they said. St George IOM Boys training 3/5/45 Christmas leave 45 took all kit and returned to Ipswich station, then by the ubiquitous 3 ton Bedford to Shotley where we reopened HMS Ganges as a boys establishment. 1959 and what a bugger Ganges turned out to be. http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/hms-ganges-swimming-pool-shotley-may-2015.t96792, Anniversary Toast - HMS RALEIGH 25th Oct 2009, Telegraph: "Captain Peter Grindal Obituary", Future Ford vehicles could repossess themselves, 10 myths told by Covid 'experts' now debunked. The only thing I can remember of that awesome night, apart from collecting a kit bag and filling it to capacity with kit, was sobbing myself to sleep and that I ate the biggest meal I'd ever eaten in my entire 15 years of life. Reaching high into the sunlit sky stood the mast; its yardarms spread wide like a giant crucifix. She remained in service at RNTE Shotley until October 1976. Other things we had to do included, clean a toilet with a toothbrush, polish a hundred square feet of block-wood flooring with a boot brush every night before going to bed, paint the inside of a dustbin white before putting your rubbish into it. Learn how your comment data is processed. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN, Artist's impression showing the view across a residential street at the redeveloped HMS Ganges site in Shotley Gate. First Royal Navy ship to visit Eire, post independence? Heard so much about HMS Ganges though and it sounded very good for developing 'real sailors ' but as much as I hate to admit it I suspect it would have been too much for me . Posted on February 5, 2019 by irishroverpei. October, new Shore Establishment created and commissioned as Royal Navy Training Establishment, Shotley. 1903. Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. She was established as a boys' training establishment in 1865, and was based aboard a number of hulks before moving ashore. Helpful Report abuse Kindle Customer Sorting The Wheat From The Chaff Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2014 4 reviews When Peter Broadbent entered HMS Ganges, the toughest training establishment for young recruits to the Royal Navy, he was a naive 15-year-old Yorkshire schoolboy, entranced with the idea of seeing the world, proud of his drainpipe trousers and DA hairstyle, and eager to meet girls. Photos showing the rusting mast at the former site of HMS Ganges at Shotley peninsula have been released on social media, prompting concerns that the 142ft high structure is not being properly. Report . "I remember another of the Ganges boys, they were talking to a visitor at the museum, and she said 'it was quite brutal, wasn't it? Review of a book of anecdotes about legendary UK boys' naval establishment HMS Ganges, which at any one time housed as many as 2,000 trainee sailors in their middle teens. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. A historic Grade II listed former Royal Navy training mast has been taken down ahead of restoration work. Steve Tarr. Boys normally signed up to a contract of 12 years, which would leave most of them aged in their late 20s after their tours. HMS Ganges was the name given to several Royal Navy ships since from 1779, but in 1905 it was chosen as title for a new training base at Shotley Gate, near Ipswich where about 500 boy recruits were stationed. Developers Wavensmere Homes and Galliard Homes plan to build almost 300 homes on the site and include a restored mast in the development. First time ever looking at any RN sights. Welcome to Forces Reunited the place where you can find information and friends from HMS Ganges. I just got on with it. As Rudyard Kipping wrote in his famous poem IF the you will be a man my son. Editors' Code of Practice. Peter Cook. She remained in service at RNTE Shotley until October 1976. Discussions between developers and Babergh District Council planning officers have been concluded five years after plans for the huge project were given outline planning permission in December 2015. The HMS Ganges training base, which opened in 1905, closed in 1976 and has remained derelict. Through the year the training was intense, probably a good thing, it gave us little time to regret joining the navy. Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. The cinemas would be packed with rows of Ganges boys in uniform and the caf at the corner of St Stephen's Lane would sell them many cups of tea as they waited for their bus back to Shotley. I allowed my head to tilt backward, sending my gaze to the very top, to the lightning conductor where the Button Boy stood on ceremonial occasions. Editors' Code of Practice. Now i know why! HMS Ganges being broken up after training was transferred to the land base at Shotley (Image: HMS Ganges Museum). Life at Ganges was recalled recently in The Evening Star when a book about the base by Alan Peck was published. contact IPSO here, 2001-2023. This was where the roped rigging jutted out some ten feet - above it, the platform. The HMS Ganges training base, which opened in 1905, closed in 1976 and has remained . H.M.S. Used to have chats with old Tick-Tock and RPO Salmon gave me my 1 postal order when the max was really ten bob. Some 100 boy-sailors were in the canteen, chewing and chattering; clattering knives forks and spoons against plates and bowls. CLICK ABOVE TO OPEN GALLERY. I knew only when it was over would I then be able to call myself a true Ganges Boy and, some years later, a real sailor. Picture: CLAGUE ARCHITECTS, Independent Babergh District councillor for Ganges, Derek Davis. While I was going through the various calls I felt his hand slipping up the back of my shorts. (LogOut/ The training was tough, brutal at times, yet many of those who came through remember HMS Ganges, at Shotley Gate, with a certain fondness. From the top of the mast, its a long way to come ! NO FLOWERS FOR GEORDIE, HE'S NOT HERE TODAYTHE SEA HAS CLAIMED MY GEORDIE BOYPLEASE NO FLOWERS TODAYFIFTEEN YEARS OF LEARNING, HE'LL NOT GO DOWN THE MINESO WE TOOK HIM NEAR TO IPSWICH TOWNFAR FROM THE SEAMS OF THE TYNEIN A PLACE THEY STILL CALL 'GANGES' WITH TWO THOUSAND OTHER BOYSHE LEARNED TO SPLICE AND SAIL A BOATTALL ORDERS WERE HIS TOYSTHE 'BULLY BOYS' CAME NIGHTLY, DID THINGS A BOY COUNDN'T TELLBUT THEY MADE HIM WRITE IN HIS LETTERS HOME MAMMA YOU'R BOY'S DOIN WELLTHEN NEWS CAME OF SOME FIGHTING IN A FAR OFF DISTANT LANDWE NEED THOSE BOYS THUS SPAKE FOUR RINGSIN OUR BIG SHIPS THEY CAN RIDEIT'S WRITTEN ON HIS PAPERS, TWAS NOT THE DEED OF A MAN BUT A WAVE THAT TOOK MY GEORDIE BOYFIVE MILES OFF PLYMOUTH SOUNDSO NO FLOWERS FOR GEORDIE HE'S NOT HERE TODAY THE SEA HAS CLAIMED MY GEORDIE BOYPLEASE NO FLOWERS TODAY. A Gannett Company. It had to be a joke! An appeal by Woolverstone Parish Council was turned down two years later. CHARGE CHIEF PETTY OFFICER (WEA) Served from 1974 - 1997 Served in HMS Ganges. There was also a degree of sexual abuse going on at Ganges, but we boys were too scared to ever complain or report such incidents. He was subsequently dismissed from the service and returned to civilian life. Heard so much about HMS Ganges though and it sounded very good for developing 'real sailors ' but as much as I hate to admit it I suspect it would have been too much for me . If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can Read about our approach to external linking. #42. Martin Foster, 54, of Haig Road, Uxbridge, had already admitted two charges of fraud by abuse of position. Observer career path/ real life experience. This punishment was something I never witnessed and can only describe from what other boys told me. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The mast has been a local landmark since it was erected a century ago this year at the end of the Shotley peninsular. During the third disastrous week, it spent so much time on the deck I thought I might as well leave it there! Yes indeed, they were the best of times and the worst of times. It would not be an exaggeration to say not one of us had the slightest idea of what lay in store for the next year. May 46 to HMS Wakeful, Training Flotilla for a twelve-week tour from . Jon Sparks. Researched and compiled by A. S. Grimmer (Solent Division) who sadly crossed the bar 6th January 2007. HP10 9TY. One person found this helpful. Richard Dunn. Some boys failed the initial inspection which only lengthen their time in the freezing conditions. Doesnt sound too bad does it. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN (Image: Archant). HMS Ganges was a training ship and later stone frigate of the Royal Navy. The latest development means that construction work could start immediately, however, due to the coronavirus outbreak, progress has been delayed. On the parade ground the order went something like On the command fix! The left hand went behind the cheek of your left buttock and twisted the bayonet and scabbard upward. Dave Walton RN retired. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Work on the scheme, which would see 285 new homes, a 60-bed nursing home, a large retail space and areas for medical services, will not be started until a spine road through the site, which will take the bulk of construction traffic away from main roads, is built. It. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. It was as we crossed the parade ground the whole bunch of us suddenly froze and spun to face a huge aircraft-hanger-of-a-building running along its length. The former treasurer of a naval veterans' organisation has been jailed for 18 months after nearly 80,000 was withdrawn from its accounts. David Colwill. Nevertheless, as bad and as cruel as I have describe Ganges, I remain proud to call myself a Ganges Boy. HMS Ganges was a training ship and later stone frigate of the Royal Navy. HMS Ganges in Shotley Gate, Suffolk, was a land-based training centre for recruits between 1905 and 1976. Even by naval training standards life there was controlled by a very strict regime. For spite I think, because it wasn't compulsory. He deserted on numerous occasions and willfully disobeyed orders . HMS Ganges - part of front gate Having completed the New Entry training over at the Annex (I think it took six weeks), we then marched over to Drake 39 mess over in the Main Establishment. At 14 he ran away to join the Royal Navy and 'signed on' for 12 years. To get out of the showers we had to stand before our instructor legs apart arms raised for inspection. 5.0 out of 5 stars A real trip down memory lane. Anniversary Toast - HMS RALEIGH 25th Oct 2009, Telegraph: "Captain Peter Grindal Obituary", Future Ford vehicles could repossess themselves, 10 myths told by Covid 'experts' now debunked. ", The honours board from the HMS Ganges, showing the victories of all the Royal Navy ships bearing the name (Image: HMS Ganges Museum). The Admiralty decided that the shore base should bear the name of the original training ship, HMS Ganges. Life on the ship was extremely hard, with a memorial in Mylor, Cornwall, recording the names of 53 people who died while training on it between 1866 and 1899. There was one hell to come, the Ganges mast! It was hard, often . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. At Gagnes they spent 12 months training, and they learned everything you need to do to run a ship. interesting .. photos of the old pool. They looked like what we didn't, sailors. There was also a degree of sexual abuse going on at Ganges, but we boys were too scared to ever complain or report such incidents. They looked smarter, more confident, or even downright dejected. HMS Ganges moved moorings from Harwich to Shotley. They say you never forget the place and I agree. In attendance was a senior officer, medical officer and the master at arms. HMS Ganges as a training ship in the 1900s (Image: HMS Ganges Museum). Realizing his mistake he fought back and with no way out he had no choice but to work his ticket. Each evening after we had cleaned the mess, we took everything out of the locker rolled each item into a nine-inch sausage, tied white tape around both ends, and then placed every item on a blanket. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The skipper was HS McKenzie who went FOSM. We can reunite you with your friends who served at HMS Ganges and we have a wealth of information on different units, bases and ships in the site. HMS Ganges had a reputation for its harsh discipline. Every letter of our names had to be perfectly in line. The showers usually took place at the crack of dawn, summer or winter we ran from the barrack towel around our waist to the showers. At 14 he ran away to join the Royal Navy and signed on for 12 years. Aerial artist's impression of one of the green spaces earmarked for the former HMS. Saw your message. . Engineer commander had been on Amethyst up the Yangtse and was quite sympathetic when he was OOD. inaccuracy or intrusion, then please He was sitting on a stool and told me to stand in front of him and begin. HMS GANGES AT HIGHNAM COURT, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, 1940 - 1942. HMS Ganges. 1905 - 1976 Tangible progress to transform a former Suffolk naval training base into nearly 300 homes, a sports park, shops and a GP surgery could be seen once the coronavirus lockdown is over. But, because of the lockdown nothing has really moved and I think, even though construction workers havent leagally been told theyre not allowed to do anything, the owners are a bit reluctant to move. The previous evening I'd arrived at HMS Ganges training annexe, with an assortment of other would-be-sailors, and was placed in the capable hands of a spotty-faced junior instructor and a bullet-proof gunnery instructor who wore crossed guns on both lapels. Even if it amazingly stayed put, as soon as I slammed the rifle onto the parade ground off it popped again. I told him "I don't give a flying feck!" Roe told me "I don't like you." First Royal Navy ship to visit Eire, post independence? George Douglas Blake HMS Warspite. Write to Dave Kindred, Kindred Spirits, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN. The kindly chef asked me whether I intended to eat the mountain of food I'd heaped on my plate or climb it! They faced what was without doubt the most severe punishment, cuts. Sad to see such an establishment close as it was so full of history and meant so much to so many. The master at arms held a long thin bamboo cane, the instrument of the punishment. Registered in England & Wales | 01676637 |. Hetzner Online GmbH, Industriestrasse 25, D-91710 Gunzenhausen, Germany +49 9831 505-0 [email protected]. HP10 9TY. Initially, training continued to be carried out on the vessel, but after the completion of a shore-based facility at Shotley, the ship was sent to be broken up. HMS Ganges was a "stone frigate" or land-based institution for the Royal Navy, and between 1905 and 1976 was one of the key training bases used to prepare sailors to defend Great Britain. The next six years passed with regular naval detentions, ( Royal Naval Detention Quarters RNDQs Portsmouth) exhausting punishments, solitary confinements, ending with a twelve month sentence in the infamous HMP Corradino, Malta. Were you at HMS Ganges? I would imagine it will be a number of years before we see the final product but Ive seen first hand how quickly they can actually make progress once the builders get going. Sailors' uniforms were a familiar sight in our area until HMS Ganges closed in June 1976. HMS Ganges was the name given to several Royal Navy ships from 1779 onwards, but in 1905 it was chosen for a new training base at Shotley Gate, near Ipswich, where about 500 boy recruits were. This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation's Drake 39 mess At least the cubicles in the heads had doors on this time. Please Login or Register. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. First the older of the two, Maurice WRIGHT JX 657902. Like lots of other boys I ran away from home when I was 14 yrs old and joined the Royal Navy as a Boy Seaman 2nd class. CEM1 Served from 1972 - 1978 Served in HMS Ganges. If you have a story suggestion email [email protected], Former Royal Navy training mast restoration begins, Bid to save Navy 'architectural gem' swimming pool, Pictures reveal storm damage to passenger ferry, Ed Sheeran: Wife had tumour during pregnancy and new album, 'I would never hurt you, ever' - Man accused of three rapes gives evidence, 'My husband is a great source of material': Two comedians on their stand-up lives, Drive-thru McDonalds and Costa coming to Suffolk Business Park, 'Serious accident' fears spark mobility scooter safety event, Affordable homes deal struck with district council, Angry protests erupt over Greek rail disaster, India PM Modi urges G20 to overcome divisions, How 10% of Nigerian registered voters delivered victory, Sake brewers toast big rise in global sales, The Indian-American CEO who wants to be US president, Blackpink lead top stars back on the road in Asia, Exploring the rigging claims in Nigeria's elections, 'Wales is in England' gaffe sparks TikToker's trip. He was the officer that tested us when we endeavoured to qualify with a bosuns pipe. 1906. AboutPressCopyrightContact. 2023 BBC. Once the situation eases a bit there will be tangible progress to be seen.. Artist's impression showing the view across a residential street at the redeveloped HMS Ganges site in Shotley Gate. Name Hetzner Online GmbH - Contact Role. Justin I saw the mast fully manned three times and it was a wonderful sight to see as it was so well choreographed and I was always amazed how the button boy could even get onto the button, when there was a breeze the mast moved a few good feet at the top of it and as I said all he had to hold onto was a knee high lighting conductor. His early life was hard by any standards. Mast erected using the foremast of HMS Cordelia, which was broken up 1904. When the Gunnery Instructor was finally satisfied, you put the lot back in your locker as before. GANGES was the shore training establishment for boy entrants into the Royal Navy from 1905 until 1976. Mr Jones also offered reassurance around the historic mast, despite fears about its dilapidated state. It had been HO (Hostilities-only) traing during the war. On October 28 the White Ensign was lowered for the last time and the ships figurehead was transferred to Royal Hospital School, Holbrook. 1905. ", The sailors in training doing exercises outside the gym (Image: HMS Ganges Museum). As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles. These were all regular happenings at Ganges. Looking pretty in candy-striped pyjama bottoms and naked chests, we were ordered across the parade ground, through the snow and ice, to the 'heads', that grown-up potty land, which had neither doors nor partitions around the bowls for privacy, to partake in our morning ablutions, a most embarrassing experience. (LogOut/ This was followed by a leap from the diving board, as high as any tree I'd ever climbed, wearing the waterlogged boiler suit and a lifejacket. Im here as my Son (15) wants to join the RN - Wellbeck route AIB soon. Former recruit John Youngman said it would be "nice to see it restored to its former glory". If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to View of the iconic mast at the former HMS Ganges site in Shotley Gate. Ganges training establishment. At about 60 feet was the Devil's Elbow, the most dangerous and frightening part. She was the last wooden wall ship to be a flagship, and the last to sail around cape horn unassisted. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 16 June 2021 . joined in '63 Dreadnought in the Annexe and Duncan in main camp, Went swimming at Vincent before colling-grad got its pool, and sailing if my memory is not totally shot, I sometimes considered climbing to the top of the mast a tossing myself off. Abuse Details. She was established as a boys' training establishment in 1865, and was based aboard a number of hulks before moving ashore. The site was closed in 1976 and was used as a maaried quarter estate by the RAF. The water was freezing cold, we never had hot water. Today in Naval History - Naval / Maritime Events in History 13 March 1653 - Death of Simon de Vlieger (c. 1601, Rotterdam - buried 13 March 1653, Weesp) Simon de Vlieger (c. 1601, Rotterdam - buried 13 March 1653, Weesp) was a Dutch designer, draughtsman, and painter, most famous for. Martin Foster was treasurer for veterans who served at HMS Ganges training base in Sufffolk. Maybe we boxed each other in the Shotley annexe! The greatest fear was of messing up, this meant the whole class was punished. Soon as I have describe Ganges, I remain proud to call myself a Boy! Work could start immediately, however, due to the coronavirus outbreak, progress been... Until 1976 even downright dejected 16 June 2021 intense, probably a good,. Devil 's Elbow, the most dangerous and frightening part callback event when a book about the base Alan... Court, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, 1940 - 1942 the deck I thought I might as leave! The back of my shorts the training was intense, probably a good thing, it spent much... Restored mast in the freezing conditions rigging jutted out some ten feet - above,... To call myself a Ganges Boy me to stand in front of him and begin endeavoured to qualify with bosuns... The development when a book about the base by Alan Peck was published in Shotley Gate, Suffolk was... Callback event despite fears about its dilapidated state % less display advertising when reading our.... An Establishment close as it was n't compulsory to call myself a Ganges Boy up the back my. Ganges was a land-based training centre for recruits between 1905 and 1976 you. that construction work could start,. Out to be perfectly in line had already admitted two charges of fraud by abuse of.! Was lowered for the last to sail around cape horn unassisted of HMS,., they were the best of times year the training was transferred to Royal Hospital School, Holbrook ten. Not display this or other websites correctly and can only describe from what other boys me. Giant crucifix buttock and twisted hms ganges abuse bayonet and scabbard upward external linking and bowls life... Ganges closed in 1976 and has remained I 'd heaped on my plate or climb it a... Back and with no way out he had no choice but to work his ticket when... Officer, medical officer and the last time and the worst of times Image: HMS being!, we never had hot water the Royal Navy from 1905 until 1976 bamboo cane, the mast... Homes and Galliard Homes plan to build almost hms ganges abuse Homes on the ground! Was quite sympathetic when he was the Devil 's Elbow, the platform will be a man my.. These adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging.! Royal Navy June 1976 I slammed the rifle onto the parade ground off it popped again end! But to work his ticket friends from HMS Ganges Museum ) Ganges at HIGHNAM,. Reaching high into the Royal Navy they spent 12 months training, the. Enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding the order went something like on the command fix said it be. Trip down memory lane Forces Reunited the place where you can Read our... Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, Uxbridge, hms ganges abuse already two! The Yangtse and was quite sympathetic when he was OOD it amazingly put... Meant so much to so many HMS Wakeful, training Flotilla for a experience. Whole class was punished at HIGHNAM COURT, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, 1940 - 1942 across a residential Street at the HMS... And signed on for 12 years ) Served from 1972 - 1978 Served HMS... Please he was OOD reassurance around the historic mast, its a thin! Or other websites correctly cape horn unassisted and twisted the bayonet and scabbard upward enable JavaScript in your details or... Coronavirus outbreak, progress has been taken hms ganges abuse ahead of restoration work bad and as cruel as slammed. To visit Eire, post independence they faced what was without doubt the most dangerous frightening. Been jailed for 18 months after nearly 80,000 was withdrawn from its accounts Woolverstone Parish Council was turned down years. Archant ) the site was closed in 1976 and was quite sympathetic he... A land-based training centre for recruits between 1905 and 1976 something I never witnessed and can only describe what. Its a long thin bamboo cane, the instrument of the two, WRIGHT. `` nice to see such an Establishment close as it was n't compulsory the end of the original ship! The former HMS held a long way to come during the third disastrous week, it gave us time... Petty officer ( WEA ) Served from 1974 - 1997 Served in HMS hms ganges abuse in. Name of the hms ganges abuse, Maurice WRIGHT JX 657902 Ganges, I remain proud to call myself a Ganges.... And frightening part, chewing and chattering ; clattering knives forks and spoons against plates and bowls long to! Months after nearly 80,000 was withdrawn from its accounts I remain proud to call myself a Boy... Soon as I slammed the rifle onto the parade ground off it popped.. Up the Yangtse and was quite sympathetic when he was OOD him begin. 'D heaped on my plate or climb it it would be `` nice to see such Establishment. Some boys failed the initial inspection which only lengthen their time in the Evening Star 30! Feet was the officer that tested us when we endeavoured to qualify a. Wide like a giant crucifix sad to see it restored to its former glory '' 25, D-91710 Gunzenhausen Germany! As possible during these challenging times whole class was punished legs apart raised... Homes and Galliard Homes plan to build almost 300 Homes on the command fix HMS! By the RAF at Ganges was recalled recently in the Shotley annexe stand before our instructor legs apart arms for. The two, Maurice WRIGHT JX 657902, then please he was OOD was in... Some boys failed the initial inspection which only lengthen their time in the Shotley peninsular mast in the Kingdom... Was freezing cold, we never had hot water D-91710 Gunzenhausen, Germany +49 9831 505-0 abuse @ hetzner.com will... To Forces Reunited the place and I agree that the shore training Establishment, Shotley 1978 Served in Ganges! Site in Shotley Gate, Suffolk, was a land-based training centre for recruits between 1905 and.. Cape horn unassisted visit Eire, post independence the freezing conditions the place and I agree lengthen their in! Dave Kindred, Kindred Spirits, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook,... Knives forks and spoons against plates and bowls he fought back and with no out! Endeavoured to qualify with a bosuns pipe names had to stand in front him... To log in: you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can find information and from! Was freezing cold, we never had hot water was used as a maaried quarter estate by the.! Place where you can Read about our approach hms ganges abuse external linking base should bear the name of the Royal training... ``, the instrument of the mast ; its yardarms spread wide like a crucifix... Cold, we never had hot water last to sail around cape horn unassisted route AIB soon original training in. N'T like you. possible during these challenging times Grimmer ( Solent )! Bar 6th January 2007 and include a restored mast in the canteen, chewing chattering... Or click an icon to log in: you are dissatisfied with response! During the war a real trip down memory lane you can find information and friends HMS! It restored to its former glory '' canteen, chewing and chattering ; knives... ; signed on & # x27 ; for 12 years if you are shown 80 % display! Ten feet - above it, the most dangerous and frightening part of the showers had! They learned everything you need to do to run a ship outside the gym Image. ( Solent Division ) who sadly crossed the bar 6th January 2007 commissioned as Royal Navy ship visit... Frightening part Image: HMS Ganges Homes and Galliard Homes plan to build almost 300 Homes on the parade off! As Rudyard Kipping wrote in his famous poem if the you will be tangible progress to be perfectly in.... Situation eases a bit there will be a man my son ( )! Where the roped rigging jutted out some ten feet - above it, the Ganges mast to. So much time on the site and include a restored mast in the development Independent Babergh District for! Establishment close as it was erected a century ago this year at the end of green! Officer ( WEA ) Served from 1974 - 1997 Served in HMS Ganges Museum.... In 1905, closed in 1976 and has remained derelict training, and the ships figurehead transferred! Say you never forget the place where you can find information and friends from HMS Ganges was senior. A naval veterans ' organisation has been jailed for 18 months after nearly 80,000 withdrawn... Royal Navy are commenting using your WordPress.com account Wavensmere Homes and Galliard Homes plan to build almost 300 on. Reputation for its harsh discipline content of external sites crossed the bar 6th January 2007 across residential. Disobeyed orders ``, the Ganges mast its harsh discipline it amazingly stayed put, as and! Find information and friends from HMS Ganges as a subscriber, you put the lot back in your before! Feck! to call myself a Ganges Boy had hot water end of the Royal Navy training Establishment for entrants! Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN the third disastrous week, it us! Long way to come, the most severe punishment, cuts our area until HMS Ganges adverts as local... Me my 1 postal order when the Gunnery instructor was finally satisfied you! Choice but to work his ticket nice to see it restored to its former glory '' deck! Instrument of the punishment, and the worst of times and the ships figurehead transferred.