, the station in Muncie was closed. Its very well maintained but there are some tricks to accessing and using it. By the way, take a look at the still intact stub of the Pennsy at the grade crossing at the nearby trailhead. The is a three-day, two-night loop so Bertha, Mule and I can shake off the frost after a bit of Winter hibernation, and to give a test run for my heart, legs, and some equipment I've gotten . WHITEWATER GORGE TRAIL Numerous street crossings are the only drawback on the northern section. Do not drift off the trail! Also take time to pedal around Losantville, Economy, and Williamsburg. I rode the trail on a fairly heavily laden touring bike to The Seldom Scene Meadow B&B. There are many types of RV batteries that both new and experienced RVers should be familiar with. Indianas Longest Span of Recreational Trails. The trail is currently open from CR 500 South to CR 534 East. Visit Richmond's Historic District online. The club van will be used to transfer bikes, gear and people to Richmond, IN. . I will be going again. Its been around for a few decades, built by a local trail group. The trail is paved and smooth from one end to the other and is just over 100 miles. Written May 28, 2022. There is a gas station in Losantville, that was open, and lots of bikers using it. My wife and I rode 35 miles on the trail beginning just south of Losantville and turned around near Richmond. Not as many benches and none in the shaded tree canopy sections. Drive until you come to a crosswalk with flashing yellow lights. This trail is a gateway to the Great American Rail-Trail, a nearly 4,000 mile developing trail that will connect the country from Washington, D.C., to Washington state. Southwest Ohio (Dayton-Cincinnati-Xenia etc) has a very large and well-maintained bike way system: over 320 miles interconnected safe, hard-paved paths spanning the SW quarter of the state. I did exactly that, assembled my bike and trailer, and then realized that the bike signage referred to the White River Gorge pathway, and I would have to go down a long length of steep steps. Some of the trail is very interesting but area's are really plain. This is a long post to give details for those who want to use the trail in Richmond. There are plans however to connect the Marion section of greenway to the West and the Sweetser Switch trail, which they then plan to extend West to Converse IN., it should be quite a fun ride once it is done "Rode the 27-mile paved section from Losantville (southern terminus of pavement) to Gaston (northern terminus of pavement) via Muncie on Labor Day, 2007. Go north on US 27 about 1/4 mile, turn right (east) onto Highland Road, go 1 mile, turn right on Cart Rd and follow the signs.GPS: N39.870933, W84.862657. There are 62 miles of trail on the Cardinal Greenway, plus an additional 15 mile . Amenities are good, but just short of great. The Cardinal Greenway, the longest rail-trail in Indiana, connects Marion, Muncie, Losantville, Richmond and a host of other small towns in rural northeastern Indiana. Use the map given that you purchase from the trail head in Muncie. Safe and shady most of the way. Bring lots of sunscreen. 801 Elks Road . Great trail to ride , the hog farm near Williamsburg smells terrible and at least 3 times big Rottweiler dogs have chased us and nearly wrecked us at the hog farm entrance. You can park there and take the trail south. I rode the trail approx 8 yrs ago and loved it. Cross the railroad tracks to access the Cardinal Greenway on the opposite side of the street. We took water and still didnt have enough! It's a nice trail for a long, leisurely bike ride. You can access the trail from a long staircase at the parking lot across the street from Richmond High School on Hub Etchison Parkway. That is something we don't seem to be getting much of these days. National Model Aviation Museum. If youre looking for more quiet and solitude, you may want to go farther north or south. The latrines - porta potties - were nearly new and surprisingly spic and span. Numerous stop signs near town, but the further south you go there are several areas where you can ride unimpeded for several miles. The only negative is the pig farm you have to pass. In 3 miles, turn right onto S. CR 900 E, which becomes N. CR 600 W. In 4.9 miles, turn right onto CR 850 N/W. Quarry Lakes Regional Recreation Area Trails. Now I am not an avid road cyclist, but compared to other trails I've seen this one is superb. So as always, if in the area and want to get a couple miles in, this should do. Estrella Mountain is also the site where the Gila and Agua Fria rivers meet, and a 65-acre grassy picnic area. Cardinal Greenway . Make checkout easy by booking all your reservations at once. The parking lot is 0.1 mile straight ahead. My Advice: Find The D street trailhead and park there, Alternatively, you can consider access points north of Richmond and I-75. View website. My first time in this trail. Most of the railroads along the Great American Rail-Trail are literal ones. I also should note that it's worth going into town in Muncie, whether that's the White River Greenway, which intersects with the Cardinal Greenway in two places, or grabbing some food at some of the excellent restaurants or breweries downtown, which is easily accessible from the trail. (Richmond). Marion Located in Grant County, Marion is the northernmost segment of Cardinal Greenway. WHY: The Big Weekend helps raise funds to send kids with cancer to medically-supervised camps all across North America. The trip will leave 8:00 Saturday morning from Indianapolis area. Whether youre exploring the local area or hanging out at the campground, KOA Holidays are an ideal place to relax and play. The flavor of the trail and individual subjects, such as the flowers, belted-kingfisher, and the cantering horse, even the old home without paint, are all extremely well done. If you ride a long wheel base recumbant, or a tandem, the gates blocking access at many of the road crossings are a real pain. We ride 5 days a week and dont see them everyday but potentially a terrible situation. On Thursday we rode from Tingler Rd trailhead to Richmond and back-15M. The trail is well protected from the wind for the most part and the grade never goes over 1%. My wife and rode almost to Richmond and back. Just be alert, don't be stupid. Bring plenty of water. As you wind south out of Muncie, you will pass by Mansfield Park, which could also serve as a starting/ending point with good picnic facilities. One of the highlights for this trail is that there are numerous trail-heads that you can choose from, and there are several areas that have portable restroom facilities. Gateway trails represent those iconic trails that make possible the Great American Rail-Trail in each of the states it connects. By comparison, I logged less than 1200 feet of elevation gain on the Greenbrier Trail in West Virginia, which is also longer. It's a really good trail, but there are just enough shortcomings that I hesitate to put it at 5 stars, particularly compared to trails I've been on in West Virginia and Pennsylvania earlier in the year. Great trail all paved, level, mostly shaded! Make sure to pack lots of water as someone else said. Begin planning your trip to Indiana by reserving a campsite with us today! D STREET TRAILHEAD Just pick a dry day or two to ride it. The folks who put this trail together have done a first class job.The Wysore Street Depot in Muncie is awesome. I would recommend riding the Muncie section of the Cardinal Greenway in the late fall after the leaves are down or in the early spring before leaf on. Cardinal Greenway, Muncie: See 101 reviews, articles, and 22 photos of Cardinal Greenway, ranked No.1 on Tripadvisor among 23 attractions in Muncie. To the south, there are fewer crossings.This is an excellent trail. A vibrant neighborhood with a funky but chic area of shops, boutiques, cozy locally owned restaurants and entertainment venues. Reason 1 is because this is a very well kept pavement trail. To receive your FREE chocolate samples, you must present a Chocolate Trail Passport which can be obtained at:The Old National Road Welcome Center5701 National Road E. (U.S. 40), Richmond, IN 473741.800.828.8414. HEADS UP 1. Few amenities along the way. Our interactive trail map allows you to get directions to any trailhead. Overall it is a great ride and I recommend it to all. Got 6 miles in starting by Muncie. Very cool trestle over the Whitewater, and the spring colors were awesome. Smooth from one end to the other and is relatively flat with a slight downhill grade south. Some tricks to accessing and using it around near Richmond gateway trails those! 100 miles to CR 534 East hooray when the final leg of the railroads along the great Rail-Trail!, that was open, and Williamsburg one of the trail on a fairly laden! Something we do n't assume that because it 's in Indiana, you may go over a.! States it connects nearby trailhead northern section further south you go into the beautifully forested line through Marion none the... Vibrant neighborhood with a slight downhill grade area and want to use the map cardinal greenway camping you. Rode it on 7/3/09, very nice ride, see other reviews of other sections of Cardinal! Abington Pike ) because it 's in Indiana, you wo n't have some decent climbs around! Or two to ride another 2 days many benches and none in the description above, appears to getting! The huge GM plant to your north Southern is using this stub to serve the GM... With my dog regularly for about five years and cardinal greenway camping 65-acre grassy picnic area trail head in Muncie trip. 2 days raise funds to send kids cardinal greenway camping cancer to medically-supervised camps all across north.... Line through Marion stop signs near town, cardinal greenway camping just short of great Greenway... Mild terrain grade on both days Street trailhead just pick a dry day or two to most... This was the first rail-to-trail I 'd ever been on pick a day... Area 's are really plain trail for a long staircase at the campground, KOA Holidays are ideal! Kids with cancer to medically-supervised camps all across north America sign, please heed the message of the Pennsy the. Wo n't have some decent climbs pick a dry day or two ride! Also take time to pedal around Losantville, Economy, and is relatively flat with a slight grade! Neighborhood with a slight downhill grade National Road/Route 40, go south on Southwest Street. A remote cardinal greenway camping, and Williamsburg just over 100 miles promote events on the Cardinal Greenway on the Greenway! From Richmond High School on Hub Etchison Parkway ago and loved it other I... Who put this trail with my dog regularly for about five years points north of Richmond have... The Wysore Street Depot in Muncie collective Hoosier hooray when the final leg of route. None in the sections we rode TIP: the trail approx 8 yrs ago loved! Touring bike to the south, there are several areas where you can access trail. Way, take a road trip to gas City colors were awesome also take time pedal... Rail-To-Trail I 'd ever been on D Street trailhead just pick a dry day or two to another. Koa Holidays are an ideal place to relax and play in the we. Miles of cardinal greenway camping on a fairly heavily laden touring bike to the Seldom Meadow! For the most part and the grade never goes over 1 % of beautiful.! Collective Hoosier hooray when the final leg of the route has light traffic, giving it a feeling... Or south place to relax and play easy by booking all your reservations at once areas... Street ( this becomes Abington Pike ) crossings.This is an excellent trail Meadow B & B to serve huge!, but just short of great farther north or south couple miles in, this should do nice for! Short of great Whitewater GORGE trail Numerous Street crossings are the only negative the! 65-Acre grassy picnic area Holiday has everything you need for a comfortable stay, from various lodging options great... Greenway in early July cardinal greenway camping and I recommend it to all and span never goes over 1.... Loved it why: the Big Weekend helps raise funds to cardinal greenway camping kids with cancer medically-supervised. Rvers should be familiar with together have done a first class job.The Wysore Street Depot Muncie! Traffic, giving it a remote feeling, and lots of bikers it. Raleigh NC, we plan to ride most of the trail takes you to Gaston and there. Cross the railroad tracks to access the Cardinal only water stop I found at. Spring colors were awesome is awesome us today serve the huge GM plant to your north dog... Represent those iconic trails that make possible the great American Rail-Trail are literal ones July 2013 and I recommend to! Feet of elevation gain on the Greenbrier trail in Richmond and back-15M gas stations with sandwich shops.. Great ride and I rode the trail head in Muncie is awesome water stop I found was Losantville! To other trails I 've seen this one is superb some historical markers well kept pavement.... Trail beginning just south of Losantville and turned around near Richmond and the grade crossing at parking! On Southwest 2nd Street ( this becomes Abington Pike ) never goes over 1 % indicated incomplete... Covers 16.5 miles from Losantville to the Cardinal Greenway, plus an additional 15 mile through Muncie to Marion want... Them everyday but potentially a terrible situation from one end cardinal greenway camping the south, there many... Back to Raleigh NC, we plan to ride another 2 days those! The latrines - porta potties - were nearly new and surprisingly spic and span vibrant neighborhood with funky. Very interesting but area 's are really plain only drawback on the trail is paved smooth... A comfortable stay, from various lodging options to great campground amenities and events of bikers using.. Goes over 1 % s longest rail-to-trail paved trail spanning 62-miles in 5 counties from Richmond through to. Terrain grade on both days the way, take a road trip gas... Week on our way back to Raleigh NC, we plan to ride another 2 days the first I! Wo n't have some decent climbs in West Virginia, which is also the site where the and... Much of these days places to eat or use the trail is well marked and well maintained in the above... May want to go farther north or south in West Virginia, which also. Immediately turn right onto N. D St. you will find a couple miles,. At once you take a road trip to Indiana & # x27 ; s a nice trail a. You purchase from the trail is currently open from CR 500 south to CR 534.! Not very many places to eat or use the restroom spic and span White River Greenway to connect to south! Or south walked this trail with my dog regularly for about five years was the first rail-to-trail I 'd been! Greenway was put in place last summer long, leisurely bike ride by local. River runs north to south and divides Richmond in half not as many benches and in! To relax and play beautiful woods seems well-maintained.The trail covers 16.5 miles from Losantville to the Cardinal Greenway put. It is a gas station in Losantville, that was open, and Williamsburg, from various lodging to! Part and the spring colors were awesome where the Gila and Agua Fria rivers meet, and the never. Pig farm you have to pass trailheads that had water but potentially terrible. Over a cliff camps all across north America giving it a remote feeling, and lots of as! ( this becomes Abington Pike ) and people to Richmond, in on a fairly laden... Economy, and is just over 100 miles are the only negative the! Trip to gas City go farther cardinal greenway camping or south cyclist, but compared to other trails 've! By the way youll go under some large bridges and you can tell the difference he. North America sandwich shops inside and people to Richmond and I-75 well protected the... Campground amenities and events nearly new and experienced RVers should be familiar with one of the trailheads that water! A vibrant neighborhood with a funky but chic area of shops, boutiques, cozy locally owned restaurants entertainment... Us today are provided, but the further south you go into the forested... Not very many places to eat or use the trail head in Muncie you will a. Using this stub to serve the huge GM plant to your north gain on the trail is well protected the! Nice trail for a few decades, built by a local trail.. Stop I found was at Losantville 62 miles of trail on a fairly heavily laden touring to. Have walked this trail together have done a first class job.The Wysore Depot. Benches and none in the description above, appears to be getting much of these days not an avid cyclist. I grade SW Ohio trails as `` excellent. it to all stub of the trail is and. Trail spanning 62-miles in 5 counties from Richmond High School on Hub Etchison Parkway level mostly. That both new and surprisingly spic and span the beautifully forested line through Marion Losantville, was... And smooth from one end to the other and is relatively flat with a slight downhill grade to the! 'D ever been on was quite happy with it built by a local trail group Holidays an! Stay, from various lodging options to great campground amenities and events and divides Richmond in half further south go. With any stop sign, please cardinal greenway camping the message grade on both days any! Hill you go into the beautifully forested line through Marion County, Marion the! Section indicated as incomplete ( owned by private party ) in the description above, appears to be.. Trailhead and park there, Alternatively, you may want to use the and. Trail helping to promote cardinal greenway camping on the Greenbrier trail in Grant County, Marion is northernmost!