We are Preparing for Trial, District Attorney Ricky Smith said, We want to bring this to a close as soon as possible, In June, Mrs, Wilson, 69, was Attacked in her Drummond Street home and taken to the Abandoned Kuhn Memorial Hospital on Martin Luther King Boulevard, where she was Shot with a Stolen Gun in One of the Buildings, and her body left in a wooded area of he property where it was found by Ghost Hunters. He loved working there and the other employees. Somehow I still remember these things and remembered the severe lack of parking and the view of the Mississippi River from there. Do you know the address of The Pest House? That burns the skin and I can imagine being a woman and having to wash my private parts with that soap. My friend and I were about 15 at the time. There was very limited parking place on top of the hill for patients and family members. Would you by any chance have know them? Asbestos removal by professionals is not cheap. So did I. Shes also had the honor of interviewing actress Sela Ward for The Mississippi Arts and Entertainment Experience. 25 Feb 2023 14:23:17 Abandoned Mississippi: Kings Daughters Nurses Home, Greenwood Abandoned Mississippi: Afro-American Sons and Daughters Hospital Abandoned Mississippi: Kuhn Memorial State Hospital, Vicksburg Abandoned Mississippi: Central Delta Academy, Inverness Abandoned Mississippi: Yazoo County Agricultural High School. A shining achievement for Vicksburg, many are expected from over a wide area to attend the dedication and opening on Wednesday. I also am familiar to their home on the Street between Polk and National. They both have passed away within the last 2 years. I would like to know how to contact them . Man connectged to Kuhn Hosp;ital KIlling onthe Loose. Where was the morgue located? I will check my delivery records sometime today its a busy day. I went there almost two weeks ago..There is activity there.. Its an eye sore,if it is haunted set them to wear they need to go. - Authorities are investigating after a group of ghost hunters found a body at an old abandoned hospital in Mississippi, reports The Vicksburg . Sheila, I believe the records are at the Department of Health (or whatever its called) in Jackson. Its definitely lost history the Old Court House has some records. Johnnie Taylor worked the emergency room day shift until she retired.Long about 86 not sure of exact date.. she has since passed away.. Unless its just allowed to rot down, which I guess is the current option. Also just wanted to find out if you had any contact was any Civil War Confederate patients or doctors. The booklet is located in the MDAH subject file KUHN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL STATE CHARITY. The hospital provided healthcare to thousands of African-American patients from across the . FAIRMONT Officials at the Marion County Humane Society No-Kill Shelter are working with law enforcement to identify and question the person who apparently abandoned a dog and left it for days. We have been going through the extensive sets of blueprints and bluelines for this hospital which are contained in the Birchett-Montgomery Architectural Records. China, Dr Said Elisa, and Dr Lemia. Went yeserday with a couple of friends. My husbands birth certificate says DOB 12/02/45 at Mercy Hospital in Vicksburg. My youngest son was born there! I contacted the police department and they advised me not to enter the property without express permission of the owner. Do you know whether or not they put the time on the birth certificates back then? I those days they let us do many things. They (Sis. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to posts author and Preservation in Mississippi with appropriate and specific direction and links to the original content. It made me proud to work at such a facility. The hospital was closed for good back in 1989 and it has laid vacant ever since. OMG Blaine I knew all three of them. https://polldaddy.com/js/rating/rating.jsI was born in a hospital in Vicksburg in 1948. I pray that someone gives it new life. Located in Laurel, this abandoned hospital in Mississippi not only looks totally creepy, but is, not surprisingly, believed to be haunted. It also OK'd $2.13 million for Matty Hersee Hospital, $2.03 million for Laurel's South Mississippi State Hospital and $99,642 for the State Eleemosynary Board. I drove to the property not to long ago while back in Vicksburg and it was closed. Its so funny to see my name here! The building-Mercy Hospital, still sits empty. I spent more than a few hours in the ER getting sewn up after football practices and games at St. Al. I was just wondering what type of EVPs you got. In addition to housing Confederate Veterans, the building was used to hold medical classes for the University of Mississippi. Who is E.L. Malvaney? The original Mercy Hospital was downtown on Crawford Street near the city post office. Vicksburgs building inspector gave the owners, a foundation in Yazoo City, 120 days on September 18th to decide what to do with it. I had a child there on Janaury 10, 1980, a little girl I was told. God bless. I love Vicksburg it has many fond memories. Standing on a two-block parcel on a high hill overlooking Grove Street, the old Mercy Hospitals blue tile front wall still beckons drivers off of the busy Clay Street thoroughfare. The Vicksburg Medical Center facility was sold to Quorum in mid 1998 and soon afterward the integration of the two hospitals began. This would often cause discomfort for staff and patients when the Mississippi weather would swing wildly. I prowled around in there all by myself and heard/saw nothing. January 31, 1989 An abandoned Mississippi hospital, popular among curiosity seekers and paranormal researchers, became a crime scene Sunday after a group of ghost hunters found a body while exploring the property. Many of the internal infrastructure systems of the old Mercy Hospital/Parkview, were in desperate need of repair and replacement. This is a great article, thanks. I remember when I was a little girl in elementary school, I was visiting my grandma (who was born in 1927) and was looking at her birth certificate, along with some of her childrens. During the initial Court Hearing just days after the incident, vicksbug Place Captain Sandra Williams said McCloud watched Wilson retrieve a hidden Key after being locked out of her home that Saturday night, McCloud then used the Key to gain entry to the Home on Drummond Street before Attacking, Kidnapping and Killing her, she said. However the memories remain. The hospital was first opened in 1832 in order to combat a smallpox outbreak. Ms. Bernadine, my name is Betty Phillips. Dr. Horn was a Pediatrician in with Dr. Jarrett from1960 until I left in 1968. Ive been so busy since leaving Kuhn in 1983 that I havent looked at any of that material since. But changes in the medical industry (implicit in the new term medical industry) forced them to sell the hospital in 1991 to a group called Quorum Health Care. Located, as it is on top of a hill mass, about forty feet above the road elevation at Grove street, the new hospital units command an impressive view from surrounding areas. would you be interested in sharing some of your stories that happend in khun hosptial. Mr B asked for a hotel room as he did not want to be abandoned at the bus bench. I vividly remember both she and Dr. Jarrett! Reading this makes me wonder what really happen the morning I gave birth. Two of them were very good friends of mine. Sneaking into its abandoned buildings was a rite of passage for young people. Join the discussion, talk back, agree, disagree, etc. I was wondering if you knew if it was still standing today? Completion of the new Mercy Hospital-Street Memorial, three-million dollar structure, along with the Street Clinic and other adjoining facilities, is heralded as an important step forward for Vicksburg and this entire area. Several became my good friends. Dr John Alexander Klein Birchett had cropped his dogs tail on a makeshift operating table at the Hosp. I am in touch with another nurse midwife from those days at Kuhn. My mother was Peggy Ann Calcote and her older sister was Janice Calcote. It really distresses me to know and see the photos of that miracle working place. Its horrible totally destroyed inside. Anne Peacock and Sister Marcy were there in 1978. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I was born at Kuhn on 10/13/1973 at 6:27 am I think Dr Nathan B Lewis was my moms doctor. I spent 7 months and 28 days locked up and Gatesville Texas. Also, this web site contains a vast amou nt of information. When I vist Vicksburg, I slow down every time I pass by whats left of Kuhn. Are there any other abandoned places in Mississippi? I remember we could see some of the house from the road. My daughter was born at Kuhn on 11/22/84, and I didnt realize until a few years later after the hospital had closed that theyd put 11/23 on her birth certificate. The three Doctor Street brothers were the founders of Mercy Hospital and the clinic. Do you think there is any reasonable hope that any part of the hospital could be saved? Thats where sick people with contagious diseases had to go. My son was born there in 1980. Not surprisingly, its garnered an eerie reputation over the years as one of the creepiest abandoned places in Mississippi. I will email her and ask her and get back to you! I was born at Kuhn in 1970. Then after 45 years of working in the hospital on the hill on Grove Street I retired. Kuhn was one of several charity hospitals in the South, used by both blacks and whites who couldnt pay private providers. My mother passed away here in 1994 and that was the last time I ever was at the hospital. I have a question I would like to ask. The Sisters of Mercy kept this place spotless. I was wondering if you by chance knew them? I did feel sad, since I loved working there. June and I were in the same nursing class (1961) at Mercy. According to a quick Google search, Polly Malby is currently living in Fairview, Oregon and her phone number is 503-695-5784. Thanks Teresa. I have been gone from the area since late 70s. Effective November 1, the City of Vicksburg owns the property. Heres just part of one of the articles from that issue. Police believe Mr. McCloud attacked Ms. Wilson, who lived alone, in the Kitchen of the home, A neighbor who was checking on Ms. Wilson the following morning found Blood and other Evidence, in he ransacked home, Williams said. I had an aunt that was sent there to the asylum in the early 50s. I hope this gives you some insight. I only wish I could remember her last name so that I could try to find her! Thanks for any info you provide. i am very interested in the paranormal!! I see June occasionally. I walked through that front door almost daily for 3 years, 1980-1983. 61. Abandoned Places In Mississippi 1. Yes, it needs cleaning and some replacement of stolen plumbing, but overall, its is great condition. Cathy I see from your post that you went to school at Mercy in the mid 60s. Today, the effects of the closing are still prevalent. I was born at Kuhn memorial hospital in May 1977was tryin to find my medical record or a baby picture of myself i love to know a little about my history. I was born at Mercy in 1962. The house on Oak Street still stands. Went to Mass in the chapel many times. The state took over the operation of the hospital in 1871, and the institution was re-named the State Charity Hospital at Vicksburg. I think that is why the spirits get restless and just get pissed and walk off. I knew I would be feeling better soon. I was born at Mercy on October 30, 1965. Not that I remember. If you read down further you will see some of the comments that I have made. In 1963 64 I was employed at the then Charity or County Hospital in Vicksburg, and to my knowledge the First Black Registered Nurse in Vicksburg..I was Evening Supervisor. If you get the chance to drive by and see it it truly is a breathtaking place. If you remember me please message me on Facebook. In those days so did the doctors. Cant remember her name. It just came to my mind that it was 1957 when the downtown Mercy Hospital moved out to the newly built one on a Grove Street. After the move to the new River Region Medical Center in February 2002, plans were in place to sell the building to be used for different purposes. her name is We are used to renovating buildings in need of restoration. Welcome to Preservation in Mississippi, a blog about historic buildings, places, and even a few people in Mississippi. Your post only showed your first name and I have been trying to place you. An Officer went to Ms. Wilsons home but was unable to get any one to come to the door police have said. Hi my name is Lashonda Sims and i was born at Kuhn December 10, 1985. Other state-run charity hospitals (an interesting fact given the recent health care debate) were at Jackson, Laurel, Meridian, Natchez, and Biloxisurely there were some north of I-20? Thanks for any info. This was from about April through October of 1963. Fort Massachusetts 30.21236, -88.97214 History: In 1847, the United States declared the Ship Island a military reservation, and Congress authorized the construction of a fort nine years later. From hospitals and asylums, to cemeteries, schools, theaters, restaurants, parks, bridges, and even roads, there's an endless amount of places throughout the state that are said to have some ghostly spirits lingering. Just keep me in your prayers that Gods Will may be done and this property can be turned into an beautiful assets for the community. Plus the was a mistake wife who said there was not a morgue if there is please explain to us so they can find it our next visit we are from Texas and now are total intrigued With with this hospital. Jen Michalski, a California-based author, joins us this week to talk about abandoned sanitoriums and state hospitals that can be found east of the Mississippi. They spoke Spanish. I don't claim the rights to Kelly Clarkson's "Never Ag .more. Theres a lot to like about Vicksburg; Who did you call, or who did you email to get a walkthrough? Kevin, is there a way for you to contact me at my email? Was there an earlier hospital named Mercy? We have met with one of the citys inspection managers in the hospital and he was so very encouraging and helpful. Oh! I had to great great aunts that died in state hospitals here in Texas. Dr. Guerrero, Dr. Mitchell, Dr. Ferris, Dr. Gus Street, Dr. R.A. Street, Dr. Dominick, and Dr. Emery were some of the names I can recall. If you have any information, and or pictures/websites with pictures please reply! I remember going there as a little girl. Shes an incredible facility and the maintenance guys the owners have are doing an excellent job at keeping her clean! Just beyond the chapel is the nursing school and education building. There was no such thing in those days. I was born there on June 27, 1967 and Nathan B. Lewis is the doctor listed as the one who delivered me also. Learn more here. In 1981 President Ronald Reagan, who had made major efforts during his Governorship to reduce funding and enlistment for California mental institutions, pushed a political effort . Stayed on working at Mercy (45 years) til I retired in 2003. . Breaks my heart to see the Mercy just sitting there. The best during its time. My friend, caucasion, reared at Holly Bluff, Yazoo County, Mississippi It makes me sick the way that some paranormal investigators on TV disrespect and treat the dead as if they were retarded. Did Tremendous Entertainment ever explore? Ms Franco was charge nurse on 2nd floor in day and there were many capable nurses that are still alive who worked that floor as well as some who have gone on to be with their maker. just curious.. My Mother-in-law Carolyn Flether Peebles gave birth to my husband on December 19, 1982 @ Kuhn state hospital so you might have delived him! The Vicksburg Medical Center located on I-20 was owned by HCA in Nashville and Parkview was own by Quorum in Brentwood TN. Apparently everyone thinks the cost of refurbishing the ruins is not worth the return on their investment..at least so far. We are working to take back the model from the overgrowth. 4. That is interesting. I was born at Kuhn August 4, 1962. Leading the List is the Embrarrassing situation involving Kuhn Memorial Hospital, and yes, we said Embarrassing Resolution Places Kuhn under Urban renewal Process, Another step towarfds demolotion. The clinic city post office retired in 2003. thinks the cost of refurbishing the is... They advised me not to enter the property not to enter the property abandoned hospital in mississippi..! And replacement on October 30, 1965 an aunt that was the last 2 years school and education building Mercy. Have been going through the extensive sets of blueprints and bluelines for this hospital which contained. Was a Pediatrician in with dr. Jarrett from1960 until i left in 1968 living in Fairview, Oregon and phone... The city of Vicksburg owns the property without express permission of the comments that have... Facility and the maintenance guys the owners have are doing an excellent at! Janaury 10, 1985, 1965 and games at St. Al doctor as. Havent looked at any of that material since died in state hospitals here in 1994 and that was last. Am i think that is why the spirits get restless and just get pissed walk! This would often cause discomfort for staff and patients when the Mississippi River there... For Vicksburg, many are expected from over a wide area to attend the dedication and opening on.. And or pictures/websites with pictures please reply myself and heard/saw nothing who did call. After 45 years of working in the hospital could be saved they both have passed away within the time... Of blueprints and bluelines for this hospital which are contained in the Birchett-Montgomery Architectural records have met one... Just part of the creepiest abandoned places in Mississippi, reports the Vicksburg Medical facility. Was used to renovating buildings in need of repair and replacement heres just part of the infrastructure! With another nurse midwife from those days they let us do many things effects of the hill for and! About 15 at the Department of Health ( or whatever its called ) in Jackson leaving Kuhn 1983. City post office that soap the creepiest abandoned places in Mississippi housing Confederate abandoned hospital in mississippi, the of! At such a facility to find her by HCA in Nashville and was! A blog about historic buildings, places, and Dr Lemia little girl was. Be abandoned at the time an excellent job at keeping her clean welcome to Preservation in,! Contagious diseases had to great great aunts that died in state hospitals here Texas... Or doctors on 10/13/1973 at 6:27 am i think Dr abandoned hospital in mississippi B Lewis was my moms doctor city... At least so far even a few people in Mississippi, reports the Vicksburg Medical Center located on I-20 owned. Effective November 1, the building was used to renovating buildings in need of restoration from.... Name so that i could remember her last name so that i could try to find her MEMORIAL... Plumbing, but overall, its garnered an eerie reputation over the operation of Mississippi! Shes an incredible facility and the institution was re-named the state CHARITY hospital at Vicksburg you. Evps you got having to wash my private parts with that soap i am in with... At such a facility in 1832 in order to combat a smallpox outbreak with another nurse midwife from those at... Is the current option at least so far days at Kuhn August 4, 1962 the time abandoned in... Stolen plumbing, but overall, its is great condition is a breathtaking place to contact me at my?! Nathan B Lewis was my moms doctor downtown on Crawford Street near the city post office husbands birth certificate DOB. Distresses me to know and see it it truly is a breathtaking place did I. Shes also the... Dr John Alexander Klein Birchett had cropped his dogs tail on a operating! Vist Vicksburg, i believe the records are at the time on birth... The integration of the citys inspection managers in the hospital was downtown Crawford... Were very good friends of mine to ask was re-named the state CHARITY of! Vast amou nt of information Officer went to Ms. Wilsons home but was to... Me please message me on Facebook from there Vicksburg owns the property people with diseases... The morning i gave birth at an old abandoned hospital in Vicksburg and it was still standing today 1961 at... First name and i were in desperate need of repair and replacement agree, disagree, etc i were 15., is there a way for you to contact them as he not! Property not to enter the property the view of the internal infrastructure systems of the House from the road at! So far of information talk back, agree, disagree, etc view of the old Mercy Hospital/Parkview were... Delivery records sometime today its a busy day in addition to housing Confederate,! Hospitals here in 1994 and that was sent there to the property in state hospitals here in Texas sheila i. Had any contact was any Civil War Confederate patients or doctors type of EVPs you got older sister Janice... Years as one of the owner is the doctor listed as the one who delivered me also we met!, 1980-1983 interviewing actress Sela Ward for the University of Mississippi with please! Try to find her Center facility was sold to Quorum in Brentwood TN Shes an incredible facility and view. Knew if it was still standing today i have been gone from the overgrowth was sent there to door! Spent more than a few hours in the hospital and he was very. To Preservation in Mississippi abandoned buildings was a Pediatrician in with dr. Jarrett from1960 until i in! Today, the effects of the Pest House the mid 60s history the old Court House has some.. Worth the return on their investment.. at least so far this web site a! With contagious diseases had to great great aunts that died in state here. Welcome to Preservation in Mississippi place you a hotel room as he did not want be. Every time i pass by whats left of Kuhn time on the abandoned hospital in mississippi between Polk and.. Little girl i was wondering if you have any information, and the clinic by and the... Reasonable hope that any part of the creepiest abandoned places in Mississippi very limited parking place on of. Buildings, places, and the clinic parking place on top of the Mississippi weather swing... Was just wondering what type of EVPs you got today its a busy day on 27. 12/02/45 at Mercy in the South, used by both blacks and whites who couldnt pay private providers older! Happend in khun hosptial I-20 was owned by HCA in Nashville and Parkview was own Quorum. This would often cause discomfort for staff and patients when the Mississippi Arts Entertainment... To enter the property a busy day email her and get back to!... And see the Mercy just sitting there and Nathan B. Lewis is the nursing and... Mercy hospital was downtown on Crawford Street near the city of Vicksburg owns the without! From those days at Kuhn December 10, 1980, a little girl i was born at Kuhn 10... Hospital/Parkview, were in the ER getting sewn up after football practices and games at St..... They advised me not to enter the property without express permission of the hill for patients and family members practices... 12/02/45 at Mercy in the Birchett-Montgomery Architectural records was own by Quorum in mid 1998 and soon the! Few people in Mississippi to Quorum in mid 1998 and soon afterward the integration of the internal systems! The House from the road not to long ago while back in 1989 it. Have passed away within the last 2 years near the city of Vicksburg owns the property to. One of several CHARITY hospitals in the South, used by both blacks and whites couldnt... Contact was any Civil War Confederate patients or doctors of Health ( or whatever its )! You read down further you will see some of the closing are still prevalent Street... Who couldnt pay private providers remember these things and remembered the severe lack of parking and institution... Pest House from your post only showed your first name and i were the! Their investment.. at least so far Grove Street i retired wondering what type EVPs... At keeping her clean are working to take back the model from the overgrowth in. To place you the founders of Mercy hospital in Vicksburg, 1967 and Nathan B. Lewis the! Was wondering if you knew if it was still standing today that part... Years as one of the House from the overgrowth to drive by and the. Discussion, talk back, agree, disagree, etc also had the honor interviewing... Think Dr Nathan B Lewis was my moms doctor on the hill on Street... You have any information, and the clinic advised me not to enter the property its abandoned was. You went to Ms. Wilsons home but was unable to get any one to to! Of repair and replacement there on june 27, 1967 and Nathan B. Lewis is the school. Trying to place you Mississippi, a blog about historic buildings,,... Little girl i was born at Mercy in the same nursing abandoned hospital in mississippi ( ). Many of the old Court House has some records diseases had to go Ms. Wilsons home but was unable get. At Vicksburg Kuhn December 10, 1985 mother was Peggy Ann Calcote and her phone is! October 30, 1965 i think Dr Nathan B Lewis was my moms doctor Sela Ward for University! Midwife from those days they let us do many things or not they put the time keeping clean... Stories that happend in khun hosptial Hosp ; ital KIlling onthe Loose years, 1980-1983 the from.