This same attraction can also affect other aspects of your wilderness experience, by decreasing overall solitude with increased visitation. We recommend it as long as you are ready to stay 7 days in the backcountry! Again, a lot of trees were down that we had to circumnavigate. One thing to be aware of is that you park at the centennial trailhead parking lot, go through a gate, and hike about a mile up a gravel road before the trail starts at a wooden bridge, so the distance is probably close to 5.5 or 6 miles total. My childhood hike, worth it to see meadows. Continental Divide National Scenic Trail #813, South Fork Conejos, Rincon, and Roaring Gulch Loop, Continental Divide Trail: Lagunitas Section, Lilly Pond and Kerr Lake via Forest Road 257. United States. Biking. Bring lots of water, it's 3 miles after the first river crossing before you will have water again. The south end of the trail is accessible from Centennial Trailhead, which is located near the Forest Boundary at the end of County Road 241. ( Well be back with more snow has melted to do it all the way! We camped at ~9300 ft. Think of angles instead of areas, and approach either from below or perpendicular to the fish. We had a couple of long days and some short days with lots of time to relax. We were exhausted by the time we reached the shack and decided to camp there for the night. Erosion taking over on a couple sketchy drops. We did this trip in September. At the head of Elk Creek Canyon, the trail climbs the steep southern slope to Dipping Lakes, which sit on the ridge dividing the Elk Creek and Chama River drainages. Also visible is the famous Painted Wall, the tallest cliff in Colorado (2,250 ft.), as well as rock islands jutting up from the depths of the canyon. We loved this trail and would highly recommend! View the Map for the East Elk Creek and Spring Creek Trails (.pdf document), From New Castle, CO travel northwest on County Road 245. Even crossed paths with three different types of baby snakes! Outfitter-guides who receive any form of compensation must obtain a special-use permit to operate on public land. I missed the gate comment but it is CRITICAL. About 2.25 miles from the parking area is where the trail goes out to more exposed rock and fewer trees. The short feature was filmed and produced by Fly Fisherman on the Susquehanna River and its tributaries, with Josh Burnham and Fly Fisherman editor/publisher Ross Purnell. Glenwood Springs, CO 81601 Dry and hot. website belongs to an official government organization in the ) or https:// means you've safely Designation of a road, trail, or area should not be interpreted as an invitation to all types of travel or as an implication that the road, trail, or area is passable, actively maintained, or safe for travel. *\n*Learn more: [Boondocking 101](https . I would do it again. Want to report conditions for this trail? Unfortunately the snow kept us from anything past the waterfall near 2nd meadow. Not much elevation gain but lots of up and down. Fishing: Elk Creek is rated good for rainbow and brook trout in the lower section of the creek. Thanks also to All Trails Pro for alerting me that i was off trail! Bring an extra blood bag as you'll need to counter what's sucked out of you by the mosquitoes. It is easier for the fish to detect the leader or line from above, which could spook it. While it is easy to get stuck in the familiar groove of day-trip fishing, Elk Creek requires more commitment than most other Colorado streams. Did this route from July 28 to August 3. We just finished this trail. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 2 h 6 min to complete. Some of the largest Pale Morning Duns I have ever seen hatchfrom late June through August. Seasonal weather conditions and natural events may render designated roads, trails, and areas impassable for extended periods. For example, in August, Elk Creek typically runs low and clear. Great trail. Every mountain we encountered was amazing! Roxboro, CO. Add Rating. Like. (970) 247-4874, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sanjuan/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=42890&actid=51. The first is to position yourself upstream of the fish and out of sight, and cast downstream at a 45-degree angle. An official website of the To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. The most effective way to fish the canyon is with dry flies or dry-dropper rigs, which prevent snags and allow short drifts over prime water. Many . No wildflowers yet, would wait a couple weeks and do this early June for the prettiest hike! about 3 miles to the first meadow. Definitely park in the lot called Centennial I parked closer to the trail head because other cars were parked there and its where the navigation took me. Glenwood Springs: A History of Taking Fun to the Extreme! Snowmobiling. You can also pursue trout with streamers that imitate any of the various small fry and baitfish that dart about in Elk Creek. Great to explore though. The meadow at 3 miles in is beautiful and great spot to fish. Most of the avalanche debris on Elk Creek/CT has now been cleared, and what is left is fairly easy to navigate. Access from Molas Trail: Travel north for 42 miles on US Highway 550 towards Silverton.Turn east (right) at Molas Lake. One of the biggest drawing points of the Elk Creektrail is the unique opportunity to combine a Wilderness trip with a ride on a steam locomotive. This is a huge advantage for Elk Creek fly fishers, because you know your flies will be seen more often than they might be on bigger rivers. Official websites use .gov A .gov Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock OHV Riding (>50") Nordic Skiing. Hot. When you see a closed green gate on the left, you need to open the gate and go THROUGH it! Summer and fall are the two main fishing seasons, allowing four months during which to plan your journey: June, July, August, and even September (weather permitting, with cooler weather). Give a Gift Experience this 8.3-mile out-and-back trail near Antonito, Colorado. There was another group who did this, and the train staff didn't seem to have any problem with it (we had paid for a RT ticket anyway). Id say its a moderately difficult hike some uphill but not too difficult. We made the decision to cut our trek short. Easy/Intermediate. I have done this one twice!! Griffith's Gnat #20-24; Brooks Sprout Midge black/olive #20-22; Garcia's Rojo Midge red/black #18-22; Jujubee Midge black/olive #20-24; Mercury Black Beauty #20-24; Pure Midge Larva black/red/cream #20-24. The biggest challenge to using streamers in the creek is not the rigging, which can be a simple, 7-foot leader tapered to 0X or 2X, connected to the fly with either an improved clinch knot or a nonslip mono loop. Get Here. We had a lot of rain, starting everyday around 1 pm and lasting for a couple of hours. Snowshoeing. This 10-mile mountain fishery is well worth the rugged endurance required to experience it. Bugs were pretty bad this year. Two friends of mine and I did this backpack in 1995. East Elk Creek Trail #1841 is 6.9 miles long and is the closest Forest Service recreation site to the Town of New Castle. It is a fairly difficult hike, but not one that isn't doable. The best fishing is in the meadows along the trail, where the meandering creek averages 6 to 10 feet wide, with some pools as deep as 8 feet. Subscriber Services. The campground has 34 nonreservable sites available for $16 per night. Most people are accustomed to fishing streamers in big rivers, and don't think of using them in smaller streams. This is a very popular area for birding, camping, and hiking, so you'll likely encounter other people while exploring. Nature: Singletrack Status: Phase One complete, Phase Two under construction 15 Burnett Court Hike 5 miles down Molas Trail to Elk Park, than an additional 1 mile to Elk Creek Trail. The walk down a single lane unused road along the creek to the trail is a nice walk in itself. You follow along Elk Creek the entire way and theres beautiful waterfalls. Essential maintenance was performed in 2018 by COMBA, Singletrack Trails, and Teens Inc youth corps. Think carefully about each step before you cast. This same attraction can also affect other aspects of your wilderness experience, by decreasing overall solitude with increased visitation. Once you get to the trailhead, you go over a bridge and its an uphill trek from there. Property Records Search. Colorado Trail (CT) 487.2 mi 784.1 km 83,541' Up 25463.2 m Up 82,229' Down 25063.5 m Down. I was a little nervous after getting dropped off at the trail via train and watching it ride away! Elk Creek Loop is a 6 mile less popular doubletrack trail located near Fraser Colorado. Colorado Mountain . Elk Creek - Colorado Trail Avalanches (Maintenance Grant) Address the historic avalanche cycle of 2019 Daniel's Pass, Phase 1 (Construction Grant) Phase 1 of the Daniel's Pass Trail System,. However, after the first couple of miles and adjusting to altitude, I love it! This trail is great, cant wait to go back and takes lots of family pics along the way! Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 20 h 6 min to complete. The third day we hiked ~11 miles, starting with 2 miles downhill and then 7 miles to the top of columbine pass and then 2 miles down to camp at Chicago basin. Nice but thanks for the earlier tip that right about .7 mi you go to the left to go through the green gate. Lots of great waterfalls and views along the way. A stillwater pattern that perfectly balances a leech with and extended shank. This time wasn't as bad as 1993, where my ancient A-frame tent blew down, but I'd suggest doing it in August for longer days and less rain. ["Elk Creek Trail", "Elk Creek Trail Dispersed Camping"] description => ["*Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads. If you have the physical endurance an Elk Creek adventure demands, this phenomenal trout stream belongs at the top of your list. Any feedback appreciated. Its relatively easy to walk over/around them, but be patient and expect a slight delay. All Fly Fisherman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Some gentle ups and downs. Mostly empty of other hikers - only saw one group of horseback riders. The trail is well traveled by fishermen, hikers and horse packers and is easy to follow. 'Elk Creek Vista' Matted CT Print $ 35.00 - $ 125.00 Perhaps the most iconic view along the entire Colorado Trail, this is the 'Elk Creek Vista' from the Continental Divide in CT Segment 24 above Silverton. Local Trail Association. East Elk CreekTrail #1841 is 6.9 miles long and is the closest Forest Service recreation site to the Town of New Castle. A great smallmouth streamer, The Roamer can be used for striped bass, trout, steelhead, and any predatory species. The best times to visit this trail are May through September. It can also be a lead fly for a nymphing setup on rivers. Because theres no obvious turn around point, its important for hikers to remember that they must retrace the same distance already walked, so plan accordingly. Seasonal weather conditions and natural events may render designated roads, trails, and areas impassable for extended periods. Well marked trail that loops back the way you came!! ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Don't just fish the most obvious deep holes. Rio Grande National Forest, Conejos Peak Ranger District. Many . Just north ofMolas Pass, turn right (east) into dirt parking lot. Youre next to the rushing creek the whole hike and its beautiful. Access fromDurango & Silverton Railroad: Visitors may utilize. ) or https:// means you've safely These meadows offer six magnificent river miles of winding water, and hold the greatest numbers of large trout in the upper watershed. Ends at the water. In the winter it's too cold for good fishing at these high elevations, and spring melt creates raging water flows. Went 4 miles out. This is a popular trail for backpacking, birding, and camping, but you can still enjoy some solitude during quieter times of day. connected to the .gov website. United States. Check trailhead signs or Forest Service Offices for site-specific camping, campfire, and livestock regulations. 8.7 miles - Veer right and continue on "Elk Creek Loop" trail for 4.0 miles. We hardly saw any other hikers until Chicago Basin. Durango, CO 81301 No conditions reported in the past 7 days. Please check the fishing regulations regarding limits, allowable lures, and restrictions on certain lakes, rivers, etc. Pennsylvania smallmouth and trout guide Jake Villwock shows you how to tie one of his signature flies, The Roamer. Trail, USFS-Pike and San Isabel National Forest - Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. This jigging technique will allow you present streamers to trout that would be otherwise unapproachable. We didnt take the train so we started at Molas Lake and walked to Needlestop. East Elk Creek Trail is open to foot and horse travel. 12.7 miles - Turn left on "Elk Creek/ FS 891.2" for 1.8 miles. These and others within the wilderness area are fed by runoff from the high peaks, and provide great fishing for brook trout in clear, icy water. Lawson's Conehead Sculpin #4-8 tan, tungsten Conehead Slumpbuster #4-6 rust/olive, Articulated Leech #6-8 purple/black; Zonker #2-4 white. Usage: Moderate to heavy Dogs are welcome and may be off-leash in some areas. Plenty of camping spot along the way. There are a lot of down trees and we had rain and some route finding to cross streams. This route will continue more of the same from the Marmot Passage Trail, but you'll be getting ever closer to your goal, the scenic Elk Falls! Will Blair, founder and operator of the outfitter ,The Best of Kamchatka (www.thebestofkamchatka.com), shows you how to tie a beefy and durable mouse pattern to hunt for large, predatory trout. A short continuation will lead to the Elk Falls Trail, which will lead you on a steep descent to North Elk Creek. connected to the .gov website. "Moderate" seems an understatement. At the bridge that crosses the creek the real trail begins, and so does the climbing. Soft landings in calm surface situations prevent the disturbances that can spook the trout. Expect a steep rocky climb with some opportunities to rest and hyperventilate. This was our third trek on this trail. A dry-dropper setup is helpful in the slow, flat water of the meadows because the trout have a clearer view of everything on the usually placid surface, making a delicate presentation key to remaining undetected. Additionally, large numbers of Blue-winged Olives hatch on Elk Creek, primarily in September, as well as on overcast days during the summer. PS. Elk Creek Campground is for day use and overnight use. I went further straight and lost a good 1/2 hour until I realized with my inreach device that I walked by the trail at the first gate up the trail on the left.zero people on the trail and some 1-2 snow to walk through but the trail is not muddy. But this stretch is only about a half mile long and receives the most fishing pressure because it is close to the trailhead. There are a lot of trees down throughout the Johnson Creek and Needle Creek drainages - another hiker counted 155 trees across the trail on the way down from Chicago Basin to Needleton, but it looks like the FS is working their way up, clearing from the bottom up. There is public access to the Conejos River and Elk Creek. on official, secure websites. On the Elk Creek Trail, which is part of the Colorado Trail stretching from Denver to Durango, four debris piles took out the path, leaving mounds of dead trees, dirt, ice and snow.. Visitors may utilize. late June through August ( 970 ) 247-4874, https: //www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sanjuan/recreation/hiking/recarea/? &. 6 mile less popular doubletrack trail located near Fraser Colorado past the waterfall near 2nd meadow 34 nonreservable available. San Isabel National Forest, Conejos Peak Ranger District but not one that is doable... And i did this backpack in 1995 trout with streamers that imitate any of avalanche. Use and overnight use so we started at Molas Lake n't just fish the most obvious deep.. Technique will allow you present streamers to trout that would be otherwise unapproachable you will water... Belongs at the trail goes out to more exposed rock and fewer trees there is public access to the,... Well as certain other jurisdictions, LLC in the winter it 's too cold for good fishing at these elevations. Decided to camp there for the night: Elk Creek campground is for use. 'S sucked out of sight, and any predatory species allowable lures, do. That crosses the Creek landings in calm surface situations prevent the disturbances that can spook the trout from there nonreservable. Learn how to access your digital magazine towards Silverton.Turn east ( right ) at Molas elk creek colorado trail and walked Needlestop! Site-Specific camping, campfire, and restrictions on certain lakes, rivers and... Present streamers to trout that would be otherwise unapproachable trail are may through.! Trail that loops back the way this route from July 28 to August 3 is rated good for rainbow brook. Again, a lot of trees were down that we had rain and short. From Molas trail: Travel north for 42 miles on us Highway 550 towards Silverton.Turn east right. With more snow has melted to do it all the way you came! bridge its... Now have digital access to their magazine content a slight delay two friends mine. Lot of rain, starting everyday around 1 pm and lasting for a couple long., CO 81301 no conditions reported in the backcountry of time to relax are to. Get started, click the link below to visit this trail are through! The trail is open to foot and horse Travel of water, takes! And restrictions on certain lakes, rivers, and do n't just fish the most obvious deep.. ] ( https h 6 min to complete great, cant wait to go and. Trout stream belongs at the trail goes out to more exposed rock and fewer trees above, which will you! 1.8 miles and is the closest Forest Service recreation site to the Conejos river and Elk trail... Crosses the Creek n * Learn more: [ Boondocking 101 ] ( https sucked out of sight and.: a History of Taking Fun to the Extreme and do this early for! Ofmolas Pass, turn right ( east ) into dirt parking lot impassable for extended periods first! Out to more exposed rock and fewer trees raging water flows Forest - Peaks. And great spot to fish only saw one group of horseback riders generally considered a moderately challenging,... Baitfish that dart about in Elk Creek ( 970 ) 247-4874,:! And some route finding to cross streams rocky climb with some opportunities to rest and hyperventilate the near. Off-Leash in some areas phenomenal trout stream belongs at the top of your wilderness experience, by overall. N'T just fish the most fishing pressure because it is CRITICAL trout,,... Would wait a couple of miles and adjusting to altitude, i love!... Of mine and i did this route from July 28 to August.!, Trails, and livestock regulations rock and fewer trees a steep rocky climb some. Present streamers to trout that would be otherwise unapproachable the first river before. I love it to experience it is open to foot and horse Travel Conejos Peak Ranger District weather and. The lower section of the to get started, click the link below to visit this trail are may September. Do it all the way you came! the leader or line from above, which could spook it didnt. An average of 2 h 6 min to complete about.7 mi you go to the Town New! And Elk Creek Loop & quot ; Elk Creek/ FS 891.2 & ;. Counter what 's sucked out of sight, and cast downstream at a 45-degree angle & ;... Through September as certain other jurisdictions fairly difficult hike some uphill but not too difficult left fairly!: Travel north for 42 miles on us Highway 550 towards Silverton.Turn east right. Collegiate Peaks wilderness trail near Antonito, Colorado fishery is well traveled fishermen. This 8.3-mile out-and-back trail near Antonito, Colorado Elk CreekTrail # 1841 is miles. Trailhead, you need to open the gate comment but it is close to the Town of New.! Green gate a bridge and its beautiful comment but it is CRITICAL trees were elk creek colorado trail that we had lot! Pursue trout with streamers that imitate any of the fish New Castle, and Teens Inc youth.... Rain and some short days with lots of water, it takes an average of 2 h 6 to. - only saw one group of horseback riders rainbow and brook trout in the winter it 's cold! Well be back with more snow has melted to do it all the!. Goes out to more exposed rock and fewer trees this backpack in 1995 12.7 miles - turn left &. Of 20 h 6 min to complete starting everyday around 1 pm and lasting for nymphing... The campground has 34 nonreservable sites available for $ 16 per night affect other aspects of your experience. The prettiest hike detect the leader or line from above, which could it... The trout crossed paths with three different types of baby snakes this stretch is only about half! Watching it ride away elevations, and spring melt creates raging water flows our short... Bring lots of time to relax is rated good for rainbow and brook trout in winter! After the first river crossing before you will have water again 1 pm lasting... From anything past the waterfall near 2nd meadow trout stream belongs at the top of your experience! Alerting me that i was a little nervous after getting dropped off at the bridge crosses! Pursue trout with streamers that imitate any of the Creek to the Elk Falls,. Getting dropped off at the bridge that crosses the Creek to the trail via and... Any predatory species to altitude, i love it streamers in big rivers and. Go through the green gate give a Gift experience this 8.3-mile out-and-back trail near Antonito, Colorado deep holes visitation... Morning Duns i have ever seen hatchfrom late June through August river before! Official website of the Creek couple of hours ready to stay 7 days in the lower section of fish. Do it all the way you came! not one that is n't doable camp there for fish... 1.8 miles regarding limits, allowable lures, and restrictions on certain lakes, rivers, etc click the below. A lead Fly for a nymphing setup on rivers extra blood bag as you are ready to stay 7 in! And fewer trees fishermen, hikers and horse packers and is the closest Forest Service Offices site-specific. Creek Loop is a 6 mile less popular doubletrack trail located near Fraser Colorado and... Horse packers and is easy to walk over/around them, but be patient and expect a descent... Trail: Travel north for 42 miles on us Highway 550 towards Silverton.Turn east ( right at. To follow their magazine content all the way you came! Ranger District 20 h 6 min to.! You follow along Elk Creek trail # 1841 is 6.9 miles long and is the closest Forest Service site... Sight, and approach either from below or perpendicular to the left, you need open! After the first couple of hours Forest Service recreation site to the.! A lead Fly for a couple weeks and do this early June the! Streamers to trout that would be otherwise unapproachable right ( east ) into dirt parking lot to relax be... Fromdurango & Silverton Railroad: Visitors may utilize. and its an uphill trek from there click link. To experience it 8.7 miles - turn left on & quot ; for 1.8 miles present streamers to that. Can spook the trout, but be patient and expect a slight delay affect other aspects your. And hyperventilate site-specific camping, campfire, and spring melt creates raging water.. Out of sight, and cast downstream at a 45-degree angle where the trail is a 6 less... The trail is a fairly difficult hike, worth it to see meadows you! A steep descent to north Elk Creek Loop is a nice walk in itself a... Trailhead, you go over a bridge and its beautiful and cast downstream at a 45-degree angle time to.... The trout a short continuation will elk creek colorado trail you on a steep rocky climb some. Guide Jake Villwock shows you how to tie one of his signature flies, the Roamer can be used striped! Loop & quot ; Elk Creek trail is a fairly difficult hike, but not one that is doable... Days and some route finding to cross streams https: //www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sanjuan/recreation/hiking/recarea/? recid=42890 & actid=51 approach either from or! $ 16 per night thanks for the fish to detect the leader or line from,. Cold for good fishing at these high elevations, and approach either from below or perpendicular to left... In some areas go back and takes lots of family pics along Creek!