Our testers love the dual-zippered lid pockets on the Baltoro 65; it was easily our favorite lid design. And the Blaze is just a few ounces heavier and more tricked out, super comfortable, and has the best weight-carrying capacity of every pack Ive mentioned. Different people have different styles of packing needs. BUY IT NOWYou can support my work on this blog, at no cost to you, by clicking any of these affiliate links to purchase a mens Paragon 68, 58, or 48, at moosejaw.com orbackcountry.com, or a womens Maven 65, 55, or 45 atbackcountry.comormoosejaw.com. This pack also has no top lid, but we still found ample storage for on-the-go items. I think you should contemplate whether youre going to regularly push the weight capacity of these packs or remain within their range, and after that, choose the design you prefer. A cloth tape measure is the best thing to use for measuring both of these numbers. The Gregory Focal has cushy foam padding on the shoulder straps that is firm, yet supportive, providing exceptional comfort. I dont know if you mean young girls or teenage girls, but if you want a pack for young girls, see my links (below the Osprey Exos and Eja review, above) to my reviews of the Gregory Wander 70 (which also fits many smaller women well) and the Osprey Ace packs. By the way, I now carry my camera equipment and small incidentals (like a map and snacks) in a Ribz Front Pack, which is much less obtrusive: https://thebigoutside.com/gear-review-update-ribz-front-pack/. The Gregory Baltoro 65 pack offers plenty of space in a feature-rich silhouette that's optimized for comfortable carrying. Gregory Zulu 65: $230: 3 lb. No "sponsored" content. The tensioned, ventilated back panel allows air movement across your sweaty back. Granite Gear Perimeter 50$250, 50L/3,050 c.i., 3 lbs. Thanks for the article. When the weather does turn stormy, you can pull out the included pack cover to shelter your gear, but if the forecast is clear, you can leave it at home to save some weight. Lighter Weight but Still a Heavy Hauler. When choosing a pack, I always tell people to find a few options that look good and try them on. I am just starting to get into backpacking and am looking for a pack that can function in a variety of trips, from a weekend to 5 days. For an extended wilderness hike requiring a week or more of food, parents carrying food and gear for young kids, trip leaders and others, the Mystery Ranch Sphinx 60 ranks among the very best big packs for comfort, access, and features. Our favorite pack, the Granite Gear Blaze 60, offers outstanding performance at an average price. Start with my 5 Expert Tips For Buying the Right Backpacking Pack. See also my picks for The Best Ultralight Backpacks.. Someone who is just starting to get into backpacking. Its tough Dyneema Composite Fabrics is fully waterproof. As a result, we were able to find items more quickly than we could with a more traditional full-length pocket. When Adam isn't thru-hiking with his family, you can find him trail running, rock climbing, planning his next trip, or scouting the next place to call home. Next page. GearLab is commited to honest, objective, reviews. . So, no, I dont place a canister in the bottom of a pack. The Aether 65 comes with a raincover that is large enough to easily cover the entire pack, even with a sleeping pad strapped to the bottom. The sizable zippered lid pockets of the Osprey Atmos 65 AG are next level. It's an impressive pack in both weight and weight capacity. He has guided more than 1,000 clients and helped them select and fit packs for their adventures. Gregory Gregory 65 Liters Zulu FreeFloat Daypack The waist belt and shoulder straps are crucial factors to consider when picking a backpack. Just real, honest, side-by-side testing. And, to assure complete independence, we buy all the products we test ourselves. Whether you're searching for your first pack or upgrading from an old model, it's essential to consider the types of activities you plan to use it for. Our Editors independently research, test, and rate the best products. 15.7 oz. Backpacking backpacks can be far more comfortable to use than a traditional top-rated suitcase or duffel bag in rough terrain or areas with few paved roads. United States. Bear canisters are definitely tough to fit conveniently in packs. Please turn it on so that you can experience the full capabilities of this site. For folks who love to stay super organized, the Gregory Zulu 55 and Baltoro 65 offer excellent gear access and the ability to get to your items quickly without having to remove anything. The forward-facing pocket makes your water bottle very easy to remove. Thanks for doing that. Some buckles on this pack are small and hard to operate with gloves. Free Float suspension with low profile Open Air ventilation, moisture wicking mesh and customizable torso length. Sign Up for Email and get access to exclusive offers & the latest updates! This pack's rock-solid suspension and plush padding make heavier loads feel manageable. Read the SectionHiker Circuit Backpack Review. Gregorys attention to comfort in its ultralight backpack is evident in the aluminum perimeter wire frame with a fiberglass cross-stay and an HDPE framesheet that lend the pack substantial rigidity, distributing most of the load across the hips. The Baltoro/Deva collection is designed with a Response A3 The Baltoro/Deva collection is designed with a Response A3 suspension. . Weighing well under five pounds, theyre a great choice for backpackers who usually carry moderate to heavy loads. Read my complete review of the Mystery Ranch Sphinx 60. And, for folks that like a lot of pack access and who might use this model for traveling, there is a large upside-down U-shaped opening that allows access to nearly all of the contents. Purchasing gear through my affiliate links supports my work on this blog. 11.4 oz. Which one of the sub 3lb bags would you say carries heavy loads better? Trail access water bottle holder (tucks away when not using it), Organization: double barrel top pocket, 3 entry points, WeatherShield hipbelt pocket, 9 exterior pockets Dynamic suspension, rotating hipbelt and harness, Internal hydration sleeve and SpeedClip attachment, Organization: 3 entry points including full-length side zip, Front oversized mesh pocket for all liter sizes, Oversized hipbelt pockets (store phones, snacks etc. Over the last decade, many hikers have made a concerted effort to carry less weight than their predecessors. Although this pack is incredibly light, it comfortably carries a hefty load for long stretches between resupplies. BUY IT NOW You can support my work on this blog, at no cost to you, by clicking either of these affiliate links to purchase a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider backpack at backcountry.com or hyperlitemountaingear.com or a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Southwest backpack at backcountry.com or hyperlitemountaingear.com. This has just about every feature you could ask for and nothing you don't need. Read my complete review of the Osprey Exos 58 and Eja 58. Hi Michael- really great article and I especially appreciate the decision matrix and testing trip reports! Consisting of a panel of lightweight, tensioned mesh extending from the top of the back panel to the hipbelt, it fully wraps around your back and hips while delivering ample air movement. Osprey Ariel Plus 70 Pack - Women's. (3) $410.00. The Baltoro 65's suspension was comfortable all day. If its going to be more like around 35-40 pounds, but occasionally a bit more, Id choose the Granite Gear Blaze 60. Measure the circumference of your body over your hip bones, where a hip belt should rest. Though this isn't a high-tech, revolutionary pack, part of its appeal is its simplistic yet functional design. We took 16 different models Ready to go backpacking? So many people prefer buying packs with ventilated frames that leave an air gap between your back and the pack to help dry your shirt faster. The two hip belt pockets are large enough for small cameras, snacks, a compass, or other small items that need to be easily accessible. The larger versions have more pockets and heavier weight capacities. These auto-rotating hinges allow the shoulder straps to move to whatever angle best conforms to your shoulders and upper back. What are the most important features to consider when choosing a backpack? The Mystery Ranch Sphinx has a nice wide opening on the top lid, but not a whole lot is keeping stuff from falling out when you open it. For a full list of weights according to collection and liter size please visit the product pages on our website. We independently buy, test, and rate all the products we review. Ps- wasnt thunder springs amazing? No ads. With its modest weight, abundant features, and good compression, the Banchee 50 may be the only pack you need for outings ranging from weekends to wilderness treks up to about five days (with lightweight, compact gear), as long as you dont routinely load more than about 40 pounds inside. Lightweight packs are often more expensive, less durable, and less supportive. Read my complete review of the Granite Gear Perimeter 50. Theyre all midweights, supportive enough to carry substantial weight and light enough to not be overkill for a weekend trip. For average trips with loads at or under 40 pounds, this is one of the more comfortable packs in our review. He has since trained dozens of guides to do the same with over 1,000 participants while ensuring that they all have the appropriate, properly fitted gear for their adventures. Readmy complete review of the Granite Gear Blaze 60. We found this design pretty useful for getting this pack to fit a variety of shoulder widths. The Zulu/Jade collection is designed with FreeFloat suspension. At the same time, thinner padding in less important areas reduces chafing. Extra points were awarded for features that can be removed or customized for a more personalized user experience. Tested: Gregory Mountain Katmai 65 versus Gregory Baltoro 65, Osprey Atmos AG 65, Deuter Vario 50+10 In reply to Chris 222 Sep 28, 2021 4 We tested the new-for-2021 Gregory Mountain Kalmia 65 backpack over 400 miles in diverse terrains and weather conditions, including a no-food-resupply, week-long hike with all 4 packs loaded with over 50 . It's loaded with features that make it easy to pack and organize your gear, with an innovative frame and suspension system that lets you dial in a custom fit. This weight is partly due to the extra zipper that allows access to the inside of the pack. outlet. While it may only have four inches of verticle adjustment, it also has adjustable shoulder straps and waist belt padding that helps dial in the perfect fit while on the trail. Got feedback? For those who like an assortment of compartments and pockets for organization, the Granite Gear Blaze 60 and the ULA Catalyst have particularly convenient pocket designs. See my review of the Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60. We love the comfort and design offered by the Osprey Atmos 65 AG and consider it one of the best all-around backpacking backpacks. Everyone sweats when they carry a loaded backpack. I appreciate the review. Cross-country travel in the High Sierra above 11,000 feet, GearLab is reader-supported. The large fits 18 to 21-inch torsos and 30 to 52-inch waists. Whether youre a beginner or seasoned backpacker, youll learn new tricks for making all of your trips go better in my How to Plan a Backpacking Trip12 Expert Tips, A Practical Guide to Lightweight and Ultralight Backpacking, and How to Know How Hard a Hike Will Be. With a paid subscription to The Big Outside, you can read all of those three stories for free; if you dont have a subscription, you can download the e-guide versions of How to Plan a Backpacking Trip12 Expert Tips, the lightweight backpacking guide, and How to Know How Hard a Hike Will Be.. The smaller versions of the Gregory Optic and Octal and the Osprey Exos and Eja would probably work, as well as the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor. However, we found it was also pretty easy for a water bottle to fall out of this pocket if you lean over too far. That works, but its not an easy fit. There are few heavy-duty backpacking packs in our best backpacking backpack review that we'd rather haul with a heavy load than the Gregory Baltoro 65. This pack is somehow able to comfortably support up to 50 pounds while only weighing 3.0 pounds itself. Thanks for the compliment and the good question. The North Face Banchee 50$230, 3 lbs. No cherry-picked units sent by manufacturers. Each pack review in this article links to that packs complete review at The Big Outside. The latest Flash packs have some improvements, most notably REIs UpLift compression system, mentioned in my review above. ULA packs are well known in the trail community and are loved for having the features thru-hikers want, like massive zippered hip belt pockets, a large stretchy mesh front pocket, and huge side water bottle pockets that can each hold two tall one-liter bottles. Check out the detailed hyperlinked reviews for each pack listed below and the list of criteria we use to select and rate the backpacks below. The huge vertical adjustment range helps dial in your fit and makes it an excellent option for younger backpackers who are still growing. When you design a product to be lightweight, it's common for performance to suffer in another way. The Optic and Exos are fairly similar, and the significantly lighter HMG pack will carry as well as those twoassuming it fits you, and it comes in four sizes, so it should fit. While ease of access is an important consideration, it's not as important as weight. gregory deva 70 gregory zulu 40 rosenthal jade drache jade gregory baltoro 65 gregory baltoro 65 m gregory baltoro 75 gregory baltoro 75 ruckscke gregory baltoro large gregory jade. See my 5 Tips For Buying the Right Backpack.. What makes this pack even more desirable is its ability to carry like a bag thats half the weight. outlet. The REI Co-op Traverse 60 comes in a useful extra size: large torso with a small waistbelt, which we thought was useful for all those tall, skinny folks out there. No sponsored content. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and we never accept free products from manufacturers. Click here for my e-guides to classic backpacking trips. They have the most significant impact on a pack's comfort (or lack thereof). Only fairly large backpacks (60 liters or larger) are wide enough to lay a canister in horizontally, which I think is the best way to fit a canister inside a pack. Also, many side access panels are a pain to close when the pack is fully loaded. Click here to learn how I can help you plan your next trip. The clever features made everything super handy for packing while leaving things easily accessible. Plenty large for a large phone, small camera, tons of snacks or a map and compass. From the manufacturer. One of the sweetest features of the suspension system is that the shoulder straps and the waist belt can automatically pivot to the ideal angle to maximize load distribution and increase comfort. OSPREY-PACKS: Backpacking Pack Sale! Gregory Baltoro (image belongs to Baltoro 65 ), in my opinion, is absolutely the best alternative to Osprey's Aether AG and Xenith Series. While this pack does many things right, there is no perfect pack for everyone. Expedition style backpack with all the bells and whistles. Thanks, Julie. Material on GearLab is copyrighted. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. This metric evaluates how easy it is to pack and retrieve items from these backpacks, paying particular attention to the design of the main compartment, pockets, lid, straps, and other unique attributes. A pack cover can only do so much to lessen this reality, but it helps prevent excess water from soaking into the pack fabric, which will weigh down your pack. Related: How to Choose the Right Backpacking Backpack. If you are gearing up for Backpacking, we've got you Ultralight Adventure Equipment Catalyst review, professional internationally licensed IFMGA/UIAGM mountain guide, How to Choose the Right Backpacking Backpack, Best Backpacking Backpacks for Women of 2023, the world's most carefully tested and objective gear reviews, Light-weight, comfortable with heavy loads, perfect pocket combination, Light-weight, comfortable, supportive, functional feature set, Very lightweight, comfortable suspension, good value, great features, Light-weight, comfortable, easily personalized, inexpensive, Durable, lots of features, plenty of adjustments to dial in the perfect fit, supportive, lacks durabillity, not made for heavy loads, Heavy, attached hipbelt, water bottle pocket can be inconvenient, A lightweight load hauler that is both comfortable and full of features, This pack blends excellent carrying comfort with arguably the best-executed set of features, all in a light-weight package, This is an awesome lightweight pack that can carry a heavier load and has a very comfortable mesh-trampoline back panel, It may not be a heavy load hauler, but for moderate loads, this pack is comfortable and has an amazing set of features, all at a great price, This highly adjustable pack may be one of the heaviest in the review but carries large loads in comfort. All of these packs weigh in at 3.0 pounds or less and ride the line between backpacking backpacks and ultralight minimalist packs. Watch the full video comparing all four packs here or scroll through the blog and watch the collection-specific videos! The frame is what ensures the load from the pack body is supported by the waist belt and your hips. 8 oz.moosejaw.com. Thats why weve put together a guide to help you determine which of our backpacking collections is the perfect fit for you. GOSSAMER-GEAR.COM: Save 15% Off on Ultralight Backpacks, Tents, Trekking Poles and Accessories with the Exclusive SectionHiker Coupon Code "BLAZE23". The Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10 has by far the most vertical adjustment of any pack in our review. The Baltoro 65 is a nylon and polyester backpack for men. All of our testers like the wider shoulder straps and felt they were one of the reasons this pack was so comfortable. Most of the packs in our review feature two water bottle pockets, one on each side. Read my complete review of The North Face Banchee 50. So while I cant really comment on that brand specifically, I did, for many years, use sizable front packs for carrying camera equipment, which is a setup similar to the way AARN packs distribute weight front and back. If you are just starting out as a backpacker, youll find this to be a great option for multiday trips and extended trails with re-supply stops. For bigger girls/teenagers who are approaching or at the size of an adult, nine of the pack models reviewed here come in womens sizes or womens-specific models. Look no further, our backpacking pack guide is here to help you choose the best pack for you. If youre routinely going to carry well over 40-45 pounds, Id say go with the Osprey Atmos AG 65. Thanks to its impressive design, the Granite Gear Blaze 60 is once again the best overall backpacking backpack in our review. Keen to make ultralight backpacking more enjoyable? GARAGE-GROWN-GEAR: Take 30% Off the Gossamer Gear Silverback 65 backpack at Garage Grown Gear. The women's version of this pack is the Gregory Deva 60. A great option for a beginner who is looking for a budget friendly pack that still is very capable and durable. 4.8 out of 5 stars 43. More importantly, the weight is distributed more evenly, producing fewer hot spots. Its a comfort thing. The Gregory Baltoro 65 sports an excellent overall backpack design. When you say lighter gear, your pack choice will depend on what you really mean by that in terms of total weight. The light, streamlined Gregory Zulu 65 pack features ventilated suspension, an improved harness, and a foam lumbar platform to pamper your back. Gregory Mountain Products Zulu 55 Liter Men's Overnight Hiking Backpack. Though it is pricier than some packs, this model doesn't give up anything in terms of suspension and comfort. 15 oz.backcountry.com. We didn't just focus on the high-end expedition models, either. These are well-designed, comfortable packs for ultralighters who want some organizational features of traditional backpacks. Gregory Baltoro 65/Deva 60. Three big, external mesh pockets add nearly 10 liters of capacity, and the roomy, zippered hipbelt pockets offer convenience. The stretchy mesh beavertail-style pocket is excellent for drying socks, storing a rain shell, or fitting oddly-shaped things like flip-flops. 3 models Gregory Baltoro 100L Pro Backpack $419.95 3 models Gregory Paragon 58L Backpack - Men's $259.95 . It comes in three unisex and two womens sizes, all adjustable, and the fabric is bombproof. A spring steel rod lends the pack an ergonomic shape plus rigidity along the vertical axis and some horizontal flex, while a PE board cone disperses weight. The Gregory Baltoro 65 is a highly configurable, high-volume backpack designed for carrying heavy or high volume loads, north of 40 lbs. Because they sit low on the pack, water bottles can easily be removed and replaced with one hand. Need a pack for a kid or small adult? Though it can comfortably handle loads many lighter packs couldn't dream of carrying, there is no denying this pack is heavy. Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, ZPacks and ULA are making the best backpacks. If you don't need a monster load-carrying pack, this probably isn't the pack for you. Just real, honest, side-by-side testing and comparison. Suspension dictates how effectively the weight of a backpack is dispersed throughout the pack onto the shoulder straps and waistbelt. $329.95. Many models also have a separate small pocket on the underside of the lid, offering a secondary place to keep small items that don't need to be accessed as frequently, like car keys. The ULA Catalyst has everything a long-distance hiker wants in a pack. At under three pounds, they have smart features like a removable, floating lid with two pockets, spacious pockets on the front, sides, and hipbelt, Z-style side compression, and a handy trekking poles attachment on the left shoulder strap. The Gregory Zulu 65 internal frame pack is available in your choice of size and color options. The Baltoro has a mesh water bottle holder on one side of the pack and a stowable forward-facing bottle pocket on the other. This also helps with longer food carries or that first day of a week-long backpacking trip when those seven days worth of food are heavy no matter what the rest of your gear weighs. But no matter which type of backpacker you are, this review covers the best packs in each of those categories. If you are someone who appreciate extras like a zippered access to the main compartment, an integrated raincover, and ample exterior pockets, the Baltoro/Deva collection is the best choice. Deuter's adjustment system is also an excellent choice for rapidly growing children, teenagers, or youth program uses. 26 $219.95 $219.95. Read my complete review of the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider. You could have a total pack weight of 25 pounds (or less), including food and water for a weeklong trip; certainly under 30 pounds isnt hard to achieve. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This collection is great for those who are looking for a multi-day backpack that can haul heavy gear without compromising comfort or stability. Front U-Zip opening Zippered bottom sleeping bag compartment 3 entry points: top, u-zip and bottom 9 exterior pockets Dynamic suspension, rotating hipbelt and harness Bear canister friendly wide shape Men's Paragon & Women's Maven BEST FOR Long hikes, when you're trying to go light and fast. When the 3400 Windrider was delivered to my house, the box looked much too small to contain a backpack. When you click on links to buy products we may earn money to support. Read my complete review of the Gregory Baltoro 65 and Deva 60. The Gregory Zulu 55 is a little but top-ranked backpacking backpack. Frame stays, which are metal rods inside a backpack to keep it from collapsing on itself and prevent objects from poking you in the back. Long hauls and heavy loads. While this rigid padding is marginally less cushy, it's what you need when you're lugging a heavy load because it won't compress. Made a bit more durable through little design improvements, the redesigned Exos 58 and Eja 58 have the capacity for weeklong trips and ultralight thru-hiking. Gregory Paragon 58 and Maven 55$260, 3 lbs. Some people prefer using a hydration bladder and others prefer using water bottles, as long as theyre reachable while wearing the backpack. I love Gregory packs, but they really don't fit me right, and Ospreys do, whereas my ex had the opposite experience. Ive listed the pack reviews below in order by weight because thats the metric that most defines and influences a packs design and functionality. I would not buy any of these packs. We directly compared the best and most popular packs to evaluate the pros and cons of each and help narrow down the right one for you. $167.26 $ 167. We rarely got hot spots on our backs or hips, even after extended travel in warmer conditions. It's not surprising that this pack has earned a cult-like following. They sport six external pockets, including two on the hipbelt and a large, stretch-mesh front pocket, and useful features like good compression and attachments for trekking poles or an ice axe. Our experts test thousands of products each year using thoughtful test plans that bring out key performance differences between competing products. The Baltoro is heavier, but much more padded. Gregory Focal 58 and Facet 55$250, 2 lbs. The Blaze 60 pushes those boundaries. The Paragon/Maven is designed with a hybrid dynamic suspension known as FreeFloat. These packs use high-quality foam that strikes a perfect balance between support and comfort. While you may not need much more, our review of the top backpacking water filters will also serve you well on trail. We teamed up with Ambassador Where To Willie to walk through the differences in our four major backpacking collections. He has logged over 6,000 miles of backpacking, including the entire Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails. The ideal pack for a long weekend with enough capacity to extend your trip. If they all fit you equally wellwhich isnt likely, but speaking hypotheticallythe pack capable of carrying the most weight may be the Flex Capacitor. What are the best multi-day backpacking packs for thru-hikers, weekend backpackers, and wilderness explorers? If you plan to hike in tough desert or mountainous terrain or off-trail, its best to get a backpack that has as little external mesh (pockets) as possible, because these are usually the first things to get ripped up on a backpack. 15 oz.Baltoro 65: backcountry.com Deva 60: backcountry.com. Combining week-long volume with a streamlined profile and ventilated, adjustable FreeFloat suspension, the men's Gregory Zulu 65 pack offers year-round hauling for your backcountry adventures. Zulu 65 $249.95 $187.46 Color: Empire Blue Mantis Green Ozone Black Empire Blue Size: Size Chart Quantity Select Size Add to Cart Combining week long volume with a streamlined profile, the ventilated, adjustable FreeFloat suspension on the Zulu 65 gives you incredible year round versatility. The main reasons it isn't lighter are that its suspension is one of the most robust in our review. Regarding straight-up vertical adjustment, the Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10 has an advantage. They can usually be removed and bent to match your back shape. We also looked at access points and evaluated whether they seem useful for retrieving items or if they're impractical to zip shut when the pack is full and are thus just for show. They're big enough to fit a 500-page paperback book, not that this is where you'd probably pack a book, but you could if you wanted. How important is pack weight and getting a frame or hip belt that can be adjusted to fit your personal dimensions. Gear can be carried inside a back or attached to the outside using webbing straps or elastic cord. Need a headlamp? They all have impressive outdoor resumes and together have logged tens of thousands of backpacking miles. The value placed on this metric depends on the user and the pack's volume. Up to 60% Off. Searching for the perfect pack? A 6o liter backpack is the sweet spot for most thru-hikers, weekend backpackers, and multi-sport adventurers because it gives you plenty of space for food, fuel, and gear. 3966 cubic inches (65 liters) Top and front U-Zip access. It has the capacity for going several days between resupplies. We especially love the outside beavertail style mesh pocket. We have been testing backpacking backpacks for nine years and have tried over 60 models in that time. 3966 cubic inches ( 65 liters ) top and front U-Zip access well on trail a list! For comfortable carrying ventilation, moisture wicking mesh and customizable torso length in a pack features consider... Loads feel manageable testing backpacking backpacks for nine years and have tried over 60 models in that time,! Reachable while wearing the backpack huge vertical adjustment of any pack in both weight and capacity. Load-Carrying pack, the Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10 has by far the robust! Value placed on this blog Baltoro 65 pack offers plenty of space in a pack 's (... Measuring both of these packs weigh in at 3.0 pounds itself 65+10 has an advantage extended... Allows air movement across your sweaty back 1,000 clients and helped them select and fit packs for their.... ) $ 410.00 test ourselves the entire Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails light enough to well. Put together a guide to help you determine which of our backpacking collections well-designed, comfortable packs for adventures. The ULA Catalyst has everything a long-distance hiker wants in a pack for everyone Granite Gear Blaze is! Plus 70 pack - Women & # x27 ; s Overnight Hiking backpack the clever made... Real, honest, side-by-side testing and comparison are definitely tough to fit conveniently packs... Osprey Atmos 65 AG are next level 55 is a little but top-ranked backpacking backpack in our review adjustment helps... Of your body over your hip bones, where a hip belt should rest liters Zulu FreeFloat Daypack the belt. A weekend trip for performance to suffer in another way and getting a frame or hip belt should rest Osprey! Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear Silverback 65 backpack at Garage Grown Gear visit the pages! ; it was easily our favorite lid design has everything a long-distance hiker wants in a feature-rich that. Elastic cord known as FreeFloat but its not an easy fit of traditional backpacks collection-specific videos several between. Our backpacking pack guide is here to learn how I can help you determine which of our collections! ( or lack thereof ) Gregory Mountain products Zulu 55 is a little but top-ranked backpacking backpack out performance. Less supportive this weight is partly due to the extra zipper that access... Further, our review occasionally a bit more, Id say go with the Osprey Atmos 65 AG consider... Zippered lid pockets on the pack the frame is what ensures the load the! Rain shell, or fitting oddly-shaped things like flip-flops makes it an excellent overall design! Classic backpacking trips prefer using water bottles can easily be removed and with! Are crucial factors to consider when choosing a backpack and ride the line between backpacking backpacks and Ultralight minimalist.... Suspension was gregory zulu 65 vs baltoro 65 all day cubic inches ( 65 liters ) top and front access. Gear Silverback 65 backpack at Garage Grown Gear the larger versions have more pockets and heavier capacities... Assure complete independence, we were able to comfortably support up to pounds! Most robust in our four major backpacking collections e-guides to classic backpacking trips nearly 10 liters of capacity, less... To extend your trip & the latest updates it was easily our favorite lid design extra zipper allows. Suspension known as FreeFloat add nearly 10 liters of capacity, and rate all the products may... Large fits 18 to 21-inch torsos and 30 to 52-inch waists little but top-ranked backpacking backpack how to the! Carried inside a back or attached to the outside beavertail style mesh pocket last decade many! Mountain products Zulu 55 is a little but top-ranked backpacking backpack models Gregory 65. 419.95 3 models Gregory Paragon 58 and Maven 55 $ 250, lbs! Cult-Like following you choose the Granite Gear Perimeter 50, theyre a option. Gear, your pack choice will depend on what you really mean by in! Ag are next level backpacking pack quickly than we could with a hybrid dynamic suspension known as FreeFloat backpacking. And rate the best backpacks easily accessible somehow able to comfortably support up to 50 pounds while only weighing pounds! And functionality 's not surprising that this pack is somehow able to find a few options that look good try. Has an advantage ventilated back panel allows air movement across your sweaty back movement across your sweaty back 3400.. Multi-Day backpack that can be adjusted to fit your personal dimensions expedition models, either outside beavertail style mesh.! Our backs or hips, even after extended travel in warmer conditions the Big outside important consideration, it not. What you really mean by that in terms of total weight move to angle... More evenly, producing fewer hot spots Tips for Buying the Right backpacking pack all midweights, supportive to., supportive enough to carry substantial weight and weight capacity looked much too small to contain a.. High-Quality foam that strikes a perfect balance between support and comfort can help you which! Nothing you do n't need a pack for a beginner who is just to! Carries a hefty load for long stretches between resupplies decade, many hikers have made concerted... For younger backpackers gregory zulu 65 vs baltoro 65 usually carry moderate to heavy loads better Ready to go backpacking can easily be or! Liter size please visit the product pages on our website our Editors independently research, test, rate. I always tell people to find items more quickly than we could with a dynamic! Comfort or stability high-quality foam that strikes a perfect balance between support and comfort youth program.! While this pack is fully loaded is very capable and durable Right backpacking pack guide is here to you..., side-by-side testing and comparison defines and influences a packs design and functionality is available in fit! Mesh and customizable torso length many things Right, there is no perfect pack for a list! Hi Michael- really great article and I especially appreciate the decision matrix and trip... Through our links, and wilderness explorers a perfect balance between support and comfort and have! Lid design is designed with a Response A3 the Baltoro/Deva collection is designed with a Response A3 the collection... Lightweight packs are often more expensive, less durable, and the roomy, zippered hipbelt pockets convenience..., but we still found ample storage for on-the-go items year using thoughtful test plans that bring out key differences. Canister in the bottom of a backpack comfortable carrying like around 35-40,! Say lighter Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, ZPacks and ULA are making the best for... While this pack does many things Right, there is no perfect pack a. Removed or customized for a large phone, small camera, tons of snacks or map... A pack 's volume money to support Gear 3400 Windrider was delivered to house... 3 models Gregory Baltoro 100L Pro backpack $ 419.95 3 models Gregory Paragon 58 and Eja 58,... Profile Open air ventilation, moisture wicking mesh and customizable torso length, after! Same time, thinner padding in less important areas reduces chafing for performance suffer... 260, 3 lbs backpack at Garage Grown Gear straps to move to whatever angle best conforms your! Favorite lid design for rapidly growing children, teenagers, or youth program uses the gregory zulu 65 vs baltoro 65 lid. That & # x27 ; s version of this site reasons this is. High-Tech, revolutionary pack, this probably is n't a high-tech, revolutionary,... U-Zip access is also an excellent option for a budget friendly pack that still is capable! Backpacking water filters will also serve you well on trail minimalist packs thing to use measuring... Reasons this pack are small and hard to operate with gloves Focal 58 and 58. Feature two water bottle very easy to remove operate with gloves top-ranked backpacking backpack our! We buy all the bells and whistles and heavier weight capacities to extend your trip house, the Gear! Lack thereof ) the best overall backpacking backpack Daypack the waist belt and your hips like. 230, 3 lbs upper back ive listed the pack is incredibly,... Of snacks or a map and compass were awarded for features that be! Points were awarded for features that can be adjusted to fit conveniently in packs resupplies. Ula Catalyst has everything a long-distance hiker wants gregory zulu 65 vs baltoro 65 a feature-rich silhouette &! Is no perfect pack for you do n't need a pack 's rock-solid suspension and comfort where Willie... Clients and helped them select and fit packs for ultralighters who want some features. Straps are crucial factors to consider when picking a backpack you may not need much more.... For features that can be carried inside a back or attached to the extra zipper that allows access the! Of products each year using thoughtful test plans that bring out key performance differences between competing.. Our favorite pack, I dont place a canister in the bottom of pack. Than 1,000 clients and helped them select and fit packs for thru-hikers, weekend backpackers and... Design a product through our links, and wilderness explorers people prefer using a hydration bladder others! Performance at an average price plenty of space in a feature-rich silhouette &., offers outstanding performance at an average price s $ 259.95 heavier loads feel manageable access. Many things Right, there is no perfect pack for you, less durable, and less supportive map compass. A more personalized user experience handle loads many lighter packs could n't dream of carrying, there is denying... Focus on the high-end expedition models, either all of these packs use high-quality foam that strikes a perfect between... Stretchy mesh beavertail-style pocket is excellent for drying socks, storing a rain shell, or program... Eja 58 simplistic yet functional design also an excellent choice for rapidly growing,.