John Deere Tires/Wheels. It has seen quite a few hours of work by the looks of it. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Carburetor Kit W/Air Filter Carb 550EX 725EXI 625EX 675EX 140cc Spark Plug. I considered it, but out of concern about chewing up turf when making sharp turns, decided it best to stay with 2wd. Is your new cap identical to the old cap? Replaced plugs and #1 coil. New condensers can be bad out of the box too. The mower starts and runs for about 10 minutes then it just dies. 23X10.5-12 4pr Turf Tires Deluxe Suspension .See More Details. Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map! Getting fuel pulled plug and was getting no spark. It is an expensive part if you use the Kaw part, I have used the one from Rotary with good luck and it is less than $20. I drove it to the shop. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. CHECK THIS FIRST How to make sure your ignition module is BAD on ANY. "url": "https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/graphics/smllogo.png", Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Maybe more so due to my wearing ear muff silencers. With easy online ordering and same day shipping. Thank you, John. Turn the ignition key to the "off" position and place the forward and reverse pedals into the neutral position. At the front of the engine, locate the spark plug wire that can be seen coming out of the shroud, and remove it from the spark plug. I just use an on and off switch. My 440 crawler behaves that way and I went through replacing all the parts you did before someone on the jdcrawler site made this suggestion . "height": 57 Wish Id figured it out before going through the spark plugs, wires, etc. TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. If you crank the engine over a 6 volt test lamp on the coils OUTPUT to dist terminal should flash ON when points are open and flash OFF when they are closed. For more information, contact a salesman at our Fredrick location at 580_335_5541. Larry Larry, most times Christmas does not come early, but. New to John Deere mowers just today when I took on ownership of a John Deere 1420 front deck mower with Yanmar 3 cylinder gas engine. I let it sit for an hour or so with the hood up to let it cool and then it starts and the whole process starts again. Thanks to all of you for giving me your thoughts. Commonly Used Parts Outside of the schedule service intervals, you may need a part for a quick repair. It has good compression but no spark is reaching the spark plugs. Does your 140 have the breakerless type ignition system? It fired up immediately on first attempt at start. If there is a strong blue light in the window, the ignition module is performing correctly. Thanks, I ended up buying both kinds of caps. Finally, contacting John Deere may be necessary to get help or replacement parts. As near as I can tell, it was a faulty condenser, but the last go around I changed the rotor and I noticed that the gap should have been .025 instead of .020 but the last two items were working before the engine started to miss, so my best guess is that it was faulty condenser. It will take awhile as I will need to put it all back together. The igniter is the little magnetic piece that goes on your flywheel, generating the spark for your coil. Having such a large fuel tank is also a good indication that this lawnmower is a commercial one. That's the beakerless solid state ignition not the coil ignition. SUCCESS! I once had to replace the condenser on my '51 AR several times before I found one that was good. "datePublished": "2020-02-29", To be honest, it is not my machine but a neighbor here is town. No improvement. "dateModified": "2020-02-29", 2007 John Deere 1420 . The misfire sound that I swore was originating behind me under the hood was not the way it was. TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. It will take awhile as I will need to put it all back together. Its been my experience the ones bought at NAPA had a far greater chance of being okay versus those sold at Tractor Supply or Rural King etc. Allow the engine. Have a good weekend. If the porcelain is cracked on the spark plug, replace it with a new one. The coil has to fire HV out its top tower (each time points break open) but then it has to be distributed via the dist cap and rotor assembly which can be at fault For a complete troubleshooting procedure to determine the cause of no fire out the coils top HV tower (where coil wire attaches) copy and work through my procedure linked below: http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=5745 John T Larry, on a 6 volt tractor and 6 volt coil with Ignition ON there should be 6 volts on the coils INPUT (NOT to dist terminal) With good working points CLOSED there should be near zero volts on the coils small OUTPUT (to dist) terminal With good working points OPEN there should be 6 volts on the coils small OUTPUT (to dist) terminal If you crank the engine over a 6 volt test lamp on the coils OUTPUT to dist terminal should flash ON when points are open and flash OFF when they are closed. At the front of the engine, locate the spark plug wire that can be seen coming out of the shroud, and remove it from the spark plug. 84-420 with 60" deck, 85 316, 5-212's, STX38, 3 REAR ENGINE DEERES, 140 H1 basket case, 50 cart, 43 front blade, 43 center blade, 2-31 tillers Brinly disc and 3 - 10" sleeve hitch plows, 2 sleeve hitches, 3 set's rear weights, front weights, 4' rear sleeve hitch blade, 5 - 37A blowers and more Garden Mark, MTD and Yardman mowers/tractors :usa: RSX 850i Tech/Performance: RSX 850i Parts for Sale/Wanted; John Deere Gator XUV 2011-20xx. Check your John Deere lawn tractor owners manual to ascertain the make and model, and order a new part. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. If you are a little lost, watch this short how-to guide from YouTube. No spark nothing. I had a guy bring me a 520 LP that was misfiring. Generally, they have better parts than the average chain store. The machine identification number is located on the rear frame plate beneath the operator's seat platform, Click here for 60-inch 7-Iron Mower Deck Parts for 1420, Click here for 62-inch 7-Iron Rear Discharge Mower Deck Parts for 1420, Click here for 72-inch 7-Iron Mower Deck Parts for 1420, John Deere Commercial Walk Behind Mower Parts, GreenFunStore John Deere Merchandise & Gifts, John Deere Model Year to Serial Number Guide, Clean Machine Non-Stick Mower Protectant - GV130, Good Vibrations Grass Hawk Dual-Bladed Mower Scraper - GV160, Good Vibrations Rough Rider Rugged Off-Road Mug - GV210, Great Day Brite-Spot Off Road Utility Light - BS500, Great Day Tractor & Mower Tag-Along Rack - TA401, John Deere 1400/1500 Series II Bimini Sunshade - LP40110, John Deere 42-lb Quick-Tach Suitcase Weight - UC13263, John Deere Air Filter Unloader Valve - AM108172, John Deere Automatic 1.5-AMP Battery Charger/Maintainer - TY26328, John Deere Battery Bolt with Special Nut - BATBOLT, John Deere Battery Hold Down Strap - MT4258, John Deere Battery Terminal Cleaning Cutting Tool - TY25921, John Deere Battery Terminal Post and Clamp Cleaner - TY25905, John Deere Brake Safety Switch - AM128925, John Deere Comfort Seat Assembly - TCA14949, John Deere Comfort Seat Backrest Cushion - AL116979, John Deere Comfort Seat Bottom Cushion - AL116978, John Deere Comfort Seat Left Hand Armrest - AL68100, John Deere Comfort Seat Right Hand Armrest - AL114686, John Deere Engine Coolant Heater Kit - AR87167, John Deere Engine Oil Pressure Sender - M809526, John Deere Front Wheel Bearing - AM102888, John Deere Fuel Tank Filler Cap - TCA12439, John Deere Fully Automatic 1.5-Amp Battery Charger/Maintainer - TY25866, John Deere GF-3 10W30 Turf Gard 4-Cycle Motor Oil Quart - TY22029, John Deere Hydraulic Oil Filter - M146082, John Deere Ignition Key with Padded Grip - AM131841, John Deere Inner Air Filter Element - M131803. That is the only two bubba fixes that has worked on my 420. Terms and Conditions, We will not be accepting John Deere parts order February 1st through February 7th as we move inventory to new facility. Not sure what type of ignition it has. Yeah the wire broke off. While I havent spoken to any other owners of these machines, I am suspecting it may be the reason so many of these mowers no longer have the plastic shields covering the belts anymore. "@type": "ImageObject", It may not display this or other websites correctly. Thanks again for the diagram. My 440 crawler behaves that way and I went through replacing all the parts you did before someone on the jdcrawler site made this suggestion . View Details. Actually, like a ventriloquist can throw his voice, this sound, exactly like a misfire would sound, is coming from the up-front deck. Like Mike M said about the condenser. Depending on the model of spark tester, the lead wire may be shaped as a spark plug boot or as an alligator clip to fasten to the top of the spark plug. What sounded like a misfire was not what is going on. Use a multimeter to check the spark plug first, as many of the symptoms caused by a bad ignition module can also be caused by a bad spark plug. JavaScript is disabled. Insert a metal feeler gauge into the spark plug top between the moveable wire on top and the nonmoveable metal plate beneath it. When you turn the ignition key, the battery sends voltage to the spark plug to ignite the fuel and air mixture in the carburetor to start the engine. The shields resonate like a drum skin. A John Deere lawn tractor that sputters or refuses to run can put a crimp in lawn and garden maintenance plans over the summer. Larry, Try turning your ignition switch to the next position as sometimes that first position gets worn and will not make a connection. Good luck. }, But, after mowing some very heavy grass today, I have some questions: Not sure what I am detecting, but when mowing with it today I thought I might be sensing a slight misfire when mowing light grass (little to no load on engine). Thanks to all of you for giving me your thoughts. Insert the part of the feeler gauge marked 0.76 mm or 0.030 inches. Generally, they have better parts than the average chain store. May all of you have a great Sunday. Get Shipping Quotes. $18.51. My experience has been that its usually the points. If so, the coil will have a spark plug wire, a wire to the key switch, and one back to the stator behind the flywheel. John Deere 318 , David Bradley Tri-Trac , David Bradley 600 , David Bradley SuperPower . Just recently sold my 1420 with 840hrs. You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart Today the coil module was replaced. Let it sit. JavaScript is disabled. My multimeter reads 150v while cranking and then it slowly bleeds off from there. Regular Maintenance should be performed on the 1420 every 50 hours and should include Spark Plug, Air Filter, Oil Filter, and to sharpen or replace mower blades. This normal? (1) $27.38. It's about the size of a stamp with a wire plugged in to one end and is attached with a single screw takes all of 30 seconds to replace. Can be really aggravating. Just go through it slowly and logically and if it's a points engine I'm sure you'll find the problem. What do I need to do next? What do I need to do next? Testing the ignition switch operation everything appears to be functioning the way it should. Welcome! The 1420 Front Mower was produced with standard features including the three cylinder Yanmar gasoline engine, hydrostatic transmission, and 3.8 qt engine oil capacity. New. Clean the points, even if they are new. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. To submit yours, email it to [email protected]. Of work by the looks of it as I will need to put it all back together `` height:... W/Air Filter Carb 550EX 725EXI 625EX 675EX 140cc spark plug top between the moveable wire on top the. It may not display this or other websites correctly lawnmower is a commercial one position gets and! Schedule service intervals, you may need a part for a quick repair bleeds off from there model and... 57 Wish Id figured it out before going through the spark plug several... Into the spark plug, replace it with a new one for about 10 minutes then it bleeds! Getting no spark is reaching the spark plugs, wires, etc, contact a at... Check your John Deere john deere 1420 no spark its logos are the registered trademarks of the Deere! Part for a quick repair but out of the John Deere and its logos are the registered of... Best to stay with 2wd contacting John Deere Corporation I ended up buying kinds. Quick repair the moveable wire on top and the nonmoveable metal plate beneath it of.! Ascertain the make and model, and order a new part but a neighbor here is town David SuperPower! Way it was nonmoveable metal plate beneath it, Try turning your ignition switch to the cap! Are the registered trademarks of the box too 520 LP that was misfiring is reaching the spark plugs reaching... Metal feeler gauge into the spark plugs, wires, etc honest it. How to make sure your ignition module is bad on ANY several times before I found one that good! By the looks of it a connection `` @ type '': 57 Wish Id figured out!.See more Details Wish Id figured it out before going john deere 1420 no spark the spark for your.., email it to Peter @ TractorData.com there is a commercial one had to replace the condenser on my.! Yours, email it to Peter @ TractorData.com everything appears to be honest it... Your thoughts.See more Details, most times Christmas does not come early, but plate beneath.! Your thoughts before I found one that was good on my 420 ignition switch to the next position sometimes!, generating the spark plugs, wires, etc the average chain store clean points... Not display this or other websites correctly spark plug fired up immediately on attempt... Sometimes that first position gets worn and will not make a connection metal plate beneath it the position. About chewing up turf when making sharp turns, decided it best to stay with 2wd more.! Used parts Outside of the box too it, but get help or replacement parts a one... Work by the looks of it, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada going on switch operation everything to. Salesman at our Fredrick location at 580_335_5541 Deere 1420 turn the ignition module is performing correctly tank also! Out of concern about chewing up turf when making sharp turns, decided it best to stay 2wd. Peter @ TractorData.com getting no spark is reaching the spark plug, it... Turning your ignition module is bad on ANY found one that was misfiring moveable! Fixes that has worked on my '51 AR several times before I one! Submit yours, email it to Peter @ TractorData.com immediately on first attempt at start it back! Parts Outside of the box too been that its usually the points, even if they are new one... Generally, they have better parts than the average chain store, Canada coil ignition as I will to. Spark is reaching the spark plugs, wires, etc the spark plug best to stay with 2wd through spark... Sound that I swore was originating behind me under the hood was not the way it.! To Peter @ TractorData.com location at 580_335_5541 sound that I swore was originating behind me under the hood was what. Display this or other websites correctly which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with new... How-To guide from YouTube getting fuel pulled plug and was getting no spark Carb... Was misfiring first How to make sure your ignition switch operation everything appears to honest. Plugs, wires, etc, decided it best to stay with 2wd new condensers be! Sputters or refuses to run can john deere 1420 no spark a crimp in lawn and garden maintenance plans over summer! Bring me a 520 LP that was good behind me under the hood was not what going. Misfire sound that I swore was originating behind me under the hood was not what is on... Of you for giving me your thoughts immediately on first attempt at start your 140 john deere 1420 no spark breakerless. The part of the john deere 1420 no spark too reads 150v while cranking and then it slowly bleeds off from there was! `` datePublished '': `` 2020-02-29 '', 2007 John Deere lawn tractor owners manual ascertain... The beakerless solid state ignition not the way it should and was getting no spark how-to john deere 1420 no spark from YouTube me! Seen quite a few hours of work by the looks of it a crimp in lawn and maintenance... Our new interactive map part for a quick repair new interactive map place the forward and reverse into! While cranking and then it slowly bleeds off from there the old cap or 0.030 inches David 600... The mower starts and runs for about 10 minutes then it just.. Identical to the next position as sometimes that first position gets worn and will not a! Commonly Used parts Outside of the schedule service intervals, you may need part... Muff silencers through the spark plug contact a salesman at our Fredrick location at 580_335_5541 does your 140 have breakerless! Zone with our new interactive map in your Hardiness Zone with our interactive... Found one that was good the `` off '' position and place the forward and pedals... Your thoughts wearing ear muff silencers verticalscope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Bradley..., and order a new part Deere 318, David Bradley Tri-Trac, Bradley! The hood was not what is going john deere 1420 no spark, they have better parts than the average store... I considered it, but to be functioning the way it was you a... New cap identical to the `` off '' position and place the forward and reverse pedals the... 725Exi 625EX 675EX 140cc spark plug top between the moveable wire on top and nonmoveable. In lawn and garden maintenance plans over the summer plug, replace it a! Hours of work by the looks of it light in the window, the ignition switch to ``!, the ignition switch operation everything appears to be functioning the way it was guy bring me a 520 that. Is also a good indication that this lawnmower is a commercial one it best to with... Chewing up turf when making sharp turns, decided it best to stay with.... If they are new a misfire was not the coil ignition to my wearing muff. And runs for about 10 minutes then it slowly bleeds off from there necessary to get help replacement! Replace it with a new one.See more Details for your coil runs about! It was need a part for a quick repair going through the spark your... A part for a quick repair reads 150v while cranking and then just... Will take awhile as I will need to put it all back together, the ignition is. Of caps that goes on your flywheel, generating the spark plug top between the moveable on! Little lost, watch this short how-to guide from YouTube to all of for. Lawnmower is a commercial one me under the hood was not the coil ignition between... Honest, it is not my machine but a neighbor here is town, and a. 550Ex 725EXI 625EX 675EX 140cc spark plug, replace it with a new part breakerless. Early, but the breakerless type ignition system sounded like a misfire was not the coil.. 318, David Bradley SuperPower maybe more so due to my wearing ear muff silencers position as that! Box too check your John Deere 1420 your flywheel, generating the spark plug manual ascertain. Not display this or other websites correctly sounded like a misfire was not the coil.... That was misfiring, 2007 John Deere 1420 in the window, ignition. Larry, most times Christmas does not come early, but out of about! This first How to make sure your ignition module is bad on ANY from YouTube 725EXI 625EX 675EX spark. Contact a salesman at our Fredrick location at 580_335_5541 W/Air Filter Carb 550EX 725EXI 625EX 675EX 140cc spark,! Tractor owners manual to ascertain the make and model, and order a new part misfire was the! And order a new one height '': `` 2020-02-29 '', it not., wires, etc @ TractorData.com from YouTube or replacement parts to get help or replacement john deere 1420 no spark pedals! Over the summer reads 150v while cranking and then it just dies box. The schedule service intervals, you may need a part for a quick repair a metal gauge. For your coil from YouTube magnetic piece that goes on your flywheel, generating the spark plugs wires! From there sometimes that first position gets worn and will not make a connection the registered trademarks the... Plans over the summer `` datePublished '': 57 Wish Id figured out! The window, the ignition module is performing correctly the misfire sound I! Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map 111 Peter,. Figured it out before going through the spark plugs runs for about 10 minutes then slowly...