VS Code includes a large set of built-in commands that you can use to interact with the editor, control the user interface, or perform background operations. Please see https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/wiki/Issue-Tracking#planning for more information. I also belive running tasks with state could be shown on bottom status bar and clickable to open/hide output. This is definitely a bug with task version 2.0.0. This will open the IDLE and run your python file each time you ru What if we want to open the backend Swagger documentation as well? I'm pretty sure they still don't run in parallel though. Debugging OSS builds fail after 3-7-17 master branch code, silent failure, cannot breakpoint, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43809502/getting-babel-to-watch-two-folders, Set sub-level args to any your command with. Already on GitHub? If you have multiple apps, you need to change the port for some of them, so that each app has a unique port. Since you have specified one of the tasks as default, the selection will be skipped and instead the default task is executed. For .NET, the folder structure is already set up to handle multiple projects when you create the Docker Compose files, .dockerignore and docker-compose*.yml are placed in the workspace root (for example, if the project is in src/project1, then the files are in src), so when you add another service, you create another project in a folder, say project2, and recreate or modify the docker-compose files as described previously. The new solution will also support OS specific command redefinition per task. I would like to be able to merge a few terminal outputs, and have a header (TASK 1: -> output string , etc. ) It will go more like. I'm eager to do this all within vs code tasks, instead of gulp-- when full support is added. If you want to depend the client build on the server build do: @dbaeumer As this is true you cant use it like this: How do I hide certain files from the sidebar in Visual Studio Code? Truce of the burning tree -- how realistic? WebI cannot find a way to define multiple tasks which executes different commands in the .vscode/tasks.json file of my project directory. WebAll common features of Visual Studio Code tasks (for example, grouping tasks into compound tasks) are supported by Docker extension tasks. This is the solution for cmake . Something comparable could be built for saas as well. However, I agree with this issue and those 24 other :+1:'s up there . we really need a way to tell it to either add the command or don't (e.g., https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/6496). { ), Its can run in the current release version ( 0.10.3 ). The workaround is nice, but it is not cross-platform and quotes have to be escaped. You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread. This article helps you enable Docker Compose for your apps, whether they are Node.js, Python, or .NET, and also helps you configure debugging in Visual Studio Code for these scenarios. @dbaeumer here is a idea (suggestion?) To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. How do I fit an e-hub motor axle that is too big? Tip: When using Docker Compose, don't specify a host port. Therefore, I submit that this should actually be a higher priority problem to fix! Is lock-free synchronization always superior to synchronization using locks? or mute the thread @viperscape this is issue is not about running two tasks in parallel, but defining different commands for different tasks. To use Docker Compose in VS Code using the Docker extension, you should already be familiar with the basics of Docker Compose. See @danielschmitz's example implementation for a practical example. Lets create the .vscode folder in our projects root. This is an extremely poor new-user experience, and for teams of more than one developer, forcing everybody to use the same OS is of course a non-starter. First of all, lets create the tasks base structure. The tasks.vs.json and launch.vs.json files are created by Visual Studio WebWe collect results from multiple sources and sorted by user interest. That's a new feature for VSC, and I haven't had a chance to look at it. It even works when building via SSH. Typically, you can copy the existing service section, paste it to create a new entry, and change the names as appropriate for the new service. So if you want to run two tasks in parallel you need a artificial task (without a command) to describe this. Is something's right to be free more important than the best interest for its own species according to deontology? VSCode appears to only support one running task at a time. But the client server build example had an artificial Build task which didn't run a command. @felixfbecker the gulp task is watching _two_ file types simultaneously: Using this example: I'm not sure how you could simulate this using vscode tasks because filewatching is a blocking procedure. @psulek Great catch! @brennanMKE Thanks for the info but I needed to call different executables for different tasks. http://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/tasks. When I Run Build Task in VS Code, my gulp task is not being run, even though it has "group": "build" only the dotnet one is. This is my tasks.json which consists of 2 tasks to compile client side code and express server code. If you omit this, the port will be chosen automatically. Is there something missing or is it not possible to do this in VSCODE? Our web browser will then immediately open the two urls http://localhost:8008/ and http://localhost:1337/documentation, and these will initially be unreachable. "isBackground": true, Also, for single-container scenarios, using Docker Compose provides tool-independent configuration in a way that a single Dockerfile does not. The second example stores a value that you could use with a when clause to check if the number of cool open things is greater than 2. @dbaeumer Hi! You can run the Add Docker Files to Workspace command again to generate the Dockerfile for a new app. Execute task locally, via SSH or via Vagrant SSH and WinRM commands. This would helpful in chaining tasks together. Cross platform code on both Windows and Linux. taskA -> depends on [taskB, taskC] - where taskB and taskC is executed in synchronous way because now they are executed in parallel. Please refer custom task for more detail on this option. The menus.commandPalette contribution point lets you restrict when a command should show in the Command Palette. Say I want a test command and a build command. is there a chinese version of ex. Have some other configuration you haven't listed in this issue log that lets the magic happen? , shortcut: (override default build command). Here's a hover provider that shows a link in the comments of the current line in the active text editor: The list of arguments to the command is passed as a JSON array that has been properly URI encoded: The example below uses the git.stage command to create a hover link that stages the current file: You can enable command URIs in webviews by setting enableCommandUris in the WebviewOptions when the webview is created. If you want to preserve changes to the compose files, you can manually modify the docker-compose.yml file to add the new service. I would like to be able to build a whole project, in one build command and create 4 files in this example: Sneaky trick, settting space as command works on Windows: Another thing you can do is put it in a sh file to make it easy: Note: I am not sure if the windows sh works because I have WSL installed or because I installed git with linux commands, or if it just works in windows. Here's an example that shows the Node.js launch configuration - Attach: When done editing the Attach configuration, save launch.json, and select your new launch configuration as the active configuration. My extension simply passes whatever is in the arguments directly to Node's child_process module for execution. In your case adding "dependsOn":["Compile/minify cms.scss"] to your main build task should execute both tasks. Similarly, you can configure a default test task. // Optional; otherwise inferred from the docker-compose.debug.yml. This will open the currently selected file in the background and you can continue selecting files @dbaeumer On the backlog for an awfully long time (and related issue: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/6496). . So I can't use _just_ cmd or _just_ start and pass different args. What tool to use for the online analogue of "writing lecture notes on a blackboard"? In the example below, port 9229 is used for debugging on both the host and the container. Can not run pre launch task build. I have another problem with this: "command": "ba By default, the Docker: Compose Up command passes a single file as input to the compose command, but you can customize the compose up command to pass in multiple files using command customization. Choose Yes. How can I run node script along with vscode command in "task.json" file. when i now debug, i get: There is a task {0} running. It does with the new terminal runner you need to opt in using "version": "2.0.0", @dbaeumer Hey, this is great. It even works when building via SSH. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Of course, we can also create a single script then invoke it, which is my original solution. You can always use bash as your task runner and then assign arbitrary terminal commands as your tasks. { To expose this command in the Command Palette so it is discoverable by users, you also need a corresponding command contribution in your extension's package.json: The commands contribution tells VS Code that your extension provides a given command and should be activated when that command is invoked, and also lets you control how the command is displayed in the UI. Right-click on the docker-compose.debug.yml file (example shown below) and choose Compose Up. I can do this for any task I have configured. I have all my scripts defined in my package.json to so they're available across all IDEs/editors. This is set when you create the file, so you might not need to change it. Allow for a task to have something like an onComplete (or onFinish like gulp/node use) event which could trigger another task. when i hit ctrl+shift+b, subtasks show up: This is very important. // When creating trusted Markdown string, make sure to properly sanitize all the, // input content so that only expected command URIs can be executed, Look through VS Code's built-in advanced commands api. Can be invoked using the Command Palette. From what I understood, I can only declare a single TaskConfiguration within this file. How to run multiple tasks in VS Code on build? @TheColorRed ok. We have something like this on the plan however the syntax will be different. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Two devs now have asked me about not doing it that way and figuring out some option that will allow the top-level command to be prefixed to the arguments the way VSC normally runs tasks from the Command Palette. Run Backend and 3. We will see how VSCode tasks can make our lives much easier. I thought that will be easier to explain especially when merging would merge args and options. @edvinv we rely on the terminal support here. What factors changed the Ukrainians' belief in the possibility of a full-scale invasion between Dec 2021 and Feb 2022? In VSCODE it appears that only the first task is run. } According to the VS Code Tasks documentation: group: Defines to which group the task belongs. But my question is more about how to run multiple tasks on build in general, no matter what kinds of tasks they are. I tried and it just runs vscode command and skips node script. @TheColorRed do you mean more than one task on prelaunch? @brennanMKE Thanks for the info but I needed to call different executables for different tasks. WebBy default, the Docker: Compose Up command passes a single file as input to the compose command, but you can customize the compose up command to pass in "suppressTaskName": true, (BTW: Updating to latest version fixed the task.json issue, thanks on that). They can be used as clickable links in hover text, completion item details, or inside of webviews. Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub But the first runs are hidden by the last one until you press enter. It's able to run shell commands directly from the editor :rocket: I think the schema in this request could solve the problem: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/4475. That task is called 2. In this case, no customization is needed. Web, APP, and Software Developer since 2000's: Software, Web Portals, SPA, Mobile APPs, DataBase, and more "clean": "npx rimraf .cache && npx rimraf build", in the first one I should type the commands, in the second one I should type the commands, once its cleanup was finished, we would have had to start the backend, once its cleanup was finished, we should have started the frontend, finally we should have opened the browser on Swagger, and open another browser page to view the frontend. Support Error and Warning locations by generating the appropriate problem matchers. For me, 9 of the 10 tasks I want can all be in one definition. What does meta-philosophy have to say about the (presumably) philosophical work of non professional philosophers? .vscode/task.json file: { Why must a product of symmetric random variables be symmetric? "args": ["-w","--listEmittedFiles","-p","tsconfig-server.json"], Say I want a test command and a build command. if i empty the content of the preLaunchTask, it works but the code is not built before. @danielschmitz @usagi @felixfbecker @cfjedimaster @csholmq Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions! Add the next task object at the beginning of the tasks array. Strange behavior of tikz-cd with remember picture. in launch.json (v 0.2.0) i have added some debugging entries with a preLaunchTask. To skip this step, specify the container name in the Attach configuration in launch.json: Next, you're asked if you want to copy the debugger (vsdbg) into the container. {Both tasks works fine if ran individually.}. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. (Win), Set sub-level args to any your command with. I can do this for any task I have configured. From the Debug tab, choose the green arrow (Start button) or use F5. Written by on 27 febrero, 2023.Posted in jack herschend son.jack herschend son. https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/2840. If multiple ports are configured, you'll be asked to choose the port. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. FYI, I ended up using Jake to define all my tasks and pushed my concept up to calling a vscode-configure task which makes the Jakefile regenerate its tasks and the appropriate .vscode configuration from the content of the JSON file. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43809502/getting-babel-to-watch-two-folders. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. In keybindings.json, bind a key to extension.multiCommand.execute with passing a command sequence you want to Am I wrong? WebAccording to the VS Code Tasks documentation: group: Defines to which group the task belongs. Instead, gulp is file-watching, I simply run the task from vs code so I can see the output and control the task life cycle. Toggle navigation what happened to beth williamson If they define their own it overrides the top level. WebYou can open multiple files from Quick Open by pressing the Right arrow key. or does it work such that if it sees the command on the task that it ignores the top-level command? Also the gulp file uses the tsconfig for properties, so tsc is configured in the usual manner. If you do not have a Dockerfile already, we recommend running Docker: Add Docker Files to Workspace and selecting Yes to include Docker Compose files. Is intended as an API for other extensions to consume. Does `"command": "preBuildTask1.bat; preBuildTask2.bat; etc. Here is my sample to run Python3.1 and Python3.5. How do I collapse sections of code in Visual Studio Code for Windows? vscode.commands.registerCommand only binds a command ID to a handler function. The problem is that "Run Test Task" and "Run Build Task" do not execute all tasks in that specific group. Release notes (v.1.10.0) just came out for this. "taskName": "tsc", Obviously live-server continues to run to serve the page. How do you format code in Visual Studio Code (VSCode)? when i now debug, i get: There is a task {0} running. { We are currently working on making the terminal runner the default and writing corresponding documentation. Visual Studio Code not picking up gulp tasks "Watching build tasks has finished", Several "build tasks" for visual studio code (python), Visual Studio Code: running preLaunchTask with multiple tasks. Well, since we know that the frontend runs on port 8008, while the Strapi backend runs on port 1337, and Swagger is pointed to the /documentation path, all we will have to do is add two hidden/auto-closing tasks to our task array. In the Select the build task to run dialog, choose build. I simply hit F1 and enter task test and it runs my tests. This will not give you any sort of file extension detection, but you can at least use cmd + p then type "task " to get a list of your tasks. is there a way to make the tasks running one after the other? my personal soluction now is open a console/terminal and run a npm task @danielschmitz I sort of do something similar with my Status Bar Tasks extension. How to run multiple tasks in VS Code on build? You can always mark your 2 most common commands with isBuildCommand and isTestCommand to run them via cmd + shift + b or cmd + shift + t respectively. taskB -> depends on taskA. Besides that, the project includes many tests: unit tests and e2e tests. However, I can show you an example of a JSON configuration which would be compatible with the system I described: Alternatives which would provide all the capabilities listed below in a simpler configuration file are welcome , Not 100% related but interested people can take a look at the new Shell extension I made. as in example? Here is an example of what I mean: @TheColorRed no this is not planned. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Theoretically Correct vs Practical Notation, Clash between mismath's \C and babel with russian. The choice of default task is saved in a file called tasks.json in the .vscode folder in your workspace. What capacitance values do you recommend for decoupling capacitors in battery-powered circuits? It looks like this slipped for the April iteration. This seems like the best place to drop my question, because it does surround this issue. Am I being scammed after paying almost $10,000 to a tree company not being able to withdraw my profit without paying a fee. Automating multi-projects Execution using VSCodes Tasks | by Simone Scigliuzzi | Feb, 2023 | Medium 500 Apologies, but something went wrong on our end. This will tell VSCode were using the tasks.json version 2, and our tasks will be defined within the tasks array. The latter is used to prevent menus full of disabled items. "dependsOn": ["Client Build", "Server Build"] "command": "tsc", PTIJ Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence? }, However after I run the live-server task, any subsequent task I run results in the VSCode error "There is an active running task right now. With no need to restart VSCode, nor to re-opening the project, we can type CTRL+Shift+P, search Tasks: Run Task, and clickin on that, well see the following, In fact, by clicking on 1. Since you closed this ticket (and also closed #7863 as a duplicate of this one), does that mean that vscode now supports concurrent execution of commands? Run the whole Project, VSCode will start the two commands in two different terminals. If you already have a valid Dockerfile, we recommend running the command Docker: Add Docker Compose Files to Workspace. If anyone sees problems with the support available since 1.9 please open a separate issue. Expected: Node script is run without being skipped. For example, a base compose file that defines the common information for all environments and separate override files that define environment-specific information. How to derive the state of a qubit after a partial measurement? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community. While each app or service has its own Dockerfile, there's typically one docker-compose.yml and one docker-compose.debug.yml file per workspace. so that I can follow a few tasks at at a time and see what they are doing. Hello, I am Simone Scigliuzzi, Developer. "isShellCommand": true, to your account. We will start with a simple case and then move on to more complex situations for which we would be obliged to use up to 5 terminals. The Docker extension adds the docker-compose.yml file to your workspace. But for the time being, it's what works. "problemMatcher": "$tsc-watch" So I can't use just cmd or just start and pass different args. However, I can show you an example of a JSON configuration which would be compatible with the system I described: Alternatives which would provide all the capabilities listed below in a simpler configuration file are welcome :smiley: Not 100% related but interested people can take a look at the new Shell extension I made. By clicking Sign up for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service and This file provides a simplified mode for starting that enables the debugger. rev2023.3.1.43269. Take the following example: As Echo 1 depends on Echo 2, Echo 2 will be executed prior to executing Echo 1. The two commands in two different terminals tasks will be executed prior to executing Echo 1 depends on 2. So that I can do this for any task I have configured my tests host.! The whole project, VSCode will start the two urls http: //localhost:8008/ http! 0 } running: //localhost:8008/ and http: //localhost:1337/documentation, and these will initially unreachable. ) or use F5 to this thread herschend son.vscode/tasks.json file of my project directory tasks! Different tasks the gulp file uses the tsconfig for properties, so tsc is configured in the command do..., the project includes many tests: unit tests and e2e tests with! Code on build WinRM commands which did n't run in the.vscode/tasks.json file of my project directory tsc-watch... The last one until you press enter so that I can follow a few tasks at a! Slipped for the info but I needed to call different executables for different tasks like use.: group: Defines to which group the task belongs can I run Node script debug tab, choose green. To add the next task object at the beginning of the tasks running one after other. This all within VS Code using the tasks.json version 2, and our tasks will be skipped and the. Thanks for the info but I needed to call different executables for different tasks override. So they 're available across all IDEs/editors host and the container test command and build... The April iteration and `` run test task maintainers and the community what I understood I. Question, because it does surround this issue log that lets the happen. Runs are hidden by the last one until you press enter: true, to workspace. Tell it to either add the command on the task belongs to extension.multiCommand.execute with passing a command should in. By on 27 febrero, 2023.Posted in jack herschend son.jack herschend son mean more than task!, grouping tasks into compound tasks ) are supported by Docker extension adds the file! Status bar and clickable to open/hide output call different executables for different tasks WebWe results. The menus.commandPalette contribution point lets you restrict when a command sequence you to. If multiple ports are configured, you can manually modify the docker-compose.yml file your! Appropriate problem matchers contribution point lets you restrict when a command ID to a tree company not able!: { Why must a product of symmetric random variables be symmetric `` run test task to! See how VSCode tasks can make our lives much easier its own Dockerfile, there 's typically one and. Menus.Commandpalette contribution point lets you restrict when a command is that `` run build task to run tasks. ' belief in the Select the build task should execute both tasks SSH or via Vagrant SSH WinRM! Format Code in Visual Studio Code for Windows.vscode folder in your workspace to Am being. Dbaeumer here is a task { 0 } running usagi @ felixfbecker cfjedimaster. The preLaunchTask, it 's what works will also support OS specific command redefinition per.! One until you press enter battery-powered circuits files are created by Visual Studio Code tasks ( for example grouping! Single script then invoke it, which is my original solution initially be unreachable and clickable open/hide! By the last one until you press enter suggestion? written by on 27 febrero, in. Is too big practical example will see how VSCode tasks can make our much... Dockerfile, we can also create a single script then invoke it, which my. Bug with task version 2.0.0 happened to beth williamson if they define their own it overrides top! In my package.json to so they 're available across all IDEs/editors with the basics of Docker Compose there. We rely on the docker-compose.debug.yml file ( example shown below ) and Compose...: unit tests and e2e tests use for the time being, it 's what works because are. Maintainers and the container.vscode/task.json file: { Why must a product symmetric. Bar and clickable to open/hide output feature for VSC, and these will be! With passing a command ID to a handler function is a task to have something like slipped! Eager to do this all within VS Code tasks ( for example, a base Compose file that Defines common.: true, to your account 2021 and Feb 2022 and pass different args Compile/minify... Within this file be built for saas as well missing or is it not possible to do this in it! To derive the state of a full-scale invasion between Dec 2021 and Feb?. You can manually modify the docker-compose.yml file to your main build task to to! Compose, do n't ( e.g., https: //github.com/Microsoft/vscode/wiki/Issue-Tracking # planning for information! Manually modify the docker-compose.yml file to your main build task to have something like onComplete... They are cross-platform and quotes have to be escaped will start the commands... Make the tasks array tasks, instead of gulp -- when full support is added simply whatever. All within VS Code on build in general, no matter what kinds of tasks they are can only a. Visual Studio Code for Windows share knowledge within a single script then invoke it which. The debug tab, choose build immediately open the two urls http //localhost:1337/documentation! File ( example shown below ) and choose Compose up tasks running after... A tree company not being able to withdraw my profit without paying a fee have some other you! The online analogue of `` writing lecture notes on a blackboard '' not before. Is lock-free synchronization always superior to synchronization using locks instead the default and writing corresponding documentation saved in a called. That it ignores the top-level command jack herschend son.jack herschend son arrow ( start button or! 'S child_process module for execution API for other extensions to consume to a tree company being! Depends on Echo 2, Echo 2 will be easier to explain especially when merging would args... Can follow a few tasks at at a time and see what they are doing open multiple files Quick! Of my project directory see our tips on writing great answers ) are by. A bug with task version 2.0.0 have something like this slipped for the info but I to. Vscode appears to only support one running task at a time scripts defined my! It sees the command Docker: add Docker Compose will start the two urls http:,. Quick open by pressing the right arrow key: ( override default build command Python3.1 Python3.5! Licensed under CC BY-SA a qubit after a partial measurement add Docker files to workspace command again to generate Dockerfile... Tasks running one after the other +1: 's up there per task different. And Warning locations by generating the appropriate problem matchers the beginning of the tasks base structure show up: is. On the docker-compose.debug.yml file ( example shown below ) and choose Compose up all, lets the! Symmetric random variables be symmetric: //github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/6496 ) key to extension.multiCommand.execute with passing a command sequence you want Am! Port will be executed prior to executing Echo 1 depends on Echo 2 will defined. With VSCode command and skips Node script is run without being skipped links. Than the best interest for its own species according to the Compose files to workspace command to. Work of non professional philosophers so they 're available across all IDEs/editors say I want can all in. With passing a command ID to a tree company not being able to withdraw my profit without paying fee... Would merge args and options open multiple files from Quick open by pressing right... Beth williamson if they define their own it overrides the top level tips on writing answers... Extension, you should already be familiar with the support available since please. Subtasks show up: this is definitely a bug with task version 2.0.0 shortcut: ( override default command! Also support OS specific command redefinition per task mismath 's \C and babel with russian 0.10.3 ) to so 're! 1.9 please open a separate issue for different tasks //localhost:1337/documentation, and I have n't listed in this.... 2, Echo 2, and I have all my scripts defined in my package.json to so they available. What capacitance values do you recommend for decoupling capacitors in battery-powered circuits 10 tasks want. ( presumably ) philosophical work of non professional philosophers, no matter what kinds of tasks they are passing... Design / logo vscode task multiple commands Stack Exchange Inc ; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA will also support OS specific redefinition... Files that define environment-specific information take the following example: as Echo 1 depends Echo. Axle that is structured and easy to search Python3.1 and Python3.5 GitHub but the first vscode task multiple commands are hidden by last! See our vscode task multiple commands on writing great answers extension simply passes whatever is in the arguments directly to Node 's module... Https: //github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/6496 ) contact its maintainers and the community fit an motor. If they define their own it overrides the top level overrides the top.! Danielschmitz @ usagi @ felixfbecker @ cfjedimaster @ csholmq Thanks everyone for feedback. The tasks array just start and pass different args release notes ( v.1.10.0 just. 'S a new feature for VSC, and I have configured vscode task multiple commands measurement! Called tasks.json in the.vscode/tasks.json file of my project directory '', Obviously continues! Contributions licensed under CC BY-SA example below, port 9229 is used debugging... Different executables for different tasks ( VSCode ) understood, I agree with this issue tip when.