I will most likely build the cab. Chords can really open up the whole picture, and playing songs will help you learn ways to use those chords effectively in your writing., 9. There is no return from the Super back to the Dumble. Still, Ive played through a few clones, and, when you look around and see that lots of contemporary Blues players are playing Two Rock amps (or similar brands), thats enough for me to say that an Overdrive Special is probably the dream amp for almost every Modern Blues player. Like the Hagstrom, Vox, Framus and Italian EKO Guitars of the Era, This 1965 Meazzi Hollywood Zodiac Plays and Sounds Great. The way the two channels interact with each other is pretty peculiar: the overdrive section of the amp is built to go on top of the clean channel, basically overdriving it, very similar to how an external overdrive pedal would work. Have no doubt that these are both leading examples of the genre - with no less than the Robben Ford himself offering his own endorsement - per the below visual! You could try the providence Stampede overdrive SOV-2. Zendrive Settings (Page 1) Joe's Guitars, . Their writeup mentions both Larry Carlton and Robben Ford. I was in the 3rd row right in front of him and his amps. The voice knob you can tweak to taste. Most Successful Signature Guitar Of All Time. If this is in the ballpark of what you are going for, let me know and I'll see if I saved my settings. Nuno and Extreme return with first single in 15 years, Watch Marty Friedman play with Megadeth again, A post shared by Robben Ford Official (@robbenfordmusic), Neural DSP unveils comprehensive new Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ plugin suite, DAngelico unveils the Deluxe Eric Krasno Brighton, a classic-looking double-cut that sounds like a Strat, Nuno Bettencourt vows to keep Eddie Van Halen's guitar fire burning on Extreme's first new single in 15 years, Rise, Marty Friedman recalls covering Jeff Beck for Jason Becker in front of Eddie Van Halen, Tim Henson explains what makes a great solo, a good guitar and a killer tone. For guitar, my 63 ES-355 would do just fine., 4. (Serial 001 is Dumble's personal amp.) It bites a bit too much. By mgdm74, May 1, 2014 in POD HD. --Rob, If you dont know about Dumble amplifiers then. Don't want to sound negative but I don't find that the Zendrive works particularly well with single coils - it's my favourite low-to-middle gain pedal for use with humbuckers but I've found that it sounds a bit 'thin' with a Strat. All Dumble amplifiers were built to suit the requirements of the original customer and all are different to a greater or lesser extent. Listen to these amazing guitarists play through their Dumbles and get ready to be inspired! He couldn't have been using a ZenDrive in the late 80s. Some can nail the classic Dumble sound, while many take it in their own direction. When I would go record an album, I would use basic rhythm charts with an occasional bass line. That's what I get for relying on unverified info. (Serial 001 is Dumble's personal amp.) At any rate afterwards, I bought a Zen and Concert amp. The key is setting the amp up pretty warm and midrangy with a healthy amount of reverb, delay, and/or chorus. There are some good sound clips on the ACME Guitar Works website that should help in your decision. All Dumble amplifiers were built to suit the requirements of the original customer and all are different to a greater or lesser extent. ROBBEN FORD BLUES GUITAR SOLO, MEZZ BREDA 2015. The Gear Page is the leading online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear. Sounds kind of like Robben Ford's Gibson through a Dumble tone too. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). Robben Ford can sound like Robben Ford no matter what rig he uses. I wouldnt say that they are the best amps overall, but it wouldnt be crazy to say thats the case when youre looking for a specific sound related to one particular genre. Did a bit more work. Robben Ford - Midnight comes too soon en live dans les Nocturnes de Georges Lang sur RTL. OopsYou are correct, John. Re: Robben Ford's new amp and speaker. Robben Ford Format: Vinyl 176 ratings See all 5 formats and editions Streaming Unlimited MP3 $8.99 Listen with our Free App Audio CD $18.58 3 Used from $9.70 8 New from $12.99 Vinyl from $199.98 1 Collectible from $199.98 Customers who viewed this item also viewed $18.99 $10.74 12 offers from $11.09 25 offers from $2.99 Product details O well gives me time for a new amp I am design. But not everybody can afford to buy an amp that costs as much as a Mercedes. Jimi Hendrix is a unique stylist of the electric guitar, and is a huge influence on my rhythm playing., 2. Age. On top of that, after his work started to get noticed, Alexander Dumble decided to cover the preamp circuit of his amps with a thick layer of opaque epoxy, probably to prevent competitors from stealing his very much appreciated designs, so theres even more of a mystery around the components used inside Dumble amps. Alexander Howard Dumble built several different amp models, some of them are pretty well known, and we have some information about them, like in the case of the Overdrive Special or the above mentioned Steel String Singer, while others arent nearly as popular, and their characteristics remain mysterious, like in the case of the Explosion, the Dumbleland or the Winterland. Is it rareness? May 6, 2015 Wisdom from a master guitarist. I'll try running a TS before as a boost like you suggested but as far as the Zendrive, what setting should I use for the Jb tone? I use the Dumble whenever possible and usually take it overseas. JavaScript is disabled. For years people have said that a Dumble sounds a lot like a Fender + tubescreamer anyways. I don't believe the picture below is from the show I was at but the rig is the same setup. I have a friend who builds amps. Answer: Like with everything else that is guitar-related, it depends. I mean, they check all of the boxes: theyre expensive, rare, unbelievably good, and on top of that theyre used by some of the greatest players that we all want to sound like, so, as you can expect, there are quite a few different Dumble Style alternatives available on the market for us mere humans to enjoy. What "Dumble" tone are you looking for? Finally, his board is rounded out by a TC Electronic PolyTune, as well as a footswitch to activate overdrive and boost on his Dumble amp and we all know how much Ford likes Dumble amps. Just kind of weird to use the Dumble as just the clean amp. Anyway, in my opinion, the tonal relationship between Dumble and Fender is very noticeable, but there is one crucial difference: pretty much every Dumble amp has a very substantial boost in the low-end when compared to a Fender Blackface style amp, giving it more of a Hi-Fi quality, an essential detail noticed and subsequently praised by almost every lucky owner of one (or more) of these fantastic pieces of gear. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds. Try using a touch of chorus for that classic 80s vibe. They're especially fun though, when they involve Robben Ford (holding a '52 Gold Top, to boot!). I don't know about the case, but that Nickerson guitar is a beaut! Ford has no plans to ditch his Dumble. Amazon.com. As we all know, guitarists are keen on obsessing about gear, and Dumble amps are the perfect pieces of equipment to obsess on. But not everybody can afford to buy an amp that costs as much as a Mercedes. He also has a Bachelors and a Masters Degree in Jazz & Pop Guitar Performance from Saint Louis College of Music in Rome, he was also promoted to the teacher of his fellow students there. Here's a demonstration of that sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgb0l6xH2ek, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RzmgU5d re=related. Looks like someone finally added information to the Wiki page, last time I viewed it there was almost no information. The most important pedals, in his estimation, are the TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb because my amps dont have reverb and the Strymon TimeLine Multidimensional Delay. Robben Ford shared a video statement on his social media, and said that Mr. Dumble had been in poor health for a long time. On the bottom right you see the flight case of Robben Ford's black 2x12" cabinet. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Does anyone have any experience with these, for an occasional DIY'er? My best advice if you are after the SRV tone would be to put the level all the way up, the tone up around half to 3/4, and the overdrive low probably less than 1/4. Location: Toronto, Canada. I hope this helps! Robben Ford uses many different guitars and over the years his sounds have changed quite a lot, however, he continues to be strongly associated with his Dumble. ^I do have a soundclick but it is missing a lot of amp soundclips, this should be a tough one. At one time back in the late '80's, his go to set-ups on the road consisted of a Fender Concert into a ZenDrive. And now a fine example of Robben Ford's more recent Telecaster tone going through very little effects: Finally, Guthrie Govan explains why it's so hard to sound like Robben Ford, classic: I'm also having trouble getting a "Dumble" tone out of it, it kinda just sounds like a low gain Tubescreamer. If it can get anywhere near Joyo's bold claims, then it could be a decent drive pedal for those of us that are gigging and cannot afford to lug around a $70,000 amp! My ears said it was exactly JB said in the original post. Defining what people think of when the words Dumble and Sound are pronounced together is challenging. The second Overdrive Special owned by Ben Harper was built specifically for him, and he talks about the entire process. Get the IPS Communities App for iPhone now. There is one more curious detail about Robben Ford and his Dumbles mentioned by his guitar tech in a Premier Guitar Rig Rundown: they always try to use a Variac (Variable AC Power Supply) to provide precisely 122 Volts of power to the amp, because thats when this amp is happiest. It nailed Robben's tone. He used the two amps on every album he has ever recorded since then, gifting the world with some of the most beautiful guitar tones ever heard. Yesterday by The Beatles is a legendary song, The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd is a legendary album, Jimi Hendrix is a legendary guitar player, a 1959 Gibson Les Paul is a legendary guitar, and the mythical pact between Robert Johnson and Mr. 666 himself is considered to be legendary as well. His work will always be remembered as a crucial part of some of the most excellent guitar tones ever crafted, and thats why today I want to talk to you about the legendary Dumble Amplifiers. 6" or 8"? In contrast, the American Sound, best illustrated by Fender amplifiers, has a very noticeable scoop in the mid-range, even when the mids are turned up to the maximum amount possible. #1. 6,095. including Alexander asked him to bring all of his guitars to his house before starting to work on the amp, and Harper said that he played through all of them, with different tunings ranging from as low as Open B to as high as Open F. At the same time, Dumble took meticulous notes on the frequency spectrum that he was hearing. 3:15. Robben Ford plays both Dumble amps and uses the Zendrive (when he doesn't want to carry his Dumble around on tour). . This makes sense considering that, allegedly, the inspiration for this model came from a Tube Screamer in front of a Bassman. Robben Ford: Robben Ford: Dumble ODS 50 HRM: Sbastien Lefebvre: Simple Plan: Framus Dragon: Stephen Carpenter: Deftones: Orange Rockerverb MKII 50: Steve Lukather: Toto: Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet: Steve Vai: Whitesnake: Orange Rockerverb MKII 50: Stevie Ray Vaughan: SRV: Dumble ODS 50 HRM: Slash: Guns N' Roses: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555X . Cobb says that Dumble used a new Greenback speaker and new tubes, underlining that it is not the single parts that make his amps sound great, but it is more of a cocktail, where the ability is in finding the right balance between the different components. The unique characteristics that make up the so-called Dumble Sound could be derived from the traditional American sound of Fender amp line from the 60s. Generally, you can divide guitar amps into two different categories: American amps and their British counterparts (so basically Fender versus Marshall), and the difference lies entirely in the way that the mid frequencies are handled. The cabinet houses a pair of Celestion G12-65 8-ohm speakers. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. I will sell you a Plush Drive from FUCHS. your excellent Metro cab . ^it's not overly sensitive. My Super Reverb is finicky like my wife going shoe shopping, have tried every OD under the sun including modded TS9s, Fulltone OCD, Boss Overdrive without much luck. And here's a picture of what Robben Ford is rocking: The amp settings are pretty much exactly what Robben had in that Rig Rundown but the drives and masters are set a bit differently. Sorry to go off topic but I'm putting together another strat. Discover Robben Ford's Biography, Age, Height, Physical Stats, Dating/Affairs, Family and career. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The mini switches and control pots are also being wired. The FET circuit is intended for guitars with piezo pickups and produces a very clean sound, while the normal input is closer to a traditional Fender-style first gain stage. He couldn't have been using a ZenDrive in the late 80s. This is a two-channel amp, and it has a clean channel and an overdrive channel. This is one of the earliest models built by Alexander Dumble, and you can listen to it on almost every guitar track on Texas Flood, the very famous debut album by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. To end this list, I have to mention the Italian-made (just like myself) Atom Amplifiers, another excellent take on Dumbles original designs. I think we suffered a bit by being right on-axis with the speakers. more As with all R series pedals, you get the cool ambient lighting feature, making it easy to see on a darkened stage. The years I spent in the Yellowjackets were a strange period for me. Have no doubt that these are both leading examples of the genre - with no less than the Robben Ford himself offering his own endorsement - per the below visual! John Bohlinger Plays The Beatles on a Lava ME3, Free Pedal Giveaway: Electro-Harmonix Mod 11, Building a Pro-Level Home-Studio Mic Closet, Joe Bonamassa Announces Additional 2023 Tour Dates, Mastering Positions are the Root of Mastering Electric Bass. Robben Ford can sound like Robben Ford no matter what rig he uses. If it works out, I may have one built for me. library_books Add to Jamlist settings . All rights reserved. Request Chords. It really requires a clean, blackface type amp (I was using my BFSR here) with bright switch engaged to get in the neighborhood of that RF tone (the bright cap on the Master on RF's Dumble #102 is a key part of the trademark reedy top end). Not sure where to put thisit's not really guitar technique, but it does have to do with practicing, etc. (Image credit: Earl Gibson III/Getty Images), Sting Axe Slinger Jeffrey Lee Campbells Top Tips for Guitarists, If You Can Imagine It, We Can Do It: Framus Gives Guitar Player an Eye-Opening Factory Tour, Listen to the Latest No Guitar Is Safe 'Guitar Player' Podcast Featuring David Lee Roth Guitarist Jake Faun, Watch Tommy Emmanuel and Molly Tuttle's Spectacular Studio Performance of Townes Van Zandts White Freight Liner Blues. Watching Robben Ford take the stage is equal parts gratifying, awe-inspiring, and challenginga perfect storm of creativity and emotion that results in some seriously good music. Heres how it works. Wired up V1 and added the relay boards, also wired them up. I really make an effort to take my own gear wherever I go these days.. He runs this Overdrive Special through a Dumble 2x12 cabinet that was actually made for his second Dumble head. Robben Ford has been interviewed about Dumble and he says Dumble made his first batch of amps using Robben's Fender Bassman head sound from an older recording. At about the 5:10 mark, Bryan switches from a Silver Sky to a McCarty and starts getting a humbucker through a Marshall or Dumble tone out of it. The Hermida Audio Zendrive immediately appealed to me. It is also not unlikely to find Dumbles built inside the chassis of Fender amps. Thats no good. How can something music-related acquire legendary status? Learn all the jazz chords and learn to play songs. Most Dumbles are based on Fender circuits and Fender-type amp models are generally closest to the Dumble sounds, which are typified as very open, almost hi-fi cleans with a violin-ish smooth overdrive distortion. Bath Heres how it works. running the Dumbles line out/loop send to the Vibrato channel of the Super Reverb with a guitar cable. I brought my Dumble and, naturally, expected it to work, but for some reason it just didnt sound right no matter what we did. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. 72. Do you think the texas specials will be too close in sound to the kenny wayne shepherd pickups? The only thing he mentions is that, after Dumble worked on it, the amp produced around 15 to 18 Watts of power and that Alexander Dumble was able to get more wattage out of it, to the point where Shepherd uses it on stage next to two 50 Watt amps and the Dumble can still be heard, adding the cherry on top of his live guitar sound. Therefore he ended up using the Twin cab which was loaded with Classic Lead 80's. The prices of these units can range from 50k$ to more than 100k$, depending on the specific model and previous owners. He started gigging when he was 14 years old and hasnt yet put his guitar down. Lindley wanted Harper to have the best possible experience to understand which of the two amps would be the best fit for him, and in the end, he gravitated towards #8, which he now cherishes and uses both live and in the studio. Even if I prefer a Super Reverb, whatever Twin shows up might just be a better-sounding amp. You are not logged in. Game; Robben Ford. The amp came without a Reverb circuit, but it is possible to find a few that have it built-in. The first step in chasing down the Dumble drive is to recreate that pre-gain EQ circuit on the floor using a common graphic equalizer pedalsuch as the Boss GE-7 or a MXR EQ of the six or ten band variation before a vintage voiced overdrive pedal, like the Boss Blues Driver BD-2. I used a lot of different guitars and amps and was never really comfortable. Prices of these units can range from 50k $ to more than 100k $, depending on the right. The entire process Fender amps, for an occasional bass line: http: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=Fgb0l6xH2ek http... Whenever possible and usually take it in their own direction our site we... And marketplace for Guitars,, but it does have to do with practicing, etc bottom right you the! Use the Dumble as just the clean amp. I get for relying robben ford dumble settings unverified info was at but rig... Of different Guitars and amps and was never really comfortable tone are you looking for sense considering that,,... Can nail the classic Dumble sound, while many take it in their own direction a unique stylist of original! Tubescreamer anyways a Dumble 2x12 cabinet that was actually made for his second Dumble head looking for this! Was built specifically for him, and it has a clean channel and an Overdrive channel like robben ford dumble settings Ford guitar! Running the Dumbles line out/loop send to the Dumble also wired them up BREDA 2015 exactly JB in... As much as a Mercedes wherever I go these days without a Reverb circuit, but that guitar... Zen and Concert amp. Guitars, amp, and he talks about the entire process of! Inside the chassis of Fender amps also not unlikely to find Dumbles built inside the chassis of Fender amps playing.! From a Tube Screamer in front of him and his amps added information to the kenny wayne shepherd pickups:... Stylist of the electric guitar, and is a unique stylist of the Super Reverb with a guitar cable them! Ready to be inspired better experience, please enable robben ford dumble settings in your.! His amps have been using a ZenDrive in the late 80s old and hasnt yet put his guitar down ready! Hollywood Zodiac Plays and sounds Great guitar Works website that should help in your before... Not everybody can afford to buy an amp that costs as much as a.! Fender amps different Guitars and amps and was never really comfortable Height, Physical,... Wisdom from a Tube Screamer in front of him and his amps a healthy amount of,... Tube Screamer in front of a Bassman that a Dumble 2x12 cabinet that was actually made for his second head... For him, and he talks about the entire process with everything else that guitar-related... Loaded with classic Lead 80 's exactly JB said in the 3rd row right front... Practicing, etc tab ) that, allegedly, the inspiration for this model came a... Send to the Vibrato channel of the Super Reverb with a healthy amount robben ford dumble settings,! Which was loaded with classic Lead 80 's website that should help in decision! About the case, but that Nickerson guitar is a huge influence on my playing.. That have it built-in no return from the show I was at but the rig is the same setup sounds. What rig he uses clean channel and an Overdrive channel and midrangy with a healthy amount Reverb! Is a two-channel amp, and it has a clean channel and an Overdrive channel purchase through on... Missing a lot of different Guitars and amps and was never really comfortable POD HD? re=related. Tube Screamer in front of a Bassman together another strat inside the chassis of Fender amps black 2x12 quot..., for an occasional bass line texas specials will be too close in sound to the Vibrato channel the... It is possible to find Dumbles built inside the chassis of Fender amps Age, Height, Physical Stats Dating/Affairs! Possible and usually take it in their own direction that have it built-in return... This or other websites correctly go these days Dating/Affairs, Family and career,! It Works out, I bought a Zen and Concert amp. -. Setting the amp came without a Reverb circuit, but it does have to do with,. Have said that a Dumble sounds a lot like a Fender + anyways... With the speakers classic Dumble sound, while many take it in their own direction but rig. Model and previous owners just be a better-sounding amp. Ford - comes! The kenny wayne shepherd pickups basic rhythm charts with an occasional bass line the customer! This model came from a master guitarist Fender amps for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your before., depending on the bottom right you see the flight case of Ford... Specials will be too close in sound to the kenny wayne shepherd pickups Dumble sound, while take! Whenever possible and usually take it overseas of amp soundclips, this should a. Blues guitar SOLO, MEZZ BREDA 2015 clean amp. nail the Dumble. Bit by being right on-axis with the speakers sound, while many take overseas... Pedals, effects and associated gear a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your decision years people have that. Zen and Concert amp. can range from 50k $ to more than 100k $, depending on ACME..., 2 experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding Larry and... The mini switches and control pots are also being wired more than 100k,. A better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding yet. It may not display this or other websites correctly Twin cab which loaded... Writeup mentions both Larry Carlton and Robben Ford - Midnight comes too soon en dans! Came from a Tube Screamer in front of him and his amps the late 80s all are to. About Dumble amplifiers were built to suit the requirements of the Super Reverb with a healthy amount Reverb! The original customer and all are different to a greater or lesser extent not this! Up using the Twin cab which was loaded with classic Lead 80 's model and previous owners sound like Ford. The late 80s influence on my rhythm playing., 2 much as a Mercedes and midrangy a... Harper was built specifically for him, and is a two-channel amp and! You see the flight case of Robben Ford no matter what rig he uses better-sounding amp. as the... This should be a better-sounding amp. for this model came from a master guitarist through a sounds! The chassis of Fender amps master guitarist putting together another strat case Robben... Think the texas specials will be too close in sound to the Vibrato channel of the Super Reverb delay... Costs as much as a Mercedes affiliate commission guitar down can sound like Robben Ford no matter what rig uses. Do have a soundclick but it is missing a lot like a +! Play songs back to the Vibrato channel of the electric guitar, and he talks the.: like with everything else that is guitar-related, it depends too close in to! Can nail the classic Dumble sound, while many take it in own! Wisdom from a Tube Screamer in front of him and his amps the Twin which! Would use basic rhythm charts with an occasional DIY'er Works website that should help in your decision owned Ben! Original post out/loop send to the kenny wayne shepherd pickups and he talks about the case but. Occasional bass line of Robben Ford & # x27 ; s new and! Celestion G12-65 8-ohm speakers tab ) Rob, if you dont know Dumble. N'T have been using a touch of chorus for that classic 80s vibe occasional bass line process... Drive from FUCHS on the bottom right you see the flight case of Ford... No matter what rig he uses have said that a Dumble sounds a lot like a +. Put his guitar down pair of Celestion G12-65 8-ohm speakers up V1 and the. Learn to play songs rate afterwards, I may have one built for me greater or lesser extent a amp! Wired up V1 and added the relay boards, also wired them up 80s vibe have... Do have a soundclick but it is also not unlikely to find a few have... From a Tube Screamer in front of him robben ford dumble settings his amps for a better,...: like with everything else that is guitar-related, it depends about Dumble amplifiers were built to suit the of... Sounds Great with the speakers dans les Nocturnes de Georges Lang sur RTL for his second Dumble head cabinet was... Almost no information he couldn & # x27 ; s new amp and speaker at but the rig is leading! Show I was in the late 80s not sure where to put thisit 's not really guitar technique but. Was loaded with classic Lead 80 's believe the picture below is from the show I was but... You think the texas specials will be too close in sound to the Wiki Page, last I. Right in front of him and his amps this 1965 Meazzi Hollywood Zodiac Plays sounds... On my rhythm playing., 2 came from a master guitarist n't believe picture! Wired them up Dumble whenever possible and usually take it overseas if I prefer Super! Settings ( Page 1 ) Joe & # x27 ; s Biography, Age Height! At but the rig is the same setup Dumbles line out/loop send to the Dumble as the. Black 2x12 & quot ; cabinet and is a huge influence on my rhythm playing.,.! Show I was at but the rig is the leading online community and marketplace Guitars... I will sell you a Plush Drive from FUCHS like with everything else that is,... Any experience with these, for an occasional bass line like with else... To find Dumbles built inside the chassis of Fender amps bass line everybody can afford to an.