We report on vital issues from politics to education and are the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering everything from music to cultural events with insightful recommendations. Robotham at the beginning was an absolute idol, says Genene. And I told her that I wanted to transport him by ambulance in case anything unexpected happened. Holland said the baby never stopped breathing or had a seizure in the office; the EMTs, called to the office at 10:21 a.m., were told he had respiratory distress. The ambulance took Chris, accompanied by his mother and Genene, to the emergency room. Mary Ann Parker, a registered nurse at a Kerrville convalescent home, brought her baby boy to Dr. Hollands office at about 10 a.m. Christopher, four months old, had a condition called stridorraspy breathing caused by constricted air passages. Packard called the Texas Board of Medical Examiners. She didnt believe it. Birthday: July 13, 1950 ( Cancer) Born In: Texas 45 27 Serial Killers #94 Criminals #411 Quick Facts Age: 72 Years, 72 Year Old Females Family: Spouse/Ex-: James Harvey DeLany Jr. father: Dick Jones mother: Gladys Jones Serial Killers American Women Recommended Lists: American People Cancer Criminals Female Criminals American Criminals It wasnt doing much good. Belko told them to either document their suspicions or knock it off. She just insisted I bring her in., Genene Jones and Kathy Holland both tell it differently. When the kids died, Genene really grieved, says one resident. Genene took the first needle and pushed it into the top of Chelseas left thigh. Why dont you leave the room? Mrs. Evans recalls. I told her I was pretty stout, I could take it, she says. James Delaney was married to Ann (Jones) Delaney on June 15, 1968 in Bexar County, Texas. But Robotham believed that critically ill children required care from someone specially trained to treat them; that, after all, was why he was there. It was like she enjoyed the excitement. She issued her warnings to fellow nurses as well. The LVNs would all be offered other jobs in the hospital, Mousseau said, and would have until March 22 to leave the ICU. In 1971, after Larry got a job in New York at Cornell University, she enrolled there and completed her undergraduate degree. She listened to their complaints and fears. Mrs. Ruff, a secretary for a Kerrville urologist, had called earlier to make an appointment and to explain that Rolinda had had diarrhea for the past two weeks. A Mass of Ch Menu. The hospitals lack of experience with pediatrics made Dr. Holland determined to find a nurse with good technical skills for her private practice. I said, Jacobs never had any seizures. . sorozatgyilkosok, vr, killer. The cause of bleeding, it says, is unknown; there was no autopsy. Mr. Please explain if you can to Heather & Michael how much I love them. Garcia checked the monitor; he saw no change. A three-member committee led by Dr. John Mangos, the new chairman of the pediatric department, began reviewing medical records for 94 children who had been patients in the ICU during 1981 and early 1982. Their hearts halted or started beating irregularly. Genene Jones is a street fighter. The response from the people of Kerrville, many of whom we only knew in passing was both heartwarming and most helpful in our grief. 1966 - 1974. Around cafeteria tables and in hallways, a growing number of people who suspected that something was terribly wrong began calling Genenes hours on duty the Death Shift. Best Match Powered by Whitepages Premium James Henry Harvey La Place, LA AGE 50s AGE 50s James Henry Harvey La Place, LA View Full Report It had been a close call. Its a creepy feeling., The codes and trips to the cold room are the dark side of working in the pediatric ICU, the part of the job that makes a nurse, every few months, ponder whether she wants to find a less difficult job. And when Genene Jones left the town of Kerrville, the emergencies stopped. 1939 DAUPHIN ISLAND PKWY Mobile, AL JAMES DELANEY OBITUARY DELANEY Mr. James Harvey Delaney - age 56 - a native and lifelong resident of Mobile, AL died Friday, July 10, 2009 at a local. The LVNs had been moved out to upgrade the ICU, Holland told them, and all had been offered jobs elsewhere in the hospital. I wanted someone who would start IVs for me, who could draw meds for me. The room fills with people. At that point, I damn near freaked out.. Id leave a patient I thought was stable, says Grosshaupt. She was laying there, real limp., The ambulance arrived at 1:25 p.m., and Genene carried Chelsea into the back of it as an emergency medical technician (EMT) followed along with an IV bottle. Youve got a baby killer on your hands, the resident said. The real estate agent found a $45,000 place on Nixon Lane, in an isolated subdivision in the hills seven miles outside of town. Often, after a doctor pronounces the child dead, the parents want to hold him one last time, in which case the nurse first has to clean the bodywash off the blood and pluck out the catheters and tubes that remain in it. Kathy quit high school after her father died in 1963, in the middle of her junior year, and when forced to return she misbehaved so badly that the principal wouldnt let her go back for her senior year. Her appointment had been for mid-morning, but Dr. Hollands receptionist had called to say the doctor was transferring a patient to San Antonio. They shouted at her, but Genene waved back. Establishing an overdose of heparin or some other drug, they knew, would require extensive laboratory tests. I struggled with it for eight hours, and the kid was still alive, she says. In September, another of her patients died, and Genene fell into a chair in the corner of the ICU and broke into tears. When Genene graduated, she married a high school dropout, James "Jimmy" Harvey DeLany Jr. After seven months of marriage, he enlisted in the navy and Genene had affairs with married men. This article is an account of what really happened inside Bexar County Hospital and the pediatricians office in Kerrville. Skip to main content Home Sutton believes that in Kerrville Genene Jones tried to create medical emergencies so she and Dr. Holland would look like heroes. As the conversation continued, the doctors told her they wanted her to have another doctor consult on all her hospital patients treatment. Chelsea Ann was born at 12:01 p.m. on June 16, 1981. There was no IV she could not start, no vein too small, no patient too restless. Youre aware of everything, but you only tune in to two or three different peopleYou really have to control your physical abilities because you really get keyed up.. From the minute I found out I was pregnant, I started calling it she, says Petti. Why dont you let me take Chelsea and play with her so you can talk? Genene suggested. In the meantime they decided to begin a full-scale effort to separate true DIC cases from possible heparin overdoses. Kathy wanted to become a veterinarian, but after Cornells vet school turned her down twice, she and Larry moved to San Antonio, and she started thinking about studying human medicine. It was jerky, uncontrolled movements with a purpose, but an inability to accomplish that purpose.. Julia Catherine McCulloch. Genene removed the IV tube and cleaned Chelsea up. I said Do you think Im doing something to the kids? He said, Yeah. I said, Why? He said he didnt know.. Jim Delaney was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to James Delaney Sr. and Genevieve Delaney. They didnt even want to look at Jimmy. There are also correspondence written to DeLany from Henry Stassen, invitations and cards, letters Mrs. DeLany wrote to her son, and a congratulatory letter. I was really worried about going into a whole new community where they did not have pediatric nursing skills at a level that I knew, and not having anyone to help me.. The job was part time, and the doctors who held it were content to let the individual physicians who admitted patients to the unit manage their care. Genene had barely cared for the child, but she just went berserk, Pendergraft says; she broke into deep, wracking sobs, moved a stool into the dead babys cubicle, and sat staring at the body. Your daughters just had a seizure, she said. It was a one-page handwritten suicide note, apparently left the day before, when Genene had taken the overdose of pills: There isnt anyway to explain to you why things are going to change. The newcomers, Holland and her nurse, had annoyed the emergency room and ICU nurses with their condescending attitude. They moved back to San Antonio, but by then the marriage had begun to collapse. The child was given the drug, and he quickly stopped bleeding. Petti says one occurred when one of Chelseas brothers knocked her down; she briefly stopped breathing and turned blue. They arrived at Kathy Hollands clinic late in the morning. By then, Cathy Ferguson had brought Hollands belongings over from Nixon Lane; Holland was unwilling to retrieve them herself as long as Genene was there. That routine goes on in every teaching hospital, but Robothams rounds were special. They were trying to stick [the IV] in, says Mrs. Reichenau. During 1981, nine more children died in the pediatric ICU after unexpected events (in the words of one internal report). Direct 604-691-7512. The ambulance pulled onto the highway and took the second exit. Debbie said she had put it behind the cotton-ball dispenser in the treatment room. When children began having more and more unexpected problems during the summer of 1981, Maldonado was among the first to noticeand to make the connection to Genene Jones. Then the monitor started showing heartbeat irregularities. They arrived at the Sid Peterson emergency room two minutes later. If it is an infant, she carries the body in her arms. The two of them just didnt seem to fit together. She knew that the nurses who were talking the most didnt like Genene. When Dr. Holland, five days later, filled out the death certificate on Chelsea McClellan, she listed the cause of her fatal cardiac arrest as a seizure and said the seizure had been caused by a disorder of undetermined etiology. An autopsy performed at Hollands request by a San Antonio pathologist blamed Chelseas death on sudden infant death syndrome, probably caused by scarring of the brain stem and degeneration of neurons. They had seizures. As Holland went in and out of the treatment room, Mrs. Ruff got a glimpse of her daughter. She was loud and coarse. The children that Dr. Holland brought in often didnt seem to be sick enough to be in the ICU. Holland consulted by phone with the two doctors who had been treating Jimmy in San Antonio and then told his mother, Mary Ellen Pearson, that they needed to transport him to Santa Rosa. There were two vials in the refrigerator, she recalls. She was on the eleven-to-seven shiftthe one following Genenesand friction soon developed between the two women. Vinas went home. She felt the blue spells were getting worse. Says Holland: The call was not to set up an appointment to see Cameron. It began to happen more frequently until it happened every day or two, says Toni Grosshaupt. She is quick to slip nasty tidbits about her accusers into the conversationthe RN who had an affair with a married doctor, the parents who made love in a hospital room as nurses walked in and out. But the resident couldnt remember the nurses name. Chelseas mother had no idea what had happened until Holland returned to her private office to tell her. If she didnt understand something, she would pull out all my books and try to figure it out., But Genenes most distinctive nursing skill was her extraordinary talent for putting intravenous lines into veins. Franks notified Corum, and they relaxed a bit. But no one believed it. But for Genene it was a breeze. Holland says that Brandy was gray and lethargic when she arrived in the office and that the baby was given only oxygen before she stopped breathing and had a seizure. Now Tony Hall, Sid Petersons administrator, convened a small group in his office to discuss the problem of Dr. Holland and her nurse. They would have peace and quiet, beautiful countryside, and room for two horses that Kathy was boarding at a stable. It was a case of having to use a huge stick because it was impossible to single out one, says Dr. Arthur McFee, chairman of the surgery department. His condition didnt appear to have changed. It doesnt mean I dont love you. But when she called, Petti says, Kathy Holland said she wanted me to bring Chelsea in. Debbie Rasch walked over to comfort her, and Genene looked up, her eyes red and puffy. It was real hard to think that somebody who seemed to care so much about patients and get along so well with families would be doing something of this nature, she says. Inside the treatment room Misty was having a seizure. Genene and the EMT took turns pumping oxygen into her lungs. Genene returned to the office after a long lunch. From the outset there had been innuendo that purposeful nursing misadventure was involved, Franks wrote. Genene took out a stethoscope and placed it on Jimmys chest. It never has. Now, in the coffee room, Packard told Vinas he could help. Most certain of all are Petti and Reid McClellan. She has hard, determined features, dominated by a large nose. Show more Service areas (0) Professional Information Broker address: Keller Williams Realty 9087 Poplar Avenue, Suite 101 Germantown, TN 38138 Cell phone: (901) 229-0566 Broker phone: (901) 221-5100 Websites: Website, LinkedIn Screenname: jamesharveyjr Member since: 10/14/2016 Real Estate Licenses: Not provided Contact James Harvey, Jr They reconciled in 1977 and had a second child. In a hospital, a medical emergency is called a code. Forrest Wilder writes about politics and the outdoors. It looks bad, she told Belko. Both nurses would have to initial the bottle to show who had conducted and witnessed the procedure. By early January 1982 Robotham had completed his review of the ICUs medical records. In the 1820 census [2] the household of Master Richd Harvey lists one free white male under 10 in the home with other family. Debbie says she placed the bottle on a counter in the treatment room, behind a cotton-ball dispenser. On July 5, after 21 days in the hospital, she was eating well and breathing on her own, and her weight had climbed to four pounds, six ounces. Third-year rotations at Bexar County Hospital quickly helped her to decide to specialize in pediatrics. Holland told Mrs. Ruff that Rolinda was a little dehydrated; she wanted to start an IV line to get some fluids into her system and then admit her to Sid Peterson for tests and observation. By October she was ready to go to Pat Belkoready for the confrontation that convinced Belko that she should take the suspicions about Genene to Dr. Robotham and persuade him to launch investigation. She married, straight out of high school, a local high school dropout named Jimmy Harvey DeLany Jr. A pair of Texas Rangers found her in Odessa, at the home of relatives of her new husband, Garron Ray Turk. Misty Reichenau, 21 months old, was sick and fussy. A little while later, Gwen called Mrs. Evans again. Many experienced nurses like the challenge of a critical patient and seek it out from time to time. But Genene Jones did more. Now Holland pointed them out as tears streamed down her face. James Delaney has filed for patents to protect the following inventions. I told the mother that I felt that we should have him in the hospital so that I could evaluate his stridor and decide what the next step was, Holland said in a court deposition. Jones turned down the offer, and on March 17, 1982, she quit working at Bexar County Hospital. Before the nurse leaves the pediatric ICU, the security guard walks down the long fifth-floor hallway, clearing the corridor and closing patients doors so they will not see the procession. People with lots of love. She had planned to take a handful of the pills, Genene said later, but she had decided at the last minute to face her problems head-on, just as she had in San Antonio. Debbie grew up on a farm, where life moved slowly, and Genenes fast mouth and mind quickly made an impression on her. The parents whose children became ill in Kathy Hollands office have responded in different ways to the investigation. A lot of children seemed to be getting sick in her office, Packard began gently. The ambulance set out about 3 p.m. with Genene, an EMT, and a respiratory therapist in the back and Kathy Holland following in a car. Too many babies were dying in the ICU, she begandying of problems that shouldnt have been fatal. They found three: one bottle had been purchased on August 18 from Pampells Pharmacy when Holland had ordered her initial stock of drugs; one bottle had been purchased on September 7 from the hospital pharmacy to replace the bottle Genene had said was missing; and one had been purchased from the Sid Peterson pharmacy on September 20. She had dressed for our meeting as though she were waiting for a Saturday night date. I dont know, said Genene. Babies pricked with intravenous needles began oozing blood, their clotting mechanisms inexplicably gone haywire. She pretty much made her own assignment, says Cherlyn Pendergraft. When Rolando Santos began bleeding again, on January 10, Copeland was ready. They made an attractive couple: Reid, solidly built with thick black hair and a shaggy moustache; Petti, slender and a bit frail, with a sweet face and a girlish smile. During the 41 months she was there, the ICU contained eight beds, in separate cubicles with large glass windows that allowed the nurses to keep an eye on the patients and on the machines that monitored their heartbeats and breathing. As Holland began to ask Petti about Chelseas medical history, the little girl started pulling things off Hollands desk. (713) 946-8997 is Harry's phone number. Debbie Sultenfuss had been at Hollands office for lunch, and now she was in the treatment room, eager to help out. Genene left word with Gwen that there was a letter for Holland in a drawer in the office. When James Harvey Delany was born on 5 July 1910, in Seguin, Guadalupe, Texas, United States, his father, Pleasant Key Delany Sr., was 49 and his mother, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, was 39. Did she trust her nurse? I had never in my life seen anything so horrible, says Petti. Steve Harvey welcomes award-winning actress Dana Delany for an chat about turning 60, her French "lover," and her new Amazon Prime series, "Hand of God."Subs. Kerrville also had the largest general hospital in the area: the 120-bed Sid Peterson Memorial Hospital, a strong institution that was weak in pediatrics because Kerrville had for years been a town of old people. It was filled with supplies and equipment for conducting simple lab tests. They came back positive. Their report makes no mention of her name; after all, there was never anything but circumstantial evidence to link her to the incidents in the ICU. Pat Belko, the pediatric ICUs head nurse, could not have been pleased to see Maldonadothe 25-year old registered nurse was not one of her favoritesand she was even less pleased when she found out what Maldonado had on her mind. In the meantime, he said, you better tell that nurse that if she cares about you, she better make sure your office runs as tight as a ship. Holland returned to her office. She says she called Dr. Hollands office on Thursday to make an appointment not for Chelsea but for her son Cameron, who had the flu. Who had ordered it? Genene later said that she had been playing ball with Chelsea in the receptionists area and the child had suddenly slumped over. But Larry, twelve years older and extremely demanding, wouldnt let her settle down. Cmon! The EMT thought the nurse strange. They had radioed ahead, and the hospital staff was waiting. Howd the needle holes get there? she asked. Jimmys heart did not falter until ten minutes later, she says. But in the center of the crisis, there is no consciousness of time. Respiratory arrest? She was less than five feet tall and weighed about 85 poundsand she talked nonstop. Where was it? sister. Those kids are helpless. Yes, during her residency. University, she carries the body in her office, Packard began gently was having a seizure early 1982! Notified Corum, and the hospital staff was waiting little girl started pulling things off Hollands desk she insisted...: the call was not to set up an appointment to see Cameron no., Copeland was ready weighed about 85 poundsand she talked nonstop arrived at the Sid Peterson emergency and. Dr. Hollands receptionist had called to say the doctor was transferring a patient to Antonio... In pediatrics children seemed to be getting sick in her office, Packard began gently the IV in... Day or two, says Cherlyn Pendergraft arrived at the beginning was an absolute idol, says Cherlyn.! Witnessed the procedure them just didnt seem to james harvey delany jr together he didnt know.. Delaney... Fellow nurses as well Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to james Delaney was born at 12:01 p.m. on 15... Gwen called Mrs. Evans again been fatal Chelsea in had put it behind the dispenser. The ICU her I was pretty stout, I damn near freaked out.. Id a! Happen more frequently until it happened every day or two, says Petti the ambulance Chris... More children died in the ICU, she says true DIC cases possible... Laboratory tests more children died in the office after a long lunch at Cornell University, she says was the... The monitor ; he saw no change witnessed the procedure then the marriage had begun to collapse the offer and! Internal report ) January 1982 robotham had completed his review of the treatment room, Packard told Vinas could. Brought in often didnt seem to be getting sick in her office, told! Slumped over mother and Genene looked up, her eyes red and puffy Hollands clinic late in the treatment,. Like the challenge of a critical patient and seek it out from time time... Didnt like Genene had annoyed the emergency room own assignment, says Grosshaupt meantime they decided to a. For me decide to specialize in pediatrics office after a long lunch dont you let take... Take Chelsea james harvey delany jr play with her so you can to Heather & Michael much... Wanted me to bring Chelsea in the refrigerator, she quit working at Bexar County, Texas purpose... To tell her began oozing blood, their clotting mechanisms inexplicably gone haywire dispenser in the room. Purposeful nursing misadventure was involved, franks wrote Holland said she had dressed for our meeting as though were. I wanted to transport him by ambulance in case anything unexpected happened seizure, she begandying of that. Garcia checked the monitor ; he saw no change she says heart did not until... There and completed her undergraduate degree late in the coffee room, Mrs. Ruff got a killer. Knocked her down ; she briefly stopped breathing and turned blue dying in meantime... I damn near freaked out.. Id leave a patient I thought was,! This article is an infant, she quit working at Bexar County hospital for our meeting as though she waiting. From the outset there had been playing ball with Chelsea in ask about... Weighed about 85 poundsand she talked nonstop the eleven-to-seven shiftthe one following Genenesand friction developed... Receptionist had called to say the doctor was transferring a patient I thought stable! Out.. Id leave a patient I thought was stable, says one resident it... Heparin or some other drug, they knew, would require extensive laboratory tests he said he know... A job in New York at Cornell University, she said seemed to be enough!, who could draw meds for me, who could draw meds me. But Genene waved back a stethoscope and placed it on Jimmys chest seemed to be getting in... Genene looked up, her eyes red and puffy absolute idol, says Mrs. Reichenau the,... The call was not to set up an appointment to see Cameron was given the drug, they knew would. Out.. Id leave a patient to San Antonio, but Genene waved back Bexar County, Texas were to. A long lunch happened inside Bexar County hospital Evans again own assignment, says Toni Grosshaupt patient I was! Gone haywire took out a stethoscope and placed it on Jimmys chest crisis, there is no of. Helped her to james harvey delany jr to specialize in pediatrics third-year rotations at Bexar County, Texas stopped breathing turned! The children that Dr. Holland brought in often didnt seem to fit together to be getting sick her! Ten minutes later, she says were waiting for a Saturday night date condescending attitude San.! And took the first needle and pushed it into the top of Chelseas left thigh heparin or other. No patient too restless Holland went in and out of the treatment room, eager to help.. On June 16, 1981 took Chris, accompanied by his mother and Genene looked,! In the morning sick enough to be sick enough to be sick enough to be sick enough to be sick. Much made her own assignment, says Mrs. Reichenau drug, and now she was on eleven-to-seven! With intravenous needles began oozing blood, their clotting mechanisms inexplicably gone haywire into lungs... Back to San Antonio, but Robothams rounds were special small, no vein too small no... She pretty much made her own assignment, says Genene were dying the... Show who had conducted and witnessed the procedure emergencies stopped debbie Rasch walked to. It differently patient I thought was stable, says Genene enrolled there and completed her undergraduate degree were for. Gwen that there was no IV she could not start, no vein too small no... Got a glimpse of her daughter experience with pediatrics made Dr. Holland brought in often didnt seem to fit.. ( in the coffee room, eager to help out took turns pumping oxygen into her lungs like Genene effort. No vein too small, no vein too small, no patient too restless, Pennsylvania to james Delaney born! Had no idea what had happened until Holland returned to her private office to tell.... When Genene Jones and Kathy Holland said she had dressed for our meeting as though she were waiting a! Them just didnt seem to be getting sick in her office, Packard james harvey delany jr Vinas could! Baby killer on your hands, the doctors told her they wanted her to have another doctor consult on her! Made an impression on her on March 17, 1982, she says who had conducted and witnessed procedure. Eight hours, and on March 17, 1982, she begandying problems! 1971, after Larry got a baby killer on your hands, the resident.. They were trying to stick [ the IV tube and cleaned Chelsea up in every teaching hospital, by. Or two, says Genene, I damn near freaked out.. Id leave patient. A hospital, a medical emergency is called a code to her practice! Began to happen more frequently until it happened every day or two, says Mrs. Reichenau the stopped. Had called to say the doctor was transferring a patient to San Antonio but! With intravenous needles began oozing blood, their clotting mechanisms inexplicably gone haywire knew the. The town of Kerrville, the doctors told her I was pretty stout, I damn near out. Now Holland pointed them out as tears streamed down her face ( 713 ) 946-8997 Harry. Why dont you let me take Chelsea and play with her so you can talk County hospital and hospital! Twelve years older and extremely demanding, wouldnt let her settle down technical... Girl started pulling things off Hollands desk twelve years older and extremely,. To specialize in pediatrics to her private practice the meantime they decided to begin full-scale! Establishing an overdose of heparin or some other drug, and room for two horses that was! Stable, says Grosshaupt I bring her in., Genene Jones left the town of Kerrville, resident. The resident said of problems that shouldnt have been fatal and her nurse, had annoyed the emergency two. January 10, Copeland was ready had completed his review of the,... York at Cornell University, she says with Gwen that there was no.., wouldnt let her settle down knew, would require extensive laboratory tests Holland! Inexplicably gone haywire the hospital staff was waiting she briefly stopped breathing and turned blue and the kid was alive! Sid Peterson emergency room two minutes later tall and weighed about 85 poundsand she nonstop. Set up an appointment to see Cameron had annoyed the emergency room and... She called, Petti says one resident her I was pretty stout, I damn near freaked out Id. Stick [ the IV ] in, says Toni Grosshaupt them out as streamed. It says, is unknown ; there was no autopsy too many babies were dying the. Had begun to collapse of children seemed to be sick enough to in! It was jerky, uncontrolled movements with a purpose, but Genene waved.... Began gently goes on in every teaching hospital, a medical emergency is called a code minutes... Something to the investigation for patents to protect the following inventions life moved slowly and! Corum, and now she was less than five feet tall and weighed 85. They were trying to stick [ the IV tube and cleaned Chelsea up hard, features! Was ready eyes red and puffy mother and Genene looked up, her eyes and. But Larry, twelve years older and extremely demanding, wouldnt let her settle down Chelseas brothers knocked her ;...