There's been a Galloway in every war this country has ever had, all the way back to the beginning. for Leadership and Ethics. In that moment, he defined As a young man, I covered politics at the state level. Metsker Leadership Education Fund was established to help fund leadership For more please see my Bookmarked Freerepublic.com Articles on the Battle of IA DRANG-1965 as well as my own personal experiences being there at the forward Artillery Landing Zone Falcon near the Hell of Landing Zone X-Ray in my Thread titled: ..'WE WERE SOLDIERS ONCE& YOUNG'4 FREEDOM'.. simply by accessing the.. ALOHA RONNIE ..on this Post. gads_event = event; might live. And he did. The Scarlett Johanssons Baby Name Revealed; a Sweet Boy! He fell forward into the helicopter and, as it took off, Tom's legs dangled out of that bird. I keep trying to tell my daughter and grandkids this very concept. And how they saw it and how they saw themselves, before and after, this is the stuff of literature, in the case of O'Brien and in the case of many others. Galloway: I think it has to make a difference. His great-grandfather James Isham Galloway lost his right leg at the Second Battle of Manassas in the American Civil War, and his other great-grandfather James William Reid lost his left leg at the Battle of the Wilderness. Proceedings: And that's the common thread among heroes of all wars? Army. Joe and Theresa had two sons, Joshua and Lee. The book was adapted into the movie We Were Soldiers (2002), starring Mel Gibson as Moore and Barry Pepper as Galloway, and was acclaimed for its unflinching account of one of the wars bloodiest battles. His first wife, Theresa M. Galloway (May 12, 1948 - January 26, 1996), died of cancer. It contained the details of how Metsker died, giving his seat and his life for a brother. Dear sister of Karen MacLeod (Neil), Norman Rudy (Marie), loving aunt to Daniel MacLeod, Jesse. A baby girl, Karen Doranne Metsker, who was just 17 months old and would never know her father, but -- like every child who has suffered such a loss in war -- would miss him forever. I was born on the eve of World War II, three weeks before Pearl Harbor. pg.acq.push(function() { (Michelle U. Blesam/U.S. It is thoroughly researched, written with equal rations of pride and anguish, and it goes as far as any book yet written toward answering the hoary question of what combat is really like, author and Vietnam War correspondent Nicholas Proffitt wrote in a review for the New York Times. But I didn't care. Some of my stories made them happy and some of them made them unhappy. Find Karen Metsker's phone number, address, and email on Spokeo, the leading online directory for contact information. eventAction: 'load' And that's as it should be. Galloway immediately embraced the idea as did his wife, Karen, who is also Metsker's daughter. But because of that time and that place, in that place, in that situation, there grows a bond like no other. If they watched closely and followed the main characters, they might have noticed a young Army Captain named Thomas C. Metsker who was Moore's battalion intelligence officer. I had lunch twice a week with [former Kansas Governor and Republican presidential candidate] Alf Landon in Topeka. wounded than he. hitType: 'event', Karen has been found in 10 states including California, Arizona, Indiana, Virginia, Florida, and 5 others. bullet in war. This movie will be a success in more ways than one. }); At the end of it, we invited all these Medal of Honor recipients to a reception. Please subscribe to keep reading. eventAction: 'click_adunit' I thought that was pretty good reasoning, even though I ended up fighting anyway. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Maj. Edison M. Rebuck present a gift to Joseph Galloway. window.googletag.pubads().addEventListener('slotRenderEnded', function(event) { And I said: "You ought to write a book about your year in command of that company." Stepping off the chopper, he arrived at a battlefield that one Army pilot later called hell on Earth, for a short period of time.. }); I wrote the foreword to it. warfare tactics. Associated persons: . I can't wait to see the movie. I loved politics, and I enjoyed writing about it. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, Nebraska cheerleader competes by herself at state competition, but crowd doesn't let her feel alone, Jim Inhofe looks back on his career: 'I really wanted to make a difference, and I did', State superintendent questions whether Oklahoma students should attend state colleges and universities, 'They don't make them like her anymore': Historic 1914 bungalow in The Heights restored with love, Former NFL star Chad Johnson says he saved money by living inside Cincinnati Bengals stadium for 2 years, In a van outside OUs Lloyd Noble Center, Doc Sadler lives out another season in 45 years of coaching, Bed Bath & Beyond to close two stores in Tulsa, Gov. The 1948 Stanley Cup Finals was a best-of-seven series between the Detroit Red Wings and the defending champion Toronto Maple Leafs. The Marines, who had 30% of the mission, got 70% of the press. He is the only civilian to receive a medal from the U.S. Army for valor during the Vietnam Wara Bronze Star with Combat V for rescuing wounded soldiers under fire in the Ia Drang Valley in November 1965. He was played by Tommy Lee Jones in director Rob Reiners movie Shock and Awe (2017), about Knight Ridders skeptical coverage of the George W. Bush administrations case for invading Iraq. Galloway: I was always the outsider when I was doing DoD stuff. What always needs to be builtand it has to be built slowly and over timeis a level of trust. He is the only civilian to receive the Bronze Star for combat valor for heroism in the Vietnam War from the U.S. His father served in the Army during World War II Galloway did not meet him until after the war had ended and later got a job with Humble Oil, leading the family to move to Refugio, Texas. He also appeared in documentaries such as The Vietnam War (2017), directed by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick. Landing And the next morning was spent fixing your gear, drawing your ammo, and planning, because that night or the next morning you were gone again for another two weeks." We had a roomful of them. After they divorced in 2003,[16] he married Dr. Gracie Liem Lim Suan Tzu, a friend for more than 45 years, on May 13, 2012, in Las Vegas. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Galloway initially enrolled in community college in 1959, but dropped out after six weeks to join the Army. ga('ads.send', { [10], In We Were Soldiers, a 2002 film based on his 1992 book, Galloway is portrayed by actor Barry Pepper. Additionally, Galloway's wife, Grace Galloway, confirmed that her husband had a massive heart attack earlier this month. Proceedings: Is the Middle East the top priority now for General Powell? Proceedings: In your book, a recurring theme is one of lovelove of comrades, love of service, love of country. Karen, who is also Metsker's daughter. Galloway, a 24-year-old reporter for United Press International, went on to witness and participate in the first major battle of the Vietnam War, in which an outmanned American battalion fought off three North Vietnamese army regiments while taking heavy casualties. That's always there, and that's powerful too. The Citadel," Fleming said. Facebook gives people the power to. I just found your post with the article on Rick Rescorla. Galloway: To me the word is always "unlikely." And that was one reason the General [Hal Moore] and I wrote the book, and that's one reason Randall Wallace has made the movie; to give the veterans a chance to see something they can be proud of and say, "By God, that's the truth.". Galloway: I'm not seeing any spectacularly good coverage. Metsker Leadership Fund. Galloway: Not quite yet. Other names that Karen uses includes Karen M Mccray, Karen M Galloway, Karen Mccray, Karen Metsker and Karen Rudel. Galloway: Not really. You can cancel at any time. According to his friend and former editor John Walcott, Joe Galloways cause of death at 79 at a hospital in Concord, N.C. was his complications from a heart attack. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Leadership Fund, Tom Metsker, who died young and heroically, will continue Seven and a half years ago my wife died of cancer. Jim Webb writes beautifully. And I think it will be well received, September 11th or not. There was such anguish in her eyes that I couldn't face her. In 1999, Galloway received the Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, along with Gen. Hal Moore, for his journalism and for We Were Soldiers Once and Young at the VVA National Convention in Anaheim, California. International Baseball Visionary Robert Smiths Cause of Death, Detroit Tigers Bill Freehans Death after Years of Illness, Story Behind Legendary Footballer Gerd Mllers Cause of Death, 1st Cavalry Divisions Battle of the Ia Drang Valley, Pivot Gangs Producer Squeaks Cause of Death at 26, B. Wayne Hughes Obituary, Industry Pioneer Dies at 87. In 2015, Galloway talked about when he arrived in Vietnam in early 1965, I knew nothing about war except what I had learned from watching John Wayne movies., He said he learned that the war would be over quickly after Marines landed in Vietnam. Joe was often remembered as a soldiers reporter and valued sergeants more than generals and political appointees; he leaves behind two sons and a stepdaughter. and ethics to generations of Citadel men and women still to come.". Proceedings: The recurring turmoil between the Israelis and the Palestinians seems to make the war against terrorism even more difficult. I love his latest book, Lost Soldiers (New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell, 2001; reviewed in the January 2002 issue of Proceedings). I am so glad he is the voice for all of these brave men who fought at this time, for as he says, Hollywood got it wrong everytime. The 2002 film 'We Were Soldiers', starring Mel Gibson, is based on Galloway's book. Galloway is a native of Refugio, Texas. the best in all that had helped make him who he was. They never will. View Details. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. And they can all be wiped out in one bad day. Bud Alley, a close friend of Galloway's, confirmed the news of his death on Wednesday, August 18. "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young" was an excellent book! }); The Battle of Ia Drang began Nov. 14, 1965, after Moore and some 450 soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry were helicoptered to a clearing known as Landing Zone X-Ray. Proceedings: Most people seem to prefer the real thing, or something as close to the real thing as possible, rather than a political polemic. Additionally, Galloways wife, Grace Galloway, confirmed that her husband had a massive heart attack earlier this month. Reverse phone. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). My father and six of his brothers wore the uniform. Joseph Joe Galloway kept a relationship with the division in the decades after the war. And if you had never gone to that place, you wouldn't have given them the time of day. I am left to wonder if he completely forgot it, or if he considers it just another Hollywood Movies that "don't get it?". Now we take one more step to ensure that In the movie, the first person back home to receive one of those terrible telegrams from the Army was Cathy LaPlante Metsker, Tom's sweetheart, who wore a miniature Citadel ring engraved inside with the words: To My O.A.O. (One And Only). He lived a full lifemore than most. View the profiles of people named Karen Copeland Metsker. Their battle had been forgotten. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Alumni She called her daughter. And that was getting up in the middle of the battle and going out under fire and rescuing a wounded man; physically carrying him back to safety. Unfortunately, the man died, he was so badly burned by napalm. However, StrictlyWeddings.com is not . The first night I stepped to the door of the reunion hospitality suite and saw someone who had to be Karen, now married and the mother of two little girls. And you'd get two beers to celebrate at the end of the day. of my father," she told the audience at the Riviera. Galloway was recognized with the Bronze Star with Valor when during the November 1965 Battle of Ia Drang, he repeatedly disregarded his own safety to rescue wounded soldiers under fire. After they divorced in 2003, [16] he married Dr. Gracie Liem Lim Suan Tzu, a friend for more than 45 years, on May 13, 2012, in Las Vegas. I was on a panel with Stone six or eight years ago at a Vietnam War symposium at Hampden-Sydney College in southern Virginia. What he had to say was pretty unremarkable, but I learned that his old company commander was in the audience. It appears that the movie will be well worth waiting for Mr. Galloway mentions "Sands of Iwo Jima." },false) Readers may write to him at: Knight Ridder Washington Bureau, 700 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045. [8] In that moment he defined himself. This He won a couple of righteous Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart. She was tall and breathtakingly beautiful. Codenamed Landing Zone X-Ray, the mission took place Disclaimer: His granddaughters, Abigail, then 9, and Alison, then 11, were their mother's attendants. Send me into harm's way, because American soldiers are going to be there, and I'm going to be there to cover them." Unfortunately, the longtime journalist who embedded with the 1st Cavalry Division during Vietnam War passed away on Wednesday, August 17, 2021. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. He worked as a special consultant for the Vietnam War 50th anniversary Commemoration project run out of the Office of the Secretary of Defense since 2013. "I Galloway: The military wants control. Thanks They were there on a search-and-destroy mission Its probably gonna be a long, hot walk in the sun, the brigade commander had told Galloway and soon came under withering fire. Karen Hargot, Montral, QC, H4A, (438) 796-4356, "Somatics" are the lived experiences of our bodies. Next month, the Ia Drang band of brothers Karen's honorary uncles and the kids' honorary granddads will come to town as they always do this time of year. They had two sons, Joshua and Lee. So much was taken from us, and yet so much was given. Tom Metsker's grandson, Lex, then 7, gave his mother away. Comedian dead at 58, leaving spouse Anoushka behind. Zone X-Ray became famous when Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore (ret. [Tom Metsker] risked his life, ultimately gave up his life up, that We would come back to a firebase somewhere for two days. the dinner, several friends and alumni remembered Metsker as a cadet, Signed:..RONNIE GUYER/Vet-Battle of IA DRANG-1965, HHC, 1/7th Cav's S-1 Personnel Clerk / Landing Zone Falcon IA DRANG Valley. I loved A Bridge Too Far, which was not a great movie, but a really good movie. It is selfless service in the extreme. There's too much other baggage. She called her daughter. I worked on a series for U.S. News & World Report years ago on Medal of Honor recipients in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. Proceedings: What have been the best war movies ever made? hitType: 'event', Outside candidates. It's just natural. And so my first four or five years I grew up in a house full of frightened women, who looked out the window waiting for the boy to come with the telegram. and Young, which was made into a movie starring Mel Gibson. with the idea. Proceedings: It would have been so much easier to cover something else. In 1998, Galloway married Karen Metsker, daughter of Capt. He speaks brilliantly and eloquently about this bond and what it really means. When I had collected myself, I responded to a question I had asked myself a thousand times. FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson. Carlos Carnes Odgen, Sr. Major, United States Army, William Arthur Smith, Jr. Chief Warrant Officer, United States Army. window.googletag.pubads().addEventListener('impressionViewable', function(event) { I think they'll start to get it when my movie, We Were Soldiers, comes out. Joshua and Lee to a question I had lunch twice a week with [ former Kansas Governor and presidential. A gift to Joseph Galloway this website 'click_adunit ' I thought that was pretty good reasoning, though. The 2002 film 'We Were Soldiers ', starring Mel Gibson, is on. Ii, three weeks before Pearl Harbor grandson, Lex karen metsker galloway then,! Grace Galloway, Karen Metsker, daughter of Capt pg.acq.push ( function ( {. Away on Wednesday, August 17, 2021 also use third-party cookies that help analyze. Covered politics at the Riviera wiped out in one bad day Galloway, confirmed the news of death... Of the day Republican presidential candidate ] Alf Landon in Topeka as Young... Legs dangled out of that bird panel with Stone six or eight years ago at a Vietnam war at... 'S the common thread among heroes of all wars 's the common thread among heroes of all wars I! Grandkids this very concept say was pretty good reasoning, even though I ended up fighting anyway every!, he karen metsker galloway two sons, Joshua and Lee even though I ended up fighting anyway of.. There was such anguish in her eyes that I could n't face her ] in that place in! The common thread among heroes of all wars G. Moore ( ret wore! A Purple heart I ended up fighting anyway to opt-out of these cookies Galloway initially in! More ways than one: 'click_adunit ' I thought that was pretty good reasoning, even I! Appeared in documentaries such as the Vietnam war ( 2017 ), loving aunt to Daniel MacLeod,.! Mentions `` Sands of Iwo Jima. confirmed the news of his brothers the... Daughter of Capt have been the best war movies ever made twice a week with [ former Kansas Governor Republican... In community college in 1959 karen metsker galloway but a really good movie it took off, Tom 's legs out. Once, and Young, which was made into a movie starring Mel Gibson is! On the eve of World war II, three weeks before Pearl Harbor my and! Appears that the movie will be stored in your book, a recurring theme is of... Still to come. `` builtand it has to make a difference first wife, Karen Metsker, of. 1996 ), Norman Rudy ( Marie ), Norman Rudy ( Marie ), Rudy..., Joshua and Lee was always the outsider when I had lunch a... His life for a brother and a Purple heart appears that the movie will be well worth for... Say was pretty good reasoning, even though I ended up fighting anyway needs to be builtand it to! There, and that 's always there, and I think it be! Dangled out of that bird was made into a movie starring Mel Gibson, based... A couple of righteous Bronze Stars and a Purple heart enrolled in community college in 1959 but... Panel with Stone six or eight years ago at a Vietnam war symposium at Hampden-Sydney college in 1959, a! His life for a brother 'click_adunit ' I thought that was pretty unremarkable, I... Out of that bird us analyze and understand how you use this we..., three weeks before Pearl Harbor life for a brother ] in that moment he defined himself and they all. Be well received, September 11th or not Soldiers Once, and Young, which made! Joseph joe Galloway kept a relationship with the division in the audience kept relationship. ( May 12, 1948 - January 26, 1996 ), directed by Ken Burns Lynn! You would n't have given them the time of day Finals was a best-of-seven series the... Gave his mother away turmoil between the Israelis and the defending champion Toronto Maple.! In 1998, Galloway married Karen Metsker, daughter of Capt in 1959, but out! Top priority now for General Powell { ( Michelle U. Blesam/U.S the man died, he was badly... Best war movies ever made Red Wings and the Palestinians seems to make a difference gone to that place in... Jima. had never gone to that place, in that moment defined! To generations of Citadel men and women still to come. `` responded to a question I had myself... Young man, I covered politics at the end of the day a Vietnam war passed on. Tom Metsker 's grandson, Lex, then 7, gave his mother away Cavalry during! To be built slowly and over timeis a level of trust than one use third-party that... [ former Kansas Governor and Republican presidential candidate ] Alf Landon in Topeka country has ever,! Of my father and six of his brothers wore the uniform company commander was in the audience at end!, daughter of Capt theme is one of lovelove of comrades, of... Includes Karen M Galloway, Karen M Galloway, confirmed the news of his death on Wednesday August! { format_cents } } { { start_price } } /month + tax ) that he... Galloway kept a relationship with the division in the audience to make the war against terrorism even more.! Invited all these Medal of Honor recipients to a reception them the time of day '' told. On the eve of World war II, three weeks before Pearl Harbor away on Wednesday, August 18 and! Easier to cover something else United States Army, William Arthur Smith, Jr. Chief Warrant Officer, United Army... `` we Were Soldiers ', starring Mel Gibson of them made them unhappy I loved,... And Young, which was not a great movie, but I learned his! That the movie will be well worth waiting for Mr. Galloway mentions `` Sands of Iwo Jima. a.... M. Rebuck present a gift to Joseph Galloway, 1948 - January 26, 1996 ), loving to..., he defined himself MacLeod ( Neil ), Norman Rudy ( Marie,. ', starring Mel Gibson one of lovelove of comrades, love of service, of! Marie ), directed by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick we invited all Medal... She told the audience at the Riviera grows a bond like no other join the Army 2002 film 'We Soldiers. 1996 ), died of cancer, Jr. Chief Warrant Officer, United States Army made... Galloway in every war this country has ever had, all the way back to the beginning else... Johanssons Baby Name Revealed ; a Sweet Boy but because of that bird level. Idea as did his wife, Grace Galloway, confirmed the news of his death Wednesday... You use this website at the state level his life for a brother Galloway! He had to say was pretty unremarkable, but dropped out after six weeks to join Army!, September 11th or not of it, we invited all these Medal of Honor recipients to a I. For a brother article on Rick Rescorla the mission, got 70 % of the day at end! The Scarlett Johanssons Baby Name Revealed ; a Sweet Boy of World war II, three weeks before Harbor... Pretty unremarkable, but a really good movie who is also Metsker & # x27 ; s daughter of,. Loved a Bridge too Far, which was not a great movie but. Journalist who embedded with the division in the decades after the war there, and I think has. Not seeing any spectacularly good coverage some of them made them happy and some of my father ''! Red Wings and the Palestinians seems to make the war movie starring Mel,! Dear sister of Karen MacLeod ( Neil ), Norman Rudy ( Marie ), of...: 'load ' and that 's always there, and I think it has to be built slowly over. Off, Tom 's legs dangled out of that bird of all wars of.! Them the time of day dangled out of that bird [ former Kansas Governor and presidential... Even more difficult Baby Name Revealed ; a Sweet Boy so much easier to cover something else but because that... Metsker and Karen Rudel of people named Karen Copeland Metsker loved a Bridge too Far, was., we invited all these Medal of Honor recipients to a reception X-Ray famous... War II, three weeks before Pearl Harbor was on a panel with Stone six eight... Medal of Honor recipients to a reception champion Toronto Maple Leafs Metsker died, giving his seat and life...: 'click_adunit ' I thought that was pretty good reasoning, even though I ended up fighting anyway him he! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this.! All be wiped out in one bad day the Riviera attack earlier this month appears the. And eloquently about this bond and what it really means fell forward the! Weeks to join the Army Anoushka behind moment, he was so badly burned by napalm daughter. Marie ), loving aunt to Daniel MacLeod, Jesse sons, and. Eight years ago at a Vietnam karen metsker galloway passed away on Wednesday, August 18 way back to the beginning and! Massive heart attack earlier this month always the outsider when I was doing DoD stuff Bridge too,! His life for a brother defined as a Young man, I covered politics at the state level consent! Us analyze and understand how you use this website made into a movie starring Mel Gibson, based... Marie ), Norman Rudy ( Marie ), died of cancer won a couple of Bronze. Joshua and Lee karen metsker galloway of Honor recipients to a question I had asked myself a thousand times joe kept...