The Young Rebels failed because it was just another lousy action drama. Hilarie Thomson, in Tom Lisantis Drive-In Dream Girls: A Galaxy of B-Movie Starlets of the Sixties, discussed the quick demise of the series: This was an interesting failure. Linda ;o). When Tate was 20, she auditionedfor what becomePetticoat Junction, and was brought to the attention of Martin Ransohoff, executive producer of TheBeverly Hillbillies. Perhaps what doomed the series was its attempt to fit too many categories: action-adventure, historical fiction, comedy, romance. And generals yield to beardless Boys. He had already madea name for himself in Europeas a visionary and as a playboy. in 1980s. Philippe Forquets age 79 years old. Some reviewers say that it did. Philippe Forquet was born on September 27, 1940 and is 82 years old now. Jeremy and the others devised a plan to recover a number of canon captured by the British. ", After seeing the film atthe premiere, Debra told Vanity Fair about Robbie, "She made me cry because she sounded just like Sharon. WebFrench Actor Philippe Forquet was born Philippe Marcius Forquet de Dorne on 27th September, 1940 in Paris, France and passed away on 18th Feb 2020 aged 79. Thanks. I havent seen any of them since high school, when I saw it in first run. "I felt that, if you're serious about it, it's a lot of hard work. The humor, too, if not overdone. CBS and NBC began unveiling the new and returning shows on Sunday, September 13th. I found no confirmation of his death, but I did see that actor Christopher Stone, contemporary of Rick Ely & husband of Dee Wallace Stone, died on Oct. 20, 1995 at age 53 WebCause-of-death statements on death certificates capture the sequence of events leading to death, plus the time interval between the onset of each condition and death. According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Actor Philippe Forquets net worth is $1-5 Million at the age of 79 years old. Instead, he helps Jeremy and the Society destroy a number of cannon protecting a nearby valley. I felt exactly the way you did, Jim Nelson. I seem to like all the shows that get cancelled. The larger trend towards relevancy taken by the 1970-1971 season was likewise mostly a failure. The 30 year old (1971) star of "The Young Rebels" was recalling with deep sadness, his one and a half year romance with the then unknown actress-a romance that Being scheduled in the 7-8PM Sunday time slot meant keeping violence to a minimum. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213033032/rick-ely. Well done Lou Gossett! But never saw or heard of it since 1970. [2006], He succeeded his struggle against a cancer. Our band in jr. high played Chester about that time as well. I remember it vividly, but was only 5 or 6 when it was made, so we must have seen it a few years later in Australia. Pulmonary embolism representing 6% of death was exclusively found in spinal onset patients and is related to lower limbs disability. His last TV appearance was on One Life to Live in 1981. "In 1969 my sister was involved in an event that changed the country in ways that still resonate," her sister Debra Tate wrote in the introduction to the 2014 bookSharon Tate Recollection, featuring dozens of photos of the late star. Like many of youI have been looking for a disc or tape. I was just 8 when the show aired, but it was probably the first television show that produced a real crush. Meanwhile, Sharon was desperately not only fighting for her own life but also that of her unborn baby. Which of course since it has not been officially released on DVD by its original studio (Screen Gems the TV department of Columbia Pictures, both presently owned by Sony Pictures) I of course purchased even though the condition overall of the recordings are not great but fall under the category of what I call watchable and better than nothing. I loved that show, it touched me psychologically, although I was only 10. Some of the shows now, are an utter waste of time. Given the setting and role of the characters, plots were about what would expected. WHY NOT. Jeremys father, played by Will Geer in a number of episodes, was mayor of Chester and a Loyalist. Somehow that show connected and we didnt. I was a big fan also. Each of the murders was brutal - Jay was was shot after he tried to stop the gang attacking Sharon and then stabbed seven times. Official Sites, This youthful, darkly handsome actor played smooth, continental lovers in the 60s but his career lost steam come the decade's end. We filmed right next door to The Partridge Family, which started the same year. I didnt know it was from 1970. It was basically the same idea. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213033032/rick-ely, Happy New Year from Television Obscurities, 81st Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor. Tate first met Roman Polanski in 1966 when she was in London filmingEye of the Devil. News at the premiere. The eldest of Col. Paul Tate and Doris Tate's three daughters, Sharonwas born in Texasat 6 months old she was crowned Miss Tiny Tot of Dallas after her grandma submitted photos of herbut the family moved aroundfrequentlyas dictated by Paul's Army career. He and partner John Calley signed Tate to a seven-year contract. He called Isak Poole an opportunity to portray a great deal of strength with an image that is not derogatory for Black peoplewhich Im concerned about [9]. Billings and the song really existed, although while it may have been written with some young rebels in mind, it obviously wasnt really named to commemorate the deeds of The Young Rebels. I remember watching the Nathan Hale episode, but not any others I thought it was pretty boring, and even then, at age 13, I could tell that the attempt to connect the American revolutionaries with the protesters of the sixties was laughable. "She loved me." Philippe Marcius Forquet Viscount de Dorne, a descendant of French aristocracy, was born on September Its a noble kind of TV series, but we dont get too schmaltzy about it. When they first met, "I thought she was quite pretty, but I wasn't at that time very impressed," Polanski later told detectives at Parker Center, headquarters of the Los Angeles Police Department, after his wife was killed. I thought it was a wonderful preview for the American Bicentennial celebration. In early May, Broadcasting reported that Rick Ely, Alex Henteloff and Lou Gossett had been signed to star in The Young Rebels [7]. Faraway Hill Clue on the September 13 Episode of Jeopardy! Lafayette, impressed by the Society, began assigning them missions only they could carry out. Each DVD has a label with its episode number on it. Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, California, U.S. In one episode Isak was shocked to learn that his brother, a runaway slave, had become an informant. It's more imagination. I am a teacher doing research on the American Revolution for a lesson plan. But I could not see any of that age group caring about anything but themselves. As for most takes on the murders, Debrawhohadendorsed a biopic that was going to star Kate Bosworthsaid, "It's been exploitative since day one. I loved this show. It may have worked as just an action-adventure series if that was all it was. As yet another French nobleman, he played the American Revolutionary War hero, General Marquis De Lafayette. I had a huge crush on Philippe Forquet that lasted for years! That leaves the romance between Jeremy and Elizabeth. It was canceled after one season.He and Linda Morand took time off and got married. Must have been 8 at the time. It gave me a sense of patriotism, well, for an 8 year old. I miss my long time friend. If anyone has more of this, please let me know!!! Out of just the 12 new ABC programs it ranked seventh based on rating and fourth based on share. The fact of its cancellation at a time of great current revolution and civil unrest speaks more to the stupidity of the schedulers in whatever form they take, and how they influence what we watch and thus meaningfully influence our lives, is nothing short of frightening and a lesson for current and future generations: beware the men, for men they are, that pull the strings, I loved this series as well.taped them all on my cassette recorder.learned every line.I ADORED Rick Elywas totally smitten.. The audience went, huh? [26]. Celebrating 20 Years of Obscure Television, 2003-2023. I majored in history and do Rev war reenacting. Tate's mother, Doris, spent the rest of her life as an advocate for the rights of victims and their families,and Debra, for years the de facto spokesperson for the family, has been committed to seeing that her sister's killers remain in prison. Authorities contacted Polanski's friend and business manager, William Tennant, who was on the tennis court when he got the call, and he went to the house and identified Tate, Frykowski, Folger and Sebring, but had no idea who the young man in the car was. I have Ricks album as well! And she was once (Sometimes I show a couple of eps to new friends and they really like it and this is a new century! "We have a good arrangement; Romanlies and I pretend to believe him.". The last 6 years or so was difficult for Rick, he never quite reached that stardom he had hoped for. "It was pretty spectacular. Place of Death. When final national Nielsen ratings for the week of September 14th were released, the premiere was outside the Top 40. Debra Tatevoiced her displeasureat the movie's concept, which is that the doomed actress was receiving subliminal messages and foresaw her fate, and that of her friends. There is fascinating information on Philippe Forquette, who played General Lafayette, and who was quite a hottie as well. I saw the show in Mexico, when I was 11, in 1975. Garretson would briefly be a suspect, because he was alive and well and in the guest house when police arrived on the scene. "Wearing some of the pieces of her jewelry and spending time with her sister definitely made me feel closer to her in a way that I don't think I could have without, you know," Robbie told E! I cannot believe Im seeing these comments after all these years Ive been searching for quite some time for news of Rick Ely. Filmed in France, the film told of an American student (Seberg) who falls in love with an aristocrat (Forquet) while visiting France. WebPhilippe Forquet Death Fact Check Philippe is alive and kicking and is currently 82 years old. Fan fiction is still written about the show on various sites. Mia Farrow was said to be too distraught to go to the service, and numerous celebrities were reportedly terrified, wondering if the killings would continue and famous people would be targeted. I was 36 when this show aired. But it all started with this show. When the network did release its schedule on February 26th, it included not one but two new programs whose included the word young in them [3]. In the episode, his patriotic compositions offend the British. Theres next to nothing about him on the Internet. You might like to check out the bio on Find A Grave I sent the petition to the local station that aired the show, and received a letter saying they had nothing to do with whether or not a program was cancelled. Monte Markham guest starred in the November 29th, 1970 episode as composer William Billings. Involved in the early 1960s; reportedly was abusive to Tate, who ended the relationship after being hospitalized. More shows like this should be made to reach out to the many of children and adults who use TV as a learning medium. Joining these shows were the Now sitcoms which included Nancy, Barefoot in the Park and The Headmaster. This is apparently a common problem currently with official DVD releases of such classic TV series by studios. She became a fashion archivist and consultant. series suffered from too many. ", "I know for a fact she did not have a premonitionawake or in a dreamthat she and Jay would have their throat cut," she added. He played against Rod Steiger in the Russian co-production, Waterloo (1970) as the Duc De La Bedoyere, the Generals aide de camp.He did return to Hollywood in 1970 to star in the ABC TV Series, The Young Rebels (1970) produced by Aaron Spelling. WebLowest Rated: 14% Camille 2000 (1969) Birthday: Sep 27, 1940. Gossett, in an August 1970 article in The New York Times, suggested that Rick Elys long-haired rebel image is done quite deliberately for people who frown on long hair per se, to remind them that our first young revolutionariesLafayette, Nathan Hale, Aaron Burrwere only 19 and 20 years old. Ely played Jeremy Larkin, leader of the Yankee Doodle Society, whose public persona was that of a fairly inept, lackadaisical youth and the perfect cover. More on the Young Rebels can be found at TV.com. Ive seen more authentic dialogue on the menu of the Old English Room of the Pearson Hotel. And the New York Posts Bob Williams, although conceding that it was a bang-bang case ofadventure exploitation, felt the series was utterly without meaning for the customary young customers of Lassie., Lawrence Laurent of the Washington Post was more ambivalent, writing that the series isnt bad enough to condemn and it isnt good enough to praise. Wow I had no idea people still remembered this show at all, much less being so passionate about it. Their veterans flee before our youth Set during the Revolutionary War, the show followed the adventures of four youngsters in the Colonies fighting for independence. General Lafayette oo la la. Over the course of the episodes guest stars included John Colicos, David Soul, Larry Linville, Paul Winfield and Farrah Fawcett. Officers did not link the two crime scenes. There was speculation that Tate and her pals were devil worshipers, or they had been having some sort of orgy that went wrong, or at the very least Tate had been having sex with Sebring, her old boyfriend. The actress was murdered by Charles Manson's Family when she was eight-and-a-half months pregnant. I had Sharon back in front of me again, and it was too short a visit. 4 talking about this. I was a big fan of this show when I was a child. Does anyone know if they exist? WebPhilippe Forquet made his film debut in 1960 in La Menace while still an art student and over the next few years became popular in France. playerInstance.setup({ Then, on August 9, 1969, Tate's life ended in the most horrific way. A total of 15 episodes were broadcast, the last of which was seen on January 3rd, 1971. It is one of the first shows I can remember having an african american man in a heroic role. I assume they were removed because of music ownership rights issues. I also feel I have lost someone important. Tate returned alone from Europe in July via ocean liner because she was too far along in her pregnancy to fly, andthe coupleplanned to stay with her until Polanski returned for the birth of their baby. Murdered By Stabbing. In 1963, according to what Tate's mother would later tell police about her daughter's life, she had been involved with a French actor who at one point beat her up so badly she needed to go to the hospital. He was stabbed seven times and shot once. Sharon is dead, and Voytek and Gibby and Jay." He returned to France where he continued acting in television throughout the 1970s, also returning to the United States to film The Young Rebels in 1970-71. For it is essentially a Western in colonial costume, with the British replacing the Indians. By comparison, Cecil Smith of the Los Angeles Times was practically effusive with his praise: Dont get the idea its kiddie stuffits worth watching whatever your age.. See more ideas about actors, 1969 fashion, 1970s clothing. Girls found his dimples and French accent "devastating." And then today, my random memory brought it back to me so I decided to google it and see if it was real or a figment of my imagination. February the 18th, 2020: Philippe Forquet (Gen. Lafayette) died. I'd pour a glass of wine and she wouldn't touch it. Watson then started to tie Sharon and Jay together with a rope round their necks and slung it over the beam in the living room. Prostate cancer: 31,620 deaths. To address the historical aspects of the series, each episode ended with voice over, reading aloud text that scrolled on the screen. Do they have any available? According to ajarring mention in Ed Sanders' 2016 biography Sharon Tate: A Life,Tate told Roman Polanski on their first date that she was raped by a soldier in Italy when she was 17, but as Polanski put it, she saidthe attack "'hadn't left heremotionally scarred.'". I would really like to know if there is a way of getting the whole series on dvd. Thanks for listening, everyone. ", (Earlierversions of this story were published April 5, 2019, at 3 a.m. PT and Aug. 9, 2019, at 3 a.m. PT). He seldom went outside, finding comfort watching the doves nest on his balcony. IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE IT PUT ON DVD IT WOULD ONLY BE 1 BOXSET. But the actress spent a lot of time with Tate, aided in her cause by Debra, whom Tarantinotalked to beforehand to assuage her fears thather sister would once again be grist for the Manson mill. ), I thought Id look into this report of Rick Elys passing. I got it. She then began dating Philippe Forquet in a tumultuous relationship, which included instances of domestic abuse which at one point sent Tate to the hospital in 1964. I did find some fans who taped it, as I did, on VHS. I am interested in finding videos or dvds of the shows. In April of 1970, Herb Jacobs of TV Stations Inc. predicted that The Young Rebels would average a 28 share of the audience from 7-8PM, with Lassie on CBS drawing a 31 share and Hogans Heroes a 30 share (for an average 30 share) while NBC would get a 27 share from 7-7:30PM with Wild Kingdom and a 37 share for the first half-hour of The Wonderful World of Disney (for a 32 share). "Never, not really," she replied. By the way, Lou Gossett Jr. was also in the series. Atkins died of cancer in 2009. "But then I saw her again. "I checked with all of her living friends. Elizabeths uncle, who was her guardian, disapproved of her relationship with Jeremy. If you have any unfortunate news that this page should Sharon "was so sweet and so kind, intelligent, and lighter than the air in every way And Margot did a beautiful job at portraying that. A thorough portrayal ofTate's life, in which she's back to being the star of her own story, has yet to occur onscreen, but Quentin Tarantinodidset out to remedy history withOnce Upon a Time in Hollywood, which ends with Tate alive and well, her would-be killers vanquished by the actor (Leonardo DiCaprio) who lives next door, his devoted stuntman (Brad Pitt, in an Oscar-winning turn) and a really good girl named Brandy (Sayuri, an American Pit Bull Terrier). I didn't smoke or anything. The home's owner, Rudy Altobelli, hired a live-in caretaker named William Garretson to look after the property. By the time she got pregnant at the end of 1968, there was already speculation that Tate was hanging hopes of saving her already-floundering marriage upon the baby. The series quite obviously attempted to draw parallels between the radical youth of 1960s America with the young men who took up arms against the British during the Revolutionary War. Celebrities and Famous People Who Passed Away Today in History. I was just on IMDB, and found that Rick Ely passed away on December 9, 2019 after a long illness. Gossett played Isak Poole, a former slave trained a blacksmith who purchased his own freedom and joined the fight against the British. I had to have it at the time. WebDied. The TYR fans are sad. 4 According to provisional data, in 2020, there were notable changes in the number and ranking of deaths compared with 2019. Rare Photos of Sharon Tate - Sharon Tate Pictures - Esquire Meanwhile, therehas been no cease in the telling and retelling of Manson's story, howthe diminutivecareer criminal from Ohio got people tokill for him and how he held sway over countless others. Manson, played by Damon Herriman, is only briefly glimpsed, and Robbie's Tate largelyruns parallel to the saga of her next-door neighbor, DiCaprio's fadingTV star Rick Dalton, and his stuntman/errand guy/devoted buddy Cliff Booth, played by Pitt. The actress had a handful of B-movies,the most memorable beingValley of the Dolls, and some TV guest spots to her name when, at 26 years old andeight-and-a-halfmonths pregnant, she was one of seven people murdered by members of Charles Manson's so-called "family" over the course of two nights of carnage that shook Hollywood. The September 27th episode also ranked third in its time slot [17]. You can imagine how excited I was over this series; and yes, I too bought that issue of 16 magazine with Rick Ely on the cover. Sure would be fun to see the show issued on DVD! Grace Van Dien played Tate in Mary Harron's 2019 filmCharlie Says, but it's mainly about how Manson, played by Matt Smithof The CrownandHouse of the Dragonfame, manipulated his "family" members. I loved the characters in this show, and it brings back many happy memories for me. "I feel, at least in my estimation, that every person, if they want to be an actress or they want to stay in the acting worldwhich is a pretty tough worldbefore you even make an appearance, it's very necessary to learn your craft first, and take as much time, and do as much as you can.". Younger viewers may have tuned, perhaps even in large numbers, but the overall ratings picture was bleak. Then he just disappeared in 1974. Their anti war activities had more to do with them not serving than it had to do with protesting war in itself. I loved the show, enjoyed the stories. He was the one to call Polanski, who was in London finishing production onThe Day of the Dolphin. I was telling my husband that I had named my pet turtle Lafayette because of the crush I had on Philippe as a kid. An Associated Press article published in mid-August noted that the networks were continuing to focus on the 18-35 demographic and suggested that the success of ABCs The Mod Squad (which had premiered in September of 1968) spawned a number of Now dramas in the upcoming season, including The Young Rebels, The Interns, The Young Lawyers and The Storefront Lawyers [6]. Next she shot The Wrecking Crew with Dean Martin and even performed her own martial arts stunts. We show the ugliness of war and the weariness of soldiers [10]. Her agent negotiated a salary of $750 a month for her and she moved into the all-women Hollywood Studio Club, the onetime home of Marilyn Monroe, Kim Novak, Rita Morenoand many more familiar names. Because it was a good show. Its been great to remember such a lovely program. of The Young Rebels complete series of 15 episodes consisting of VHS to DVD transferred recordings from the 1987 CBN Cable (later known as the Family Channel. He insisted he had only stayed behind in London to work on his movie, that he was planning to be in L.A. for the birth of his first child. "It's classless how everyone is rushing to release something for the 50th anniversary of this horrific event. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. They sent for posters of him and entered contests to win a date. When I caught him accidentally on a SoapI dont remember which one it wasI would try to catch it between classes at University! While waiting for the other shoe to drop, he realized that Tate was as good of a person as she seemed. I've been dealing with this for 50 years now. Sharon herself was stabbed many times in the chest and strangled. Sexiness to me is part of every movement. "She was so sweet and so lovely that I didn't believe it, you know," he marveled to police. WebThe Table also presents leading causes of death in the US for the years 2015 to 2020. He co-starred with Sandra Dee in Take Her, She's Mine as her romantic interest, and while the film was popular, it did not lead to other projects. During this time, Forquet became engaged to the American actress Sharon Tate, but the relationship ended because of career conflicts. He studied drama at The Actors Studio in New York City. The Young Rebels also competed against Wild Kingdom on NBC (at 7:00 pm) and Hogans Heroes on CBS (at 7:30 pm). PS. Norman Dresser of the Toledo Blade suggested that viewers have not rejected relevancy but phony relevancy, bad scripts, and just plain boring programs [24]. Born in Paris, Forquet made his film debut in 1960 in La Menace while still an art student and over the next few years became popular in France. Highly regarded for his appearance he was expected to make a successful transition into American films, after appearing opposite Jean Seberg, In the French Style (1963). The funeral for Sharon Tate and their unborn baby, Paul Richard Polanski,was held on Aug. 13 at Holy Cross Cemetery. Globe Photos Inc/REX/Shutterstock; Andrew Cooper/Sony Pictures, Hulton-Deutsch Collection/CORBIS/Corbis via Getty Images, two nights of carnage that shook Hollywood. Its got its own cult? He was 83. The filmmakers purport to have been inspired by an interview Tate gave in 1968, in which she mentioned having a dream about being murdered by cult members. He remarried and had three children. A big hello to all the fans of the show. As per the usual wrong information about where to project my project (the parental front). Philippe Forquet Viscount de Dorne born September 27, 1940 in Paris, France, is an actor and the son of a wealthy aristocrat, Marcius Forquet Viscount de Dorne. Had a great sense of humor and delighted in playing jokes on his friends. Great Escape legend Steve McQueen is also rumoured to have had a relationship with Tate before she started dating hairdress Jay Sebring, who was killed alongside her by Manson's followers. Biographer Sanderswrites about Tate'srelationship with Philippe Forquet,whom she lived with in New York while briefly studying acting with Lee Strasberg. They were babies and they had the full responsibility for writing the Declaration of Independence [8]. Well. Dont know that it was the series, but it didnt hurt! Birthday: September 27, 1940How Old - Age: 82. She was a movie star and mother-to-be on the brink of super stardom. I never heard a word about the show, and wondered if anyone else even remembered it. While she was being groomed forbigger things, Ransohoff would have his new future star wear a black wig (so she wouldn't be recognized yet) and appear in a bit role on The Beverly Hillbilliesto get her used to being on camera.