When I was watching HWAJUNG, I had to put it on the back burner a bit more than half-way through, and didn't get back to it for three weeks. Then the death of Officer Jang and the unnecessary pain the Queen had to go through while grieving for Hasun. The Crowned Clown Season 1 2019 16+ A low-class commoner clown, sits in the throne of the King who is in peril of losing his country. See you over at HAECHI, which I am enjoying so far. The reason why this never happened in Joseon is because of the way they keep tap on the king's every movement. Moo-young yanks the sword from his own belly and uses it to kill the last assassin, as Ha Sun sinks to the ground. js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; Another girl suggested The king loves. One day, Ha Suns ministers bring up the fact that hes led the country to a time of peace, but hes still produced no heirs. Why would I want to watch something when there are no stakes for a plot that should have all the stakes? I hope you get to see many many wonderful sageuks in the future!, Thank you very much, @peony!!! It was unconvincing. I'll have to go back and rewatch it. If MLDBC is consistent, I could try it. Predictable and flat waiting period for the queen. I personally like the movie better. Got bored reading the comments with such fervor to bring the drama down. I was surprise when Ha Sun decide to abdicated but again it just makes the ending more beautiful. An emotional farewell with Eunuch Jo (now Royal Secretary Jo) ensues and Ha Sun leaves the palace for good, following after So Woon who left the palace just before he did. You're most welcome, Chingu! She orders Ha Sun to confess to colluding with Aisin Gurun and disrespecting Ming, their ally. Moo-young declares that hes going with Ha Sun, and none too soon because only seconds later, he whips out his sword and goes after the assassins that have been following Ha Sun. In my view, the story went downhill after Yi Heons death because almost nothing that was set up before then had any serious consequences. And then they walk off into the sunset andwhat? Maybe some beanies can take a shot at that. There are of course all the issues with adultery and what shouldve been her reaction given the historical context and even arguments about who was the better husband for her, but none of that is really that important or relevant because on a basic writing level, her character, after trying to commit suicide promptly forgot, or acted like the King as a character never existed and was never important. It would have been fun to watch someone as stoic as him being all awkward around someone as bubbly and mischievous as she is. That scenario would have created a lot of edge, suspense and sadness without killing a character for clout. In fact it reached 2 digit ratings even afterwards. That too, out of desperation I would have taken as some sort of poetic justice, because Yi Heon died so Ha Seon could be king, and Ha Seon died because of Yi Heon's crimes against the Queen Dowager. Eventually she moves closer and takes his hand, and he tells her that this is the first time hes killed anyone, yet he has no regrets, and would do worse to protect the nation and its people. Because, honestly, he had so many enemies while he ruled. cookie : true, // enable cookies to allow the server to access He cries again as Ho-geol accompanies Minister Lees body out of the palace and past the rebel soldiers, then the gates are closed again. I was perfectly okay with the ending. Though the family seems fine, their pet dog, Sadie, refuses to enter the home and continues barking frantically. For a moment I thought the red clown was the king and would be the happy ending but was not , It was really good but it wouldve been better it had season it was so much left out . Not a big time period. But still if you look exactly like the king and sitting on the throne no one would dare to question you, unless you are bold like shin and he knew what he was talking about. Auwe! She walks out of the village and into a field to think, carrying one of her wishing hazelnuts with her. Or well he did but not the important ones. This is a Absurd. Prolly will make the beeeest drama with 0 plotholes and AMAZING storyline. Thanks for sticking through this for me! I felt so angry that the ending felt like some type of trap for me. Heh. We see a couple discussing what went wrong in . In the courtyard, she never loses her hostile pride as she drinks the poison and succumbs to its effects. I honestly also would prefer this ending, as this is more fitting of the whole narrative. Required fields are marked *. Fictional or not, no sageuk has ever dare to change the royal line of Joseon. That is what they wanted to tell. Im not usually a fan of vampire shows, but now I want that alternative ending/sequel. The Crowned Clown [1] ( Korean : ) is a 2019 South Korean television series starring Yeo Jin-goo, Kim Sang-kyung, and Lee Se-young. Because everything the Clown does under pretense as the King, will be seen by the other characters, as being done by the King. She follows him, but eventually realizes that hes a stranger. I can believe lots of things, like time travel, zombies or moving with one suitcase, but not having scouts when you know the other side is expecting reinforcements is so absurd it's offensive. Would have been nice if Officer Jang could have had a chance at a normal life. :-) 3.2/4 And it becomes very boring to watch. We learn that the soldiers who arrived just in time were General Kims, Lord Yoos old friend. But hes not finished surprising us yet, as he contemplates a decision that could change the future of the entire nation. Perhaps because of unavoidable comparison, CROWNED CLOWN has come up a bit short. And all conflict and tension that should exist because of a Clown being a fake King on a throne and surrounded by people that want to kill him, goes away. To me this drama was about Haksan and his quest to get the Dadong tax law passed. Inconsistencies are there but being able to create a good show that MOST people clearly enjoyed was thanks to the people behind it. But still could not convince other ministers because if they were proved wrong they will loose their necks. Here, I'm justwhat is even there to say? For So Woon, I could never handle her reaction to Ha Sun's disappearance, again. 3.1/4 In sageuks, the best character will always be the one with a twisted past, the one that isn't entirely black or white but has extremely strong values in something, and will do anything to protect those values (i.e. This is a critique of the show alone. For me the biggest issue wasnt necessarily killing the king off in and of itself (although I do agree that things could have been so much more interesting with more interaction between him and Ha Seon). And I almost didnt even watch the reunion scene at the end because I knew exactly how it would play out. ;-). He promises that hell never become an animal who uses his power for personal gain, and that hell do whats right even when hes scared. She enters the palace at the pre-arranged time and finds Ha Sun alone in the throne room. I am mad, salty, disappointed, call it what you will, at the mistreatment of the King as a written and constructed character. I wanted to try a sageuk, and picked TCC to discuss about it here on DB. But in this episode, she was complaining about how late he was, and I felt like she shouldn't blame Ha Sun for disappearing like that, and it felt weirdly worded and not as executed well as I thought. Honestly, its not even the underlying moral issues that are never addressed by this show, although sure they annoy me on a personal level, and I have argued about them till Kingdom come; its that a core ingredient for plot and character was just IGNORED in order for them to try and push the story they wanted to tell. And nobody found out the Clown wasnt the King because the King is dead. Prince Jin-pyung is in bad shape from his gut wound, but he tries to act like its nothing when the queen dowager visits him. Think about this, initially only Haksan, Jo, and the Monk knew the Clown was pretending to be the King. He looked excellent. A. The Crowned Clown (2019) - Recommendations - MyDramaList The Crowned Clown (2019) Details Episode Guide Cast & Crew Reviews Recommendations Photos Edit this Page Make a Recommendation 8.8 The Red Sleeve (2021) Lee Se Young is the main Female Lead in both dramas Somewhat similar vibes but are pretty different plot-wise. The soundtrack and instrumental music was lovely, and enhanced the action. I said this in episode 8, and I will say it again. But he tells her that hes been following the kings orders, and for his loyalty, Ha Sun forgives his crimes. I was caught up in some work! But this show decided to ignore one crucial part of this premise. :) I was still bitter with how they made the Kisaeng wait for Haksan for 20 years then bam Haksan's dead just when she thought she had a happy ending now this :/. For sure an emotional roller coaster ride. I liked the acting, the cinematography, the music themes, the multilayered characters. They suggest he bring in a new concubine to give him a son, and even So-woon thinks he should do it. It makes me soooo maaadddd!!! Ohh man. If you want to tell a story about a Clown being King, do NOT make that ENTIRE premise hinge on a single character and then treat him as a plot device! A few final thoughts: I had to chuckle over his interpretation of Ha Sun's name ("summer fairy"). fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); I read the first two parts and loved it and wrote my comment even before I read the recap, because I've been dying to since I skipped my way through the finale (what does it even say about a show finale that I skipped everything but the last bit and still got it right), and then I came back just now and read the other two parts and also loved those. }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk')); In a desperate attempt to protect their young king from assassination, a decoy is put on the throne. ). My second bean for 2019 . I am now pushing on with JEONG DO JEON (35 of 50 episodes completed.) So what happens, when you kill him, and, moral implications aside, there are no consequences to this, is that your plot doesnt frakking make sense. }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk')); Please enter your username or email address. I give it a 10+++. I'm gonna stick to my version, the ending of this series was right after he installed the Tax Law. Dunno but I enjoyed it veeery much. Thats is why the drama is "Crowned clown" or "the man who became king" . It was not possible for me to juggle three sageuks. One that is like a wolf trying to be a sheep and telling everyone that it is a sheep, when its actually still a wolf. (Cant remember if I read all of your wall before you broke DB, but still *nods*. The drama took some risks like killing off the king halfway, according to the actor who played haksan it was something they had in mind since the beginning. The Perron family is greeted by evil just as they arrive at the farmhouse. He reminds us that to be a man is to make mistakes, to laugh and fool around. After the Secretary stabbed Prince Jin, the Queen thanks Jin for his work thus far and instead vows to put another puppet in her stead on the throne to control. I also accepted, that the king had to be eliminated for the greater good. But because he did such a good job, I almost wished he would stay (however in the movie I wanted him to stay more than anything). But the Clown woke him up and he realized he could do good for korean people. As is so aptly stated in NIRVANA IN FIRE, Time flows like water, and what has gone cannot come again. Give it a rest, Pakalana. I dropped this drama once Yi Heon died, but have been keeping up with recaps only to be disappointed with what the writers have been doing every episode. On the other hand, last week I finished reading the existing 106 chapters of the translation of NIRVANA IN FIRE, and am looking forward to commencing that watch when I'm current with HAECHI. ;-). It was mentioned by Ae-young to the queen that she heard that king's poop smells different and we all know why because he was not Yi Heon lol. She cracks it and makes a wish, but when she opens her eyes, shes still alone. He basically committed suicide by cop, which makes no sense. Then, someone walks past an open gate alone Ha Sun. Im kind of glad I wasnt in the mood for this one, even for Jin-goo. Like everyone else I feel the end was rushed and not thought out. Just when I thought this drama couldnt get any worse they introduced the seperation trope! Then what was the point ofanything that ever happened in this show? She is depressed and gets yet another false hope that Hasun could be alive. js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js"; I sure hope Lord Giseong was also PRINCE Giseong, because there would have been quite a commotion if Ha Sun had passed the crown outside the royal family. I enjoyed this more than most of the sageuks I've seen. This shows single and greatest flaw, therefore, is ignoring the consequences of the King as a pre-existing character as determined by the premise of the show itself. One of these days I intend to watch SHIN DON, which may overlap with JEONG DO JEON. But i don't think thats what happened. Hes trapped, and he turns to see Ha Sun facing him, the two of them alone. A concern for royal doctors. I don't know whether it was the difference in tone between it and CROWNED CLOWN, too many details, or what. I'm totally mystified over how Ha Sun survived two arrows in the back (let alone managed to extract them by himself). Tags: Lee Se-young, The Crowned Clown, Yeo Jin-gu, Your email address will not be published. She gives Dal-lae her two jade rings as a donation, but Dal-lae says theyre too precious. cookie : true, // enable cookies to allow the server to access Its not even just that, its poorly constructed as a concept, let alone a written piece. Loved loved loved this drama till the ending Anyway since i have heard of this king and his door keeper story since childhood the concept wasn't that new to me. She showed no remorse for him being gone after that point. The Clown manages to fluke his way out of the accusations (without anyone on his side dying), and then the Villains lead a rebellion that is entirely unsuccessful and was executed without intelligence so that the Good Guys (lol) can win very easily and eliminate all threats, in the space of about 20 minutes, as if the last fifteen episodes of well, drama, mean absolutely nothing. 9 is following him into the sageuk? I really loved this show, but they botched it in the end. It was one of my most fun and blissful experiences here at DB. His fears. Gotta watch the final episode again.??? It might have all been clear to Koreans or anyone else who knows the province names, but it seems to me like they were jerking us around by having the general from near the northern border turn around and then having another general turn up like magic. KINGDOM, alas, also got short shrift from me because it was too much to juggle with CROWNED CLOWN. We the fans who stuck with MLSHR to the end instead of MLDBC, did it simply because of the lost potential that shone through the mess time to time, not because it was a better drama than MLDBC. The problem is, is that the show did not actually want to tell the story of the King AND the Clown. The Crown is unlikely to continue past a sixth season, the Netflix show's executive producer has confirmed. Thats not all though as we soon find out. My sister's 1st one was MLSHR, and now she thinks it's the BEST ever Sageuk in the whole world and uses it as a scale to measure other Sageuks. I could only assume that Moo-young's sparring sessions with His Majesty paid off as the latter skewered Lord Shin. And its not because I didnt get the ending that I wanted that makes me sad. D Gray Man The 14th and Crown Clown Explained [CONFUSION CLEARED] 40,791 views Oct 18, 2019 1.1K Dislike Share Save Rash Plays 24.8K subscribers D Gray Man is amazing and I can't stress that. Not really. That's a leap as big as Everest, but okay, fine. You're making good progress with JEONG DO JEON. episodes (13-16) I think it has found its groove (for me at least.) So-woon says that now he understands the weight of the crown and can move forward, but that he can come to her when he needs a break, and shell always be there for him. Also, MLSHR had one of the BEST instrumental collections of Sageuk-land. At times he made me forget that it was fiction. ;-). The king's every move and poop was recorded so it would be very difficult to make a switch but Ha Sun was only subbing for the king for 15 days. He was always so twitchily suspicious that I can't believe he just stood there as Haksan grabbed a guard's sword and charged at him. I expected a pair of little ones running in the yard! And I'm very happy for YJG that he finally got a drama worthy of his talents. Its a matter of preference. I expected that Haksan would perish, and am not surprised he took Prince Jin-pyung with him. He was responsible for the Queen Dowagers, Shin Chi Soo and the Princes deaths, plus the real King was a complete madman who was responsible for the Queen Dowagers fathers death and his half brothers death and many other atrocious things. So-woon insists, saying that shes enjoyed hearing about someone she admires. What type of clown is Pennywise? He deserves it . The two could have wandered the country checking that new reforms were taking place. He was the best!! Why stop there? I suspect that having to contend with another court full of braying ministers was a bit too daunting. I can't handle 2 or more at a time and it makes me sad when they compete for the ratings.