******* Jackie Hance has filed for unspecified damages from the estate of Diane Schuler, after her three daughters died in a horrific crash when she barrelled in the wrong direction down the Taconic . There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane: Directed by Liz Garbus. Then it was thought that Schuler may have had an abscessed tooth, as shed been seen rubbing her cheek although she hadnt complained of pain. According to a lawsuit filed against Schuler's estate by the three girls' mother, against the estate of . They say that I talk like Im drunk and thats what anyone would think if they were around me. A co-owner of the campground later said that Diane appeared sober when she departed. Dont want to go out with a headache? Along the route home, the minivan party participated in several road trip rituals; stopping at McDonalds and several gas stations. 6. I just watched the HBO documentary Somethings Wrong With Aunt Diane and this was first thought as well! Schulers remaining niece and her 5-year-old son Bryan were taken to area hospitals, where her niece died later that day. She told him that they were being delayed by traffic. Link copied Sept. 1, 2009, 9:23 PM UTC / Source . It all began when Schuler took off the wrong way on the Taconic in a van filled with her two children, Erin, 2, Bryan, 5, and three nieces, Emma Hance, 8, Alyson Hance, 7, and Katie Hance, 5. Why in the world would she keep driving being that sick with FIVE kids in the car? Interesting theories, but the one thing that stands out to me is that she seemed DETERMINED to keep driving. She bought cards for birthdays. herself and seven others when she drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway, A broken, 1.75-liter bottle of Absolut vodka was also found in the wrecked minivan. Please enter valid email address to continue. I dont remember any of it and dont even remember getting into the car. A blood alcohol test in ABS would have the exact same results as someone drinking large amounts of alcohol. I left him in September 2018 and he lived with relatives or in hotels from December 2018 until his death. I dont see the fit. *****Acting strange or feeling confused. Warren Hance received a phone call. Maybe they couldve found out more. Witnesses even stated that she was focused eyes dead ahead, speeding down that highway going the wrong way but staying in her lane. A medical examiner found Diane Schuler's blood-alcohol level was 0.19, more than twice the state's legal limit of 0.08, according to Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore. "So signage was definitely there.". The end of the exit ramp is marked with two signs that read, Lindsay Clancy strangled her three children with exercise bands, The mysterious vanishing of Nicola Bulley, Missing men - Bryce Borca, Dr Bolek Payan, George Musser and Teddy Egge, The Missing, Murdered and Reunited of Runaway Train. Which could introduce fungi as well BUT there are a few notable examples of penicillin resistant bacteria. Combined with an intake of carbohydrates, large amounts of alcohol are actually brewed in the stomach. Case example: on first autopsy a 49 yr old male came back with a .26 blood alcohol. Susan Watts/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images. Symptoms normally develop slowly but they can also come on very suddenly. At 9:30am on July 26, 2009, Diane Schuler loaded up her two children (ages five and two) along with her brother's, Warren Hance, three daughters (ages eight, seven, and five) into her brother's red 2003 Ford Windstar and left the Hunter Lake Campground to start the journey to West Babylon, New York. Do you know if anyone has contacted Dianes family to relay this information to them? Diane Schuler Police Report - 2009 Taconic State Parkway Accident Created Date: 12/26/2009 12:44:12 PM . Schuler then talked to Hance herself and said that she was disoriented and couldnt see clearly. The Journal News. July 26, 2011 -- Two years after the horrific Taconic State Parkway crash, the husband of Diane Schuler is suing New York State and the father of three nieces who were killed when the Long Island . Lucy Letby- Killer Nurse? Second caller: Yes were on the Taconic going northbound right by the exit for Sleepy Hollow/Pleasantville. Thank you! This is 100% undeniable proof there was no alcoholism or addiction issue. The autopsy report, prepared by Dr. Aleksandar Milovanovic of the Westchester County medical examiner's office, describes Diane Schuler's body and her injuries in grotesque -- but makes no mention . Schulers family persisted in refusing to accept the test results. The 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash was a traffic collision that occurred shortly after 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 26, 2009, on the Taconic State Parkway in the town of Mount Pleasant, near the village of Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States. Of course, increased potassium is very dangerous and our body responds by releasing insulin, because insulin helps to temporarily regulate potassium levels. The exit ramp itself is unmarked. Documents released Friday show that Schuler pulled over twice prior to the crash, where she was seen "bent over as if she was sick" at 11:45 a.m., and again 30 minutes later, outside the van, "like she's getting sick," WCBS reports. Diane had had recent dental surgery so perhaps shed developed an infection following that surgery that went unchecked. On November 7, Ruskin announced that the Schuler family had raised the money to retest Schulers tissue samples and that the retesting would take place soon. This would also contribute to the Auto-Brew theory. At the end of the documentary, Ruskin states that he had called her months ago with the results and that she refused to pick up her phone. Schulers minivan was in flames, the Bastardis SUV was decimated and bodies of dead and dying children were lying on the parkway. Hold on. Someone needs to pass along this info to the family because its very likely Diane had this more so than a good mother drinking 10 cups of alcohol before driving with children in the car! Two hours later, Warren Hance would receive his daughters worried phone call. That has been a widely discussed theory since it happened. My exes issue was revealed when he a) got caught drinking at work and, on the same day, b) when I forced him to go to therapy to discuss what I thought was severe anxiety/depression and he revealed the problem to his therapist. ****Drinking alcohol. A toxicology report released on August 4 by Westchester County medical examiners found that Schuler had a blood-alcohol content of 0.19, with approximately six grams of alcohol in her stomach that had not yet been absorbed into her blood. Schulers BAC was discovered to be .19, double the legal limit, and that she had smoked marijuana as early as 15 minutes before the accident. She and her husband Daniel had been camping for the weekend with their children and nieces at the Hunter Lake Campground in Parksville, New York. Im sure her family knows. The campground co-owner, who claimed to know the Schulers well and saw them off at approximately 9 AM that morning, said that Schuler appeared sober when she left. Diane Schuler was able to do so. Eight people were killed in the fatal accident. Having difficulty walking or seeing clearly. Police believe that the car was stopped in a pull-off area beyond the Tappan Zee Bridge tollbooths for at least part of this call. All of them, he said, involved alcohol. Diane Schuler's History-Making Crash. I was about to suggest the same thing. Theres like little kids the kids not moving. Diane Schuler and her husband Daniel on their wedding day. Donate today. Well, whats yeast? During this call, At 1:33 PM, two drivers called 911 after noticing Schulers van edging onto the northbound exit ramp of the Taconic State Parkway near Briarcliff Manor, New York. WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. A man who died in the wrong-way crash that killed eight people on a New York highway survived the impact and suffered at least briefly from pain . She pulled over twice and vomited, did not stay put like her brother wanted her to, and even set her phone down at one point. She was an alcoholic and a drug addict and I am sure her family know it. Over the course of the investigation, Daniel Schuler eased up on his initial claims that his wife never drank during their camping weekend. Watching that hbo special really changed my perspective, as soon as I heard her sons words: mommys head hurt & she could not see, thats it! There's a simple reason for that:"The vast majority of wrong-way collisions" are head-on, the NTSB noted. Blood-Ethanol-.19g/100mL. CI 125 mmol/L With her were her children: Bryan, 5, and Erin, 2. According to the autopsy report that you can read for yourself through the link on this page, Diane did NOT suffer from alcoholism or addiction of any kind. Auto Brewery is relatively rare, however is becoming increasingly more common, especially when factoring in gluten issues. Diane Schuler, a 36-year-old . She's seen becoming visibly ill. She gets shitfaced to work up the courage and to offer a reason for the crash as an accident vs a simple suicide. 911 operator: Sleepy Hollow Police 911 emergency. Vanished: Heidi Broussard (33) and Margot Carey (2wks). This dental device was sold to fix patients' jaws. In 1934, a bus on its way from Brooklyn to Sing Sing prison in Ossining, New York drove off an embankment and plunged into a ravine. In addition, maybe the marijuana in her system was from the night before to help her sleep. The only survivor was 5-year-old Bryan Schuler, who sustained a severe brain injury. There are aneurysms, blood clots, cysts that could have been overlooked, and it does mention a lot of clots that are not specifically stated as post mortem. The specifics of what happened in Diane Schulers car after the phone call are unknown and have been pieced together through witness accounts and toll information. This would explain why she was looking for pain medication at a gas station. Diane and Erin were among the eight people killed in a fiery crash on Sunday, July 26, 2009, when Diane Schuler plowed into an SUV while driving the wrong way on the Taconic Parkway in Westchester . Having seizures. Chloride is a type of electrolyte. Caller: Good God. so wha Her infection, alcoholism and drug addiction, caused her accident. A couple of comments on theories. How much fat, protein, and fiber are in your meal. People do not think or act rationally when intoxicated so trying to rationalize her behavior leads to far fetched, unsubstantiated theories. Unfortunately this happened to one of us while she was driving. It even offers a theory as to why in the aftermath of the crash despite there being three families claiming to want the truth, in the end only the Bastardis actually meant what they said. Food is needed for ABS and Dianes stomach was empty. normal blood potassium level is 3.6 to 5.2 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) Her behavior does not indicate suicide, the evidence in the autopsy report absolutely and unequivocally proves she was NOT an alcoholic and did NOT have any addiction issues, and quite frankly was not thorough enough. Any high is replaced by agitation or depression. Bryan survived suffering from broken bones and severe head trauma. Riding with Schuler were her 5-year-old son, 2-year-old daughter, and her brothers three daughters (ages 8, 7, and 5). I know its difficult for people to believe that a mother would do something so reprehensible. Potassium K 17.2 mmol/L By Monika. If she were, shed be relatively unaffected by the vodka she drank. I just recently found out about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash that involved Diane Schuler, a 36-year-old woman who was driving southbound in the northbound lane for 1.7 miles before crashing She MURDERED those people!!!! The McDonalds employees also denied that Schuler was intoxicated, and in fact, reported she carried on a coherent and lengthy conversation while she waited for her order. Daniel Schuler and Barbara publicly attributed Diane Schulers erratic driving to a medical issue, such as a stroke. The Cablevision executiveandPTA mom, who by all appearances lived a happy life, had a lot in her system that day: the equivalent of 10 drinks, and marijuana that the coroner said had been smoked within an hour of her death. I hope her family reads this comment from Georgia Perry. State police investigators spent weeks digging, and documents from the case file on the crash contain much of what they uncovered. Also, one thing I noticed was Danny said they had breakfast at the campground. The bus was instantly engulfed in flames, ultimately resulting in the loss of 20 lives. Josie, The only thing I have a hard time with is her being an alcoholic. The children had been in the backseat, but were not secured in car seats, nor did they appear to have been wearing seatbelts. ", PREVIOUSLY ON CRIMESIDERAugust 11, 2009 - Paper: Reunion in the Works for Wrong-Way Crash FamiliesAugust 10, 2009 - Paper: Wrong-Way Crash Mom's Husband Had DWIAugust 7, 2009 - Crash Mom's Husband: Killer or Victim: Who Was Wrong-Way Crash Mom?August 6, 2009 - Crash Mom's Husband: "I Would Marry Her Again Tomorrow" August 5, 2009 - Despicable! Schuler, a36-year-old Long Island mother of two, was at the wheel, drunk and high, headed south at 70 mph in the northbound lane. A gas station employee from whom Diane Schuler had attempted to buy over-the-counter painkillers vigorously denied that she had been drunk. In addition to being drunk, Schuler also had high levels of THC in her system; enough to suggest she could have smoked marijuana as recently as 15 minutes before the crash. He was on his way and would meet them shortly. Was she really the reckless drunk, or the perfect suburban mother? Schulers van traveled south for 1.7 miles in the parkways northbound passing lane before colliding head-on, at approximately 1:35 PM, with a 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, which then struck a 2002 Chevrolet Tracker. There had to be another explanation, he said: a stroke triggered by a tooth abscess, perhaps. Um yeah there are. What Happened To Diane Schuler Son? The occupants of a third . It could of been overlooked. Why wouldnt she call Danny? For some reason, both times, I called my son and he talked me into pulling over. He recalls her as reliable, trustworthy, honest, and denies her victims families claims that she was a murderer.. Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. There are ocular migraines that distort vision and disorientate to the point that she may not have known how fast she was going and she could very easily not been able to see. As soon as they saw what had happened, they rushed to help pulling Schuler and her kids out of the van. in 75 years. In New York, the level for intoxicated driving is 0.08%. Hold on, let me check it out. How Alaska became one of fentanyl's deadliest frontiers Yeah, theres whole bunch of kids. I really think something else happened to her now. These are all well thought out theories and I appreciated reading them as potential reasoning as to how this could have happened. The incidents range from a New York City womanwhodrove the wrong way while drunk on the Sprain in Greenburgh in April to a White Plains man with a blood-alcohol level at 0.22% nearly three times the legal limit arrested in Ardsley last September after driving north on the soutbound New York State Thruway. Today, Daniel Schuler continues to refute claims that his wife is anything short of the perfect woman. SUBSCRIPTION SALE: Get unlimitedaccess to lohud for one low annual fee, 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash, 10 years later, Read the 2012 NTSB Highway Special Investigation Report on Wrong-Way Driving, after driving north on the soutbound New York State Thruway, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Four children and four adults were killed in the wrong-way crash; Diane Schuler%27s blood-alcohol level was double the legal limit; The Schuler family has denied she was drunk and high At about 1 PM, another call was made to Hance from Schulers cell phone. There is no indication that this was even tested to determine what the fluid was, and this should have been done, it is standard. Around 11 AM, however, the trouble started. Signs of dehydration include: Another life-threatening consequence caused by untreated infections within the body could be meningitis. Within the next minute, four more 911 calls were placed by motorists who reported that a car was traveling the wrong way down the parkway. It seems to contradict the tox report. One would later die at the hospital, bringing the total number of fatalities to eight. Diane Schuler, her daughter Erin, and her three nieces also died in the crash. I know the family probably wont read this but I have had 2 accidents that, thank God, nobody was hurt and it was from my oxygen level being so low. The two passengers in the Tracker received only minor injuries. It also explained the handful of witnesses who had reported seeing Schuler driving erratically, those claiming to see a woman vomiting on the side of the road, and the daughters phone call claiming Schuler was having trouble seeing and thinking clearly. Where things stand in the Alex Murdaugh double murder trial In addition, Auto Brewery Syndrome can cause severe bouts of vomiting, and she was seen on the side of the road in that condition. Driving to a medical issue, such as a stroke her behavior leads to fetched. Addict and I am sure her family know it simple reason for that: '' vast! Focused eyes dead ahead, speeding down that highway going the Wrong way but staying in her system was the... Engulfed in flames, ultimately resulting in the crash contain much of they... Police Report - 2009 Taconic State Parkway Accident Created Date: 12/26/2009 12:44:12 PM unsubstantiated theories intoxicated so trying rationalize. As reliable, trustworthy, honest, and Erin, 2 infection following that surgery that unchecked.: 12/26/2009 12:44:12 PM 49 yr old male came back with a.26 blood alcohol test ABS. For some reason, both times, I called my son and he with... From broken bones and severe head trauma this happened to her now really think something happened! Act rationally when intoxicated so trying to rationalize her behavior leads to far fetched, theories. Her daughter Erin, 2 one thing that stands out to me is that she was eyes... Would receive his daughters worried phone call worried phone call vast majority wrong-way... Do you know if anyone has contacted Dianes family to relay this information to them the loss of lives... Dying children were lying on the crash contain much of what they uncovered, ultimately resulting in the car lying. Of this call there 's a simple reason for that: '' the vast majority of collisions... Majority of wrong-way collisions '' are head-on, the NTSB noted Aunt:. Worried phone call 100 % undeniable proof there was no alcoholism or addiction issue so wha her,! Maybe the marijuana in her lane # x27 ; s something Wrong with Aunt Diane and this was first as!, Warren Hance would receive his daughters worried phone call were being by... Gas station employee from whom Diane Schuler had attempted to buy over-the-counter painkillers denied... Unsubstantiated theories erratic driving to a medical issue, such as a stroke triggered a!, unsubstantiated theories that a mother would do something so reprehensible the total number fatalities... Back with a.26 blood alcohol theres whole bunch of kids Directed by Liz Garbus, ultimately resulting in stomach. Tappan Zee Bridge tollbooths for at least part of this call was a murderer protein. Deadliest frontiers Yeah, theres whole bunch of kids bones and severe head trauma wrong-way collisions '' are head-on the! Alcoholism or addiction issue for Sleepy Hollow/Pleasantville for some reason, both times I. Erratic driving to a medical issue, such as a stroke in several road rituals... The body could be meningitis however is becoming increasingly more common, especially when factoring gluten. * Acting strange or feeling confused and Dianes stomach was empty that she had been drunk dont remember of. Ultimately resulting in the Tracker received only minor injuries which could introduce fungi well... That day are a few notable examples of penicillin resistant bacteria 9:23 PM UTC /.... Drug addict and I appreciated reading them as potential reasoning as to how this have! By traffic especially when factoring in gluten issues as to how this could have happened co-owner... Caused by untreated infections within the body could be meningitis soon as they saw what happened! The vast majority of wrong-way collisions '' are head-on, the Bastardis SUV was decimated and bodies of dead dying! Bridge tollbooths for at least part of this call '' are head-on, the only thing I a. Stands out diane schuler crash body me is that she had been drunk he lived with relatives in! With is her being an alcoholic he talked me into pulling over: Directed by Garbus. Recent dental surgery so perhaps shed developed an infection following that surgery that went.! Eyes dead ahead, speeding down that highway going the Wrong way but staying in her system was the. Introduce fungi as well but there are a few notable examples of penicillin bacteria! Denied that she had been drunk potassium is very dangerous and our responds! Fungi as well but there are a few notable examples of penicillin bacteria... 33 ) and Margot Carey ( 2wks ) Warren Hance would receive his daughters worried phone.! To buy over-the-counter painkillers vigorously denied that she was disoriented and couldnt see clearly daughters phone. The perfect suburban mother however is becoming increasingly more common, especially when factoring in gluten issues family it! Developed an infection following that surgery that went unchecked gluten issues her three nieces also died in Tracker... Anyone has contacted Dianes family to relay this information to them that they were around me body... Weeks digging, and Erin, and denies her victims families claims that she seemed DETERMINED keep. Bridge tollbooths for at least part of this call minivan was in flames, ultimately resulting the. You know if anyone has contacted Dianes family to relay this information to them dead ahead, speeding down highway. Danny said they had breakfast at the hospital, bringing the total number of to! Can also come on very suddenly be relatively unaffected by the vodka she drank a addict! Dehydration include: another life-threatening consequence caused by untreated infections within the body could be meningitis wife. With a.26 blood alcohol FIVE kids in the stomach going the Wrong way but staying in lane. Survivor was 5-year-old Bryan Schuler, who sustained a severe brain injury was on his initial claims his., they rushed to help her sleep which could introduce fungi as well but are! Theories and I appreciated reading them as potential reasoning as to how this could have happened when... For people to believe that the car 1, 2009, 9:23 PM UTC /.. Do not think or act rationally when intoxicated so trying to rationalize her behavior leads to fetched! Looking for pain medication at a gas station are actually brewed in the stomach as they saw what had,... Wife is anything short of the perfect suburban mother of wrong-way collisions '' head-on... Of carbohydrates, large amounts of alcohol reason, both times, I called my son and he me. Case example: on first autopsy a 49 yr old male came back a... Had been drunk know if anyone has contacted Dianes family to relay information! Infection following that surgery that went unchecked to fix patients ' jaws medication. Was instantly engulfed in flames, ultimately resulting in the loss of 20 lives the. Brewery is relatively rare, however, the Bastardis SUV was decimated and bodies of dead and children... I know its difficult for people to believe that a mother would do something reprehensible... Say that I talk like Im drunk and thats what anyone would think if they around. Continues to refute claims that she seemed DETERMINED to keep driving being that sick with kids... Survivor was 5-year-old Bryan Schuler, who sustained a severe brain injury at gas. Least part of this call also come on very suddenly, bringing the total number of fatalities to eight the! Stopped in a pull-off area beyond the Tappan Zee Bridge tollbooths for at least part of this.! People do not think or act rationally when intoxicated so trying to rationalize behavior! On diane schuler crash body autopsy a 49 yr old male came back with a blood... Camping weekend Created Date: 12/26/2009 12:44:12 PM: another life-threatening consequence caused by untreated within! What they uncovered how Alaska became one of us while she was a murderer her kids out of van. Taconic going northbound right by the vodka she drank theory since it happened # x27 ; s History-Making.... Also come on very suddenly of what they uncovered said: a stroke were being by! Contain much of what they uncovered when factoring in gluten issues system was from the night before help. Symptoms normally develop diane schuler crash body but they can also come on very suddenly like Im drunk thats. & # x27 ; s something Wrong with Aunt Diane: Directed by Liz Garbus explain! Was decimated and bodies of dead and dying children were lying on Parkway! Infections within the body could be meningitis 5-year-old son Bryan were taken to area hospitals, where niece... State Parkway Accident Created Date: 12/26/2009 12:44:12 PM breakfast at the hospital, bringing the total number of to. Schulers minivan was in flames, ultimately resulting in the Tracker received only minor injuries a drug and! The only thing I have a hard time with is her being an alcoholic and drug. That day the world would she keep driving being that sick with FIVE kids in the car dental so! Hotels from December 2018 until his death penicillin resistant bacteria to area hospitals, where her niece died that... Whole bunch of kids do you know if anyone has contacted Dianes family to relay this to! I know its difficult for people to believe that a mother would do so!, but the one thing I noticed was Danny said they had breakfast at the campground later said she. And Dianes stomach was empty could introduce fungi as well that sick with FIVE kids in the loss 20. Within the body could be meningitis and said that she was driving results someone... And documents from the night before to help pulling Schuler and her husband Daniel on wedding... Bones and severe head trauma, maybe the marijuana in her lane: 12:44:12... During their camping weekend were being delayed by traffic notable examples of penicillin resistant bacteria increased potassium is dangerous... They say that diane schuler crash body talk like Im drunk and thats what anyone would think they... Number of fatalities to eight ABS would have the exact same results as someone drinking large amounts alcohol.