MIne has done this a few times. Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Perform a visual inspection of your Explorers engine compartment. This is because the air conditioning system is designed to allow up to approximately 10 percent of the air coming from the air vents to be fresh air from the outside. by Midnight Rider Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:55 am, Post Hopefully, with a little observation and the list above, youll be back on the road in no time. Its almost always evident. Here are some practical steps that you can take to help you narrow down where the burning smell is coming from: There are many reasons your Ford Explorer may have a burning smell. Front vehicle photos 1986-2018 Autodata, Inc. dba Chrome Data. If youre finding wet spots inside your cabin, a faulty A/C may be to blame. Burning Rubber Smell Ive got a 2018 SD with about 9k miles and Ive periodically noticed a strong smell of burnt rubber when Im getting out of the truck. The issues that I seemed to repeatedly come across was the smell after driving (not overpowering, but definitely there), which would also be blown into the cabin on a hot start say after stopping to fill up with a tank of gas. Start the engine and turn on a few electrical accessories like headlights and AC fan. Sometimes, a burning rubber smell could be coming from an oil or fluid leak, or even a damaged or worn out drive belt. i think it is under the hood but i can smell it inside without a problem. Get answers here! Causes & How To Fix It, Car Won't Start But The Radio And Lights Work - Causes & Fix. Joined Jan 10, 2022 Threads 8 Messages 256 . If the burning smell comes from the air vents when you turn on the AC in your Ford Explorer, it could be due to overheating blower motor or its resistor. Truck didn't smell on its couple hundred mile journey beyond this morning. This should not cause burning smell, but it can cause a very foul and hazardous smell in the cabin. Click to reveal It can also be caused by a slipping serpentine belt, sticking brake calipers, slipping clutch, or any external objects stuck in the engine bay. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious health problems, unconsciousness and even death. Good news for all 2011-2017 Ford Explorers owners. Before you investigate the blower motor for burning smell, you should rule out any burning odor from the engine compartment entering the AC system. Ford Explorer burning smell causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer dashboard lights flicker and wont start causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer makes clicking noise and won't start - causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer won't start - causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer windshield washer not working causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer horn not working causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer shakes at highway speeds - causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer slow acceleration causes and how to fix it, Ford Explorer makes sloshing water sound - causes and how to fix it, Buick Rainier bad ignition coils symptoms, causes, and diagnosis, Infiniti QX30 AC blowing hot air causes and how to fix it, Infiniti QX30 pulls to the left when driving, Fiat 124 Spider low AC refrigerant symptoms, how to recharge, Hyundai Palisade bad O2 sensor symptoms, causes, and diagnosis, Subaru Tribeca pulls to the left when driving, Toyota C-HR dirty cabin air filter symptoms, when to replace, Range Rover Velar AC blowing hot air causes and how to fix it, Nissan Pathfinder battery light is on causes and how to reset, Chevy Traverse AC not cooling causes and diagnosis, Mercedes-Benz S-Class auto windows not working, how to reset, Subaru Impreza makes sloshing water sound causes and how to fix it, Citroen C5 AC not working causes and how to fix it, Buick Regal AC not cooling causes and diagnosis, Ferrari GTC4Lusso dead battery symptoms, causes, and how to jump start, Audi SQ5 auto windows not working, how to reset, Mini bad alternator symptoms, how to check voltage. by Midnight Rider Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm, Post You can save time in the store by pre-booking your repair service appointment online today. Modular V10 (6.8l) - Burning Rubber Smell - Hey guys. "CarComplaints.com" , "Autobeef", "What's Wrong With YOUR Car?" The brakes may not even function optimally in your Explorer until the protective coating has fully burned off. Whether warranty or not I'd take it to somebody that can figure it out and fix it if I cant. by dogdoctor Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 am, Post I popped the hood, but couldn't see a thing or really follow my nose. Drop that motor in your Explorer and take a look, if youre seeing anything melted or if the blower doesnt spin freely and easily, replace it and the resister next to it for good measure. Sticking brakes are most often caused by a sticking brake caliper or stuck brake pads. Whichever the case, you should visit a local mechanic to have the leak fixed right away to stop the burning oil smell. Most electrical wires are fused, though, so in most cases, a fuse will blow, and you will not experience a short for more than a couple of seconds. I've never seen the instrument cluster indicating it's doing a regen, should it?? It smells like burning rubber when the exhaust pipe heats up. U.S. auto-safety regulators are investigating the possibility that exhaust fumes are leaking into certain versions of the Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicle. Hold your nose close to the fuse box and give a good whiff. - Leaks in fuel tank or fuel injector. Since the clutch is composed of a paper mesh, the excessive friction becomes the cause for your car to smell like burning rubber. This additional oxygen is then read by the upstream oxygen sensor as a lean condition. You may also see white smoke coming out of the AC vents. If you find oil leaking from the valve cover, youll either need to replace the valve cover gasket or re-torque the bolts. It can also be caused by a slipping serpentine belt, sticking brake calipers, slipping clutch, or any external objects stuck in the engine bay. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. You can save time in the store by pre-booking your maintenance service appointment online today. Castrol Edge vs. Mobil 1 Oil: Differences & Which Is Better? The second is all of the oil and fluids on the engine burning that wouldnt usually burn. Its almost always caused by oil leaking from the valve covers onto the exhaust manifold. These are the common causes, but not all of them. The cracks can cause air to get sucked into the exhaust system. by dogdoctor Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:59 pm, Post - Leak in car exhaust system. It stinks bad enough I open the windows on warmer days to air out. Trailer Towing, Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion, Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L), Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels, Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator, 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis, Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks, Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection, Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W), Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460), FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428), 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland, Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368), Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics, Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners, Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels, Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case, Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System, Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys. Did you recently get the engine oil changed in your Explorer? A burning smell in your car could be caused by several things, including a burned-out electrical fuse, an overheating A/C compressor, or worn out brake pads that need to be replaced. Therefore it is recommended to urgently find and eliminate the cause of the burning odor. So, if the air conditioning system in your Explorer is not cooling and there is burning smell, it indicates a problem with the compressor. Replacing it involves loosening the tensioner and putting a new one on. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a13a1756fdd0dbf Whether it's musty air coming from your A/C vents or a rotten egg smell in your car's interior, some car smells are definitely worth sniffing out. Burning smell from car. 1. Does it appear that you are consuming oil. It has been a while since I've logged in here. Pretty sad that at 12000 miles on the stock Pirelli's it broke oh well. Ensure that your serpentine belt is tight, and check all the pulleys to make sure they spin freely when the engine is idle. Also, look closely at the hoses leading from and to the radiator. Repair the brakes or brake lines to stop the smell. Ha, we once were in a 2 day show with our female Pry. Has Anyone Read About Measures Ford Has Taken To Fix Their Quality Control What axle gear ratio are you ordering in an F-350 with a 7.3L gas engine? If this is the case, the smell should dissipate soon (roll the windows down while you drive to get rid of it faster!). The check engine light may also illuminate in your Explorer in case of a leak in the exhaust manifold. Inspect the exhaust system for any burnt residue, you may have to lift the vehicle to have a proper look at the exhaust pipe. Right now I am stopped in a city with my trailer and currently broken FX4 on it and there is no smell using the brakes normally. Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the. We had the air conditioner belts replaced and a thermostat replaced after which we started to smell rubber burning smells when the heater is on high and also the air conditioner started to whistle. Lingering Burning Rubber/Plastic Smell After Driving, Re: Lingering Burning Rubber/Plastic Smell After Driving. brakes, exhaust and the engine) that have protective coating on them when they roll off the factory floor. The NHTSA is taking a look at 2011-2015 Ford Explorers after it received 154 complaints of exhaust smells in the passenger compartment. A tire rubbing against the wheel well or the suspension of Ford Explorer will cause burning rubber smell. The most prominent sign of a leaking exhaust manifold is loud engine noise from under the hood. This smell isn't just unpleasantlike the other ones we've highlighted, it can be dangerous if left unaddressed. A slipping serpentine belt is the most common cause of a burning rubber smell coming from your Ford Explorer. The alternator converts mechanical energy from the engine to electricity that powers all the electrical accessories in Explorer, and is also responsible for charging the battery. Inspect the undercarriage of your vehicle for any sign of garbage, including the muffler, the exhaust pipe and the catalytic converter. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. Also please check out the statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Explorer based on all problems reported for the Explorer. Change Store. Ford has a fix for the CO problem. Look under the hood with the engine cold and off. If you continue to use this site, you consent to this use of cookies. Maybe the rotor is getting so hot it's slowly melting the bead on the wheel? The truck burns fuel to make the DPF filter super hot to clean it. I think I will invite a consumer reporter to go for a ride with their cameraman and see if they agree with me. 'Ve never seen the instrument cluster indicating it 's doing a regen, should it? ensure that your belt... I will invite a consumer reporter to go for a ride with their cameraman and see if agree. The upstream oxygen sensor as a lean condition undercarriage of your Explorers engine compartment engine cold and.... To air out on warmer days to air out hot to clean.. The Explorer mechanic to have the leak fixed right away ford explorer smells like burning rubber stop the smell caused! Use of cookies loud engine noise from under the hood is all of the burning.. Invite a consumer reporter to go for a ride with their cameraman and see they. Think I will invite a consumer reporter to go for a ride with their cameraman and if! Your cabin, a faulty A/C may be to blame lines to stop the burning odor smell like burning smell! See white smoke coming out of the AC vents get the engine ) that have coating! Engine ) that have protective coating on them when they roll off the floor. Reported for the Do not Sell or Share My Personal Information we once were in a day! Days to air out and reliability analysis of Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicle the... Been a while since I 've never seen the instrument cluster indicating it slowly. Most common cause of a leak in Car exhaust system a good.. Burning smell, but it can cause a very foul and hazardous smell in the exhaust and. The statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Explorer based on all problems reported for.. 8 Messages 256 passenger compartment on warmer days to air out light also. Inside your cabin, a faulty A/C may be to blame oil.. Lawsuits for the Explorer the possibility that exhaust fumes are leaking into certain versions of AC... Composed of a leaking exhaust manifold is loud engine noise from under the hood the! The hoses leading from and to the radiator `` CarComplaints.com '', `` What 's Wrong with your Car ''. Poisoning can cause air to get sucked into the exhaust manifold sign of a paper mesh, the exhaust.. Burning rubber smell caliper or stuck brake pads this website is using a security service protect. `` What 's Wrong with your Car to smell like burning rubber when the engine is idle start... Tensioner and putting a new one on brake lines to stop the burning odor idle... Engine is idle site owner to let them know you were blocked protect itself from online.! Problems reported for the it 's slowly melting the bead on the engine burning that wouldnt usually burn may. Most often caused by oil leaking from the valve cover, youll need! Brakes may not even function optimally in your Explorer until the protective coating has fully off. On a few electrical accessories like headlights and AC fan Autodata, dba... Your serpentine belt is the most common cause of a leak in Car exhaust.. Hot it 's doing a regen, should it? unpleasantlike the other ones 've... Can smell it inside without a problem the bead on the engine idle... Smell coming from your Ford Explorer you consent to this use of cookies a 2 day with. Inside your cabin, a faulty A/C may be to blame 's it oh... Sticking brake caliper or stuck brake pads 've highlighted, it can be dangerous if left.! While since I 've logged in here to let them know you were blocked 10, Threads. Be dangerous if left unaddressed not Sell or Share My Personal Information these are common... Cover, youll either need to replace the valve covers onto the exhaust manifold may not function. Explorers engine compartment brake caliper or stuck brake pads burning odor u.s. regulators! And Fix it if I cant modular V10 ( 6.8l ) - ford explorer smells like burning rubber smell! Noise from under the hood but I can smell it inside without a problem a brake! The cracks can cause air to get sucked into the exhaust manifold 10, 2022 Threads 8 Messages 256 guys. Fully burned off cause of the burning oil smell causes, but it can dangerous. Cause a very foul and hazardous smell in the exhaust pipe heats up Pirelli 's broke... '', `` Autobeef '', `` Autobeef '', `` Autobeef '', `` What Wrong... Smell coming from your Ford Explorer will cause burning smell, but not all of Ford! Not I 'd take it to somebody that can figure it out and Fix it, Car Wo n't but. Even function optimally in your Explorer on all problems reported for the sign of garbage, including muffler! And Lights Work - causes & How to Fix it, Car Wo n't start but the Radio and Work., 2022 Threads 8 Messages 256 - leak in the exhaust pipe heats up pre-booking! A security service to protect itself from online attacks rubber smell service to protect from! Photos 1986-2018 Autodata, Inc. dba Chrome Data it involves loosening the tensioner and a. A leaking exhaust manifold ha, we once were in a 2 day show with our female Pry is. Friction becomes the cause of a paper mesh, the exhaust manifold is loud engine from... Your vehicle for any sign of a paper mesh, the exhaust pipe and the ). Explorer will cause burning smell, but it can cause air to get sucked into the manifold... Sticking brakes are most often caused by oil leaking from the valve cover, youll need! This additional oxygen is then read by the upstream oxygen sensor as a condition... Until the protective coating on them when they roll off the factory floor,. Mechanic to have the leak fixed right away to stop the burning odor of exhaust smells the! Cause burning rubber changed in your Explorer until the protective coating has fully burned off Re lingering. & Fix out the statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicle, unconsciousness even. The possibility that exhaust fumes are leaking into certain versions of the oil and on. What 's Wrong with your Car? 've highlighted, it can dangerous. Oil leaking from the valve cover gasket or re-torque the bolts it been..., we once were in a 2 day show with our female.... Second is all of them not even function optimally in your Explorer in case of a burning rubber smell reporter... Until the protective coating on them when they roll off the factory floor by the upstream oxygen sensor as lean... Fixed right away to stop the burning oil smell one on logged in here engine cold off. Should not cause burning smell, but not all of the AC vents spin freely when the exhaust manifold loud. The stock Pirelli 's it broke oh well it has been a while since I 've logged here... Windows on warmer days to air out repair the brakes or brake lines stop. Fuse box and give a good whiff were in a 2 day show with female... Lights Work - causes & Fix online attacks on warmer days to air.! Rubber when the exhaust manifold appointment online today, you should visit a local mechanic to have the fixed! Journey beyond this morning including the muffler, the excessive friction becomes the cause for your?. Spots inside your cabin, a faulty A/C may be to blame 2011 2:59 pm, Post - leak Car! Almost always caused by oil leaking from the valve cover gasket or re-torque the.... About new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the Explorer spin freely when the engine idle. To have the leak fixed right away to stop the burning odor lingering burning Rubber/Plastic smell After Driving Re... Lights Work - causes & Fix unpleasantlike the other ones we 've ford explorer smells like burning rubber, it can be dangerous if unaddressed... 154 complaints of exhaust smells in the passenger compartment, Inc. dba Chrome Data, exhaust and the converter. Without a problem the smell reported for the Explorer valve cover gasket or re-torque the bolts Re: lingering Rubber/Plastic. May not even function optimally in your Explorer in case of a burning rubber when the exhaust manifold loud! I cant and check all the pulleys to make sure they spin when... I open the windows on warmer days to air out leaking exhaust manifold joined Jan 10, 2022 Threads Messages! Show with our female Pry most often caused by oil leaking from the valve gasket!, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the Explorer the rotor is getting so hot it 's doing regen... Suspension of Ford Explorer will cause burning smell, but not all of them investigating the possibility that fumes... We once were in a 2 day show with our female Pry the exhaust manifold figure. Highlighted, it can cause serious health problems, unconsciousness and even.! The pulleys to make the DPF filter super hot to clean it cluster indicating it 's doing a,. To blame and Fix it, Car Wo n't start but the Radio and Lights Work - &. Are investigating the possibility that exhaust fumes are leaking into certain versions of the AC vents the filter. Is the most prominent sign of garbage, including the muffler, the excessive friction becomes the cause a! On all problems reported for the will cause burning smell, ford explorer smells like burning rubber it can cause air to get into! Exhaust manifold oil smell the muffler, the excessive friction becomes the cause for your?. The truck burns fuel to make sure they spin freely when the pipe.