Its all in the timing. Before this issue got published, Alaska joined the union in January of that year. In the manner of the bog bodies of which one can read in Nat Geo, the best way to store the magazines is actually the simplest: keep them as you set them down. )Continue, The sweet teddy ornaments, widely known as Cherished Teddies, can have quite a high value! It depicted the US flag fluttering from a flagpole. I am slowly working on a guide to the annual index published each year from 1891 through 2010 by the NGS. You can also indicate in the Collector's Forum the issues you're selling. Check these out on Amazon. It features Sharbat Gula, a 12-year-old Afghan girl. Today,fantastic photographyis the magazines trademark. This got National Geographic interested, and they decided to pay a visit. The answer to the question how does National Geographic get such cool photos is therefore simpler than most people might think. Covers, ads, supplements each bound within their issue; volume title page, contents listing, and index, 1b. Good condition copies can also fetch a good price depending on rarity and collectability. There are too many variables for me to describe here such as type of binding, i.e. The May 1, 1939 issue with Joe DiMaggio on the cover is also quite valuable. Of course, the scientific texts made up most of the pages. A section of the streaming service Disney Plus is devoted to National Geographic documentaries and television programs. Most commonly, the maps originated from the journeys National Geographic photographers took into various parts of the world. Shortlisted, the most valuable National Geographic covers to collectors would be the: The Afghan Girl The Afghan Girl: Found "The Afghan Girl" and "The Afghan Girl: Found" - Arguably the best picture ever to feature on the cover of National Geographic Magazine. Go to eBay and do a search for National Geographic Magazine. Youll find upwards of 20 thousand items listed. 1 - 8, $152.50 21 Mar 2017 Vols. WorthPoint is the largest resource online for identifying, researching and valuing antiques. The first full-photo cover page was published in 1959. Generally speaking, I have found the following decades (per issue)in the VG condition described above go for (sliding scale downward as you reach the end of the decade): 1910 - $35 (with war years sometimes asking more), 1940 - $7.50 (with war years sometimes asking more). However, elementary schools would mostly be in want of the magazine because the colorful images can be cut out by their students. 11) (with April + supplement stripped out), 1914 - $29.17 (+$0.42), 1915 - $24.69 (+$0.35), 1916 - $20.37 (+$0.17), 1917 - $17.56 (+$0.50). Average price: $7000-9000, 1891-1895: brochure issues (volume 3-6). ** The winner of these volumes during the 1/18/10 auction subsequently resold these volumes (non-eBay sale) at the price shown. However, be advised that piling them up (literally, height-wise) is probably the worst thing you can do. Average price: $140, October, 1909: discovery of the North Pole. The search can be filtered by publication year and month, publication name, condition, and price. Highest of four bids: $11.00 1955 "Modern Man" magazine (nude Betty Page and Marilyn Monroe photos). While the first issue will generally fetch upwards of $4000, the usual range is from $7-9,000, with a very few sales over the $10,000 mark. Who buys National Geographic? Ive recorded an entire bound first two volumes, the first 9 issues complete with covers and maps, selling for just over $20,000. Dont be afraid to ask the seller questions to find out a little more about your valuable purchase, for example details about the condition. National Geographic magazines are world-renowned for their high-quality photojournalism. Until 2013, these issues in VG condition generally brought over $150 each. The most valuable magazines in the world. When you consider the number of NGMs issued over more than 130 years of publication you can see how involved collecting becomes with the need to evaluate each individual magazines quality. Owning these publications allowed readers to enjoy the stories hidden within, while the pictures allowed readers to visualize the stories. Facebook So what is its value? The Smart Dog A black and white Border Collie posed for an image with disheveled hair in March 2008. The cover's iconic yellow border emerged only gradually . Interestingly enough, in all these countries National Geographic Magazine is readily available at newsstands, but back in the States, it was until recently only possible to get your copy if you subscribed. The best places to sell and buy National Geographic magazines include auction sites like eBay, or quick buy sites like Etsy which often sell collectibles. Sign up, store and use your NGs collection. The Afghan girl: found, culled from Medium.com. The first National Geographic Magazine was published October 1888. National Geographic Learning ELT in Boydton, VA Expand search. National Geographic Kids magazine is an exciting monthly read for planet-loving kids, aged 7 - 12! It publishes a kid's magazine (National Geographic Kids) and owns a channel for which it produces educational content. Generally speaking, good quality magazines are relatively easy to come by beginning with 1920, moderately difficult from 1907 to 1919, and increasingly difficult (and costly)as you slip back in years earlier than 1907. This makes it one of the highest value magazines from the past 150 years. I think I will be better off cutting of the bindings and saving the advertisements and sell those to advertising collector's by category; IE: cars, trucks, kitchen items, etc. This way, an individuals passion can serve an entire community. In October 1888, the first edition got published with a bland brown cover. They are some of the most widely read publications of all time! The first thing to know is that the most valuable issues of National Geographic are generally those published before 1907. Most magazines are worth between $5 and $20 though some are quite valuable. Required fields are marked *. After 17 years, the now grow-up woman named Sharbat Gula was found and photographed again wearing a purple burka. As with the previous data collection I maintain only the highest three sales, discarding any lower sales data. 2023 - WorthPoint Corporation | 5 Concourse Parkway NE, Suite 2900. Which National Geographic magazines are the most valuable? Smart Dog. Of course, this choice is arbitrary, since every fan has his/her own selection from more than 1.500 covers published so far. This forest expanse is one of the most protected regions of the Northern California coastal forests. The image was featured on the cover of April 2002 issue. This article will guide you on the ten most valuable National Geographic Magazines and how to get yours. If you want to kill time,then the magazines are good. A set of bound volumes from 1915 1940 sold for $150.00 on 9 October 2015. However, this value also correlates with its reduced supply since its challenging to find. Most of these variables would be considered subjective, i.e. hint!) A few platforms that you can visit for authentic National Geographic Magazines include: Its necessary to know how to take care of books if youre going to be a collector of vintage books. This includes the Apollo 11 flight, the Machu Picchu discovery, the moon landing, and other historical events. Not only was production low preceding 1914, near 100K, the raw materials shortage of the war years (WWI) destroyed many paper products. However, this routine got broken up a few times: The National Geographic Magazine had relatively humble beginnings, as the first volumes were dull and lacking in aesthetics. The worth of a magazine is not determined by date alone, although typically, the older the magazine, the higher its value. Its price usually ranges between $7000 to $9000, with some exceptional copies going above $10,000. Most of these books got published hundreds of years ago, with early production methods. PRICING & COLLECTING INFO: The earliest issues of National Geographic are the most valuable, especially the first volume, which ocnsisted of only 4 issues. However, the oldest magazine is not worth any money if it is not in good condition. It shows a woman from this Himalayan region wearing a turquoise hat as a symbol of opulence. The first 14 years were rather dull, with black and white print, a few meteorological maps and dozens of unimaginative and dull scientific texts. As an NGM enthusiast I dread the thought of destroying the aging magazines, but I understand your frustration. # There have been no sales observed that qualify for the highest two eBay sales under format 1a or 1b after this volume. eBay: http://www.ebay.com/gds/A-Guide-to-Selling-National-Geographic-Maga An old book collector once told me that for a book to be rare there had to be fewer than 1000 copies printed and to be scarce fewer than 10,000 copies printed. This is not even close to the value of an original (an original Vol. In November 2016, it cost $140 to ship 55 bound volumes by UPS. What is your opinion? Highest of 27 bids: $50.36 "Sports Afield" January 1939 and "Field & Stream" 1940 with an article on Clark Gable. ai thinker esp32 cam datasheet In August 2012 I began collecting data on the years 1915 through 1917. So, you can find some in the attics of some families, in their garages, their basements, etc. eBay. The man from Ethiopia culled from Biblio.com. Are the pages of the book torn, is the front cover still there, and is the map attachment still intact? The Society generally published only a few extra magazines above the membership numbers, thus the rarity of the first eight years of publications known as the red brick issues. Back to the question - what has the reprint production got to do with the April 1913 issue? 64 No. Before 1905, the magazine featured no photographs and covers that were primarily textual. 10 Most Valuable Lefton China Pieces (Rarest Sold For $1,295), Antique Cast Iron Stoves Value (Rarest & Most Valuable is Selling for $24,500), 1920 Singer Sewing Machine Value (Rarest Sold For $3,000), Most Valuable 1934 20 Dollar Bill (Rarest Sold For $40,800), 4 Most Valuable Antique Typewriter (Rarest Sold For $110,059), Antique Ruby Rings Value (Rarest & Most Valuable Sold For $2.6 Million), Antique Cast Iron Toy Value (Rarest & Most Valuable Sold For $13,500), Top 10 Antique Stores in Connecticut [Update 2023], THE 10 BEST Pennsylvania Antique Stores (with Photos), 10 Best Antiques Near Me in Fort Worth, TX, The 13 Most Valuable Disney Pins (Rarest Sold For $10,000), Most Valuable Rare Hummel Figurines (Rarest Sold For $5000+), 1941 Penny Value Chart (Worth Million Dollars? Check out the "Collector's Corner" and "Collector's Forum" on the "National Geographic" website. My father collected National Geographic and has bequeathed me a near complete collection from 1932-84. This first year began with 165 members. In 2007, a copy of Beaton's 1887 Christmas Yearbook sold at Sotheby's for $156,000. This spreadsheet allows me to average both the issue (month) and the entire year to develop a high-water mark for my purchases. However, some issues are much more valuable, including thefirst(most commonly a reprint),complete sets(especially if they arevintage issues), those that feature asignificant topicorphotograph, andvintage publicationsthat are difficult to find. Because of its size the April 1913 issue is very difficult to find with an intact binding. This historical data, combined with quantity published and quality definition should give the reader a basic understanding of the value for items being sold or purchased. Since then, the National Geographic Magazine got published every month. Estate Sales (this section borrowed with permission from Dale Murphy - Dec 2010): Having spent some significant part of a lifetime collecting the items, how does one later realize their true market value? In 2001, National Geographic issued a set of eight CDs with all the maps up until the year 2000 in electronic format. In the years that followed, they established a world-wide network of photographers for whom it became a matter of prestige to have their photos published in National Geographic Magazine. For this guide I collect sales data, price and quality, for each National Geographic Magazine (NGM) sold on eBay that was published by the National Geographic Society (NGS) from October 1888 through December 1917. Too high and no one will be interested, too low and people may be suspicious that there is something wrong with the item. In August 2012, I expanded my data collection of eBay sales to include the years 1908 through 1917 inclusive. A complete set of loose issues from 1904 through 2008 sold for $1,150.00 on 1 December 2012. As a guide price, the first issues will fetch over $4000 USD, usually reaching somewhere between $7000-9000. 1, No.1 reprinted in 1975 (special identifier printed within), Volumes 8-18 (1898 1907) 500 copies per issue 1,500. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about collecting or selling National Geographic Magazines (NGMs). Before digital prints became mainstream, you had to own a magazine or a news publication to read the news. What National Geographic magazines are the most valuable? We both sent multiple messages to him and even tried to get eBay to intervene on the buyers behalf. Ive recorded a validated first issue, October 1888, selling for just over $6,000. The ones that are worth the most. Accordingly, all issues that got published before the year 1907 are the most valuable National Geographic Magazines. On 13th January 1888, some men in horsedrawn carriages, on horseback, and even on foot headed to Lafayette Square. I've seen Aug 1914 with map supplement go for over $100. Even when you do find it, its difficult to get any thats in good condition. This gives them a special place in the hearts of many, and makes the issues highly collectable today. A complete set of individual issues, 1914-1959, sold for $495 on 5 Jan 2017. Although they were unsuccessful for 17 years, they still kept at it until someone recognized her. If a six month sale was sold that, multiplied by 2 (representing 12 issues), was greater than a full year sale listed in my data I substituted the new sales data as a theoretical full year. There are currently over 40,000 eBay offerings for them. Although an old National Geographic Magazine is valuable, this value is dependent on several factors. However, these issues are mostly recent ones, easily obtainable at any newsstand and in digital format. 1. Whats the Difference Between Vintage And Antique ? 1908 $50.27 ($0.00) no sales qualified for top 3, 1909 - $47.08 (+$0.51), 1910 $34.98 (+$0.54), +1911 - $37.02 (+$3.31), 1912 - $34.93 (+$0.98), *1913 - $68.83 (+$0.11) (with April + supplement included), - $34.11 (+$0. Collecting and trading is a journey of its own, enjoy it! Welcome toNational Geographic's Collectors Corner, 2023 Created by Cathy Hunter. Now climate change, pollution, and invasive species threaten their. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Oct 1959 National Geographic Magazine Antarctica Coral Reef Rocket Moon Adverts at the best online prices at eBay! Eventually, the magazine expanded to a general publication, shared with the public. ucla environmental science graduate program; four elements to the doctrinal space superiority construct; woburn police scanner live. This is a rare circumstance, but this vintage ad sold for $7,500 because it was signed by Debbie Reynolds. A team member brought a mirror close and got Koko to take a self-portrait through the mirror. For those collectors now interested in completing their collections after the 1964 reprints were published, the 1908 through 1914's (especially in VG) instantly became difficult to find. A set of bound volumes from 1913 1987 sold for $1,000.00 on 22 June 2016. In a letter dated July 13, 1989, signed by Eugenia M. Ryan, Research Correspondence for the NGS, a copy of which was posted on the National Geographic Collectors Corner forum by Mr. Jeffry Persons on 9 March 2015, the following 1964 reprint production is summarized: Individual Issues Bound Volumes, Volumes 1-7 (1888 1897) 1,400 copies per issue 1,600, +1,000 additional Vol. The front board was off the book; the binding was falling apart; the covers and ads (as is normally the practice with bound NGMs) were missing as well as the one map for the year and the index. The first National Geographic Magazine was published October 1888. Although most National Geographic Magazine publications were about nature, some told a story. The National Geographic section of eBay is an excellent place to start looking, to get an idea of prices whether you are buying or selling. The above are some of the most valuable editions of National Geographic Magazines out there. Lots of collectors value this physical magazine because it allows them to re-read their favorite issues whenever they want to. Their primary subject matter includes geography, archaeology, biology and anthropology, but they have covered an astounding range of topics over the years. Sounds simple enough, but one has to be aware that the first 36 issues are called red brick because that was the color of their front page. Average price: $210-340, January, 1896: start of the regular monthly publication. Although many people were milling around him and there was dust all around, he knew he had to take it. They depict a, Read More Norman Rockwell Plates Value (One Plate Sold For $1,300! Few people today have never seen the famous June 1985 cover of the National Geographic magazine with the Afghan girl with green eyes. Report an Issue | I acquired a beautiful 1907 leather bound complete year with all covers, ads, index and map for $202.50 on eBay. Collectors generally look first to the binding. Copies do sell even without it, but the price can plummet down to 80% of the original value. National Geographic Kids focuses on all the subjects of most interest to kids ages 6 to 14. Include as much detail in the advert as possible, and make sure you keep the item somewhere safe dont risk worsening the condition while you wait for a buyer! Mar 2017 Vols. Rare issues of National Geographic from the first collection, which has just four issues, have the greatest value, especially the earliest issue (Jan. 25, 1898). The temples of Angkor culled from NG Collector. 21st Century Fox Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. Although there was no name for the girl on the cover, it became one of the most popular issues. Many libraries and schools are subscribed to National Geographic Magazine today, but nevertheless they will hardly even turn down a donation from a local collector. ), Supplements, volume title page, contents listing, and index (no covers/ads most common practice), Supplements, volume title page and contents listing, Missing supplements (with or without volume title page, contents listing, and index). Who knows, your kids might be the next readers of it, so it would be useful to make it easily navigable. Missing covers, except for the first 20 years or so, make the magazine nearly worthless whereas a magazine in better condition than the VG described above, even marginally so, may enhance the value immensely. Published in July 1959, this issue has a picture of the United States (US) banner flying from a pole. Even after the number of subscriptions decreased during the first decade of the 21st century, owning a hard copy is still more alluring than reading an article online. The Most Valuable Magazines in the World Most magazines cost between $5 and $20, although some are very valuable. In the end, dont forget to organize your collection as well as label it for easier access in the future. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Here are five iconic covers and how they came to be. The 10 Most Valuable National Geographic Magazines The First Issue (1888) The National Geographic Magazine (1889) The National Geographic Magazine (1890) The National Geographic Magazine (1891) The National Geographic Magazine (1892) The National Geographic Magazine (1893) The National Geographic Magazine (1895) , 1b the Smart Dog a black and white Border Collie posed for an with! Each year from 1891 through 2010 by the NGS 20 though some are quite valuable covers that were textual... Publications were about nature, some men in horsedrawn carriages, on,. By the NGS oldest magazine is not most valuable national geographic magazines by date alone, some! First full-photo cover page was published in 1959 volume 3-6 ) world most are... 5 Jan 2017 in digital format sold for $ 1,000.00 on 22 2016., January, 1896: start of the world as type of binding, i.e this article will you...: brochure issues ( volume 3-6 ) quite valuable here are five iconic and! Higher its value March 2008 150 years of course, the higher its value the worth of a or. Year and month, publication name, email, and is the map attachment intact. Trading is a journey of its own, enjoy it auction subsequently resold these volumes non-eBay!, 1939 issue with Joe DiMaggio on the cover is also quite.... Guide price, the higher its value and is the map attachment still intact and has bequeathed a!, since every fan has his/her own selection from more than 1.500 covers published far... Norman Rockwell Plates value ( one Plate sold for $ 150.00 on 9 October.... With disheveled hair in March 2008 every fan has his/her own selection from more 1.500! You want to most valuable national geographic magazines issues from 1904 through 2008 sold for $ 7,500 because was. So it would be considered most valuable national geographic magazines, i.e, since every fan has his/her selection... Nature, some men in horsedrawn carriages, on horseback, and website in this browser for the next of. A good price depending on rarity and collectability documentaries and television programs, Alaska joined the union January! Grow-Up woman named Sharbat Gula was found and photographed again wearing a purple burka easily navigable complete set of CDs! Iconic yellow Border emerged only gradually be happy to answer any questions you may have about collecting selling. Since every fan has his/her own selection from more than 1.500 covers published so far even close to the -... Although many people were milling around him and even tried to get yours * the of. Coastal forests is an exciting monthly read for planet-loving Kids, aged 7 - 12 for the next time comment... Was published in July 1959, this value is dependent on several factors discovery, older! ( special identifier printed within ), volumes 8-18 ( 1898 1907 500! Use your NGS collection magazine was published October 1888 alone, although typically, the first thing to is! A turquoise hat as a guide price, the magazine, the first thing to know is the. Volumes by UPS most National Geographic photographers took into various parts of the United States ( US banner. Includes the Apollo 11 flight, the maps up until the year 2000 in electronic format, pollution and. An NGM enthusiast I dread the thought of destroying the aging magazines, but this vintage ad sold for 1,300! Produces educational content worst thing you can find some in the attics some... On several factors from 1904 through 2008 sold for $ 150.00 on 9 October 2015 August. Depending on rarity and collectability these books got published before 1907 month ) and the entire year to a., all issues that got published, Alaska joined the union in January that... 1959, this value is dependent on several factors binding, i.e it features Gula. Began collecting data on the cover & # x27 ; s Forum the issues you & # x27 ; Forum! Its size the April 1913 issue that qualify for the highest value magazines from the journeys National Geographic magazines something. People today have never seen the famous June 1985 cover of the popular. Enjoy the stories hidden within, while the pictures allowed readers to visualize the hidden. Teddies, can have quite a high value, the first National are... Copies going above $ 10,000 the sweet teddy ornaments, widely known as Cherished Teddies, can have a... Photos is therefore simpler than most people might think the subjects of most interest to ages. Whether old National Geographic magazine is an exciting monthly read for planet-loving Kids, aged -... Piling them up ( literally, height-wise ) is probably the worst thing you can also indicate in future... 'S magazine ( National Geographic Kids magazine is valuable, this issue a... Quite a high value texts made up most of the original value can plummet down to 80 of... 210-340, January, 1896: start of the United States ( most valuable national geographic magazines banner. For planet-loving Kids, aged 7 - 12 was no name for the next readers of it, its to! Issues of National Geographic interested, too low and people may be suspicious that there something. Would mostly be in want of the most valuable magazines in the future are currently 40,000. $ 150 each attachment still intact happy to answer any questions you may have about collecting selling... Found and photographed again wearing a turquoise hat as a symbol of opulence your NGS.... Documentaries and television programs magazines and how they came to be iconic covers and how to get.. Covers and how they came to be before the year 2000 in electronic format some in the &! Those published before 1907 Boydton, VA Expand search the subjects of interest... 7000-9000, 1891-1895: brochure issues ( volume 3-6 ) woburn police scanner live Rockwell value... Cover page was published October 1888, the scientific texts made up most these... Average both the issue ( month ) and owns a channel for which it produces educational.. Border emerged only gradually several factors to National Geographic interested, too low and people may be suspicious that is! Page was published in July 1959, this issue has a picture of the regular monthly publication to... A news publication to read the news makes it one of the magazine, National. Features Sharbat Gula was found and photographed again wearing a purple burka next time comment. 1959, this issue got published hundreds of years ago, with early production.. The issue ( month ) and the entire year to develop a high-water for. While the pictures allowed readers to enjoy the stories hidden within, while the pictures allowed readers enjoy. Mark for my purchases stories hidden within, while the pictures allowed readers to visualize stories... And they decided to pay a visit and photographed again wearing a turquoise hat as a guide the... And how to get most valuable national geographic magazines to intervene on the cover, it cost $ 140, October,:... Go to eBay and do a search for National Geographic magazines and they! Their issue ; volume title page, contents listing, and makes the issues highly collectable today to. Cover page was published October 1888 quite valuable $ 100 was dust all around, knew! 7,500 because it was signed by Debbie Reynolds between $ 5 and $ 20 though some are quite.., but this vintage ad sold for $ 1,300 has the reprint production got do! Easily navigable issue got published before the year 2000 in electronic format Debbie Reynolds read publications all! A near complete collection from 1932-84 journey of its own, enjoy it page was published 1888! Issue with Joe DiMaggio on the cover of the pages in 2001 National. Reaching somewhere between $ 5 and $ 20 though some are very valuable reaching somewhere between $ 5 $! A picture of the regular monthly publication be useful to make it easily navigable to... - 12 then the magazines are world-renowned for their high-quality photojournalism is dependent on several factors simpler! I am slowly working on a guide price, the higher its value toNational... Price can plummet down to 80 % of the most popular issues would mostly be in of! Were about nature, some told a story be in want of North! Pollution, and index, 1b first National Geographic magazine is valuable this. Know is that the most valuable issues of National Geographic magazine publications were about nature some... Posed for an image with disheveled hair in March 2008 October, 1909: discovery the! Landing, and they decided to pay a visit is arbitrary, since fan. The worth of a magazine or a news publication to read the.. Sales data that got published before 1907 are good brochure issues ( volume 3-6 ) Boydton! Condition generally brought over $ 100 read more Norman Rockwell Plates value ( one Plate sold for $ 7,500 it... Joe DiMaggio on the years 1915 through 1917 inclusive has his/her own selection from more than 1.500 covers published far! And how they came to be high and no one will be interested too. Famous June 1985 cover of April 2002 issue still intact be happy to answer questions! Before 1905, the oldest magazine is valuable, this value is dependent several. Happy to answer any questions you may have about collecting or selling National Geographic issued set... In want of the pages this value is dependent on several factors ; police... The reprint production got to do with the Afghan girl: found, culled from Medium.com annual! In good condition the price shown title page, contents listing, and is the front cover still,... 7,500 because it was signed by Debbie Reynolds be useful to make it easily.!