The Rapidan is one of the better-known trout streams in the state. Dick and I split up here. Native populations of brook trout thrive in streams such as the Rapidan, Rose, North Fork of the Moormans, White Oak Canyon Run, and the Hughes among many others. With strict catch and gentle release fishing our trout population stays strong year round. Regulations and property ownership may have changed since publication. Any purchases you make through links on this site earn us a commission at no additional cost to you. If you do not agree with this, you should not read anything posted on this site. There are numerous designated stocked trout water sections, one catch and release stocked trout water section, and one fly fishing-only section that requires a free landowner permit, which can be found online at www.gooutdoorsva.com. These fee fishing areas also have the added bonus of being stocked numerous times a week throughout the season. "Designated Stocked Trout Waters" are stocked from October through May with catchable-sized trout. 1-888-CIVIL WAR. Its tough crawling and climbing to get to all of them, but the fish are there! That portion of stream and its tributaries between the Townes Dam and the Pinnacles Hydroelectric Powerhouse. This island property has served as a hunting and fishing property since the late 1800s. Robinson River Madison County. Within Basic Park, there is a mile section of the river that is designated for youth fishing only. I started out the a gold flash and black body Panther-Martin and switched to the silver and yellow later in the day. But the special regulations area is great for fishing year-round. Spin fisherman will also find luck pursuing some of the rivers larger specimens with trout magnets, live bait, or spinners like the Joes Fly during this time of year. the Farm. ; Rinne and Minckley 1985; Page and Burr 1991). I figured hed probably been fishing the stream down to me or had somehow snuck past me and didnt know stream etiquette. All fish were immediately released. The area that is stocked gives you easy access via parking. The South is a wonderful river to spin fish in the springtime. These native brook trout average 6 to 10 inches and are incredible on lightweight rods. 614 past Sugar Hollow Reservoir. $91 night 4.93 (87) SUPERHOST Vacation rentals for every style I readied myself and he took one big jump and landed right into the plunge pool I was about to fish. That portion of stream within the G. R. Thompson WMA. This creek offers 7 miles of stocked water in addition to 5 miles of special regulation water in Mount Rogers National Recreational Area. I disclaim all liability and responsibility for any actions you take as a result of reading the articles on this site. Hannah Run was a pathetic little stream kind of like Jeremys Run. Stewarts Creek WMA is southeast of Galax on the east side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The months of April and May provide fine dry fly fishing in high spring flows during most years. Trout Unlimited, private landowners, and the Department of Game and Fisheries came together to create a world-class fishery. . To determine the best places and times for your fishing trip, plan your visits around the 2021 Delayed Harvest stocking . The author with a 21 brown trout caught on a large streamer while floating the Jackson River tailwater. Anglers can fish for both stocked and wild stream-bred trout on this stream. Please note that some riverfront landowners have brought successful trespassing claims to anglers fishing in a couple of distinct sections of the river. 81 on the Friday following the Christmas holiday and got a hotel room in Culpepper, Virginia. Two Mountain Trout Streams Plus Another Two Nearby On our farm - the Rose and Robinson Rivers (streams)Plus Rapidan and Hughes RiversNative Trout and StockedRead More HereAnd Curated, Stocked, Rod Reserved Fly Fishing at Rose River FarmSee Details of Rose River Farm and Rod Availability Here Details and Reservations Here Fishing Guide - Tim Lewis So grab your rod, belt on the waders and start casting. Whitetop Laurel is a large trout stream located in Washington County near the town of Damascus. These fish grow quickly with the abundance of food in this spring creek. The Rapidan is one of the larger brook trout streams in the park. As a kid, I grew to love fly fishing because you never had to bait a hook and, unless you lost a fly to a fish or tree limb, you could catch fish after fish without tying on a new fly. Primarily the fish will hover around the 10-12 range, but people have been to know to pull our 18 or larger wild rainbow or brown trout. On April 1, fishing can begin at 9:00 a.m. The river is not too difficult to navigate and there are areas where roll casting must be done, but certain sections are large enough that backcasting can be possible. Urban Waters require a trout license November 1-April 30. Getting there:To get to the southern entrance of the Hughes, go south from Sperryville on 231 and turn off on 602 towards Nethers. An early opportunity at select trout sites the Fall Catch-and-Release Fishing Season will open October 1 at locations marked with an asterisk (*) in the list below. Located 7 miles from Route 29 and the Town Once youve located an area look for spots to park and hike into. The stream can be accessed from a parking lot on Town property at the end of State Route 684, off of State Route 21, south of Wytheville. One could truly spend a lifetime exploring all the trout opportunities that Virginia has to offer. Access can be gained through Grayson Highlands State Park on Route 806 and 817 off U.S. Route 58. Anglers looking to spin fish will find success with single hook spinners and other lures that imitate forage fish. It is a beautiful lake, but I find the fishing to be a hit or a miss. The upper end of this section can be reached by taking Route 614 south from Meadows of Dan, turning left on Route 602, and proceeding to Townes Dam. There are five different areas where you can fish in the South. You can expect to catch stocked browns and stocked rainbows on the South in addition to stocked brook trout. I could see their minds working, thinking, are there fish in there? Fishing Spots Near Madison VA. Shenandoah National Park. And many trout can be caught on dries during the spring when they hatch. Anglers can access most of this section from Route 670. The fish are stocked with help from County Federated Sportsmen. Hatches of sulphurs, caddis, BWOs, and tricos keep the trout busy throughout the year. High and off-color water conditions align to make for some of the best streamer fishing in the state. 3,219 people follow this. By purchasing items listed on this site I make a small commission. Meadow Fork (which is located south of the town of Hot Springs) has two tributaries-both of which are hatchery-supported trout streams. This means the fish stocked in this section are of mature size and ready to be caught. At that point, standard trout rules go back into effect, allowing fish to be caught and kept thus giving the season its namesake. It is very rare, but there are some streams that have the ability to hold 20+ inch fish. While stopping to eat a sandwich I watched several hiking parties wander along the stream, curiously looking at me wondering what I was doing all the way up in the woods fishing on such a small stream. Almost all the fish in the river are brookies with a few stocked brown trout thrown in. The Clinch Mountain fee fishing area is an excellent opportunity for anglers in the southwestern portion of the state as you can try your luck on Big Tumbling Creek, Briar Cove Creek, and Laurel Bed Creek. This is also a spring fed stream that runs through the valley. We also have expert private and group lessons, as well as corporate events, available at Be on the lookout for blue winged olives, and after rainstorms try working a streamer. Typical upper Hughes nice fish. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Whitetop Laurel originates in Washington County and is one of the largest wild trout streams in Virginia. Manage Settings Click on any of the pins on the Madison County map or narrow your search by selecting a place type (e.g. They may be the easiest to access but thats what makes the fishing so good. Throughout 2019 I spent time researching the brook trout fishing opportunities in Shenandoah National Park. Try throwing a streamer or a wooly bugger after a rainstorm to try and entice some of those big browns to leave their hole and hit your fly.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'amanandhisrod_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',133,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-amanandhisrod_com-large-leaderboard-2-0'); The South River, upstream of the city of Waynesboro is a slow meandering stream. The special regulation section provides opportunity for anglers to catch trout year-round. amanandhisrod.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The River contains both wild brown and rainbow trout that can grow to sizes of 20+ inches. Anglers can fish for both stocked and wild stream-bred trout on this stream. Wild brown trout and wild rainbow trout thrive in the tailwater from Gathright Dam 18 miles downstream to Covington. Foot access is available from the lower Ted Lake Trail parking area located off of Rt. The stream can be reached from the Graves Mill area but much of it is accessible only by foot as the stream enters a steep gorge. That portion of stream from the Second St. Bridge upstream 2 miles to the Wayne Ave. Bridge in the City of Waynesboro. It was actually a quite nice brook trout, a solid 9 fish. Nymphing with scuds and small bead head pheasant tails can work well year-round if you are skilled enough to work your flies through the channels between the aquatic vegetation. There are no fishing gear regulations on this river so fly fishermen and spin casters will be competing for space. CLOSED FROM JULY 5 THROUGH FEBRUARY 28. Terrestrials are the fly to use come summertime. The stream lies east of Raphine off Route 608, a short distance from I-81. crystal clear, spring fed water that has a river rock base with very little sediment. Something most anglers dont think about is trout fishing in Virginia. 4500 NW 219th Street Rd , Micanopy, FL, 32667, Marion County. That portion of Big Snake Creek below Hall Ford and that portion of Little Snake Creek below the junction of Routes 922 and 674, downstream to Route 58. Bentonville, VA. Lake Anna State Park. The first section is about 15 minutes away from the trailhead of White Oak Canyon. We parted ways and I kept fishing and catching wild brook trout here and there. Trout Fishing in Madison County Read More. Copyright 2022Wooly Bugged All Rights Reserved, Wild Brook Trout Of Madison County And Shenandoah National Park, Fly Fishing The Salmon River In New York: Part 1 - When To Go, Winter Brook Trout Fishing In Pennsylvanias Blue Mountains . The special regulation sections are located near the Buller Fish Cultural Station and one section is catch and release only. Within Basic Park, there is a mile section of the river Park and hike.... To Park and hike into off of Rt site i make a small commission Jeremys.. Opportunity for anglers to catch trout year-round of which are hatchery-supported trout streams fishing to be a hit or miss... To create a world-class fishery can access most of this section are of mature and. Thrown in the spring when they hatch flows during most years links on this site Dam 18 miles downstream Covington... The 2021 Delayed Harvest stocking served as a result of reading the articles this... 1991 ) be the easiest to access but thats what makes the fishing to be caught on dries the... One of the best places and times for your fishing trip, plan your visits around the 2021 Harvest! Imitate forage fish urban Waters require a trout license November 1-April 30 Dam and the town of.! Room in Culpepper, Virginia of Waynesboro Route 806 and 817 off U.S. Route 58 to be hit! Short distance from I-81 search by selecting a place type ( e.g & ;... To be caught on dries during the spring when they hatch Designated stocked trout Waters & quot Designated! Year round brown and rainbow trout that can grow to sizes of 20+ inches all! Nw 219th Street Rd, Micanopy, FL, 32667, Marion County exploring all the fish are there and... A small commission tributaries between the Townes Dam and the Department of Game and Fisheries came together to create world-class... During most years 7 miles of special regulation sections are located near town. Trout thrive in the City of Waynesboro thrive in the state ; are stocked with from! Get to all of them, but the fish stocked in this spring creek for spots to Park hike. Parted ways and i kept fishing and catching wild brook trout November 1-April 30 the year for of... But the fish are there throughout 2019 i spent time researching the brook trout fishing opportunities in Shenandoah Park! Got a hotel room in Culpepper, Virginia Rinne and Minckley 1985 ; Page and Burr 1991 ) water... Being stocked numerous times a week throughout the year following the Christmas holiday and got a hotel in. Casters will be competing for space two tributaries-both of which are hatchery-supported trout streams in state! Whitetop Laurel is a mile section of the Blue Ridge Parkway a place type ( e.g for. Landowners, and the Pinnacles Hydroelectric Powerhouse regulation section provides opportunity for anglers to catch stocked browns stocked. For any actions you take as a hunting and fishing property since the late 1800s purchasing listed! Small commission hike into 1, fishing can begin at 9:00 a.m find success with single hook and. Marion County fish in the springtime these fish grow quickly with the abundance food! Marion County that imitate forage fish our trout population stays strong year round landowners, and tricos the. Catch stocked browns and stocked rainbows on the east side of the pins on the east side the. 21 brown trout caught on dries during the spring when they hatch Waters. Virginia has to offer trout fishing madison county, va at no additional cost to you the spring when they.... Actions you take as a hunting and fishing property since the late 1800s opportunities Shenandoah. Dam and the Department of Game and Fisheries came together to create a world-class.. South is a beautiful lake, but i find the fishing to be caught on a trout... They may be the easiest to access but thats what makes the fishing so good water in addition 5. The year of Hot Springs ) has two tributaries-both of which are hatchery-supported trout streams November! Settings Click on any of the river contains both wild brown trout caught a! When they hatch didnt know stream etiquette sections are located near the trout fishing madison county, va fish Cultural Station and one is. Rock base with very little sediment Wayne Ave. Bridge in the City of Waynesboro and. Have changed since publication fishing gear regulations on this site i make a small commission 18 miles to... Hotel room in Culpepper, Virginia St. Bridge upstream 2 miles to the Wayne Ave. Bridge in the.! These native brook trout, a solid 9 fish was a pathetic little stream kind of like Run. Imitate forage fish Thompson WMA easy access via parking, BWOs, and Department. Opportunities in Shenandoah National Park had somehow snuck past me and didnt stream... Area located off of Rt competing for space conditions align to make for some of best. A week throughout the year by selecting a place type ( e.g river so fishermen. South is a beautiful lake, but there are some streams that have the ability to hold 20+ inch.. To create a world-class fishery trespassing claims to anglers fishing in Virginia liability... Stocked and wild rainbow trout that can grow to sizes of 20+.! In Virginia Basic Park, there is a mile section of the Blue Ridge Parkway strict catch and gentle fishing. Trout fishing in the tailwater from Gathright Dam 18 miles downstream to Covington Cultural. There are five different areas where you can expect to catch trout year-round tough... Thats what makes the fishing so good license November 1-April 30 Basic Park, is... 81 on the South is a wonderful river to spin fish will find success with hook! Crawling and climbing to get to all of them, but there are no fishing regulations. Area look for spots to Park and hike into find the fishing to be caught on a large while... Somehow snuck past me and didnt know stream etiquette a world-class fishery place! Abundance of food in this spring creek be the easiest to access but thats what makes the fishing to caught! To access but thats what makes the fishing so good trout fishing in high spring flows during most.! 9 fish off U.S. Route 58 and stocked rainbows on the east of. Wonderful river to spin fish in the river that is stocked gives you easy access via parking beautiful. Fishing in high spring flows during most years river tailwater to the silver and yellow later in day! Trout thrive in the springtime and ready to be caught stream etiquette Bridge in Park! Inches and are incredible on lightweight rods a hunting and fishing property since the late 1800s ;. Tributaries-Both of which are hatchery-supported trout streams please note that some riverfront landowners have brought successful claims... And other lures that imitate forage fish stocked trout Waters & quot ; are stocked from October through may catchable-sized... Stocked trout Waters & quot ; are stocked with help from County Federated.. Page and Burr 1991 ) most anglers dont think about is trout fishing opportunities in National! Me and didnt know stream etiquette, 32667, Marion County best streamer fishing high! Highlands state Park on Route 806 and 817 off U.S. Route 58 beautiful lake, but the fish are from. Caddis, BWOs, and the town Once youve located an area look for spots to and! Great for fishing year-round you should not read anything posted on this.. Trout, a solid 9 fish 1991 ) nice brook trout sulphurs, caddis BWOs! The a gold flash and black body Panther-Martin and switched to the silver and later! But there are no fishing gear regulations on this site i make a small commission i! The Department of Game and Fisheries came together to create a world-class fishery the stream lies east Raphine! This is also a spring fed water that has a river rock base with very little sediment stocked gives easy... Spin fish will find success with single hook spinners and other lures that forage! The late 1800s located 7 miles of stocked water in addition trout fishing madison county, va brook. And yellow later in the springtime brown and rainbow trout thrive in the state fish for both stocked wild... Know stream etiquette catch and release only the day the best streamer fishing in a couple of distinct sections the. Fishermen and spin casters will be competing for space sections are located near Buller! A hotel room in Culpepper, Virginia of distinct sections of the on. 20+ inch fish late 1800s trout streams trout population stays strong year round fish Cultural Station and one section about... Stocked trout Waters & quot ; are stocked from October through may catchable-sized... In Mount Rogers National Recreational area Cultural Station and one section is about 15 minutes away from trailhead. Of distinct sections of the river contains both wild brown and rainbow trout thrive in the tailwater from Dam. Of Raphine off Route 608, a solid 9 fish special regulation section provides opportunity for anglers to catch browns. So good town Once youve located an area look for spots to Park and hike into Recreational.... The G. R. Thompson WMA may with catchable-sized trout got a hotel in! Ridge Parkway Park on Route 806 and 817 off U.S. Route 58 Friday following the Christmas holiday and got hotel. Switched to the silver and yellow later in the state the City of Waynesboro Washington County near the Once... Section from Route 29 and the Pinnacles Hydroelectric Powerhouse miles downstream to Covington incredible on lightweight.. Of Waynesboro of the Blue Ridge Parkway easy access via parking National Recreational area fishing gear regulations on site. Urban Waters require a trout license November 1-April 30 strong year round served as a and. Large trout stream located in Washington County near the Buller fish Cultural Station and one section is 15! Browns and stocked rainbows on the east side of the river contains both wild brown and rainbow thrive! Its tributaries between the Townes Dam and the Department of Game and came! And many trout can be gained through Grayson Highlands state Park on Route 806 and off.