The Rauschelbach family has owned Arthur Bryants Barbeque since 1982 (the Bryant family owns the building). Just ask my mom, who subsisted on those bad salads as a vegetarian during that era. His mom died and dad had a stroke in 2012, and he took over as owner. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Enter dates to see prices. Founded in 1977, the chain focused on gourmet burgers. in 1977. Sometimes it's just good nostalgia. When beef was rationed during World War II, Helen fried up the more readily available chicken for 35-cent dinners. Find Related Places. Two boys getting ready to enjoy Worlds of Fun in 1975. The restaurant closed sometime in the late 1970s we think. Yelp. The family put up a new building on the north side of the property in 1980 and tore down the roadhouse for parking. A blog about Kansas City restaurants and food. I sat at the bar and was helped immediately. The Mirabiles added the laid-back Marco Polos Italian Market, a carryout and eat-in deli and grocery operation, in 1984. Jasper's 68 years old. Customers put their heaping plates of meat on Formica-topped tables with plastic squeeze bottles of sauce at the ready. Digital Access - Annual. 801chophouse.com. The founders were Ruth Coleen Bond and Lawrence "Pat" Moran. It was home to the Huston Family, but . Later George would threaten to take the son off the sign if he got irritated with Ollie. Norton OH at the best online prices at eBay! If you were looking for cheap hamburgers, fries and shakes during the 1960s, 70s, and early 80s, local burger chain Smaks was a popular choice. The menu still includes burritos, enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas and sopapillas (puffy pastries using house-made dough served with warm honey and sugared cinnamon), along with items that Hamilton added such as pina quesadillas, espinaca dip, chili verde and veggie soft shell tacos. Bryants - my father would bring home brisket. Rare Historical Photos Of old Mobile, Alabama From Early 20th Century. Best known for: All 10 cuts of steak are equally popular and many customers buy them to take home and grill. two places you might like that is pretty tasty. Jasper's Italian Restaurant has served its family . It owns me., We just use food to pay our bills but we are in the people business, he said. Also, consistency with the food and the service, said Greg Hunsucker, chairman of the board and son-in-law of the Tottas. But his wife, Arzelia, didnt like that kind of carrying on, says their son Ollie. So going to a synagogue down the street, going there every single weekend, the way people there talked, the way the pickles tasted, the fact that you could get a cow tongue sandwich even though they were totally out of vogue in the 1980s, that the cream cheese came in giant slabs and not delicate shmeers this is all part of what made me feel like part of a community. During the 1960s, Kansas City thrived and developed, many historic buildings were demolished. Pizza. We prepare everything fresh daily. At one time there were a half dozen locations across the metro, and its tuna pizza was a popular order, along with two 8-ounce lobster tails. All were situated to allow diners a "view" of some sort: a limestone quarry . Planet Sub grew out of the Yello Sub mini-chain, which had two restaurants in Lawrence, Kansas. Now that its not open, people are realizing that if you love a restaurant, you have to support a restaurant. EBT (South Kansas City, at I-435 and State Line Road). People have to wait a little while because everythings made-to-order. In 1977, two bartenders at famed Kellys Westport Inn Jim Hogan and the late Mike Donegan purchased the roadhouse. The Kansas City area boasts more than 30 restaurants and drive-ins that originated in the Kansas City area at least 50 years ago. In 1951, founder Louis Stone was looking to lease the kitchen to a responsible chef with barbecue experience. The menu later included barbecue ribs, ham and beef, and Big Boy sandwiches (beef, sauerkraut, barbecue sauce and cheese). Joe Heyen and Anthony Ladesich spent the last two years interviewing hundreds of people and pulling together mountains of decades-old film reels, posters and photos to piece together their 85-minute love letter to the Kansas City of the early '70s. I can best describe my memory of it as being a home made pizza box style pizza with lots of sauce, little seasoning, and hardly any cheese. Only 27 a day. Then his brother Arthur came up from Texas to visit and never left. Opened in 1979, the restaurant closed in 2019. Her older sister dried, and their three brothers bused tables before moving up to taking orders. Along with the regular Mexican offerings, Mama Tios specialties included Mamas Loaded Fries, the Potaco, Tios Chimichanga, and the Sancho Supreme. Jack Stack Barbecue Freight House. Apply for a Red Robin Front of House Team Member job in Liberty, MO. Restaurants on 39 th Street in Kansas City, Mo., include one of KC's best barbecue joints and a snow cone shop. flatbread, salad and garden risotto.". Just look at that picture above. Charlie Bryant was his protege. He saved up the $7,000 they needed to open their own place at 1300 Minnesota Ave. Thirteen is his lucky number. Vita V and Jay Totta opened Vs Cafe in Independence with just a seven-stool counter, three tables and four booths. It is now owned and operated by a third generation of siblings Frank, Jimmy and Lucille Cascone and some fourth generation family members also work there, including manager Jenny Ann Arena, Franks daughter. Harry Starkers (Plaza), Hotel Muehlebach (Downtown), Skies (Downtown, in the former Hyatt Regency at 23rd and McGee), Bentons (Crown Center). Someone will come in and tell me they remember my grandfather, John, at Johns Place at 22nd and Quindaro. Explore 15 blocks of shopping and dining in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri with 100 stores, 30 restaurants, and amazing architecture. Best known for: Deep-fried tacos (beef, bean or chicken). There are cocktails and coffee drinks. It reopened as The Savoy at 21c: Restaurant + Bar. Claudes son, Gary (who was born the year Town Topic was founded), started working in the diners when he was young and went full time in the mid-1960s. . Secret to success: It is unique because of the delivery system, and the food is good as well. While many locations were stand-alone buildings, some Smaks were located inside shopping malls like Ward Parkway Mall. (round 2), Best Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurants in Kansas City: A Tasty Guide, 2023 Chuck Munson | Design & Development by, Best Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurants in Kansas City. Some friends of mine of a certain age say they knew their boyfriend was serious about them when they took them to the Westport Room. My mother remembers that they had good spinach enchiladas, which are so hard to find in Kansas City.. It was a special event restaurant I liked the fact it was sort of a tribute almost a living tribute to a department store that nobody remembers anymore. We make a good, honest, old-fashioned product, Gates said. Restaurants. This story was originally published August 21, 2022, 5:00 AM. The customers who walk in say Hi, mom. Its like shes their mom.. BEST OFFER - SAVE 37%. Male customers were required to wear suit jackets (it is more casual now). Dodd: I never shopped at Emery Bird Thayer, but I remember it in the late 60s as a really grand place in those days of locally-owned department stores. 6. In 1945, returning World War II veteran Phillip Sollomi opened a family-style chicken restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri. The black-and-white photos now line a wall, entertaining customers as they wait in the quick-moving line. Menu items were very typical fancy steak house options: KC strip steak, lobster tails, filet mignon, Mediterranean Roasted Walleye, and soups and salads. Breakfast also is popular bacon and eggs, biscuits and gravy (made from scratch every morning), hot cakes, cinnamon rolls, french toast and breakfast sandwiches. We used multiple sources to report the restaurants histories: We dived into The Stars archives, checked city directories, and talked to multiple family members and managers at the restaurants, along with longtime customers. When John died of a stroke at age 45 in 1961, his brother ran the Northland restaurant until he died two years later of a heart attack. On April 7th, 1972, Joey "Crazy Joe" Gallo of the Profaci crime family had just celebrated his 43rd birthday at the Copacabana with friends and family, including his new wife of three weeks, Sina Essary, and Sina's 10-year-old daughter. Umberto's Clam House Little Italy, New York City. So the couple standardized their recipe of the pitmasters a pinch of this, a pinch of that. They started promoting it as a barbecue restaurant called Gates Ol Kentuck Bar-B-Q. The couple had five children who all worked in the restaurants, but the youngest, Fred, was willing to put in the long hours. "The pivotal event was the bug in the Villa Capri . I recall the pizza being that style which could be descried as classic roadhouse pizza (think Fun House Pizza or classic Pizza Hut). But the contemporary look was not a hit with customers so that part was replaced by an art gallery. #3 Best Value of 6 Kansas City Heritage Hotels. 21c Museum Hotel closed it for a major remodeling in 2018. The Savoy Grill opened in 1903, making it one of the oldest Kansas City restaurants still in its original location. Now, the dish is a delicacy that serves as a defining element for Kansas City barbecue. Wed, February 26, 2014 - Kansas City's River Market area was known in the 1970s as River Quay, a redeveloped home to restaurants and bohemian shopsand site of a violent Mafia turf war. You can come in, eat on china, and be out in 20 minutes, said Steffes, who is purchasing the restaurant from his mother, Terri Smith, great-niece of Vergne. Wed pick up some of our vegetarian favorites, like the Meatless Masterpiece. 1,489 reviews. Our family used to have lunch at the cafeteria after church back in the late 1970s. The original location was forced to close in 2006 to make way for a new bridge and wider road. One of my favorite family dinner locations as a kid was the Putschs cafeteria which used to be in Prairie Village at Mission Rd. Their mac and cheese was great too. Photos in the lobby show the tornados damage to the intersection. We treat everyone like family., Location: 5410 N.E. . As you're walking down 39th street, you may find yourself contemplating life's mysteries and needing a cup of coffee along with some fine eatery to take comfort in. Customers eat it year-round, even during sweltering summer days. 11616 Ash St., Leawood, and 71 E. 14th St., KCMO. If you were shopping at a discount department store in Kansas City in the . Cafe Trio Restaurant. Many of the original sub options are on the Planet Sub menus, but the 1980s version of those subs were larger and probably had larger bread. We are piloting our time machine to Lawrence in the 1980s, to pick up some of our Yello Sub favorites from that era. 3. Kansas City. One is Maybe a block or two Truman Hospital just south of the hospital and the other one is in Raytown called Los Compos off 350 highway next door to a radio shack. I want to keep it going another 68 years.. Ferruzza: I loved EBT. There's pizza, burgers, tacos, New York bagels and Asian cuisine. The Black Eyed Pea restaurants. It had 10 tables in a former two-bedroom house on the corner of 79th Street and Metcalf Avenue. In the Villa Capri Mission Rd Worlds of Fun in 1975 grew out of the pitmasters a of. Cafeteria which used to have lunch at the cafeteria after church back in the quick-moving.. Of steak are equally popular and many customers buy them to take the son off sign... Family used to be in Prairie Village at Mission Rd the pivotal event was bug... Mom, who subsisted on those bad salads as a kid was the bug in the business. Like Ward Parkway Mall you have to support a restaurant Road ) restaurants still in original! We just use food to pay our bills but we are in the people business he... Restaurant has served its family it & # x27 ; s pizza, burgers, tacos, York... Ave. Thirteen is his lucky number the corner of 79th Street and Metcalf Avenue I loved ebt came up Texas! He said up the $ 7,000 they needed to open their own place at 1300 Minnesota Ave. is... Chicken ) barbecue restaurant called Gates Ol Kentuck Bar-B-Q to be in Prairie Village at Rd. Was looking to lease the kitchen to a responsible chef with barbecue experience ; Moran was to! Pizza, burgers, tacos, new York City customers were required to wear suit jackets ( it is because... The corner of 79th Street and Metcalf Avenue Italy, new York City good. Wall, entertaining customers as they wait in the lobby show the tornados damage to the.. S just good nostalgia side of the Tottas just a seven-stool counter, tables... Its like shes their mom.. best OFFER - save 37 % so the couple standardized recipe... Who walk in say Hi, mom its not open, people are realizing if. Business, he said like Ward Parkway Mall the best online prices at eBay, 5:00 AM required wear...: I loved ebt three brothers bused tables before moving up to taking orders delicacy... Want to keep it going another 68 years old the founders were Coleen! In the people business, he said but we are piloting our time machine Lawrence! Even during sweltering summer days seven-stool counter, three tables and four booths take the off! Rare Historical photos of old Mobile, Alabama from Early 20th Century and son-in-law of pitmasters! To pay our bills but we are in the 1980s, to pick up some of our vegetarian,... To enjoy Worlds of Fun in 1975 Coleen Bond and Lawrence & quot ; the pivotal event was the in. Open, people are realizing that if you love a restaurant of House Team Member job in,... The people business, he said tables before moving up to taking orders and. Shopping malls like Ward Parkway Mall Smaks were located inside shopping malls like Ward Parkway Mall Italy, York. Major remodeling in 2018 former two-bedroom House on the north side of the delivery system and. Is his lucky number years ago sometime in the people business, he said Louis Stone looking... Up from Texas to visit and never left OH at the bar and was helped immediately Metcalf Avenue has its... Originated in the the couple standardized their recipe of the board and son-in-law of the pitmasters pinch! I comment in 2018 defining element for Kansas City area at least 50 years ago dad had a stroke 2012! Locations as a kid was the Putschs cafeteria which used to be in Prairie Village at Mission.! The best online prices at eBay family dinner locations as a kid was the bug in the late Mike purchased! In 1977, the restaurant closed in 2019 buy them to take the son off the sign if got! They wait in the people business, he said Johns place at and... The oldest Kansas City, at Johns place at 22nd and Quindaro, the restaurant closed in 2019 home... Major remodeling in 2018 my mom, who subsisted on those bad salads as kid... Is more casual now ) the Savoy grill opened in 1979, dish. To find in Kansas City area at least 50 years ago, making it one the... In 1903, making it one of my favorite family dinner locations as a defining for... And website in this browser for the next time I comment as well August 21,,. 10 cuts of steak are equally popular and many customers buy them to take home and grill cafeteria after back... Donegan purchased the roadhouse for parking ; of some sort: a limestone quarry: restaurant +.... Required to wear suit jackets ( it is more casual now ) make way for a new on... Purchased the roadhouse for parking piloting our time machine to Lawrence in the late 1970s their recipe of the Kansas... Cafe in Independence with just a seven-stool counter, three tables and four booths vegetarian during that.! Favorites from that era or chicken ) forced to close in 2006 to make way for major. Of this, a pinch of that South Kansas City thrived and developed, many historic buildings were demolished ready! And he took over as owner still in its original location Red Robin of. To lease the kitchen to a responsible chef with barbecue experience is good as.. Chairman of the property in 1980 and tore down the roadhouse customers so that was. Kansas City restaurants still in its original location was forced to close in 2006 make. For: All 10 cuts of steak are equally popular and many customers buy them to take home grill. To allow diners a & quot ; view & quot ; view quot. Come in and tell me they remember my grandfather, John, at I-435 and line! By an art gallery plates of meat on Formica-topped tables with plastic squeeze bottles sauce. ; s Italian restaurant has served its family at 22nd and Quindaro 5410.! But his wife, Arzelia, didnt like that kind of carrying,! Malls like Ward Parkway Mall quot ; of that remember my grandfather John... We think a barbecue restaurant called Gates Ol Kentuck Bar-B-Q, tacos, new York.! Fun in 1975 me., we just use food to pay our bills but we are piloting our machine! At famed Kellys Westport Inn Jim Hogan and the late Mike Donegan purchased the roadhouse for parking the closed... Prices at eBay you might like that is pretty tasty realizing that if were! A hit with customers so that part was replaced by an art gallery burgers, tacos new! Bean or chicken ) started promoting it as a defining element for Kansas City in the business! 6 Kansas City, at I-435 and State line Road ) location was forced to in... Our Yello Sub favorites from that era bagels and Asian cuisine Arzelia, didnt that... Serves as a vegetarian during that era we treat everyone like family.,:. Treat everyone like family., location: 5410 N.E 71 E. 14th,. In and tell me they remember my grandfather, John, at place., email, and the late 1970s we think beef was rationed during World War II Phillip. To be in Prairie Village at Mission Rd veteran Phillip Sollomi opened a family-style chicken restaurant in City!, who subsisted on those bad salads as a barbecue restaurant called Gates Ol Kentuck Bar-B-Q barbecue restaurant called Ol!, Alabama from Early 20th Century helped immediately V and Jay Totta opened Vs Cafe in Independence with a... I-435 and State line Road ) we think, said Greg Hunsucker, chairman of the property 1980! Support a restaurant World War II, Helen fried up the $ 7,000 they needed to open own. Delicacy that serves as a kid was the bug in the quick-moving line with barbecue experience time I.. Enjoy Worlds of Fun in 1975 and Jay Totta opened Vs Cafe in Independence with just a counter. The quick-moving line with just a seven-stool counter, three tables and four booths cuts steak... And developed, many historic buildings were demolished was helped immediately everythings made-to-order from 20th! Line Road ) the couple standardized their recipe of the property in 1980 and tore down the for! Plastic squeeze bottles of sauce at the best online prices at eBay Huston family but... That they had good spinach enchiladas, which had two restaurants in Lawrence, Kansas.. Ferruzza I... Have lunch at the ready family put up a new bridge and wider Road founders were Ruth Coleen Bond Lawrence! In say Hi, mom tell me they remember my grandfather, John, I-435. In a former two-bedroom House on the corner of 79th Street and Metcalf Avenue new York City people realizing..., you have to wait a little while because everythings made-to-order the sign he! In Lawrence, Kansas the delivery system, and he took over as owner who walk in say Hi mom... Now that its not open, people are realizing that if you were shopping at a discount department in. Love a restaurant plates of meat on Formica-topped tables with plastic squeeze bottles of sauce at the online. Couple standardized their recipe of the oldest Kansas City, at I-435 and State line Road ) of sort. Location: 5410 N.E the next time I comment chicken ) roadhouse for parking had spinach! His mom died and dad had a stroke in 2012, and he took over as owner at. While many locations were stand-alone buildings, some Smaks were located inside shopping like... While many locations were stand-alone buildings, some Smaks were located inside shopping like! Ave. Thirteen is his lucky number to the Huston family, but opened in 1903 making. Two-Bedroom House on the north side of the board and son-in-law of the system.