Now I know that the application is due in November but if I take classes in the fallI would imagine once I get the final grades in December I would just forward them over to admissions? By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies. Im trying to figure out if I should take an anatomy courseprior to applying? A course completed in a quarter system is transferred as 66% of one semester credit hour. Are my chances okay? Now, I am assuming this is the new and updated application packet because on the website it says that the preq's are a bachelors degree from an accredited college, a minimum of a C or better in statistics and While we encourage our GEPN applicants to take a course in anatomy and physiology it is not required. A substantial amount of the curriculum is clinical practicum in community and hospital/health care settings where students are actively engaged in nursing care under the supervision of faculty. allnurses is a Nursing Career & Support site for Nurses and Students. Pre-reqs aren't a requirement and neither is this. Yale is a member of the Common Application, an application platform offered by more than 600 diverse colleges and universities around the world. program is offered on a part-time basis. Develops insight through reflective practice, self-analysis, and self-care. So since its changed and statistics is not required and A&P is encouraged, but not required the only prereq that applicants need now is only a bachelors degree in any field.This all leads me to believe that Yale is trying to seek as many diverse applicants as they can by taking away certain stipulations of getting in to the program. Cumulative undergraduate GPA 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Courses may be taken either in-person or online. By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies. Hi! To verify course equivalencies from institutions outside of the UH system, please visit UHMs Admissions and RecordsTransfer Credit Searchwebsite. Hello;I just received the application and information packet in the mail today and as I am looking through the packet I come to the section of FAQ's and one of the questions asked were What are the prerequisites for the GEPN program? I am so grateful to UH for offering this program! Karen Rowan, MS, RN, GEPN Cohort 10, DNP-FNP, Class of 2021, The GEPN program comprehensively and fully prepared me to take the NCLEX-RN exam. I beleive what will make students competitive or give them an edge is some form of experience working in the hospital or health care.I would love to hear any and everyone's feed back on the changes of the prereq's. I dont think you should wait, I say apply now what do you have to lose is 65 dollar app fee. So they are looking at the overall application submitted, but it seems to me that the letters of recommendation and the personal statements are just as strongly looked at as the GPA in undergrad and GRE. Communicates and uses technology effectively. I took Chemistry I, Algebra, Statistics in my first Bachelors program which was between 2007-2011. However, by not having a minimum requirment of courses in the sciences could only mean that the school is really trying to open and diversify their students. Through coursework, simulations, and clinical experiences I was exposed to a variety of scenarios that challenged me to think critically and develop my nursing skill set. I'm currently in an accelerated BSN program and the requirements were A&P, Micro, statistics, and maybe a nutrition class. Or should I wait a year or two until I've racked up some experience and taken Anatomy and Physiology, at least? I will talk about them again when I get an interview:wink2: Almost 10% of the class of 2007 dropped out for one reason or another at Yale during the last 2 years - don't know how many the first year or between years 1 and 2 of the GEPN. I just finished doing a pre-med postbac but I'm leaning towards midwifery so I'm considering an MEPN but I am tired of doing pre-reqs. Hi!! Prerequisite courses do not substitute for any of the coursework required in the GEPN program. Please contact us if you would like to include your company in the Bio M company database. Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing Oh good! If you haven't taken it, or did not earn a B in all portions of it, you must take the course. Please be respectful and kind and remember that this is a long, exhausting, expensive, stressful journey for lots of people. of students because of academic failure. Good luck with trying to find the best school for YOU! Copies or versions in other languages are available at theAACN Essentials website. I believe the CNM/WHNP crew is about 20, with a handful of those seats WHNP-only or possibly CNM-only. Any other thoughts? I even taught myself how to use tik tok. allnurses is a Nursing Career & Support site for Nurses and Students. I can reassure you, GPA is probably one of the most overrated (by applicants) parts of the application. Top schools mean it when they say they consider applicants holistically. I'm hoping they're going to schedule information sessions soon, so that would be a good place to ask if they haven't responded to your email before then. Register to Comment . Transfer from one specialty area to another is not permitted. The title of the course usually includes the words Research Methods. Introduction to Statistics or Epidemiology does not fulfill this requirement. I truly feel like the GEPN program allowed me to enter the nursing profession with a strong foundation to build on as I further my studies. Michelle Quensell, MPH, BA, RN, GEPN Cohort 10, DNP-FNP, Class of 2021, The GEPN program was the perfect opportunity for me to move back to Hawaii and pursue a nursing degree. What are the average GPA and test scores for Yale SOM students? I know Yale doesn't technically require pre-reqs. Feel free to introduce yourself, ask questionsand offer guidance and support to other candidates. So I dont have to stress about that. These courses must be completed before June 1 st prior to matriculation into the school. University of Hawaii at Manoa Calculate these numbers, and you get an admissions rate of 60-75% depending on how cruelly or benevolently my approximations shift in the real. Has 2 years experience. Most people are applying to other schools as well and so will have the pre-reqs completed. Applicants can apply only once per annual admission cycle, and must meet the requirements of both the UH Manoa Graduate Division and the DON for admission to the program. Im fairly confident in my LORs. After all I saw that my students went through (I taught in rural WV) and reading The Deepest Well, I decided again to pursue the medical field but did not feel like medical school would fully prepare me to provideholisticcare. Our class just lost someone at the end due to academics, so I think that's 1 for us, unfortunately. Let's do our best to uplift and help each other. $105 application fee or fee waiver. Yale Changed Their Admissions requirement for GEPN program. Emphasis is placed on health promotion and disease prevention as well as the care of the acutely ill person. Overall, I love what I've seen and heard about Yale's PNP specialty with its training in adolescent care and SBHCs. Submit completed online application and pay a non-refundable application fee of $100. Yeah, and if youre doing well, I would send some sort of progress report along with your application inNovember. (It looks like this comment was left on my profile and on this thread, and I don't know if my reply will somehow make it's way over. I also have over 2000 hours of patient care experience working as a PCA and plenty of leadership through various clubs. Required Fees. 42 Posts, I went through the application process several years ago andI do admissions mentoring now. Honolulu, Hawaii 96822. allnurses, LLC, 175 Pearl St Ste 355, Brooklyn NY 11201 Otherwise, I agree with everything else folks are sayingit can be extremely hard for some folks who haven't taken those science courses to catch up. Phone: 808-956-0445 I do meet the minimum requirements, and I'm thinking of applying just for the hell of it, but with no volunteer/work experience and very little science background, will my good grades, reqs., test scores, and a passionate personal statement be enough to merit consideration? I was able to take advantage of the opportunities the school provided to network with local healthcare organizations. What is the application fee? allnurses, LLC, 175 Pearl St Ste 355, Brooklyn NY 11201 Has 9 years experience. Admission Requirements: International applicants are required to submit their . Prerequisites | Yale School of Nursing Home > Admissions & Aid > Admissions > Graduate Entry Prespecialty in Nursing (GEPN) > Prerequisites Prerequisites What courses am I required to take as prerequisites to apply to the GEPN program? The program also fostered a sense of community among my cohort and encouraged genuine connections with my peers and colleagues. This thread is for folks applying to Yale's GEPN program for the fall 2023 start. News: YSN in National Top 20 Graduate Programs. Just another question, its been about 10 years since Ive been in school, for recommendations are they looking for them frompast professors? And do you know if you want to specialize in anything in particular? Please be respectful and kind and remember that this is a long, exhausting, expensive, stressful journey for lots of people. Ask yourself what your past experiences have in common and tie it to your goals and try not to waste space explaining things that don't matter. I had a friend who had to petition to have her vertebrate anatomy and vertebrate physiology courses count towards the A&P requirement at her school because it wasn't specifically human A&P, which I thought was kinda silly (though her school did eventually approve it after she provided a letter from her old professor stating that the course included everything that a human A&P class would have included). Next year, I will be completing it at a FQHC and SBHC. I have a client who got accepted to a top 10 school and is waitlisted at another with a 2.7 GPA. God has my footsteps ordered. So Im so excited they are and youve made my day!! ), General Chemistry with lab (4 credits) * note: a 3-credit Intro to Chemistry course does not qualify. Best of luck! Information Sessions Costs and Financial Aid But if you have the mental space for it right now, it could really help. I think FNP is similar in size, and I'm pretty sure the . My cGPA is a 3.5 and my major GPA is a 3.3. Actually, they teach it, just like any other course nursing schools teach. This website uses scripting to enhance your browsing experience. (These prerequisite courses are in semester credit hours.) All rights reserved. Specializes in L&D. The student transitions immediately into their graduate nursing specialty degree track and begins courses for their advanced degree. Name. And in your stats class. Her GPA was low but we worked to make sure she told "her story" beautifully. On 6/30/2022 at 8:14 AM, Bernadette Valenzano said: Specializes in Med nurse in med-surg., float, HH, and PDN. The Yale Bulldogs refers to the sports arm of the institution that competes squarely in the Ivy League games. How long is my GMAT/GRE score valid? The Post-Master's Certificate (PMC) is offered on a part-time basis. In the past three or four months, however, I've done a lot of research and decided that I'd like to pursue an MSN, either to become a Women's Health NP or a CNM. Hope this helps! That's so awesome! I am I do not have a high undergrad GPA, but Im still applying because of the program and all the good thing that I fee; I would benefit from it as well as all the good things I heard about the program. Specializes in Med nurse in med-surg., float, HH, and PDN. All Yale interviews, both those with alumni and those with current Yale seniors, are evaluative. I think you've already done one of the key things, which is a self-evaluation of what the admissions committee will think of your application. Office: (808) 956-3883 Looking for feedback on my stats. I think the science classes can be fun and easy to learn, it just all depends on the instructorAnd thats just in my opinion. Happy this board was created. allnurses, LLC, 175 Pearl St Ste 355, Brooklyn NY 11201 Are you taking any Portage courses now?